• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide [GUIDE] Root Pixel 6 Pro "raven" with Magisk

Search This thread

RetroTech07

OK back in, rooted, and Google Pay is working now that I have followed some notes in https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/working-safetynet-with-pixel-6-pro-android-12.4354149/ and installed safetynet fix 2.2.0.
What's the best way to drag files from a Pixel 2 XL to the P6 with usb-c cable? I was trying to find a way to see the other device in Solid Explorer but nothing surfaced, even after changing usb mode to file xfer. Any tips? Thx
I just did a search in the play store and found this app. Maybe it'll help you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenovo.anyshare.gps

Also, they have a safetynet 2.2.1 release.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
OK back in, rooted, and Google Pay is working now that I have followed some notes in https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/working-safetynet-with-pixel-6-pro-android-12.4354149/ and installed safetynet fix 2.2.0.
What's the best way to drag files from a Pixel 2 XL to the P6 with usb-c cable? I was trying to find a way to see the other device in Solid Explorer but nothing surfaced, even after changing usb mode to file xfer. Any tips? Thx
Interestingly, I just tested with the P6P OEM USB-C cable between my P6P and my Pixel 1 XL. On the P1, I was able to go to the notification shade, click on "Android System - Connected to Pixel 6 Pro", choose "MTP Host", and "Open with Files" (although "Open with Files by Google" might've worked too.

So I was able to see my P6P from my P1. I wasn't able to reciprocate, but at least it worked easily for me working from the P1 side -> P6P.

Y-1tPEhU-zehtr4AKWGIL4afce_p6s6ZzFYWJBUjY-2SkW_eAOblIE2YAnBAh0WtMAjBwUu7fdvCxgFpI663wxRbGqgaA6cgQHILXP3UwqfH-I28MUK3QnIaMTMu4rc7xw1-aV8ToUpIDLGVb37Iq4b1V-M5ta2KycLZAN8kBa0Q3AuPQVWEXbNV5NU_h9GO1UeFMHBGhBpcePjbNI9y0iqiuBrslc6to9uRdqGwPJFYnQsnPtFzRAgPjwKdNxmIRItd18OCAGssn_CoGNkbmwQPR07NcaOU9syuNl_BVVA-nP9yPlygmzXjMB-sx6oceN6-wZC0fmjiJsdAeNpoNyM8gdbb7A1rXwtYBVd5BqMCLWmwcpzG-jN5w1SNOMnCSnRRiPgwwTDpfG-n2FQHvfU23FukmKIqk0tnUqDTMwtea8EVMGhgUaLTZDBVAWGPhx1G7gPnHE8SBzKOmhjNMLnBEOB0tA3oLY2J49P4JtnCeKMGNhlBRL-BG6GMofqz4iQa3a8zPeqE9fUj1F3bMlMRbr3VCQov73-4dvUfg33HErXygKARHTqm1k7oIyCUy7V6wuvuLxIGJP980N64H4ywNInEUJdeH9OVfNU-Vw28U7FXEZX2GGdqlGyAtkhPMND9zQG0XjRppzFl0eGcjktcNAEWPjlt4cH99UuayhlBqHxghoXPFkPAAGGq93QkBSK28goRTn4G19nhavfzXmurew=w725-h1288-no

Reactions: mac796

CPngN

Apr 18, 2012
Bay Area, Ca
Hmm very cool. I get no MTP option on either phone! And it seems one always has to be charging, you can't leave both as not charging. That's strange. WHy can't it just be a data line?!
Guess I'll keep poking around.

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

fil3s

Aug 30, 2014
bendigo
mobiledevices11.blogspot.com

You could use this app. It has an otg function. I bought pro and subscribed to the cloud feature 😀

Gordietm

Sep 11, 2012
Toronto
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm rooted on a P6Pro with magisk canary. Whenever I reboot, the phone stays stuck on the Google G. I have to turn the phone off and force a reboot. Then it boots up fine. Anyone else experience this and what do I need to do so that it boots up the first time?

• Wow

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
After many years i'd like to root again. But i am afraid that my banking and some authenticators won't work anymore. Can i reliable hide root for those apps?
Depends on how complicate the app's root checking is ;-) Your mileage may vary.
Use Magisk's DenyList.
Authenticators work when they are on the DenyList. I use MS Authenticator and Microsoft apps (Outlook, Teams, Intune portal) which hook into my work environment.
And also 'hide' the Magisk app itself.
Use Magisk canary 23016.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
hey V0latyle can you add the instruction to "hold power and press up after entering recovery mode" to the Sideload ota instructions. I always forget and get frustrated that i can't adb in broken android screen.
That's a basic step, and as I pointed out in the OP, this guide is not meant to be dummy proof. Users are expected to know how to use and navigate bootloader, recovery, ADB, etc.

If it makes you feel any better I sometimes forget the key combo too...mostly because I never use recovery and I don't use the sideload method.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
After many years i'd like to root again. But i am afraid that my banking and some authenticators won't work anymore. Can i reliable hide root for those apps?
Depends on the app. Best to go over to the Magisk thread and do a search for the apps you intend to use. Root, unlocked bootloader, etc. can be hidden from most apps by a variety of methods, but not all.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Edit: Ninja'd by @Lughnasadh for a change. :D

I (and a few others in the exact same circumstance as myself) only had trouble with one particular banking app (once everything was hidden properly, etc - as the directions in the OP detail), and it wasn't that the app itself wouldn't work, it would work completely except trying to register the fingerprint reader. Others found the solution that temporarily using the unrooted stock kernel allowed the fingerprint reader to be registered with that particular banking app, and then you could flash the rooted kernel again, and everything would still work including the fingerprint reader.

I know that outside the United States, some folks have reported trouble with some particular banking apps. If you want to find out in advance, you could use the search field at the top when you're in the P6P section, select the option to only select this forum, and search for the names of some of the banking apps you use to see if anyone has mentioned them in particular. Or you could just try root and see, but might be easier to search first especially if you have a lot of different banking apps.

Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: Lughnasadh

miss

Dec 27, 2006
Xiaomi Mi 9
estoy en rom el 36 de noviembre
yo era root, asi que vea la imagen de arranque de noviembre para perder la raiz
Actualicé a enero por ota adb, falló 7 en 47%
Al reiniciar, perdí las opciones de desarrollador y tocando 7 veces en la compilación no abre las opciones de desarrollador.
como puedo recuperarlos
Edito, por ota en android tampoco se actualiza

No sé cómo, pero he logrado actualizar siguiendo esto
actualice el zip completo y actualice el gestor de arranque antes de actualizar todo
[GUÍA] Rootear Pixel 6 "oriole" con Magisk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

hey V0latyle can you add the instruction to "hold power and press up after entering recovery mode" to the Sideload ota instructions. I always forget and get frustrated that i can't adb in broken android screen.
    That's a basic step, and as I pointed out in the OP, this guide is not meant to be dummy proof. Users are expected to know how to use and navigate bootloader, recovery, ADB, etc.

If it makes you feel any better I sometimes forget the key combo too...mostly because I never use recovery and I don't use the sideload method.
    I just did a search in the play store and found this app. Maybe it'll help you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenovo.anyshare.gps

Also, they have a safetynet 2.2.1 release.
    I just got my P6Pro. I updated to the new Jan release this morning, grabbed the newly released factory image, unziped, pushed boot.img, patched with 8-day-old Magisk Alpha, pulled back to laptop, then did "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23016_Ugb2J.img" and "fastboot reboot". Then I shut down and restart and... I'm back at the Fastboot Mode with "Enter reason: reboot bootloader" or "Enter reason: boot failure". Device state shows as unlocked as expected. It pushed to slot b and also states that on the fastboot page.
    Why can't I boot back up? There's not that many steps!
    You JUST got your P6P? Why are you using Magisk Alpha? You should use that at your own risk as it is not stable enough. Use the Magisk Canary 23016 app instead.

Did you follow the proper root steps as outlined here?

Sounds like you missed a step or did something incorrect...
    just to verify. It said last updated was 8 days ago. Is this correct? Do I just flash it through magisk app?
    If you don't know how to change Magisk channels, you shouldn't be using alpha.

Also, I don't provide support for Magisk; look for the discussion link at the end of the OP.

Lastly, keep it civil in the thread. There's a difference between someone who was too lazy to follow the instructions vs someone who is having a genuine problem.
    Depends on how complicate the app's root checking is ;-) Your mileage may vary.
    Use Magisk's DenyList.
    Authenticators work when they are on the DenyList. I use MS Authenticator and Microsoft apps (Outlook, Teams, Intune portal) which hook into my work environment.
    And also 'hide' the Magisk app itself.
    Use Magisk canary 23016.
    This may be some welcome news to some of you:

Magisk Alpha now supports installing to the inactive slot on Pixel devices, which should simplify things for those of you who prefer to update via OTA.

This is Alpha software, use at your own risk! It will probably break some things! The last commit failed to build, but I am sure it'll be fixed soon.

Github download page
    Tried rebooting again? Since I haven't messed with Outlook in many years, no idea if it's normal for it to detect despite everything else. Might be detecting the unlocked bootloader or OEM unlocking toggle enabled, which as far as I know, there's no way to hide either.
    I figured it out... There are lots of dependant apps for my corporate email and though I had them all hidden, I didn't realize that checking the box didn't fully hide all parts of each app. So after expanding Outlook, Company Portal, etc. And ensuring everything was hidden, rebooted and it now works!
    As @Lughnasadh pointed out, verity and verification are enabled by default. They cannot be manually enabled; they can only be manually disabled.

Now that disabling them is not necessary, you simply do not need to worry about them. They don't need to be re-enabled. All you have to do next update is not think about them - it's literally that simple.

For the sake of information, those flags are set when the /vbmeta partition is written. Magisk is not involved in that process in any way.
    solved! I had a module that was causing the bootloop. Member P6P pointed out to me that it could be a module and he was right the tulsadiver mod. To solve it i flashed the original boot.img which allowed me to get into the system. i activated safe mode and booted right to bootloader. I then flashed patched boot.img and booted to system which was in safe mode. this deactivated all magisk mods. i then Booted back to system and BOOM! no bootloop! unistalled the tulsa mod and rebooted back to rooted dec update! Thanks P6P for that input.
    If you have a PC and adb, a easier method is to use that command while booting
    Bash:
    adb shell magisk --remove-modules
    So I'm not a novice at rooting/updating, but not an expert either lol. So just wanted to ask for some clarification on a couple things. First, after patching the boot.img the first time(and renaming it to master boot.img), I can use that same one for future updates(without having to keep repatching boot.imgs)? Secondly, in the past I've learned you shouldn't update via automatic OTA if rooted, but you can do it now, and just flash the patched boot.img + direct install to reroot again? Am I understanding that correct; is that the safest way? Thanks!
    Not really, no (you can't keep re-using it). The kernel (boot.img) changes every month. Plus, Magisk (and Magisk Canary, such as 23016 that we have to use for the December update) changes especially to keep root working for new updates, so you should always patch the new boot.img each month with the newest Magisk (not necessarily Canary, but for now, yes the latest Canary build).

It has certainly been dangerous to try to take automatic OTAs in the past, some folks say you can now but I'm going to remain cautious. I always update manually using the full firmware zip. You need the full firmware zip to get the new boot.img out of anyway. That is safer.
    If you are looking for my guide on a different Pixel, find it here:

Update 12/15/21: Magisk 23016 incorporates fixes for vbmeta header patching; disabling verity/verification is no longer necessary. Update and root should work as it always has.

Additionally, for users of the 6 and 6 Pro, 23016 fixes the fstab issue that broke root on the December update.

Due to this fix, users of the Pixel 4a (5g), 5, 5a, 6, and 6 Pro MUST use Canary 23016 or newer for root.

If you have already disabled verity/verification because you used a previous version of Magisk, you do not need to re-enable them; they are enabled by default when the /vbmeta partition is written, unless the "--disable-" options are used. The only thing you have to worry about next update is literally just updating your device.

DO NOT substitute Magisk Stable, as it does not yet include the necessary fixes for this device!

WARNING: YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE. THIS GUIDE IS WRITTEN WITH THE EXPRESS ASSUMPTION THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH ADB, MAGISK, ANDROID, AND ROOT. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Prerequisites:

As many of you know by now, in order to run a patched boot image on Android 12 requires disabling Android Verified Boot.

Verified Boot on Android 12 devices, at least Pixels with the SD765G and Tensor, is tied to device encryption. Therefore, disabling Verified Boot requires a wipe, if it was not previously disabled.

To make this clear:
    Verified Boot is disabled by flashing /vbmeta with disable flags:
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img
    Verified Boot is enabled by flashing /vbmeta without flags:
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

Booting the device essentially "locks" the vbmeta state.

I know this is confusing, Bear with me:

If you previously disabled vbmeta, you MUST ensure it is disabled again when you update, BEFORE you boot. If you do not, you will have to wipe to regain root.

Unfortunately, the update process enables Verified Boot by default, because it writes /vbmeta without flags.

This means that the automatic OTA, or any other update process without intervention, WILL enable Verified Boot, which will require a wipe to disable!

Android Source - Setting up a device for development

1. Follow these instructions to enable Developer Options and USB Debugging.
    2. Enable OEM Unlocking. If this option is grayed out, unlocking the bootloader is not possible.
    3. Connect your device to your PC, and open a command window in your Platform Tools folder.
    4. Ensure ADB sees your device:
      Code:
      adb devices
      If you don't see a device, make sure USB Debugging is enabled, reconnect the USB cable, or try a different USB cable.
      If you see "unauthorized", you need to authorize the connection on your device.
      If you see the device without "unauthorized", you're good to go.
    5. Reboot to bootloader:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    6. Unlock bootloader: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock
      Select Continue on the device screen.

1. Install Magisk on your device.
    2. Download the factory zip for your build.
    3. Inside the factory zip is the update zip: "device-image-buildnumber.zip". Open this, and extract boot.img
    4. Copy boot.img to your device.
    5. Patch boot.img with Magisk: "Install" > "Select and Patch a File"
    6. Copy the patched image back to your PC. It will be named "magisk_patched-23xxx_xxxxx.img". Rename this to "master root.img" and retain it for future updates.
    7. Reboot your device to bootloader.
    8. Flash the patched image:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot <drag and drop master root.img here>
    9. Reboot to Android. Open Magisk to confirm root - under Magisk at the top, you should see "Installed: <Magisk build number>

1. Take the OTA update when prompted. To check for updates manually, go to Settings > System > System Update > Check for Update
    2. Allow the update to complete. Your device will reboot without root as the OTA overwrites the patched boot image.
    3. Reboot your device to bootloader.
    4. Boot the master root image
      Code:
      fastboot boot <drag and drop master root.img here>
      Note: If you prefer, you can download the factory zip and manually patch the new boot image. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    5. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    6. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.

1. Download the OTA.
    2. Reboot to recovery and sideload the OTA:
      Code:
      adb reboot sideload
      Once in recovery:
      Code:
      adb sideload ota.zip
    3. When the OTA completes, you will be in recovery mode. Select "Reboot to system now".
    4. Allow system to boot and wait for the update to complete. You must let the system do this before proceeding.
    5. Reboot to bootloader.
    6. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
      Note: If you prefer, you can download the factory zip and manually patch the new boot image. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    7. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    8. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.

Please note that the factory update process expects an updated bootloader and radio. If these are not up to date, the update will fail.
    1. Download the factory zip and extract the contents.
    2. Reboot to bootloader.
    3. Compare bootloader versions between phone screen and bootloader.img build number
      Code:
      fastboot flash bootloader <drag and drop new bootloader.img here>
      If bootloader is updated, reboot to bootloader.
    4. Compare baseband versions between phone screen and radio.img build number
      Code:
      fastboot flash radio <drag and drop radio.img here>
      If radio is updated, reboot to bootloader.
    5. Apply update:
      Code:
      fastboot update --skip-reboot image-codename-buildnumber.zip
      When the update completes, the device will be in fastbootd. Reboot to bootloader.
    6. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
    7. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    8. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.

1. Follow the instructions on the Android Flash Tool to update your device. Check the "Skip reboot" box.
    2. When the update completes, the device will be in fastbootd. Reboot to bootloader.
    3. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
    4. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    5. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.

This is my configuration that is passing Safety Net. I will not provide instructions on how to accomplish this. Attempt at your own risk.

Zygisk + DenyList enabled
    All subcomponents of these apps hidden under DenyList:
    • Google Play Store
    • GPay
    • Any banking/financial apps
    • Any DRM media apps
    Modules:
    • MagiskHide Props Config 6.1.2 (automatically installed) - MHPC GitHub
    • Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.2.1 - USNF GitHub
    To check SafetyNet status:
    I do not provide support for Magisk or modules. If you need help with Magisk, here is the Magisk General Support thread.

Points of note:
    • The boot image is NOT the bootloader image. Do not confuse the two - YOU are expected to know the difference. Flashing the wrong image to bootloader could brick your device.
    • While the Magisk app is used for patching the boot image, the app and the patch are separate. This is what you should see in Magisk for functioning root:
      screenshot_20211218-194517-png.5486339
    • "Installed" shows the version of patch in the boot image. If this says N/A, you do not have root access - the boot image is not patched, or you have a problem with Magisk.
    • "App" simply shows the version of the app itself.
    • If you do not have a patched master boot image, you will need to download the factory zip if you haven't already, extract the system update inside it, then patch boot.img.
    • If you prefer updating with the factory image, you can also extract and manually patch the boot image if desired.

Credits:
    Thanks to @ipdev , @kdrag0n , @Didgeridoohan , and last but not least, @topjohnwu for all their hard work![/SPOILER]
    My update process is to remove vbmeta.img (in addition to removing the -w flag in the flash-all script) from the factory zip before I flash it in fastboot. Seems to have worked so far, ymmv.
    This may be some welcome news to some of you:

Magisk Alpha now supports installing to the inactive slot on Pixel devices, which should simplify things for those of you who prefer to update via OTA.

This is Alpha software, use at your own risk! It will probably break some things! The last commit failed to build, but I am sure it'll be fixed soon.

Github download page
    Now THIS is a useful thread! Thanks 👍

I might try to root my P6P this week-end.

If I already took the OTA from Google, can I just go to #6? (there's no data on my phone yet, just BL unlocked)

"6. Reflash vbmeta to disable boot verification"
    Idk about that might work but would mess something else up...i remember this issue happening a couple of updates in the past and magisk was the issue and needed an update. So i would suggest dont flash Dec build to keep root lol factory reset(which might work) or just wait for an update to Magisk. Should be out later today if anything hopefully...if they made the dev aware
    I left topjohnwu a note on twitter, hopefully he'll take a look into it rather soon