[GUIDE] root, unlock, kk and flash back to jb [READ OP!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
Believe me, in Razr forum is ok how it is in others, more popular devices. People will just skip the first post and all below, scroll down and make a question while the answer is one post above :D

ModernZombie

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks

it is supposed to write the system over and over and over, it breaks it down into small blocks and send then writes a little at a time.
thats how it is supposed to work.
Yep - makes perfect sense now, and I am unlocked and back on JB now.

I have a question for my own edification. When I was fumbling around, I flashed KitKat and unlocked the bootloader just like the instructions said. However, then I tried to skip the part of the instructions where I was advised to use RSD to flash JB back; instead, I just tried to use the KitKat bootloader to (a) factory reset, (b) format /system, and (c) install my preferred custom ROM with gapps. This did not work; however, the phone would not boot. So my question is, why was it necessary to use RSD to flash the JB image file from the OP, before I could successfully flash a modern ROM and boot?

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Because the roms that are compatible with the 4.4.2 bootloader are still in development and the 4.1.2 based roms no workie on the 4.4.2 bootloader. So you downgrade first then flash a compatible rom.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bweN diorD

nich61197

Jul 2, 2014
ok just did all the steps but when i try to put jb on the phone useing rsd when it gets to the bootloader thing my phone goes black is that normal or what do i have to do to get onto jb let me know if ya need a screenshot or if someone wants to help me like through teamviewer or some other remote conection

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
ok just did all the steps but when i try to put jb on the phone useing rsd when it gets to the bootloader thing my phone goes black is that normal or what do i have to do to get onto jb let me know if ya need a screenshot or if someone wants to help me like through teamviewer or some other remote conection
make sure you are using the original moto usb cable
re-download the file and try flashing again
possibly try another usb port also.

i just took my maxx hd with 4.4.2 cwm and root,
downloaded the stock file from below to make sure its good,
then flashed back to jb
flashed no problems and booted right to jb 9.30.1

nich61197

Jul 2, 2014
for those of you who just wanted to unlock and want to go back to JB, or just want to go back to JB for any reason after unlocking.
flash this in rsd (many tutorials on how to use RSD can be found on Google)
i already edited the stock file so you dont have to do it

where it says this would it be that one? because when slashing it in rsd "reboot-bootloader" is where it stoped and i looked at my phone and the screen looked off aka it was black and not on the fastboot screen nvm thank you it worked this time now hopefully i can get it flashed over to pageplus

Last edited:

fqx

Jul 4, 2014
I followed the instruction but get bootloop after flash back to jb. Phone always reboot at the startup animation, already tried multiple jb rom (stock and MIUI). 4.4 stock is fine, CM11 is also fine (except no audio from ear speaker).

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
As long as you use my jb file from the op it should work fine. I reverified the file to be working properly the other day.
There must be something wrong on your end. Bad USB cable, bad download, some issue with your PC, and other possibilities.
You are going to have to try different things to figure out the issue, there isn't a way to say what the exact issue is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
@bweN diorD

I have a question, I am on 4.1.2 I think using Matt's utility on the RAZR HD MAXX, if I did a nandroid backup while in JB and then update to KK using the script and if the script results in the phone going into a bootloop, can I go back to JB if I recovered from the JB nandroid backup or is there something else I need to do in order to get the nandroid backup to work?

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
@bweN diorD

I have a question, I am on 4.1.2 I think using Matt's utility on the RAZR HD MAXX, if I did a nandroid backup while in JB and then update to KK using the script and if the script results in the phone going into a bootloop, can I go back to JB if I recovered from the JB nandroid backup or is there something else I need to do in order to get the nandroid backup to work?
If the utility flashed OK then it bootlooped on reboot, try going into recovery and doing a factory reset.
You may be able to use an old nandroid, but it hasn't been proven that I'm aware of, so I don't want to give you bad information.
If the factory reset doesn't work, I would run the utility again. It has been proven to work fine many times over.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
If the utility flashed OK then it bootlooped on reboot, try going into recovery and doing a factory reset.
You may be able to use an old nandroid, but it hasn't been proven that I'm aware of, so I don't want to give you bad information.
If the factory reset doesn't work, I would run the utility again. It has been proven to work fine many times over.
What I'm trying to avoid is a factory reset since that would defeat the purpose of the nandroid as the nandroid is just in case something goes wrong, I can just flash back to whatever I was running before I did the upgrade. I would prefer a clear data in recovery over a factory reset. I had to ask the nandroid question since it seems like one cannot go back from kk to jb easily but I wonder if nandroid backups would work differently. I actually found the answer in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-razr-hd/help/to-jb-t2828307

So it seems like I just have to use titanium backup to be on the safe side...

Last edited:

iBolski

Nov 30, 2010
Columbus, OH
What I'm trying to avoid is a factory reset since that would defeat the purpose of the nandroid as the nandroid is just in case something goes wrong, I can just flash back to whatever I was running before I did the upgrade. I would prefer a clear data in recovery over a factory reset. I had to ask the nandroid question since it seems like one cannot go back from kk to jb easily but I wonder if nandroid backups would work differently.
If your nandroid is from a JB kernel backup, it won't work. You cannot go back to JB ROMs once upgrade to KK.

Now, if you want to preserve your data, you could get Titanium Backup Pro and it will allow you to retrieve and reinstall your user apps from the nandroid backup, but it's a long process per app.

But, if you want to go back to a JB-based ROM after upgrading your phone to KK, then that is not an option anymore. It won't work because you still, in essence, the KK-kernel code in a trusted zone that cannot be overwritten without official software released by motorola that would allow it to downgrade the trusted zone.

Last edited:

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
If your nandroid is from a JB kernel backup, it won't work. You cannot go back to JB ROMs once upgrade to KK.

Now, if you want to preserve your data, you could get Titanium Backup Pro and it will allow you to retrieve and reinstall your user apps from the nandroid backup, but it's a long process per app.

But, if you want to go back to a JB-based ROM after upgrading your phone to KK, then that is not an option anymore. It won't work because you still, in essence, the KK-kernel code in a trusted zone that cannot be overwritten without official software released by motorola that would allow it to downgrade the trusted zone.
I thought it was the KK bootloader that has some kind of security that won't allow the JB nandroid backup to work but isn't there anyway to go back to a JB bootloader after KK is installed. I am using Titanium backup pro but the restore process will take a few days as I have over 500 apps and I usually like to backup and restore manually one app at a time. I don't really want to downgrade to JB as I am trying to use the script utility that bweN diorD put out to upgrade to KK without wiping data but I know there is always a chance that the upgrade will loop and the only way around that is to clear data and then restore manually from titanium backup. I just thought that if I had nandroid backup, if I mess up, I can just go back to the JB I was running before.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
I thought it was the KK bootloader that has some kind of security that won't allow the JB nandroid backup to work but isn't there anyway to go back to a JB bootloader after KK is installed. I am using Titanium backup pro but the restore process will take a few days as I have over 500 apps and I usually like to backup and restore manually one app at a time. I don't really want to downgrade to JB as I am trying to use the script utility that bweN diorD put out to upgrade to KK without wiping data but I know there is always a chance that the upgrade will loop and the only way around that is to clear data and then restore manually from titanium backup. I just thought that if I had nandroid backup, if I mess up, I can just go back to the JB I was running before.
as long as the script flashed then looped afterwards, the kk software is on the phone and the trust zones have been updated.
maybe @SamuriHL could weigh in here. i just dont positively know it is not possible. i believe you would at least have to flash the jb recovery to even try it.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
The partition table was changed between JB and KK, along with the bootloader. That being said, what you want is this:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/50095-how-tomobile-downgrader-flash-back-10-07-15-14/

*READ FULLY before touching anything*. It is not my utility and it's not something I've used but appears to do what you want.

Be aware that your nandroid isn't going to help you in this situation.
ahh yes, i forgot there might be a partition issue also.
exactly why i call those with superior knowledge lol :)

thanks

Wulfpk

Aug 24, 2014
First time using XDA. I've had the same kk update problem as a lot of ppl it seems. This tool worked like a charm. Many thanks Bwen and keep up the great work !

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: bweN diorD
Status
Not open for further replies.