Search This thread

TheWolf_Prod

Aug 2, 2021
In this post I'll describe my experience with Root and Unroot of Samsung Galaxy A505FN/DS (DualSim)

I wrote threads on XDA and called for help but I didn't always get it, so I had to look for solutions myself, which I'll share now.

[Root]​

[READ BEFORE START]​

Bricking Samsung devices is reallyyyy hard - but If you mess something up - I'm not responsible for it.

Root, although it gives you new features, also takes away old ones
- Your Knox will be broken - there is no option to skip it, apps like Samsung Pass will never work again (even after unroot).

- Some applications will not be available in Google Play (e.g. Netflix), you can use another store such as Aurora Store, but it does not give a 100% guarantee that you will install the application you need.

- You won't pass SafetyNet attestation - you can use Magisk (Zygisk to be exact) + denylist modules for this, but it also doesn't always work (in my example it didn't work on Stock ROM).

- Unstable system... Almost, because as long as you root your phone, nothing should happen - however, I've already more than once downloaded a module for Magisk and after installing it the phone wouldn't reboot or the phone reset itself at least once in a few days, then you have to disable the module or do a Factory Reset, and doing a backup every time you install a module is not convenient.

- Banking apps - in my case, I wasn't able to add my card to Google Pay or use autocomplete in Google Chrome when I wanted to enter my credit card information. I was also unable to pay via NFC.

[START]​

1. Make a backup - Rooting will earse all data that you have collected on your phone! You can make backup in your phone settings.
  • [Samsung Cloud] Settings -> Accounts & Backup -> Data with backup (Under Samsung Cloud Tab) -> Select Apps to backup | Then backup files & photos on Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive
  • [Google] Settings -> Accounts & Backup -> Data with backup (Under Google Drive Tab) -> Click "Make Backup now"
2. Enable Developer Options - Settings -> Phone - Information -> Software information -> Click about 10 times on "Version number" until you see the text "Developer mode has been activated" or until you have to enter the lock code
3. Unlock OEM in Developer Options - Settings -> Developer Options (on far bottom) -> Check "Unlock OEM"
4. Turn on USB Debugging - Developer Options -> Check "USB Debugging"
5. Download & install Samsung Drivers
6. Download ODIN
7. Download Platform Tools
8. Download OrangeFox (only for full root) (Credits to @Enzoaquino)
9. Download MultiDisabler
10. Turn off the phone, when it is turned off press Volume UP and Volume DOWN simultaneously and connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable and wait to screen turn on
11. You can see instructions on screen -> Long Press Volume UP, on next screen confirm unlocking bootloader by clicking Volume UP (All Your data will be earsed now!).
12. Your phone will be restarted two times, wait, after that, disconnect your phone from PC and configure your phone (you need connect to the internet) and do one more time step 2., 3. and 4., but after doing step 4. connect your phone to PC and wait to dialog box pop in -> hit "Always Allow from this PC", and then hit "Allow"
13. Open folder with platform tools (you need to see adb.exe file) and type "CMD" into directory path box and hit enter
pltfrm.png

13. You should see a command line window now - type "adb devices" and hit enter, this should print your android device connected to Your PC
14. If You see Your device, type "adb reboot download" and wait for Your phone to restart
15. When Your phone showing a "blue" screen with text "Downloading...", open ODIN on Your PC
Similar to this
don4.jpg

16. In ODIN, Click AP button and pick OrangeFox file that you downloaded earlier
apbttn.png

17. Go into "Options" tab and uncheck "Auto Reboot"
18. Click "Start"
19. After ODIN finish flashing, let a phone be still connected to Your PC, press Volume DOWN + Power button for 7 seconds and after Your screen goes black, fast press Volume UP + Power until You see OrangeFox Logo (on Orange Background)
20. Format Data by clicking Bin icon o bottom of Your screen, then click "Format Data" tab and type "yes" to confirm.
21. After that, copy MultiDisabler (multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip) from Your PC to Your Phone and click this file on your phone in OrangeFox
22. Swipe to install this file
23. Do not click on "Reboot System"! You need to click "Back" then click last icon on bottom of your screen (3 - dash), then click "Reboot" and then select "Recovery". Your phone will reset and You can see that its stuck on Samsung logo -> wait a while and press Volume DOWN + Power for 7 seconds, Your phone will reset and turn on properly.
24. Configure, Connect to internet and open Magisk App (with default icon), It will say that "Magisk needs to download additional files and complete the installation" -> allow
25. After that, turn on Magisk App one more time, it will say the same message that on step previous -> allow
26. Open Magisk App, click "Update" button under "Magisk" panel (not on Magisk App panel) and under "Options" tab check "Recovery Mode" and click "Next" - wait until You will see "Reboot Device" button on bottom right of Your screen- click this button and after reset open Magisk App and check if Magisk App is updated too - if not, click update. (Thanks to @gosc747 for reminding me about this)
27. Your Phone should restart and... You have root on Your Phone, congrats!

[UnRoot]​

[READ BEFORE START]​

- This will do Factory Reset
- You need to find a ROM that fits Your phone -> Here is the site that I recommend to download ROM for Samsung A505FN (A lot of ROMs, Full speed download and.. FREE).

What If I pick wrong ROM?

- It will not install but Your phone will still work,
- Some functions can stop working (example: Your screen will not autorotate)

[START]​

So, after You pick a Samsung A505FN on that site, You need to know CSC Code for Your phone... But where You can find it?
If You still have original ROM:
1. (On Your phone) Go into settings -> Phone - Informations (on far bottom) -> software information -> Provider software version
2. here you will have your code
281138080_311172854524754_2464283009895643387_n.png

3. Type first part of that into Search Box on site that i provided
sfw.png

4. Download Selected ROM, repack this in folder of Your choose
5. Connect Your phone to Your PC
6. open Command Line (like in step 13. in rooting) and type "adb reboot download"
7. After reset, open ODIN, and place all files from Your ROM here
rom.png

8. Click Start
9. Your Phone will reset automatically, after it's boots up, disconnect phone from pc and turn Your phone off
10. Press Volume UP + Volume DOWN and plug-in Your usb cable connected to Your PC
11. You will see "blue" screen, long press Volume UP and confirm Locking Bootloader by clicking Volume UP (this will earse all Your data).
12. And.. done!

Ask Something If You Want

I try to help

Last edited:

TheWolf_Prod

Aug 2, 2021
Hmmmm why not use a modified kernel instead of patch recovery? When using patched recovery, you need to figure out the right button combinations to boot to system or recovery,whereas when you use patched kernel you can just simpky boot without button combinations.
I mean yee, if u wanna stay with original ROM but just have Magisk installed, then patching custom kernel is good idea - but if u want install custom ROM or something, its good to have custom recovery (besides the fact that you can patch custom kernel via custom recovery)

gosc747

May 25, 2022
@TheWolf_Prod

I tried your guide on my Samsung Galaxy A50 (SM-A50FN / DS), I confirm it works 🙂

After entering Magisk, I choose to run in Recovery, it starts, but it does not go into Recovery, but normally on the phone 🙄

Tell me, do you know how to do this, how do I update to Magisk v24.3 via "Select and patch file"?

Because I downloaded from another TWRP and ROOT guide and I also have a problem with it 🙄

And I do on your tutorial as I did on my previous TWRP tutorial:

I choose the method "Select and patch a file" creates the AP magisk _patched for me, I transfer it to my laptop, turn off the phone and enter Download mode, run Odin (I deselect auto start), add files BL, AP (magisk_patched), CS, CSC, gives me start, loaded, exiting, from Download mode, starting Recovery mode, giving, restarting and bootloop is on 🙄

TheWolf_Prod

Aug 2, 2021
~ "I choose to run in Recovery, it starts, but it does not go into Recovery, but normally on the phone"
I guess this is Samsung's "unique feature" - the only option to enter OrangeFox/TWRP is turn phone off -> press Volume UP + Power and when phone vibrates, plug USB cable connected under PC to phone.

~ "After entering Magisk, I choose to run in Recovery, it starts, but it does not go into Recovery, but normally on the phone"
So - on my phone I noticed this problem:
Sometimes when I reset my phone (Either manually or through a dead battery) then after restarting - I lost ROOT privileges. Therefore, if for some reason you need to reset your phone - do it preferably through Magisk (main page -> click the "refresh" icon -> Reboot Recovery) then you can be sure that your phone will boot with ROOT privileges

If your phone has reset itself or you forgot to do it via Magisk - turn phone off -> press Volume UP + Power and when phone vibrates, plug USB cable connected under PC (or any device where you can copy files from it) to phone - then in OrangeFox/TWRP menu You need to click "Reset Recovery" and unplug USB Cable.

~ "Tell me, do you know how to do this, how do I update to Magisk v24.3 via "Select and patch file"?"
So, I don't use TWRP - if You have OrangeFox all You need to update Magisk is just click "Update" in Magisk App.
I read this on this website:
  • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the AP tar file (from Your ROM)
  • Start the installation, and copy the patched tar file to your PC using ADB:
    adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].tar
    DO NOT USE MTP as it is known to corrupt large files.
  • Reboot to download mode. Open Odin on your PC, and flash magisk_patched.tar as AP, together with BL, CP, and CSC (NOT HOME_CSC because we want to wipe data) from the original firmware.
If it still doesn't work then try to install Ypur ROM without the Magisk patch - maybe you downloaded the wrong ROM?

gosc747

May 25, 2022
So - on my phone I noticed this problem:
Sometimes when I reset my phone (Either manually or through a dead battery) then after restarting - I lost ROOT privileges. Therefore, if for some reason you need to reset your phone - do it preferably through Magisk (main page -> click the "refresh" icon -> Reboot Recovery) then you can be sure that your phone will boot with ROOT privileges

If your phone has reset itself or you forgot to do it via Magisk - turn phone off -> press Volume UP + Power and when phone vibrates, plug USB cable connected under PC (or any device where you can copy files from it) to phone - then in OrangeFox/TWRP menu You need to click "Reset Recovery" and unplug USB Cable.
I wonder where the problem 🙄
So, I don't use TWRP - if You have OrangeFox all You need to update Magisk is just click "Update" in Magisk App.
I read this on this website:
  • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the AP tar file (from Your ROM)
  • Start the installation, and copy the patched tar file to your PC using ADB:
    adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].tar
    DO NOT USE MTP as it is known to corrupt large files.
  • Reboot to download mode. Open Odin on your PC, and flash magisk_patched.tar as AP, together with BL, CP, and CSC (NOT HOME_CSC because we want to wipe data) from the original firmware.
If it still doesn't work then try to install Ypur ROM without the Magisk patch - maybe you downloaded the wrong ROM?
I have OrangeFox at the moment, I've seen this link before and read it, unfortunately, it doesn't work, bootloop pops up and OrangeFox recovery is missing.
I have an official ROM:
Version Android: 11
Changelist: 22264509
Build Date Mon, 14 Mar 2022 03:20:54 +0000
Security Patch Level: 2022-03-01
Product code: XEO
PDA: A505FNXXS9CVC2
CSC: A505FNOXM9CVB1

bellial7

Jun 7, 2022
When my phone has reset itself or I do it via Magisk, my device is stuck on the lock screen. Whenever I unlock my device, the screen turns black, not responding, or auto restart.
I tried to solve the issue by booting into Fox recovery, then turning on/off Magisk core, or using the Fox Reboot function to reboot into System or Recovery but it is impossible to solve the problem.

JuanTamqd21

When my phone has reset itself or I do it via Magisk, my device is stuck on the lock screen. Whenever I unlock my device, the screen turns black, not responding, or auto restart.
I tried to solve the issue by booting into Fox recovery, then turning on/off Magisk core, or using the Fox Reboot function to reboot into System or Recovery but it is impossible to solve the problem.
flash pass reset zip