[GUIDE] root, unlock, kk and flash back to jb [READ OP!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbenz2008

Jan 11, 2008
once you have your 4.1.2 downloaded or in your pc, extract it to a folder using winrar-that s what I use- u ll have ota folder and a bunch of img+ one xml file. Need to open xml with notepad, navigate to the two lines that contains tz and gpt ,delete both. Launch rsd, point it to the xml, flash.

Reactions: talkl

talkl

Nov 23, 2013
once you have your 4.1.2 downloaded or in your pc, extract it to a folder using winrar-that s what I use- u ll have ota folder and a bunch of img+ one xml file. Need to open xml with notepad, navigate to the two lines that contains tz and gpt ,delete both. Launch rsd, point it to the xml, flash.
there are no tz and gpt lines. Maybe because the OP already deleted those?
i downloaded the op's Img file

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

************WARNING*************
this guide only works completely if you did NOT take the 183.46.15 update rolling out around 9/9/14
LOOK AT YOUR SYSTEM VERSION AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON 183.46.14or15 BEFORE POSTING, if you are, THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK AND ROOT WONT WORK, PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.
YOU HOSED YOURSELF BY NOT DOING THIS BEFORE UPDATING, THE TOOLS ARE NOT BROKEN.

if you are already unlocked, the relevant parts of this guide will still work as described.

So, you have a Droid Razr Maxx HD or HD, xt926, and want to root, unlock the bootloader, and go back to JB, possibly.
Well this is the guide for you!

***you should backup data before any flash or mod
***the current condition of your phone is irrelevant (root etc). the script will flash from any version, to KK (data wipe option recommended)

first, you need to be on KitKat to root and unlock the bootloader,
if you are not, flash version 1.4 or 1.41 of this in fastboot.
moto drivers if you need them.
to get into fastboot, power off the phone, hold both volume buttons and power until the pre-boot menu comes up then release and choose "fastboot"
alternatively, you can use @SamuriHL's method if that strikes your fancy.
(PLEASE DONT ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT @SamuriHL'S SCRIPT HERE, use his forum.)

after booted etc, put this app, this app, and SU zip on your storage or sd card.

open the "tr" app and follow the directions to root your phone.
when complete and rebooted,
open the Motopocalypse app and follow the directions to unlock your bootloader.
when complete and rebooted,
we are going to need a custom recovery (just because they are great :))
go here or here to get the only recovery compatible with KK (they are also in a sub folder of the flash tool)
to flash these per the op's instructions, you will need adb and fastboot.
if you don't have it installed,
open the directory from my flash tool posted above, hold shift, right click, and choose "open command prompt here". this will use the adb and fasboot in my script to install the recovery, using the commands in @dhacker29's op. just make sure you moved the recoveries out of the sub folder and into the main one, or it will fail.
here is a more complete step by step i made for another user. just change the file name if you are flashing twrp.
if you aren't comfortable using the commands to install the new recovery, alternatively, you can put the recovery on your storage and use Flashify to install it.

after flashing your new recovery, (3 button trick from above, and select "recovery")
boot back into recovery, and flash the SU zip from above. this will give you a properly working root (towel is great but has some faults)

now you have a fully functional razr hd or maxx hd with root and an unlocked bootloader on KitKat.

for those of you who just wanted to unlock and want to go back to JB, or just want to go back to JB for any reason after unlocking.
flash this in rsd (many tutorials on how to use RSD can be found on Google)
i already edited the stock file so you dont have to do it :)

now you want root again?
now that you are unlocked, forget all of those old exploits, (yes, they still work if you choose to use them) from now on, you can just install a custom recovery and flash the SU zip i gave you in recovery.

i hope this helps you, i will be updating it as needed.
Hi,

after downgrading, will i still have TWRP 2.7.1.0 3.4 Kernel Recovery?
How would i be able to flash customable Jelly Bean Roms?

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
"LOOK AT YOUR SYSTEM VERSION AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON 183.46.14or15 BEFORE POSTING, (neither) THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK (nor) ROOT (will) WORK."

That would have done it for me. As I said, I had seen old threads started before the KK exposure that mentioned root w/o bootloader unlock. Thus I wanted to make sure with the most recent update that it was both operations individually and not just the pair as a whole that are now broken. Apologies if I struck a nerve.
nope, im good :)

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
since the op obviously wasnt read, ill quote the relevant part
"for those of you who just wanted to unlock and want to go back to JB, or just want to go back to JB for any reason after unlocking.
flash this in rsd (many tutorials on how to use RSD can be found on Google)
i already edited the stock file so you dont have to do it "

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Hi,

after downgrading, will i still have TWRP 2.7.1.0 3.4 Kernel Recovery?
How would i be able to flash customable Jelly Bean Roms?
no, twrp would be gone.
you would need to get a jb version i believe, then you could flash jb based roms.
getting close to a year since i used this phone daily, sorry

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
i opened the file and i cant seems to find what youre saying.
can you please explain?
it's my first time flashing through Rsd lite without using Samurai's rsd flasher
And now you know why I wrote it. It automates creating the edited scripts for you.

talkl

Nov 23, 2013
no, twrp would be gone.
you would need to get a jb version i believe, then you could flash jb based roms.
getting close to a year since i used this phone daily, sorry
Ok, i succeeded in downgrading.

You said i need to flash the SU in order to get root.
how do i flash the SU if i dont have a recovery?

more importantly, how do i flash a recovery?

Also, the Mobile Network APN is grayed out. how do i make it work?
i need it in order to edit my mobile network APNS

Last edited:

hbenz2008

Jan 11, 2008
Use cmw epinter 6.0.2.8 flash via fast boot, then when u reboot to it, flash supersu with it

Wireless...

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Take your Sim out then back in, maybe it will settle down

Wireless...

talkl

Nov 23, 2013
Use cmw epinter 6.0.2.8 flash via fast boot, then when u reboot to it, flash supersu with it

Wireless...

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Take your Sim out then back in, maybe it will settle down

Wireless...
Hi can you please also elaborate on where to download fast boot and cmw epinter, and what procedure do i have to go through?

Thank you so much man

I have all my backup in Titanium backup, so gonna need root asap in order to get contacts etc

talkl

Nov 23, 2013
So from what i understand:
1. download 15 seconds adb installer 1.3
2. run it
3. download epinter cwm img
4. somehow using fastboot write: fastboot flash recovery cwmrecovery6028-xt925_20130219-epinter.img

Is using fastboot a BIG thing? do i have to read the whole thread?

I would appreciate if you could write how do i flash cwm using fastboot For Dummies.
This is my first time using fastboot

hbenz2008

Jan 11, 2008
adb is no big deal . Put the cmwrecovery...in the same folder where you extracted adbfast boot. Then, one thing I assume you are using windows 7 or 8, anything else maybe different. Right click inside of the adb folder you have extracted, chose to run command and put the cmd epinter put on his thread :fastboot flash recovery cwmrecovery6028-xt925_20130219-epinter.img
Keep in mind your phone MUST BE connected and in fastboot mode

Pow_2k

Aug 14, 2014
I'd also recommend having the phone connected first with Windows already having processed the driver install, if needed.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Ok, i succeeded in downgrading.

You said i need to flash the SU in order to get root.
how do i flash the SU if i dont have a recovery?

more importantly, how do i flash a recovery?

Also, the Mobile Network APN is grayed out. how do i make it work?
i need it in order to edit my mobile network APNS
again i have to refer to the op
"here is a more complete step by step i made for another user. just change the file name if you are flashing twrp"

Status
Not open for further replies.