How To Guide [Guide] Root Pixel 7 Pro with Magisk + Unlock Bootloader + Pass SafetyNet + More

Search This thread

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So the head post is wrong? There is no information about flashing factory image
The instructions in the OP are not wrong. They are manual instructions for Unlocking the bootloader/Returning the Phone to Stock/Locking the bootloader.

The instructions for (manually) flashing the Google Pixel 7 Pro Factory image are in the OP, Part II, 2?

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
This is exactly why this thread and the other thread not by @roirraW "edor" ehT should be closed because they're incomplete. This one even had the wrong Magisk flashing method for weeks before it was fixed.

Note the instructions here are correct

First, before you post you should read the post you are replying to that would help you give an educated reply not an opinionated reply.
You never answered the members question, gave an unrequested link and gave an unrequested link.
Second, you should read the OP to verify the post you are replying to is correct. The instructions in the OP are not wrong.
Third, @roirraW "edor" ehT doesn't need you to advertise his thread. His work speaks for itself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: HipKat

EtherealRemnant

First, before you should read the post
Second, you should read the OP to verify the post you are replying to is correct. The instructions in the OP are not wrong.
Third, you didn't post any instructions, you posted a link to the Dec 2022 Factory image.
That link is in the OP under Prerequisites.
Fourth, make sure your facts are correct before you try to correct someone.
The link that I posted goes to the third post in that thread where the instructions are. Click the link before assuming I messed up.

From that link, scrolled past other important resources, there is a section in the same post about how to unroot:

How to unroot
One of these two options:
  1. Official Google Android Flash Tool (OEM Unlocking needs to be toggled on - you do not have to manually unlock the bootloader - their site will do that on its own).
    Select the options to:
    • Wipe
    • Force flash all partitions
    • Re-lock bootloader

I watched this thread for weeks with the wrong information for how to root when the phone dropped - it used the old boot image patching instead of the new init_boot patching and people were pointing it out and it wasn't being fixed. I don't understand why we need to have three different threads with basically the same info when the moderator thread is the only one that is updated quickly. It just confuses people when the info is out of sync.

I won't argue back and forth with you though, it's a waste of my time. ✌️

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The link that I posted goes to the third post in that thread where the instructions are. Click the link before assuming I messed up.

From that link, scrolled past other important resources, there is a section in the same post about how to unroot:

I watched this thread for weeks with the wrong information for how to root when the phone dropped - it used the old boot image patching instead of the new init_boot patching and people were pointing it out and it wasn't being fixed. I don't understand why we need to have three different threads with basically the same info when the moderator thread is the only one that is updated quickly. It just confuses people when the info is out of sync.

I won't argue back and forth with you though, it's a waste of my time. ✌️
"The link that I posted goes to the third post in that thread..."
You are right, that links goes to @roirraW "edor" ehT thread. I apologize.

"From that link, scrolled past other important resources, there is a section in the same post about how to unroot..."

All you have to do to unroot your Pixel 7 Pro phone is flash the init_boot.img to both slots (a and b).

"I watched this thread for weeks with the wrong information for how to root when the phone dropped..."

That is not true, the information how to root is correct.
What is "phone That dropped"?

"- it used the old boot image patching instead of the new init_boot patching and people were pointing it out and it wasn't being fixed."

Not true, no where in this thread will you find instructions to root with a boot.img

"I don't understand why we need to have three different threads with basically the same info when the moderator thread is the only one that is updated quickly. It just confuses people when the info is out of sync."

You are giving your personal opinon.
Opinons are like noses, Everybody has one.

If you prefer using @roirraW "edor" ehT thread use it, but don't bash other threads because of your preferences.
@roirraW "edor" ehT isn't the only moderator that has written guides for Google Pixel phones.

"I won't argue back and forth with you though, it's a waste of my time."

"Argue"
I'm not arguing with you, I'm correcting the incorrect information you posted in this thread.

Last edited:

jake.99x3

Jul 7, 2013
Richmond
Finally got my T-Mobile Pixel 7 pro bootloader unlocked :p Following this guide for root and everything is going smoothly. I was able to get the OEM Unlock setting toggle-able through the support function of the app incase anybody else runs into this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homeboy76

Winstonshead

May 12, 2012
Moscow
The instructions in the OP are not wrong. They are manual instructions for Unlocking the bootloader/Returning the Phone to Stock/Locking the bootloader.

The instructions for (manually) flashing the Google Pixel 7 Pro Factory image are in the OP, Part II, 2?
It's looks like complete instructions to go back for stock/locked bootloader.
I think author should correct that part to save some people from bricks

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It's looks like complete instructions to go back for stock/locked bootloader.
I think author should correct that part to save some people from bricks
Are referring to this set of instructions title (Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader)?

You have to click CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT to see the instructions for those three things. :)

Last edited:
So the head post is wrong? There is no information about flashing factory image

"The link that I posted goes to the third post in that thread..."
What are you writing about, what third post??
Those links do not go to an XDA thread or XDA post.

"From that link, scrolled past other important resources, there is a section in the same post about how to unroot..."

There is no section in those links on how to unroot.

All you have to do to unroot your Pixel 7 Pro phone is flash the init_boot.img to both slots (a and b).

I watched this thread for weeks with the wrong information for how to root when the phone dropped...

That is not true. What is "phone That dropped"?

- it used the old boot image patching instead of the new init_boot patching and people were pointing it out and it wasn't being fixed.

Not true.

I don't understand why we need to have three different threads with basically the same info when the moderator thread is the only one that is updated quickly. It just confuses people when the info is out of sync.

Again, you are giving your personal opinon.
Opinons are like noses, Everybody has one.

"I won't argue back and forth with you though, it's a waste of my time."

"Argue"
I'm not arguing with you, I'm correcting the wrong information you posted in this thread.

Your last two post # 100 and # 103 are opinionated, and full of incorrect information.
@EtherealRemnant isn't wrong. His link does go to the third post of THIS thread; which clearly is a "XDA thread" & "XDA post".
Even though EtherealRemnant didn't wish to clarify with you because English may not be your first language, I am willing...
"when the phone dropped" or "phone that dropped" is American English slang for when the phone (Pixel 7 Pro) first released (back in October 13).
He is correct again in pointing to that section of the thread/post because although the section isn't titled to re-lock the bootloader directly, the steps do include how to re-lock it as one of the "options" using the Official Google Android Flash Tool (option 1 if i recall correctly).
He is also correct in saying how you were incorrect at first when you didn't update your information for the Pixel 7; specifically that we need to patch the init_boot instead of the boot partition (it was apparent you were copying your guide from other devices [most likely Pixel 6] and it was incorrect for this device). It did take you a little while to correct that information. And also for weeks on updating via OTA "and maintain root" (which applies because it would fall under "wrong information on how to root") as you were insisting that using the Magisk "Install to Inactive Slot (after OTA)" was still applicable for our Pixel 7 devices...I know because I was pointing other users to that section of your post who were interested in attempting to do the "usual" applying OTA to inactive slot to retain root for weeks before you all of a sudden finally updated that it doesn't work and it's up to topjohnwu to update the method. I know you must remember that as it was a major shake-up on your guide that you modified as well as you must be aware how long it took you to update that information after initially creating this thread/guide -- as that method had never worked so it would be easy to measure how much time had past between the creation of this thread and when you modified that step.

It is getting kinda confusing that there are a number of rooting guides on here. I follow both of these in attempt to assist users on both and try and consolidate knowledge & experience from both when applicable in hopes to correct any of the "out of sync" info being passed around...

You should also consider adding supplemental info and implement steps to include using the Official Google Android Flash Tool as an option to re-lock the bootloader as that definitely and surely has more success and less-of-a-chance-of-bricking-the-device than attempting to manually run the fastboot commands (as the tool also flashes the factory image instead of merely resetting the phone) as well as it being from Google knows more what it's doing than many novice users -- it's hard to mess up when it's mostly automated and code is specifically written for the specific device and objective.
In my personal opinion, I figure applying a Full Factory Image with the "-w" command intact might be better than merely resetting the device; maybe something is kept (which is bad as for the same reason why the phone needs to be completely stock in order to be successful) by merely resetting it that bricks the phone when re-locking and/or going through the set-up process somehow does NOT keep it in "pure" stock form for the re-lock of the bootloader to be successful -- your steps state to "set up phone" at the end of "return phone to stock" (which you state to do in Step #1 in your Lock Bootloader section) when maybe that's a bad idea when re-locking the bootloader. Again, just my opinion and something you may want to consider...

But yeah...hopefully this helps YOU understand a bit of where the users that are getting confused by your guide are coming from as well as the users that are attempting to clarify things...

Last edited:
Reactions: EtherealRemnant

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
...Even though EtherealRemnant didn't wish to clarify with you because English may not be your first language, I am willing...

...But yeah...hopefully this helps YOU understand a bit of where the users that are getting confused by your guide are coming from as well as the users that are attempting to clarify things...
"...But yeah...hopefully this helps YOU understand a bit of where the users that are getting confused by your guide are coming from as well as the users that are attempting to clarify things"

It is not users you are commenting for it is @EtherealRemnant comments you are trying to defend' "Even though EtherealRemnant didn't wish to clarify""

Three questions:
  1. Did you read my edited post to EtherealRemnant before you posted this?
  2. Did you ever write a post other than this one, identifying any errors in this thread that were not corrected?
  3. I respect your opinion/preference for using the - w to wipe your phone. However, there is more than one wipe a phone. I prefer resetting the phone.
    Do you have a problem respecting other opinions that work?

Additionally, I do have a link in this thread for the Pixel Flasher. If you prefer automated flashing.

Further, this code was corrected October 14, 2022:
fastboot flash init_boot magisk_patched...img
The error was reported October 14, 2022 (see post #3).

Last edited:
Do you have a problem respecting other opinions that work?
dude calm down, where do you get me having "a problem respecting other opinions"?! Having a different opinion does not mean not having "a problem respecting other opinions"...it's simply a different opinion! Even you said "Opinions are like noses, Everybody has one.". Geez...
I literally said "Again, just my opinion and something you may want to consider...", I don't see how that was disrespectful to your opinion nor was it anything but just a mere suggestion...😮💨

"...But yeah...hopefully this helps YOU understand a bit of where the users that are getting confused by your guide are coming from as well as the users that are attempting to clarify things"

It is not users you are commenting for it is @EtherealRemnant comments you are trying to defend' "Even though EtherealRemnant didn't wish to clarify""
It shows that English may not be your first language and/or you have trouble reading... I did not write my post for "users [ I ] am commenting for", it is obviously for YOU in hopes it helps you understand WHERE users are coming from, not FOR them. Because there are users that have been confused by you guide and there is need for some clarification -- either on your part or theirs -- and you would be deluded believing otherwise and that there is no need for clarification. I don't wish to, but please don't make me quote all the posts here of users that got confused by your guide. Winstonshead & Post #106 being just one of them.
And, also again, you misunderstand that I was helping you try to understand EtherealRemnant's English slang; which he "didn't wish to clarify", but I was attempting so -- again, either misunderstanding English and/or you having trouble reading things.

Three questions:
  1. Did you read my edited post to EtherealRemnant before you posted this?
  2. Did you ever write a post other than this one, identifying any errors in this thread that were not corrected?
  3. I respect your opinion/preference for using the - w to wipe your phone.
    However, there is more than one wipe a phone. I prefer resetting the phone.
  1. Dude, you seriously had like 5 "edited posts" to EtherealRemnant, how the hell am I supposed to know which one you're referring to?!?! Or are you referring to the post where you were wrong and incorrectly & mistakenly stated EtherealRemnant did not link to a XDA thread/post? Or the one where you did not understand what it meant when the Pixel first dropped...?
  2. Why did I need to write a post identifying any errors in this thread that weren't corrected for you to have errors for a long time regardless? I'm not responsible for the information on the OP. Who said we had to identify and correct your errors in order to point them out? While it might've been convenient or nice for me to have, it doesn't absolve that there were errors for a long time nevertheless. Me and EtherealRemnant were merely pointing that out, not taking responsibility for it nor coming out like we weren't nice enough to point it out.
  3. You say you respect my different opinion but claim I'm not respecting other opinions just because it's different than mine? Under your logic, you're not respecting my opinion that works because it's different than yours that works...
    In any case, maybe this will put it to rest; I DO respect most of your guide and your opinions on what you include in it.
Additionally, I do have a link in this thread for the Pixel Flasher. If you prefer automated flashing.
Yes, you do, and it is a fine program. I only suggest the Official Google Android Flash Tool because it is, in fact, "official" and therefore safer; Even badabing2003 has a disclaimer stating that there are risks involved with his tool -- especially considering this whole thing was triggered by re-locking bootloader and bricking the device -- because it is mostly developed and kept up with just him while Google has a whole team dedicated to their official one as well as they have the most intimate and complete knowledge in terms of flashing and locking/unlocking bootloaders on its devices.

Further, this code was corrected October 13, 2022:
fastboot flash init_boot magisk_patched...img
The error was reported October 13, 2022 (see post #3).
post #3 is shown as posted on October 14; possibly a whole 24 hours after you created the thread. That's 24 hours of potential ramifications for users who would have followed and gotten into a bootloop because of it. This again speaks to the "out of sync" experience having these multiple guides.
Also, while that mistake was rectified within a day, the mistake in the section of updating by OTA and retaining root went on for far longer than that (weeks by my recollection).
All this was simply pointed out by @EtherealRemnant that there have been some delays in correct information on this guide before...

I sincerely hope this post helps you understand (or at least better understand) some things and I hope you aren't so defensive of the help of clarifying things for you; as taking offense can severely affect objectivity and reception to help and improvement...

Last edited:
Reactions: EtherealRemnant

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Folks tone it down, honestly, we can have constructive civil conversation that leads to better guides.
Stating that threads should be closed down because they contain errors is not conducive to helping the community.
We all come here seeking information we don't have answers to. Many posts contain golden information, and many other have misleading and at times wrong information.

Sifting through many (too many) such posts and extracting relevant accurate details to solve our issues or find our answers is not an easy task, we all need guides that collate and put these notes in one place in a structured format.
I personally at times have difficulty locating a piece of information that I know exists and I have seen it pass by, but can't easily find it for reference or use.

I have followed @Homeboy76 's guides for many years and used it to keep my phone updated, in fact it is one of the foundational source of information that I used to code up the automated UI tool you all know about.

I wouldn't want these guides to disappear because they contained inaccurate information at one point in time.
This is a community that is based on collaboration and synergy, we can all contribute towards making it better, or we can knock it down and destroy it, which you think would be the better path?

Writing a guide and keeping it up to date, and then trying to cover all possible permutations / branches one could / would take from a rand starting point a to an end point b is endless, and if you think you covered it all, soon you'd be asked how can I do this?
Imagine maintaining multiple guides that constantly evolve. It's not like code where you write a good function and make changes in one place and all the references would be automatically resolved.

@Homeboy76 deserves kudos not scolding, even if he makes mistakes, we all make mistakes.
In any case, we know and accept that modding our devices come with inherent risks, we still have the full responsibility to understand what we're doing, and validate the actions we're taking before acting and bricking our devices and if anything goes bad, it's on us, not the other's advice.

Sorry for my rant, hope we can all see the good in each others contributions.

I agree that this, or any other guide, thread should not be closed down. There is a plethora of knowledge & experience in each and every one that everyone would benefit from. As much as it can be confusing or frustrating sifting through the various guides & threads with information all out there and maybe "out of sync", it is still beneficial and worth it and achievable if you know how to go about researching through the threads.
Also, I will say this; kudos should be given to @Homeboy76, for this guide, and for what he has put and continues to put into it. I recognize & respect that there is great value in most (if not all) of his guide and his opinions towards it; far more than anything I have ever said or done on this site.

All this being said, he did not get a "scolding" (if you can even call it that) because of his mistakes that he may have made at some point in the past on this guide, nor was it about this guide/thread being different from others or the unfortunate outcome of a few users that have used this guide. It was the attitude he gave as he got defensive and being insulted unnecessarily at the fact that personal opinions were conveyed, another thread was brought up and referenced, that at some point in the past some of the information of the guide was wrong (which is a fact that can't be escaped, but all threads must be corrected from time to time at one point or another so it shouldn't be taken so gravely), and when suggestions in attempt to contribute to the OP guide as constructive criticisms. He lashed out when the link to another guide was posted overreacting not believing it was even an xda thread, then dismissed that the post was irrelevant because it wasn't as clearly titled or marked like his OP (even though the information was there in a subsection), then "scolded" when it was disagreed on the accuracy of the OP, became defensive when it was pointed out that some corrections have taken some time to be dealt with, then again lashed out and got insulted when given ideas and suggestions to contribute to the guide and diminished them as mere opinions and even accused them as disrespectful just because they were differing opinions...
Point is that it wasn't about the guide's effectiveness & value or whatever past mistakes, it was the attitude and defensiveness at them being pointed out and aversion to constructive criticism, suggestions, & opinions that he was being "scolded" on. Anyone that runs their own thread/guide or tool has to acknowledge that an OP not being able to take constructive criticism and suggestions/contributions is detrimental to the thread/guide/tool as that would be against this being a community for all of us to contribute towards making it better.

If this is taken as a rant, my apologies for it. But I hope it is still considered constructive towards this thread as it is giving appreciation and credit as well as it makes comments to help shape its future...

aziz.yankee

Dec 21, 2015
Tashkent
Hello!
I can't seem to unroot my Pixel 7 Pro, I've tried patching boot.img and init_boot.img and reflashing but root wouldn't happen.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone help please?

Firmware version: image-cheetah-tq1a.221205.012
Platform tools version: platform-tools_r33.0.3-windows
Magisk Version: 25.2 (25200)

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Hello!
I can't seem to unroot my Pixel 7 Pro, I've tried patching boot.img and init_boot.img and reflashing but root wouldn't happen.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone help please?

Firmware version: image-cheetah-tq1a.221205.012
Platform tools version: platform-tools_r33.0.3-windows
Magisk Version: 25.2 (25200)
Are you trying to root or unroot? (because you said you "can't seem to unroot...", but then go on to say you are trying to root).

To unroot:

Flash the stock init_boot.img

Code:
fastboot flash init_boot init_boot.img

To root:

Patch the init_boot.img with Magisk (leave the boot.img alone), then flash the patched init_boot.img

Code:
fastboot flash init_boot <nameofpatchedinit_boot.img>

aziz.yankee

Dec 21, 2015
Tashkent
Are you trying to root or unroot? (because you said you "can't seem to unroot...", but then go on to say you are trying to root).
Sorry, my bad, trying to ROOT.

To root:

Patch the init_boot.img with Magisk (leave the boot.img alone), then flash the patched init_boot.img

Code:
fastboot flash init_boot <nameofpatchedinit_boot.img>
That's what I did but it wouldn't root...what am I doing wrong?

aziz.yankee

Dec 21, 2015
Tashkent
This is the error message I get:

C:\platform-tools> fastboot flash init_boot magisk_patched-25200_fcyG0.img Warning: skip copying init_boot_a image avb footer (init_boot_a partition size: 8388608, init_boot_a image size: 67108864). Sending 'init_boot_a' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 3.405s] Writing 'init_boot_a' FAILED (remote: 'failed to flash partition (init_boot_a)') fastboot: error: Command failed C:\platform-tools> fastboot flash init_boot_b magisk_patched-25200_fcyG0.img Warning: skip copying init_boot_b image avb footer (init_boot_b partition size: 8388608, init_boot_b image size: 67108864). Sending 'init_boot_b' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 3.431s] Writing 'init_boot_b' FAILED (remote: 'failed to flash partition (init_boot_b)') fastboot: error: Command failed

But then I've enabled "Beta Updates enabled" on Magisk, then re-installed Magis, re-patched init_boot.img file then reflashed. It worked. Mysterious Miracle. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ya'll are confusing the heck out of me. Wouldn't 100% be unsuccessful using that link method? As Magisk wants to patch the boot.img and not init_boot.img the Pixel 7 needs?
    I assume you are talking about updating the Magisk version within the Magisk app (via direct install)? If so, Magisk does have the ability to find and patch the init_boot.img. Support for that was added back in March of last year.

You can if you want to.
    I alternate slots each month, but that's just me.
    @badabing2003 @Homeboy76 @Lughnasadh Thanks again for your help. Flashing to both slots with Pixel Flasher went smoothly. Normally I just do a clean install & set up everything from scratch every month but that always takes a lot of time. Now thanks to PF you only need few minutes 👍😀
    fastboot flash boot --slot all init_boot.img causes boot failure (in bootloader Enter reason: boot failure)

I used these commands:

fastboot flash boot boot.img --slot all

fastboot flash init_boot init_boot.img --slot all

But it just keeps bootlooping.

I can`t contact badabing2003 (user restricts who can view his profile).
    You can't contact me?
    I don't have any restrictions, and others do manage to contact me, in any case if there is an issue with the board, use @ to mention me.

None of the commands you used are correct.
    The correct way to use the flags (options) is to specify before the command.
    usage: fastboot [OPTION...] COMMAND...
    Example: fastboot --slot all flash init_boot init_boot.img
    I fixed the links, thanks.

Yeah, that's why that particular set of instructions has a strick through more people are unsuccecessful using this method to install to the Inactive Slot.
    Only thing I do differently is I don't untick auto updates and restart it on the update screen.
    Steps I do
    I see the update notification
    I uninstall Magisk, just restore images
    Go to update screen and let it fully update
    Once the restart button is there on update screen,
    I head over to magisk install to inactive slot,
    After that is done go back to update screen and restart it there via bottom restart button.
    It worked on stock, then I went to android beta, it worked. That was December I jumped back on beta. Then January update did the same way to update.
    I do my monthly updates with PF and I use the steps to install the update to the inactive slot.
    Excellent!
    I have a link to PF in this thread.

Once upon a time a member could install to the inactive slot using these instructions. I want to know has anyone been able to install to the intactive slot on their Pixel 7 Pro phone using the aforementioned instruction.
    [Guide] Root Pixel 7 Pro with Magisk + Unlock Bootloader + Pass SafetyNet + More
    Android Security Bulletin—Febuary 2023
    Pixel Update Bulletin—Febuary 2023

Introduction
    This Guide is for Pixel 7 Pro owners that want to Root their phone, and enjoy the benefits of rooting it. The Guide is divided into three parts: Information, Instructions, and Other.

~ ~ ~ Part I - INFORMATION ~ ~ ~
    1. Disclaimer

• I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
      • The order of listed items i.e., Custom Kernels, Custom ROMS, etc. Does not indicate my preference for them. It is your responsibility to do the research before selecting an item.
    2. Prerequisites

3. Update(s)

• Factory/OTA Images - 6 Feb
      • Magisk Alpha - app-release_555a54ec-alpha.apk 2 Sep
      • Magisk Beta - 25.2 21Jul
      • Magisk Canary - app-release_831a398b -25206.apk 26Dec
      • Magisk Delta -
        app-release
      • Magisk Stable - 25.2 21Jul
      • TWRP - Waiting for T.W.R.P. for Android 13
      • SafetyNet - kdrag0n safetynet-fix-v2.4.0.zip 09Jan
        This version only supports Zygisk (Magisk 24 and newer).
      • SDK Platform-tools - r33.0.3 11Aug
      • Custom Kernels
        Note: If you are using a Custom Kernel, please update using the method in the OP, ~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~, Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data, • Flash Factory Image Keep Data
    4. NEW

• Android 14 Beta for:
        1. Google Pixel 4a5(G)
        2. Google Pixel 5 and 5a
        3. Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
        4. Google Pixel 6a
        5. Google Pixel 7 and 7 Pro
      • The QRP2 Beta Factory/OTA images are up for:

1. Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
        2. Pixel 5 and 5a
        3. Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
        4. Pixel 6a
        5. Pixel 7 and 7 Pro

There are also 64-bit QRP2 Beta Factory images:

1. Pixel 4a (5G)
        2. Pixel 5
        3. Pixel 6
        4. Pixel 6 Pro
    5. My Other Guides
    6. Credits/Thanks/Recognitions

• @topjohnwu - Magisk.
      • @Lughnasadh - for his many helpful contributions to this thread.
      • @badabing2003 - for Pixel Flasher and for his many helpful contributions to this thread.
      • Those I may have, inadvertently, forgotten.
    ~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~
    (The Instructions listed below are not steps, they are individual sets of instructions.)

1. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader

• Unlock Bootloader

1. This will erase all user data from the device!
        2. Backup your data
        3. Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer. Tap back > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and, USB Debugging.
        4. Boot fastboot mode
        5. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        6. Open a Command Prompt on your computer and type fastboot flashing unlock and press enter.
        7. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        8. Allow the process to complete and then type fastboot reboot at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        9. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
          Notes: After unlocking your bootloader, you'll see a warning: The bootloader is unlocked and... You will see this warning until, you relock the bootloader.
          Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock.
      • Return Phone to Stock

1. Backup your data/Internal storage
        2. Use the Android flash tool:
          select Wipe => Force Flash Partitions => Lock Bootloader.
      • Lock Bootloader

1. If your phone is not 100 percent stock do Return Phone to Stock. If you don't you may brick your phone.
        2. This will erase all user data from the device!
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Open a Command Prompt and type this at the Prompt: fastboot flashing lock
        5. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        6. Allow the process to complete, then type this at the Command Prompt: fastboot reboot
        7. Enable Developer Options: Settings > About phone > Tap Build number 7 times or until you see 'you are a developer'.
        8. Tap Back > Developer options and toggle OEM Unlock off.
    2. Install/Update Factory Image keep data, wipe data, or use @badabing2003 PixelFlashers

• Important Note(s):
        1. If the previous factory image was rooted (you used Magisk to patch the init_boot.img of the previous factory image). Open Magisk manager and disable all Magisk modules.
        2. Always verify you have the latest version of SDK Platform-Tools installed on your computer.
        3. If you get an error while flashing, try one of these options:
          • Change the USB port to a non charging USB port.
          • Change the USB cord.
          • Change Computers.
        4. If you phone bootloops
          • Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
          • Press the Power and Volume Down to boot the bootloader.
          • Open a Command Prompt in the SDK-Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
          • fastboot Reboot
        5. Backup your data
        6. Download the latest Factory Image: Pixel 7 Pro - cheetah to your Computer.
        7. Go to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS => 4. Extract the flash-all.bat and the init_boot.img files from the Factory Image.
      • Flash Factory Image Keep Data

• Updating or Upgrading To Android 13
          * * E D I T - flash-all.bat file * *
          Flash to current/Active Slot.
          @Echo off
          PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
          fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-cheetah-aaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
          fastboot reboot-bootloader
          timeout /t 5 >nul
          fastboot flash radio radio-cheetah-a9999a-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
          timeout /t 5 >nul
          fastboot update image-cheetah-aa9a.999999.999.zip
          Note:The -w to Keep Data.
          echo Press any key to exit...
          pause >nul
          exit
          * * * * E N D - Edit * * * *
        • Updating or Upgrading To Android 13
          * * E D I T - flash-all.bat file * *
          Flash to Other/Inactive Slot.
          @Echo off
          PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
          fastboot --set-active=other
          fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-cheetah-aaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
          timeout /t 5 >nul
          fastboot flash radio radio-cheetah-a99999-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
          timeout /t 5 >nul
          fastboot update image-cheetah-aa9a.999999.999.zip
          Note: I removed the -w to Keep Data.
          echo Press any key to exit...
          pause >nul
          exit
          * * * * E N D - Edit * * * *
        • After, you have edited the flash-all.bat file. Copy/Move these files to the Platform-tools folder:
          1. bootloader-cheetah-....img
          2. flash-all.bat
          3. image-cheetah-....zip
          4. radio-cheetah-....img
        • On your phone: Boot the bootloader (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        • Connect your phone to the computer.
        • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        • The phone will reboot when flashing is completed.
        • Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS => 5. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the init_boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Flash Factory Image Wipe Data

• This will wipe your phone's Internal Storage.
        • Do not edit the flash-all.bat file.
        • Open the folder you extracted the Factory Image to and Copy/Move these files to the Platform-tools folder:
          1. bootloader-cheetah-....img
          2. flash-all.bat
          3. image-cheetah-....zip
          4. radio-cheetah-....img
        • On your phone: Boot the bootloader (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        • Connect your phone to the computer.
        • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        • The phone will reboot when flashing is complete.
        • Setup phone
        • Enable Developer Mode and USB Debugging
          1. Setup => About phone => Tap Build number 7 times or until you see you are a 'Devloper'.
          2. Setup => System => Developer options => Enable Developer options => enable USB Debugging
        • Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS => 5. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Use PixelFlasher by @badabing2003
    3. Take the OTA Update and Maintain Root

• XDA member @S8rooted&tooted does this to Take the OTA Update and Maintain Root

...I don't untick auto updates and restart it on the update screen.
        Steps I do
        I see the update notification
        I uninstall Magisk, just restore images
        Go to update screen and let it fully update
        Once the restart button is there on update screen,
        I head over to magisk install to inactive slot,
        After that is done go back to update screen and restart it there via bottom restart button...
    4. Extract the flash-all.bat and the init_boot.img files from the Factory Image.

1. Download the latest Factory image to your phone.
      2. Extract the Factory Image file (cheetah-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder. The, stock, flash-all.bat file should be in this folder.
      3. Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to and extract the Image file (image-cheetah-aa9a.999999.999.zip) into the folder. The, stock, init_boot.img file should be in this folder.
    5. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet.

• Android 13

• Upgrade to Android 13: OP, Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 2. Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data, Keep data
      • Patching the init_boot.img - to root/reroot.

1. Go to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS => 4. Extract files from the FactoryImage/Flash init_boot.img or edit flash-all.bat file.
        2. Install Magisk Canary - Download app-release.apk
          or
          Magisk Beta/Stable App
        3. Open Magisk Beta/Canary/Stable App
        4. The Update Channel should be set to Beta/Canary/Stable, depending on the version you Installed.
        5. Tap Install (next to Magisk)
        6. Tap, Select and Patch a File
        7. Select the init_boot.img file you extracted from the latest factory image.
        8. Tap the ✓ (Check Mark)
        9. Tap Let's Go
        10. When you see done, the init_boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and is stored in the download folder.
        11. Reboot
        12. Copy/Move the magisk_patched....img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder or the folder that has fastboot.exe in it:
          • Copy it to a USB drive and transfer it to your computer.
          • Move it to your computer using adb push
        13. Boot fastboot mode
        14. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        15. Open a Command Prompt in the folder you copied the patched boot.img to.
        16. Type fastboot flash init_boot magic_patched....img at the Prompt and press enter.
        17. Type fastboot reboot at the Prompt and press enter.
        18. Important, if your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
          • Flash the 'stock' init_boot.img to both slots: fastboot flash init_boot --slot all init_boot.img
          • Remove Modules
            1. Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
            2. Press the Power and Volume Down to boot the bootloader.
            3. Open a Command Prompt in the SDK-Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
            4. fastboot Reboot.
        19. Important, if the Magisk Manager app has the Superuser and Module buttons greyed out:
      • Pass Safety Net with SafetyNet Fix

1. Download File(s)
        2. Install kdrag0n safetynet-fix-v2.4.0.zip/Displax's safetynet-fix v2.3.1-MOD_2.1.zip
          • Open Magisk
          • Tap Modules icon
          • Tap Install from storage
          • Navigate to the kdrag0n safetynet-fix-v2.4.0.zip/Displax's safetynet-fix v2.3.1-MOD_2.1.zip file you downloaded.
          • Tap the kdrag0n safetynet-fix-v2.4.0.zip/ Displax's safetynet-fix v2.3.1-MOD_2.1.zip file.
          • Tap the check mark (✓ at the bottom) to start the installation.
          • Note: You do not have to disable/remove SafetyNet Fix.
          • After it installs tap the Save icon to save the log
          • Tap Reboot.
        3. Settings for Magisk
          • Open Magisk App
          • Tap the Setup icon.
          • Scroll down to App and set the Update Channel to Canary.
          • Scroll down to Check Updates and enable it.
          • Scroll down to Magisk and enable Zygisk.
          • Enable Denylist
          • Tap Configure DenyList => Tap 3 Dot Menu => Check ✓ Show system apps => Check ✓ Google Play Store, Google Pay, Google Wallet etc.
          • Scroll down to Superuser and enable Enable Biometric Authentication.
        4. Get Device Certified Clear Google Play Store, Google Play Services, Google Pay, Google Wallet, etc. data[/B]
          • Turn Airplane mode on
          • Open Settings
          • Tap Apps & notifications
          • Tap see all...
          • Tap three dot menu
          • Tap Show system
          • Scroll down to Google Play Store
          • Tap Storage & Cache
          • Tap Clear storage
            Note: Repeat the 3 steps above for Google Play Services, Google Pay, Google Wallet, etc.
          • reboot
          • Turn Airplane mode off
        5. Check Device Certification, It may take 24 hours for Device Certification
          • Open Google Play Store app
          • Tap Menu - Circle top right
          • Tap Settings
          • Tap About
          • Check Play protect certification.
    6. Set Magisk App Update Channel/Update Magisk

• Set Magisk App Update Channel

• Open Magisk App > Tap Settings icon > Update Channel > Select Stable, Beta, Canary or Custom.
      • Update Magisk

1. When Magisk App notifies you of an update:
        2. Tap install.
        3. Select, Direct Install (Recommended)
        4. When it finishes installing
        5. Tap, Save Log
        6. Log location: /storage/emulated/0/Download
        7. Tap, Reboot
        8. Done!
    7. Install/Update Magisk Modules

• Download Modules
      • Install Modules from Storage

1. Open Magisk
        2. Tap the Modules icon
        3. Tap Install from storage
        4. Navigate to the folder with the Module you want to install.
        5. Tap the Module to highlite it and tap Select.
        6. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        7. Tap Reboot
      • Install Modules from Fox2Code/Fox Magisk Module Manager

1. Open Fox2Code/Fox Magisk Module Manager
        2. Tap the Modules icon
        3. Locate the Module you want to install
        4. Tap Install
        5. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        6. Tap Reboot
      • Update Modules

1. Open Fox2Code/Fox Magisk Module Manager
        2. You, will see the Modules that have Updates.
        3. Tap the Module you want to update.
        4. Tap install.
        5. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        6. Tap Reboot
    8. Open a Command Prompt/Boot Fastboot Mode/Boot Recovery

• Open a Command Prompt on Computer
        1. Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type cmd and press enter.
        2. Open a Powershell Command Prompt on Computer: Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type powershell and press enter.
        3. Notes:
          • Enable USB Debugging, on your phone: Settings ==> System ==> Advanced ==> Developer options ==> Scroll down to USB debugging and enable it.
          • When using the Powershell Command Prompt Commands must be preceeded with ./: i.e, ./fastboot devices
          • If you do not want to open a Command Prompt every time you want to use the fastboot command, add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
      • Boot fastboot mode (bootloader):
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
      • Boot Recovery
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode. Press power button.
    9. Test fastboot

• Enable Developer Options - Tap Settings > About phone > Build number 7 times or until you should see 'you are a Developer'.
      • Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options >
        Enable USB Debugging.
      • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder.
      • Boot fastboot mode on your phone
      • Connect the phone to the Computer.
      • At the prompt type: fastboot devices to verify communication with phone. It should return your phone's serial number.
    10. ADB Sideload

~ ~ ~ Part III - OTHER ~ ~ ~
    1. Custom ROMs

• Need help with a Custom ROM?

1. If you are you are trying to install or have installed a Custom ROM, read and follow the Installation Instructions in the OP of the Custom ROM thread.
        2. Search the thread of the Custom ROM you are trying to install or have installed for answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s): If you don't find a answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom ROM thread you are trying to install or have installed.
        3. If you are trying to install a Addon(s) {Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.} to the Custom ROM you installed: Search the thread of the Custom ROM you installed or the thread of the Addon you want to add to your Custom ROMfor answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). If you don't find an answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom ROM or Addon (Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.) thread.
      • ROMs
    2. Themes, Apps, and Mods
    3. T.W.R.P. Backup/Restore

• Waiting for Android 13 T.W.R.P.
    OK The sdk files that I downloaded are from AUG 2022 version 33.0.3
    adb and fastboot are in Windows C: \Platform-Tools
    Here are the directory contents
    Ok for some reason I can't post the contents of the dir. so adb fastboot files and magisk_patched-25200_OKTza.img are in the Platform-Tools directory. Is that what your asking?
    I know what your problem is, I'm trying to be helpful here, but I find it that you are either unwilling or unable to provide the information you're being asked.
    If it is the former, then I don't want to waste my time, if it is the latter, perhaps modding is not for you.
    I'm not asking those for my benefit, I'm asking them so that I provide you precise commands and instructions to get this to work.
    Just because you downloaded a specific version of the SDK does not make it that it is being used.
    How many times I have to ask you the provide the output of the where commands
    You say everything is in C:\Platform-Tools directory, yet your screenshot shows that you are not operating in C:\Platform-Tools directory.
    1670157147221.png

If your need my further assistance, please find a way to supply the information asked of you in this post.
    Apologies if this sounds a bit harsh, put yourself in my shoes.
    Ya'll are confusing the heck out of me. Wouldn't 100% be unsuccessful using that link method? As Magisk wants to patch the boot.img and not init_boot.img the Pixel 7 needs?
    I assume you are talking about updating the Magisk version within the Magisk app (via direct install)? If so, Magisk does have the ability to find and patch the init_boot.img. Support for that was added back in March of last year.

Ok, can we agree using this method may be the safest method to Return phone to stock:
    Use the Android flash tool: select Wipe => Force Flash Partitions => Lock Bootloader.
    I would add to it that doing it to both slots assures that the inactive slot does not have anything non stock on it.
    Update SafetyNet Net Fix Mod
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...al-safetynet-fix-2-3-1.4217823/post-87198517/

Displax's SafetyNet Fix Mod: v2.3.1-MOD_2.1
    • Update module.prop