[GUIDE][ROOT][TWRP-MOTOMODS] How To Root Moto Z with SuperSU

Search This thread

TobiPeter

Twrp for Griffin
I tried twrp 3.2....
I replaced the name with recovery
I replaced the name with twrp.img

No luck

Have you moved with cmd to the folder in which you have twrp.img?

Example: you have saved twrp.img on your desktop (C:/Users/user_name/Desktop).

Then you enter "cd C:/Users/user_name/Desktop" in cmd.
Then you can try it again.

Last edited:

gogo1984

Sep 29, 2014
Have you moved with cmd to the folder in which you have twrp.img?

Example: you have saved twrp.img on your desktop (C:/Users/user_name/Desktop).

Then you enter "cd C:/Users/user_name/Desktop" in cmd.
Then you can try it again.

drag and drop the file from filemanager to CMD window, and ENTER.
That's it. :cowboy:

LitD

Sep 13, 2013
I followed this method and successfully rooted my 7.1.1 XT1650-03 reteu, (TWRP, TurboZ kernel and Magisk).
My next OTA is NPL26.118-20-5 and I obviously can not install it. Is there a simple way to get OTAs again without loosing my settings, apps and data?

evnimaster

Nov 19, 2010
Xiaomi Poco F3
I followed this method and successfully rooted my 7.1.1 XT1650-03 reteu, (TWRP, TurboZ kernel and Magisk).
My next OTA is NPL26.118-20-5 and I obviously can not install it. Is there a simple way to get OTAs again without loosing my settings, apps and data?
Unfortunately, update with otq packages or even sideloading it require an untouched and not rooted formware. Only stock rom and recovery. You must revert back by using fastboot to get back to original firmware

LitD

Sep 13, 2013
Unfortunately, update with otq packages or even sideloading it require an untouched and not rooted formware. Only stock rom and recovery. You must revert back by using fastboot to get back to original firmware
I know this ;)
My question is what exactly to load using fastboot (kernel and recovery for sure) and how to do it to avoid the risk of loosing my settings, apps and data

Fangthane420

Mar 30, 2017
I've looked thru the last 5 pages or so and haven't found anyone posting with the issue I'm having. When I submit my device ID string, it ends up telling me that my "device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking." Is it possible I've maybe done something wrong? I kinda doubt it, since the process is relatively simple. Anyone had this issue when trying to unlock their XT1650 bootloader?

G.Ribeiro

Sep 4, 2015
João Pessoa
Sorry for my ignorance, but is there any 64-bit TWRP and custom rom 64 bits also for the xt1650? I did not find any comment about it. Or is everything already in 64 bits in this version? Thanks :Boa:

imad7x

May 13, 2016
Root on Oreo

Has anyone tried this method on Oreo 8.0?
Or is there any other way to root on Oreo on Moto Z?

imad7x

May 13, 2016
I've looked thru the last 5 pages or so and haven't found anyone posting with the issue I'm having. When I submit my device ID string, it ends up telling me that my "device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking." Is it possible I've maybe done something wrong? I kinda doubt it, since the process is relatively simple. Anyone had this issue when trying to unlock their XT1650 bootloader?

You gotta unclock developer mode and enable the option "OEM unclocking"

Reddmist

Jan 27, 2013
BOISE
www.2a-arms.com
Same

I am having the same issue, OEM Unlocking in Dev Ops is enabled, all current drivers, etc

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
How to root ?
  1. flash my custom modded TWRP(with Battery Mod Support) : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
  2. flash latest TurboZ Stock kernel with TWRP : TurboZ_*_N(or 7.1.1)_Stock.zip
  3. flash latest SuperSU by chainfire with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
  4. (optional) flash latest magisk with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
  5. Reboot system

I'm on stock android oreo. Can this method work or is there another way? I cant find anything

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download-SuperSU-2.56.jpg
    someone should write tutorial about rooting, and clarify things about new nougat so let's start
    there's 2 way to root stock N :
    old phh's superuser
    and new systemless superSU, i'm gonna show this way
    first make sure you have stock boot partition (not rooted, installed turboZ is OK) and absolutely unlocked bootloader : How to Unlock Bootloader

How to root ?
    1. flash my custom modded TWRP(with Battery Mod Support) : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    2. flash latest TurboZ Stock kernel with TWRP : TurboZ_*_N(or 7.1.1)_Stock.zip
    3. flash latest SuperSU by chainfire with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
    4. (optional) flash latest magisk with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
    5. Reboot system

FAQ :
    • Can I mount system as R/W? or swipe "allow system modification" in TWRP first screen?
      Yes But just after Mounting, you need to flash TurboZ Kernel otherwise bootloop will happen​
    • Can I update superSU in future?
      Sure​
    • any Side Effects?
      Not Yet, Please test and tell me how's going on​
    • Can I root This Installed Nougat? : https://xdaforums.com/moto-z/development/android-nougat-moto-z-versions-t3506342
      Yes​
    • What About OTA and New Updates ?
      after flashing kernel you can't install(sideload) OTA's, so you have to back to stock and not rooted system, update then root again​

ScreenShots :
    No no force encryption is only on data partition
    Your errors is because of out dated encryption blobs on TWRP I'll update them soon with newer version

thank you so much!
    can't wait to test some roms

:fingers-crossed:
    If anyone asks why the kernel is necessary when mounting system as R/W.

This is because by default, dm-verity is enabled, and will prevent the phone from booting if it detects an unauthorized change in the system partition. Flashing the kernel will disable dm-verity, which makes it a must if you're going to be using the stock ROM but plan on making changes to the system via root access and whatnot.

If you're going to flash a custom ROM, many already come with their own kernel which disables dm-verity (and forced encryption), so flashing a custom kernel that disables it isn't needed if the ROM already has one (it most likely does). However, I do still recommend that you flash a custom kernel on the stock ROM anyway as it makes it less painful if you choose to go back to a stock ROM as you don't need to flash an entire factory image* just to make your phone work due to dm-verity being an ass. It also gives better performance, so it's quite a win-win. ;)

* - You may be able to get around this by just flashing the boot image and then installing the kernel, but I have not tested this.
    As of now, this still worked for me. From stock, I did all the OTA updates, then I followed the listed procedure and I found success!

It would be great if the first post included some instructions, like get android tools, find fastboot, use "fastboot flash recovery twrp..." etc.
    It works.. Thanks :)