[Guide]{Root}{Recovery} How to Root and install Recovery on Locked BL for NOOBS

Search This thread

G-FACE

Jul 9, 2010
Plovdiv
How to root Xperia Z3 with Locked Bootloader

• Move all your important data from Internal storage to a computer and remove SDcard (make this in case you loose something)
  • You need to have firmware version 23.0.A.2.93 (for D6603/D6653) or 23.0.F.1.74 (for D6633) installed on your phone. If not, please download ftf file and flash it with Flashtool (newer firmware versions will fail root:
  • Start the phone, don't make any initial setup. Skip it and go directly to Settings > About Phone. Tap 7 times on Buld number and a Developer options will be activated.
  • Go to Settings > Developer options and tick USB debugging an Allow mock locations.
  • Go to Settings > Security and tick Unknown sources, untick Verify apps.
  • Enter your phone in Flight mode
  • Download giefroot rooting tool v3.1 and extract the files on your PC (Windows only). [original thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/giefroot-rooting-tool-cve-2014-4322-t3011598]
  • Connect your phone to the computer.
  • Start install.bat
  • If until that moment you have never connected you phone to this PC via adb you will get a popup message on you phone to authorize this computer. Do it.

• The procedure will start. After a while your phone should restart by itself.
  • After the phone boots up wait until a popup from SuperSu appears asking for adb shell root rights. Do it.

• When you give the permission you have to see on the computer the sign "Device rooted".
  • If it says Device not rooted repeat all the steps running install.bat again.

Big thanks to:
@zxz0O0
@serajr
and to all involved

How to install Recovery on Xperia Z3 with Locked Bootloader

• Download ES File explorer or you favourite Explorer with root rights and mount /system rw.

• Download Z3 Dualrecovery on your computer. (If the link is broken go to http://nut.xperia-files.com/ > XZDualRecovery and look for Z3 installer)
  • Extract the zip on your PC and start install.bat
  • Choose option 1 and follow the on screen instructions.
  • The phone will test reboot to Team Win Recovery.
  • Restart your phone and you are good to go.
  • You now will have a new application NDR Utils, which can easily boot you phone to the chosen recovery.

Big thanks to:
@[NUT]
and to all involved

How to update to Lollipop (23.1.A.0.690) or to KK (23.0.1.A.5.77) or newer firmware version without loosing root

• Follow this guide here
or

Big thanks to:
@meetdaleet
@G-FACE

Nice video tutorial made by @ogunja

And another video tutorial made by @Koogly
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
-

Last edited:

joakim_5937x

Jan 6, 2011
If I at some point would like to return to stock completely (not rooted no dualrecovery etc.) after rooting using this method could I just flash the Stock Firmware with flashtool?

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Buddy i already have an upgraded firmware v23.0.1.A.5.77
Could you tell me how can i downgrade it so that i can root without losing warranty.

Thanks in advance:)

Use flashtool (From flashtool.net) to flash the downgraded FTF file found in the FTF mega collection thread

EDIT @G-FACE, thanks for the reminder, the file you need is also, conveniently, found in the OP of this thread.

Last edited:

munsabin

Mar 29, 2013
Toronto
This is legit man. Really needed this noobed down version. The main thread was getting full of bs.
@[g-face] a few quick questions that I saw some ppl were having issues w/

(I'm running d6603 global, .77FW)

Read / Write r/w system access is solved from what I understand - correct?

Read / Write r/w to SD card solved as well (read a few quick comments about ppl experiencing issues w/ this).

Some people were experiencing issues w/ Xposed not working (r/w or something), can you please point me to a good guide on how to get Xposed running well w/ no issues foreseeable.

Again, really appreciate this. Cheers.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

MOD EDIT OP quote removed @gregbradley
Tried this but the same issue as with another procedure I tried.
"Drivers need to be installed for connected device"
Why? I selected which FTF fw file the flashtool should be using, but it's still giving me this error. So strange that no one has had this issue, even though no guide mentions that one needs to install these drivers... :S

Last edited by a moderator:

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Why? I selected which FTF fw file the flashtool should be using, but it's still giving me this error. So strange that no one has had this issue, even though no guide mentions that one needs to install these drivers... :S

Maybe others actually install the drivers then
Goto C:\Flashtool\Drivers
and run
drivers.exe
Choose fastboot, flashmode and Z3 drivers

Then try again. The guides also do not mention that you have turn the PC on, some sort of self help in overcoming errors does help. If it says drivers need to be installed, install them...

PS, also there is never a need to quote the whole OP, I will edit that out for you

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanksug and G-FACE

munsabin

Mar 29, 2013
Toronto
This is legit man. Really needed this noobed down version. The main thread was getting full of bs.
@[g-face] a few quick questions that I saw some ppl were having issues w/

(I'm running d6603 global, .77FW)

Read / Write r/w system access is solved from what I understand - correct?

Read / Write r/w to SD card solved as well (read a few quick comments about ppl experiencing issues w/ this).

Some people were experiencing issues w/ Xposed not working (r/w or something), can you please point me to a good guide on how to get Xposed running well w/ no issues foreseeable.

Again, really appreciate this. Cheers.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

MOD EDIT OP quote removed @gregbradley

Ohhh...and this happens even after I do go into the Drivers folders where's there's an .exe run program, and I install the XperiaZ3 Drivers.

G-FACE

Jul 9, 2010
Plovdiv
If you are running Windows 8/8.1 you need to allow installation of unsigned drivers.

No problems with rw access if you follow the steps. Xposed installs normaly, as always, no problem installing it.

Rw access to SD is solved by installing SDfix from Market. I did it, and it's working as expected.

Sent from my Leo toy using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

fmorcego

Feb 1, 2008
Aveiro
@gface only if he read a lot like I do he find the way not easy the part of win8 but have a great vídeo on you tube about.... Try to search for fastboot win8 8.1. After that is easy to install with Gface tut

munsabin

Mar 29, 2013
Toronto
Choose the flashmode and fastboot drivers as well

I got it to flash .93 BUT now I keep having these freaking annoying pop ups... android.process.core and android.process.media has stopped. (I flashed btw without removing data)

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

If you are running Windows 8/8.1 you need to allow installation of unsigned drivers.

No problems with rw access if you follow the steps. Xposed installs normaly, as always, no problem installing it.

Rw access to SD is solved by installing SDfix from Market. I did it, and it's working as expected.

Sent from my Leo toy using Tapatalk.
I got it to flash .93 BUT now I keep having these freaking annoying pop ups... android.process.core and android.process.media has stopped. (I flashed btw without removing data)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root Xperia Z3 with Locked Bootloader

• Move all your important data from Internal storage to a computer and remove SDcard (make this in case you loose something)
    • You need to have firmware version 23.0.A.2.93 (for D6603/D6653) or 23.0.F.1.74 (for D6633) installed on your phone. If not, please download ftf file and flash it with Flashtool (newer firmware versions will fail root:
    • Start the phone, don't make any initial setup. Skip it and go directly to Settings > About Phone. Tap 7 times on Buld number and a Developer options will be activated.
    • Go to Settings > Developer options and tick USB debugging an Allow mock locations.
    • Go to Settings > Security and tick Unknown sources, untick Verify apps.
    • Enter your phone in Flight mode
    • Download giefroot rooting tool v3.1 and extract the files on your PC (Windows only). [original thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/giefroot-rooting-tool-cve-2014-4322-t3011598]
    • Connect your phone to the computer.
    • Start install.bat
    • If until that moment you have never connected you phone to this PC via adb you will get a popup message on you phone to authorize this computer. Do it.

• The procedure will start. After a while your phone should restart by itself.
    • After the phone boots up wait until a popup from SuperSu appears asking for adb shell root rights. Do it.

• When you give the permission you have to see on the computer the sign "Device rooted".
    • If it says Device not rooted repeat all the steps running install.bat again.

Big thanks to:
    @zxz0O0
    @serajr
    and to all involved

How to install Recovery on Xperia Z3 with Locked Bootloader

• Download ES File explorer or you favourite Explorer with root rights and mount /system rw.

• Download Z3 Dualrecovery on your computer. (If the link is broken go to http://nut.xperia-files.com/ > XZDualRecovery and look for Z3 installer)
    • Extract the zip on your PC and start install.bat
    • Choose option 1 and follow the on screen instructions.
    • The phone will test reboot to Team Win Recovery.
    • Restart your phone and you are good to go.
    • You now will have a new application NDR Utils, which can easily boot you phone to the chosen recovery.

Big thanks to:
    @[NUT]
    and to all involved

How to update to Lollipop (23.1.A.0.690) or to KK (23.0.1.A.5.77) or newer firmware version without loosing root

• Follow this guide here
    or

Big thanks to:
    @meetdaleet
    @G-FACE

Nice video tutorial made by @ogunja

And another video tutorial made by @Koogly
    Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
    -
    Awesome Guide!!

The Guide is really good.. i was Able to make a video on Flashing this.. i think i am a bit late but here it goes..
    Part 1:- Get the Required Files

Part 2:- Flashing new Firmware and Rooting

Part 3 Is coming soon which shows the Flashing the Dual Recovery Script
    (Sorry For having this Part Wise but the process was too long to squeeze into one video)

Hope this helps!
    So I just rooted my 4.4.4 xperia z3 with this method and I installed gravity box, now I know I can retain gravity box by flashing a zip file but will I retain root access if I officially update using Xperia System Update? Does Sony ship LP yet or should I just go with CM?

I would go here....http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/development/stock-firmware-23-0-1-5-77-generic-t3012376 flash that zip and maintain root and also make sure you flash a custom recovery to keep root also and flash the above zip, and recovery can be found in the op.
    Also specific to your question, once you update you will lose root.

Here are the steps I would do (you have done some already..)
    1. root
    2. flash custom recovery....
    3. update to .77 using the above link and flash using the custom recovery
    4. If you want to ever go back to stock us flashtool to flash the ftf file...http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=920746
    5. Find the ftf file here...http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/pc-xperifirm-xperia-firmware-downloader-t2834142
    6. make your own pre -rooted ftf file from here using ...http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/tool-prfcreator-easily-create-pre-t2859904

Of course the order can change...but that is what essentially has to be done, and some of it has already been done such as the zips already made, but if you know how to do it yourself that is always better.

It is actually pretty easy to do, the threads once put all together in a sequence make sense to me...hope this helps and does not confuse you!!

Good luck>>>
    How to root my xperia z3 sol26(japan version) looked BL . help please

Sent from my SOL26 using XDA Free mobile app
    just like D6653's root method
    1/ using flashtool to flash FTF version can be rooted (such as: D6653_23.0.A.2.93_Customized_20IN.ftf) (note: remember to exclude partition)
    2/ root with giefroot method (search in forum)
    3/ install recovery (search in forum)
    4/ prepare prerooted version from stock ftf file (such as: 23.0.C.0.350_KDDI-JP) by using PRFCreator.
    5/ boot into recovery and flash prepared prerooted version in step 4
    6/ flash RICDefeat.zip for different kernel for D6653 (search in forum). this step can be done along with step 4 (after finishing step 5, do not reboot system but flash file in step 6)
    7/ if necessary: using flashtool to flash stock ftf file (such as: 23.0.C.0.350_KDDI-JP) (note: remember to exclude partition, system)
    Hello guys,

I've finally made an account on xda. I need help, so if someone could provide it, it would mean the world to me.

I read a lot of the posts in this thread because i want to root my z3. I understand most of it, but i struggle on some things, so i don't really dare to root my z3. It's updated with the laters marshmallow sofware. I understand i have to downgrade it, but how do i do that and what exactly do i do after that? And is the risk high with rooting my z3? Any help would be appreciated gents!

Alan

If you are on the latest firmware. 291 give a look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/sho... Inviato dal mio D6633 utilizzando Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone