Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
@Echo off
:: Copyright 2012 The Android Open Source Project
::
:: Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
:: you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
:: You may obtain a copy of the License at
:: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
:: Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
:: distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
:: WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
:: See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
:: limitations under the License.

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-sailfish-8996-012001-1808030001.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-sailfish-8996-130181-1806061856.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -w update image-sailfish-ppr2.180905.006.a1.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit
here is the properties for flash-all bat

yes. the -w is there. something is jamming the bootloader
@Echo off
:: Copyright 2012 The Android Open Source Project
:: Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
:: you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
:: You may obtain a copy of the License at
:: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
:: Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
:: distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
:: WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
:: See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
:: limitations under the License.

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-sailfish-8996-012001-1808030001.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-sailfish-8996-130181-1806061856.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -w update image-sailfish-ppr2.180905.006.a1.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit
here is the properties for flash-all bat

yes. the -w is there. something is jamming the bootloader
Maybe try fastboot format userdata and then flash the factory image again. If that doesn't work maybe try to sideload the OTA image.

Reactions: Rootmaster906

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Maybe try fastboot format userdata and then flash the factory image again. If that doesn't work maybe try to sideload the OTA image.
It finally booted into Android I had to access recovery, wiped twice then it boot looped then i access recovery again and then I wiped it again and then I rebooted it and now it's somewhat working. I was able to flash the Android 9 factory image. Is it safe to take the OTA with an unlocked bootloader?
FYI...I removed the -w flag in flash all

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
It finally booted into Android I had to access recovery, wiped twice then it boot looped then i access recovery again and then I wiped it again and then I rebooted it and now it's somewhat working. I was able to flash the Android 9 factory image. Is it safe to take the OTA with an unlocked bootloader?
FYI...I removed the -w flag in flash all
Yes, you can take an OTA with an unlocked bootloader.

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
To be honest, I'm not sure I can really help with any hardware problems. I've never taken any Pixels apart and am not really a hardware guy. There are probably plenty of YouTube videos which would be more helpful than I could be.
If u look at the output in cmd window, u will see not in archive this...not in archive that....img..etc. Is that normal? Could u plz look at it again. ? Tyvm

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Last edited:

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Yes, thats normal.
If it boots, boot safe modee then reboot.
Then do the following:
- Make sure you download the Factory image for the pixel 4.
- Do #4 'wipe data'
Why Android 9 (P)?
I would do Android 10 (Q)

After you flash Android 10 (Q) factory image.

Look for a Custom ROM with an updated security patch.
Android 9 was the only one that would boot up

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
To be honest, I'm not sure I can really help with any hardware problems. I've never taken any Pixels apart and am not really a hardware guy. There are probably plenty of YouTube videos which would be more helpful than I could be.
If it's a battery issue or a connector issue why isn't it random rebooting and boot looping while its in recovery and or fastboot?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
If it's a battery issue or a connector issue why isn't it random rebooting and boot looping while its in recovery and or fastboot?
I'm not sure it's a battery issue. I'm just suggesting that it might be because you said you were able to flash an Android 9 stock image fine but then you experienced boot loops. Therefore, if you are pure stock you shouldn't be boot looping and the problem may be a hardware issue rather than software. I think boot loops usually occur when you are in the OS or trying to boot in the OS.

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
@Rootmaster906
Suggestion
Try using the Flash Tool to flash your Pixel 4 back to public.

Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices
...You can flash factory images using the tool by clicking the Flash links below and following the onscreen guidance. Full Flash Tool instructions are here. In order to return your device to the latest public state you can flash back to public...

...Back to latest public build
If you want to return your Pixel device to the public build you can flash back to the latest factory image and lock your device here...

If it flashes back to the latest public factory image and 'all is well' you can look for and install a Custom ROM (Android Q/R) with the latest security patch on your Pixel 4. :)
I have a pixel (sailfish) flash tool won't work on it. Not a pixel 4.

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
I'm not sure it's a battery issue. I'm just suggesting that it might be because you said you were able to flash an Android 9 stock image fine but then you experienced boot loops. Therefore, if you are pure stock you shouldn't be boot looping and the problem may be a hardware issue rather than software. I think boot loops usually occur when you are in the OS or trying to boot in the OS.
I think one of the slots is corrupt. With these a&b slots the pixels will boot from one slot to another. Did you ever contemplate that?

Rootmaster906

Dec 2, 2020
Nexus 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Yep it is official. This phone is fubar. I have flash all kinds of otas, factory images, I even use the flash tool, I even fastboot set active the slots and flashed roms on both slots ...this phone just keeps boot looping no matter what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] Root Pixel XL + Unlock/Lock Bootloader + Install Custom ROMS + Update Magisk/Systemless Root

Introduction
    This Guide is for Google Pixel XL owners that want to Install/Flash Custom ROMs, and enjoy the benefits of rooting it. The Guide is divided into three parts: Information, Instructions, and Other.

~ ~ ~ Part I - INFORMATION ~ ~ ~
    1. Disclaimers

1. I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
      2. The order of listed items i.e., Custom Kernels, Custom ROMS, etc. Does not indicate my preference for them. It is your responsibility to do the research before selecting an item.
    2. Prerequisites

• A Pixel XL phone with an unlocked bootloader.
      • A Custom ROM (Update(s) 9. below).
      • A Computer with a working version of Platform-tools installed:
        Platform-tools 33.0.3
        Platform-tools 34.0.4 - Is Ok for sideloading OTA images.
      • Before installing SDK Platform-tools, check for older versions of fastboot on your computer: Open a Command prompt and type fastboot --version at the prompt. If a adb/fastboot is found delete the folder containing them. Also, check the path environment for paths to them and remove it.
      • Update Platform Tools, regularly, for optimal performance.
      • Need Google's USB Drivers for your Pixel Phone?
    3. NEW

[*]Updates

1. Magisk Alpha - [URL='https://github.com/vvb2060/magisk_files/find/alpha/']app-release_ae9d270a-alpha-26201.apk
      1. 28 Aug
      2. Magisk Beta - Magisk v26.3.apk 4 Sep
      3. Magisk Canary - app-release_d4e552d0-26301.apk 4 Sep
      4. Magisk Cygisk - Click Pages 5 for installation Instructions.
      5. Magisk Delta - app-release
      6. Magisk Stable - Magisk v26.3.apk 4 Sep
      7. TWRP - TWRP Android 9 for marlin
        Waiting for T.W.R.P. for Android 11 (R).
        [*]SafetyNet - Displax's safetynet-fix-v2.4.0-MOD_1.3-...zip
        [*]SDK Platform-tools - r34.0.4 Jul 2023
        [*]Custom ROMS and Kernels

[*]My other guides

[*]Credits/Thanks/Recognitions

1. @topjohnwu - Magisk
      2. Those I may have, inadvertently, forgotten.

~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~
    (The Instructions listed below are not steps, they are individual sets of instructions.)

1. Open a Command Prompt/Boot Bootloader/Boot Recovery

• Open a Command Prompt on Computer
        1. Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type cmd and press enter.
        2. Open a Powershell Command Prompt on Computer: Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type powershell and press enter.
        3. Notes:
          • Enable USB Debugging, on your phone: Settings ==> System ==> Advanced ==> Developer options ==> Scroll down to USB debugging and enable it.
          • When using the Powershell Command Prompt Commands must be preceeded with ./: i.e, ./fastboot devices
          • If you do not want to open a Command Prompt every time you want to use the fastboot command, add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
      • Boot fastboot mode (bootloader):
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
      • Boot Recovery
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode. Press power button.
    2. Test ADB (Android Debug Bridge)/fastboot

• ADB
        1. Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > About Phone > Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
        2. Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
        3. Type this at the prompt to test ADB.
          adb version
          It should return a version number for ADB.
      • fastboot
        1. Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > About Phone > Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
        2. Open a Command Prompt on your computer.
        3. Boot Bootloader
        4. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        5. Type this at the prompt and press enter to test fastboot.
          Code:
          fastboot devices
          It should return your device serial number.
    3. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader

• Unlock Bootloader

1. Backup your data/Internal storage
        2. Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > System > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you're a Developer.
        3. Tap back > Developer Options and toogle OEM Unlock on and, toggle USB Debugging on.
        4. Boot Bootloader
        5. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        6. Open a Command Prompt on your computer and type fastboot flashing unlock and press enter.
          This will erase all user data from the device!
        7. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        8. Allow the process to complete and then type fastboot reboot at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        9. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
          Note: After unlocking your bootloader, you'll see a warning: Your device software can't be checked for corruption. Please lock the bootloader. You will see this warning until, you relock the bootloader.

Important: Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock.
      • Return Phone to Stock

1. Backup your data/Internal storage
        2. Settings > System > Advanced > Reset Options > Erase all data (factory reset)
        3. Log in
        4. Set up phone
      • Lock Bootloader

1. Important: Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock..
        2. Boot bootloader
        3. Open a Command Prompt and type this at the Prompt: fastboot flashing lock
        4. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        5. Allow the process to complete, then type this at the Command Prompt: fastboot reboot
        6. Set up your phone.
        7. Enable Developer Options: Settings > System > About phone > Tap Build number 7 times or until you see'You are a Developer. Tap Back > Developer options and toggle OEM Unlock off.
    4. Install/Flash Custom ROM with @badabing2003 PixelFlasher
    5. Install/Update Magisk Modules

• Download Modules
      • Install Modules from Storage

1. Open Magisk
        2. Tap the Modules icon
        3. Tap Install from storage
        4. Navigate to the folder with the Module you want to install.
        5. Tap the Module to highlite it and tap Select.
        6. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        7. Tap Reboot
      • Install Modules from Fox2Code/FoxMagiskModuleManager

1. Open Fox2Code/FoxMagiskModuleManager
        2. Tap the Modules icon
        3. Locate the Module you want to install
        4. Tap Install
        5. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        6. Tap Reboot
      • Update Modules

1. Open Fox2Code/FoxMagiskModuleManager
        2. You, will see the Modules that have Updates.
        3. Tap the Module you want to update.
        4. Tap install.
        5. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        6. Tap Reboot
    ~ ~ ~ Part III - OTHER ~ ~ ~
    1. Custom ROMs for Pixel XL

• Need help with a Custom ROM?

1. If you are you are trying to install or have installed a Custom ROM, read and follow the Installation Instructions in the OP of the Custom ROM thread.
        2. Search the thread of the Custom ROM you are trying to install or have installed for answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s): If you don't find a answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom ROM thread you are trying to install or have installed.
        3. If you are trying to install a Addon(s) {Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.} to the Custom ROM you installed: Search the thread of the Custom ROM you installed or the thread of the Addon you want to add to your Custom ROMfor answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). If you don't find an answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom ROM or Addon (Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.) thread.
      • ROMS
      • Themes, Apps, and Mods
    Well I'm kind of making progress. Let me tell you what I did... I flashed a factory image of the latest one Android 10...after the flash it began to bootloop once again... I button combo into fastboot and went ahead and locked the bootloader... Chose reboot and every time it boots it boots right back into stock recovery...I factory reset it 3 to 5 times, reboot and once again reboots right back to stock recovery.. I took some pictures of the recovery logs in recovery...I am really adamant about fixing this issue as I have heard that a lot of people are experiencing it.. take a look at my pictures homeboy. to my surprise I am able to go back into fastboot and lock and unlock the bootloader at will. After looking at the pictures what do you think that the issue is?
    I admire your tenacity to get your Google Pixel fixed.

I am not a Google Pixel technician, so I cannot help you fix your Google Pixel. My guide is for a Google Pixel XL operation not maintenance.

Maybe your best resource is Google search.
    1. Google Pixel - XDA Developers Forums
    2. Welcome to the Google Pixel Help Community
    3. Fix a Pixel phone that's restarting or crashing
    4. Google Pixel Forum

Have a nice day! :)
    hi guys I am not new to modding phones. However it has been a long time for me. I did have my 6p running on lineage for a while. But then I got the pixel xl and have had pixels ever since. I have not had a need to root or modd them. I currently have the 4xl and my wife has the 3a xl so I have this pixel xl sitting around. I want to get back into modding a little bit. I just need some guidance.
    Currently I have downloaded the latest sdk for windows I will need a little assistance with that for example how do I put adb and fastboot into the root directory so I dont have to go through typing all the file paths in. I also downloaded the latest stock .img so I have a clean install if anything goes crazy.
    Now I need to know where to start. I assume unlocking the bootloader is the same as the 6p. But after that do I install twrp then use that for magisk to get root? Once I have those questions answered I can probably take it from there. I would like to try out different roms and kernels and other mods. Sorry for the noob questions I just want to get it right. I always learn stuff on this fourm and thats why I love it.
    Start by reading the guide: Introduction, Disclaimers, Update(s), Prerequisites, and Index (Numbers 1 to 11).
    Why?
    ...how do I put adb and fastboot into the root directory so I dont have to go through typing all the file paths in.
    - There is a link in Prequisites c. (Need help installing or using SDK Platform-tools) that describes editing your Path Variable.

"Now I need to know where to start. I assume unlocking the bootloader is the same as the 6p."
    - Assume nothing, several people have bricked their phone(s) assuming. Read #3 in the guide.

"But after that do I install twrp then use that for magisk to get root?"
    - T.W.R.P. does not work with Android 10 to root: Read #9 to root.

There is no need to apologize for the "noob questions". Everyone on XDA was a "noob" at some point in their life.
    :) I hope you all have a Joyful Holiday season with your family and loves ones. :)

~ ~ ~ Stay safe ~ ~ ~
    Hey, first off thanks for the guide. I have been experiencing the same boot issue that a few others have. I am on the latest version of everything, android sdk, latest factory image, latest magisk (tried both stable and canary). I can patch the boot.img with magisk and after i flash the magisk_patched.img, i reboot the phone and it sticks on the google "G" with the progress bar underneath it. I am on the same build number as the one I downloaded ending in 007.A1, using the same boot.img from it. When it hangs up, I can flash the same boot.img that I used magisk to patch and reboot the phone and it is back to normal and goes right to the lock screen. I could be wrong, but it appears that my issue is with the boot.img being patched with magisk somehow. Any advice or help is appreciated, thanks.

edit: When it sticks on bootloop, i can still use a command prompt to "adb reboot fastboot" and then flash the stock boot.img and it boots normal.

Were you rooted on the September factory image?
    Did you fastboot flash boot --slot all magisk_patched.img?
    SDK Platform-tools r29.0.5?
    Read this it might help.