[GUIDE] root, unlock, kk and flash back to jb [READ OP!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
The partition table was changed between JB and KK, along with the bootloader. That being said, what you want is this:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/50095-how-tomobile-downgrader-flash-back-10-07-15-14/

*READ FULLY before touching anything*. It is not my utility and it's not something I've used but appears to do what you want.

Be aware that your nandroid isn't going to help you in this situation.
Thanks for your answer... I was just thinking about the worst case scenario since nandroid is the fastest way to get it back to how it was before but there is always the manual backup using Titanium Backup of each app manually.

I thought one can do it in this way using the utility you mentioned and it will still work..

Use the utility and then go back to a stock rooted 4.1.2 along with replacing the recovery with something that can handle nandroid. then restore the nandroid. That would seem to work since wouldn't getting back to a working stock rooted 4.1.2 already have basically brought the partition and the bootloader back to JB?

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

First time using XDA. I've had the same kk update problem as a lot of ppl it seems. This tool worked like a charm. Many thanks Bwen and keep up the great work !
Just curious but what kind of kk update problems were you having? Verizon sent me a Certified Like New Replacement a few weeks ago and it came with JB and I did the OTA to KK without problems but that phone has been sent back as I only needed to swap the battery and the lower half out since it seems every 7-10 months since I got the original phone, my battery has always gotten swollen and knocked out the back cover.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for your answer... I was just thinking about the worst case scenario since nandroid is the fastest way to get it back to how it was before but there is always the manual backup using Titanium Backup of each app manually.

I thought one can do it in this way using the utility you mentioned and it will still work..

Use the utility and then go back to a stock rooted 4.1.2 along with replacing the recovery with something that can handle nandroid. then restore the nandroid. That would seem to work since wouldn't getting back to a working stock rooted 4.1.2 already have basically brought the partition and the bootloader back to JB?
The short answer is that'll work, yes. It's a bit more complicated than that but in real terms, what you propose should work.

Wulfpk

Aug 24, 2014
---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

Just curious but what kind of kk update problems were you having? Verizon sent me a Certified Like New Replacement a few weeks ago and it came with JB and I did the OTA to KK without problems but that phone has been sent back as I only needed to swap the battery and the lower half out since it seems every 7-10 months since I got the original phone, my battery has always gotten swollen and knocked out the back cover.[/QUOTE]

Basically what was happening is this. I'd get the notification about an update, i'd download the update and then install. The phone would reboot into whatever mode it uses for updating....AP Fastboot I think(really not sure about that) and about two thirds of the way through updating it would stop, reboot, and i'd be back to jb.

Edit: By "updating" I mean it showed an open android with a progress bar under it.
I never had any problems with the battery otherwise it's been a great phone.

Last edited:

americandad

Sep 4, 2014
op updated with minor instruction clarifications.
Thank you for this guide, I'm now on KK rooted, unlocked with custom recovery. Since I'm such a newb at this it didn't all make sense but after more reading and searching I found everything I needed to get it done. Now going to read about custom roms and stuff to see if I want to try that out. Anything you would recommend for a razr maxx hd?

Reactions: bweN diorD

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Thank you for this guide, I'm now on KK rooted, unlocked with custom recovery. Since I'm such a newb at this it didn't all make sense but after more reading and searching I found everything I needed to get it done. Now going to read about custom roms and stuff to see if I want to try that out. Anything you would recommend for a razr maxx hd?
thanks,
i havent used this phone daily since last year, i wouldnt bee good to advise on roms. sorry

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Hey, brother, just a note to let you know that 183.46.15 is being unleashed OTA as we speak and I'm posting FXZ's for both HD and M shortly. As a result of this development, I've closed my root/unlock thread on droidrzr as I do not want the headache of people asking why it's not working, can't I just downgrade, etc. I thought I'd throw a friendly warning your way to let you know it's probably going to be fun...but not for me. LOL.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Hey, brother, just a note to let you know that 183.46.15 is being unleashed OTA as we speak and I'm posting FXZ's for both HD and M shortly. As a result of this development, I've closed my root/unlock thread on droidrzr as I do not want the headache of people asking why it's not working, can't I just downgrade, etc. I thought I'd throw a friendly warning your way to let you know it's probably going to be fun...but not for me. LOL.
thanks,
im downloading it now, and will decide later how to deal with it as far as this thread goes.

thanks again

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
thanks,
im downloading it now, and will decide later how to deal with it as far as this thread goes.

thanks again
Good luck. I think between the two of us we've been able to unlock a damn near majority of phones in the community. At this point if someone's missed the memo and takes this update before unlocking, I'm going to have a hard time finding a lot of sympathy. LOL. I also suspect this will be the last update these phones ever receive so beyond this we're good. But people are going to need to be aware that barring more extreme luck like they had with saferoot and then towelroot, rooting this new build without being unlocked is not going to happen. If by some miracle another wide scale exploit is found then maybe, but, how many times are you gonna hit the roulette wheel? :D

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Good luck. I think between the two of us we've been able to unlock a damn near majority of phones in the community. At this point if someone's missed the memo and takes this update before unlocking, I'm going to have a hard time finding a lot of sympathy. LOL. I also suspect this will be the last update these phones ever receive so beyond this we're good. But people are going to need to be aware that barring more extreme luck like they had with saferoot and then towelroot, rooting this new build without being unlocked is not going to happen. If by some miracle another wide scale exploit is found then maybe, but, how many times are you gonna hit the roulette wheel? :D
yea, im looking at about 2800 downloads of the bl unlock, so shame on them if they miss that boat.
as for root, if 99% of them dont have it unlocked in, they dont deserve it either.
thinking about how rare a blanket root is, and how many dont comprehend that, and feel entitled or take it for granted, just makes me angry.

we'll see how it goes.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
No way to know for sure of course, but the XT926 and XT907 might be the devices with the highest rate of unlocked bootloaders on the VZW network.
That was the idea. ;) we've put in a lot of effort to get people unlocked. I've lost track of how many people I've helped and I'm sure I'm not alone in that effort. I'm glad a really large majority of users were able to take advantage of it. Makes me smile.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Wulfpk

Aug 24, 2014
yea, im looking at about 2800 downloads of the bl unlock, so shame on them if they miss that boat.
as for root, if 99% of them dont have it unlocked in, they dont deserve it either.
thinking about how rare a blanket root is, and how many dont comprehend that, and feel entitled or take it for granted, just makes me angry.

we'll see how it goes.
I'm new here but I get how rare that is... You guys do great work. I'm learning java and html atm so in the future I hope to be helping do the same.

Sent from my xt926

Pow_2k

Aug 14, 2014
Ok, so for clarification... if one is beyond the 183.46.10 version are both towelroot (root) and motoapocalypse (unlocked bootloader) broken, or are users still able to root? Since the guides I've read all seem to be for accomplishing both at once it isn't clear if both are now broken or if only the guides as a whole are broken. I've already taken care of this myself (got my XT926 and found the root/unlock at the right time) but if it is confusing me I'm sure it's confusing others.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
You may not root or unlock if you are beyond 183.46.10. In my threads I've made that very clear to avoid confusion. This is the kind of stuff that's going to cause a lot of problems going forward.

Pow_2k

Aug 14, 2014
Thanks. From discussions that I believe occurred prior to the KK exposure I had seen mention of being rooted but not being able to unlock the bootloader. Wasn't sure where how the various dependencies fit together. I feel lucky that I got in when I did!

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Ok, so for clarification... if one is beyond the 183.46.10 version are both towelroot (root) and motoapocalypse (unlocked bootloader) broken, or are users still able to root? Since the guides I've read all seem to be for accomplishing both at once it isn't clear if both are now broken or if only the guides as a whole are broken. I've already taken care of this myself (got my XT926 and found the root/unlock at the right time) but if it is confusing me I'm sure it's confusing others.
not sure how much more clear i can make it. it says in BIG RED LETTERS at the top of the op:
"LOOK AT YOUR SYSTEM VERSION AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON 183.46.14or15 BEFORE POSTING, THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK AND ROOT WONT WORK."

Reactions: SamuriHL

Pow_2k

Aug 14, 2014
"LOOK AT YOUR SYSTEM VERSION AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON 183.46.14or15 BEFORE POSTING, (neither) THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK (nor) ROOT (will) WORK."

That would have done it for me. As I said, I had seen old threads started before the KK exposure that mentioned root w/o bootloader unlock. Thus I wanted to make sure with the most recent update that it was both operations individually and not just the pair as a whole that are now broken. Apologies if I struck a nerve.

talkl

Nov 23, 2013
Flashing with rsd lite

Hi,

i have 186.46.10 rooted unlocked.
with twrp 2710.
I want to go back to jelly bean.

When i use the rsd lite, should i use Samurai Universal Script with rsd flasher?
or should i just use rsd lite, clean and simple?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.