[Guide] Root US OnePlus 8T KB2005 Unlocked

Search This thread

g96818

Dec 27, 2014
oneplus is brutal North America Ota's are always late. same thing happened with op6t 7t etc

It's not super late. The roll out started last thursday and is done in stages so the servers aren't overloaded. The OTA popped up on my phone 2 days ago.
The 11.0.2.3 OTA was skipped for NA cause of all the issues the IN and EU users were reporting, which is why this 11.0.3.4 came out so quickly. IN and EU are the guinea pigs.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
It's not super late. The roll out started last thursday and is done in stages so the servers aren't overloaded. The OTA popped up on my phone 2 days ago.
The 11.0.2.3 OTA was skipped for NA cause of all the issues the IN and EU users were reporting, which is why this 11.0.3.4 came out so quickly. IN and EU are the guinea pigs.

I think he was referring to making the full OTA available instead of incrementals.

Marvelicious75

May 23, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Keinta15 is right. Only incremental OTA. Better than nothing.

Yeah, it didn't directly solve my problem, but as it turns out it indirectly solved my problem because I took another look at the broken TWRP method and figured out what I'd been doing wrong. If anyone else is struggling, it's worth making sure you're using the boot image that corresponds to where you got it...

Code:
fastboot --set-active=a

or

Code:
fastboot --set-active=b

Making sure I was running on the right partition finally got me rooted where all my other attempts would ended in bootloop. Probably a dumb mistake to you guys who do this stuff all the time, but I pretty much only open ADB when I buy a new phone, and that only happens every couple of years for me. Unfortunately, I've gotten used to having root access and all that comes with it.

I can finally use my new phone like I'm used to. Thanks to all you XDA regulars who let tourists like me in on the secrets.

MNoisy

Oct 15, 2013
Chicago
www.brightbrain.com
OnePlus 8T
Can anyone please provide the stock boot img and hopefully magisk patched boot image from 11.0.1.2.KB05AA?

It looks like you can't upgrade to the newest incremental I got today if you switch back to the stock boot image from KB2005_15_200918 after being on KB2005_15_201015I. I have tried all other methods I know so far with no success and can get the phone booted but no wifi.

I will keep trying some other methods but if anyone is able to pull and post the stock boot img and patched from KB2005_15_201015I, I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: merbst

g96818

Dec 27, 2014
Can anyone please provide the stock boot img and hopefully magisk patched boot image from 11.0.1.2.KB05AA?

It looks like you can't upgrade to the newest incremental I got today if you switch back to the stock boot image from KB2005_15_200918 after being on KB2005_15_201015I. I have tried all other methods I know so far with no success and can get the phone booted but no wifi.

I will keep trying some other methods but if anyone is able to pull and post the stock boot img and patched from KB2005_15_201015I, I would really appreciate it!

It's posted here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8t/how-to/guide-how-to-root-oneplus8t-kb2001-t4178675

fosgate24360

Sep 26, 2017
anyone know why my phone boots into recovery mode after i fastboot boot magisk_patched.img?

disregard...i got it to work finally

Last edited:

MNoisy

Oct 15, 2013
Chicago
www.brightbrain.com
OnePlus 8T
anyone know why my phone boots into recovery mode after i fastboot boot magisk_patched.img?

disregard...i got it to work finally

Copied from my post on the other main thread for rooting. I didn't realize I was not on this one, but just in case...
(Moderators delete if needed)

For the US KB 2005 Variant update that released today (11.0.4.5.KB05AA), I just repeated the process for the last update and had to no issues. They key is being patient!

To get the update applied
From elevated prompt using adb
Adb reboot bootloader
Fastboot flash boot stock-boot.img - Found here
fastboot reboot

Let your phone reboot and then download and install the new update
Complete and restart phone again
Once restarted go back to prompt for ADB...

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot patched-boot.img - Found here
fastboot reboot

The phone took forever to boot (Maybe 5-10 minutes), then seemed to do a quick reboot or boot loop automatically but did not lose the patched boot image I just booted with.

After it was finally done booting, I simply opened up Magisk and did a direct install and BOOM, rooted on the new update!

I hope that helps anyone trying :)

dreisus

Sep 13, 2011
Uninstalled magisk and still cant install latest update. Neither from system or local .SMH

D

Deleted member 11043203

Gotta lock bootloader to install incremental ota's sometimes..not sure why. Even just unrooting isn't sufficing anymore

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
boot.img

Here's a semi-broken TWRP that allows su access through adb: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dRXJj7HZcqlNsHlVcNH0qR3sNx_uBA__
DO NOT FLASH, ONLY USE WITH BOOT COMMAND!
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_b of=/sdcard/boot_b.img
exit
adb pull /sdcard/boot_a.img boot_a.img
adb pull /sdcard/boot_b.img boot_b.img

I borked my boot_a by flashing it with boot_b (boot_b was broken on my device), so I was unable to obtain a working boot_a.img. If someone could kindly share their KB2005 boot_a.img that would be nice.

Try this link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8t/how-to/guide-how-to-root-oneplus8t-kb2001-t4178675

scroll down to the middle of the page. It may be what you are looking for.

Phahec

Jun 15, 2018
Thanks to @TheUnkn0wn:

His info. His quote. Xda can't figure out the quote w/code scenario, my apologies:

"Here's a semi-broken TWRP that allows su access through adb:[/QUOTE https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dRXJj7HZcqlNsHlVcNH0qR3sNx_uBA__
DO NOT FLASH, ONLY USE WITH BOOT COMMAND!"
Code:
adb shell
exit

You are the man! thank you!

Edit. Xda ruined the reply. I did not.

Hi Sir, i'm confused

We need 2 boot images for rooting ? ( boot_a.img and boot_b.img ) wich one do we need to patch please?

The file recovery.img must be copied in computer adb folder or directly in the smartphone please ?
sorry i'm new with One plus smartphone.
Thank you

Last edited:

fates13

Dec 20, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
OnePlus 8
Have you guys retained widevine L1 after rooting with the latest update on the 2005? I accidentally flashed the BA rom on our phones so I had to MSM back to AA, update to the latest, then bootloader unlocked and rooted using the stock boot posted here. Widevine is still L3 for our two phones.

Keinta15

Feb 4, 2013
Ponce
OnePlus 8T
Have you guys retained widevine L1 after rooting with the latest update on the 2005? I accidentally flashed the BA rom on our phones so I had to MSM back to AA, update to the latest, then bootloader unlocked and rooted using the stock boot posted here. Widevine is still L3 for our two phones.
Yeah I have widevine L1 on the latest update

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Honda ef8

Oct 11, 2020
i followed Wykillin post using the broken TWRP on both OS11 0918 build and OS11045 update and i used magisk patched boot a on the first one, then i flashed original boot.img so i can update and then after update i had to use magisk patched boot b. when i used patched a it just boot looped. when i used patched b it booted right away. hope this helps clarify things a little or helps someone. thank you for all your hard work guys!

$$$Who can i compensate thats responsible to make this happen on the 8T????$$$

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We have root!
    All you have to do is follow these few steps and have a working adb / fastboot installation
    1 Download this patched boot image -
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675569219
    2. Reboot your phone to the bootloader
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    3. Boot from the patched image
    Code:
    fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
    4. Make sure you have the latest Magisk Manager Canary and do a direct install to patch your internal boot image on both slots.
    Latest Magisk Manager -> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/canary/app-debug.apk
    Done!

It seems like a lot of people are still having issues. If this doesn't work for you, then my boot image is slightly different than yours. You can follow the steps from this post to pull your stock boot image. After you do that you can just patch your stock image with Magisk Canary. Pull the patched image from your phone and use it in step 3 above.

Special thanks to SAKO4444GODZ for pulling the stock boot img first
    Thanks to posts from @northmendo @TheUnkn0wn @FullOfHell @Keinta15 I have managed to get root.

I will post everything I did thoroughly along with the output to help any others who might have trouble

This is my current configuration:
    About Phone > Build Number: Oxygen OS 11.0.1.2.KB05AA
    About Phone > Android Version > Build Number: KB2005_15_201015

1. download the latest canary build for magisk here
    2. download this "semi-broken" TWRP here
    3. hook your phone to your PC and issue the following commands (adb devices & fastboot devices to make sure your PC recognizes your device each time)
    - adb devices
    - adb reboot bootloader
    - fastboot devices
    Code:
    D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    ********        device

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>fastboot devices
    ********       fastboot
    - fastboot boot recovery.img
    Code:
    D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>fastboot boot recovery.img
    Sending 'boot.img' (64964 KB)                      OKAY [  1.411s]
    Booting                                            OKAY [  0.080s]
    Finished. Total time: 1.559s

4. at this point your phone will have TWRP flickering\flashing every 2-3 secnonds
    5. issue the following commands (adb devices to make sure the PC sees your device)
    - adb devices
    - adb shell
    - dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img
    - dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_b of=/sdcard/boot_b.img
    - exit
    Code:
    List of devices attached
    ********        recovery

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>adb shell
    OnePlus8T:/ # dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img
    196608+0 records in
    196608+0 records out
    100663296 bytes (96 M) copied, 0.197168 s, 487 M/s
    OnePlus8T:/ # dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_b of=/sdcard/boot_b.img
    196608+0 records in
    196608+0 records out
    100663296 bytes (96 M) copied, 0.189132 s, 508 M/s
    OnePlus8T:/ # exit

6. pull the boot images from your phone to your PC and then reboot with these commands
    - adb pull /sdcard/boot_a.img boot_a.img
    - adb pull /sdcard/boot_b.img boot_b.img
    Code:
    D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>adb pull /sdcard/boot_a.img boot_a.img
    /sdcard/boot_a.img: 1 file pulled, 0 skipped. 41.3 MB/s (100663296 bytes in 2.325s)

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>adb pull /sdcard/boot_b.img boot_b.img
    /sdcard/boot_b.img: 1 file pulled, 0 skipped. 41.5 MB/s (100663296 bytes in 2.314s)

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>adb reboot

7. copy the boot_a.img from your PC (same folder as fastboot) to the phone
    8. install magisk and launch magisk
    9. select Magisk Install > Select and Patch a File
    - navigate to the boot_a.img on your phone and click Let'g Go
    10. magisk will patch your boot_a.img and place the patched boot image in your downloads folder
    11. copy the magisk_patched.img to your PC (fastbot location)
    - I renamed mine to magisk_patched_a.img becuase I patched both boot_a.img and boot_b.img just in case
    12. issue the following commands (adb devices & fastboot devices to make sure your PC recognizes your device each time)
    - adb devices
    - adb reboot bootloader
    - fastboot devices
    - fastboot boot magisk_patched_a.img
    Code:
    List of devices attached
    ********        device

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>fastboot devices
    ********       fastboot

D:\android\OnePlus8T\platform-tools>fastboot boot magisk_patched_a.img
    Sending 'boot.img' (98304 KB)                      OKAY [  2.122s]
    Booting                                            OKAY [  0.079s]
    Finished. Total time: 2.289s

13. your phone will now boot temporarily running the patched magisk booted image
    - this boot will take longer than normal
    - this boot will also stay on a black screen after the bootanimation (give this some time and it will bring up your lock screen)
    14. once booted this will be your temporary root
    15. launch magisk and select Magisk Install > Direct Install (recommended)
    16. reboot and enjoy
    If anybody is still having issues, I wrote a quick guide here that should work for every variant and every rom release, and only requires adb and fastboot. It uses your existing boot.img so you don't have to go hunting for any packages.
    Here's a semi-broken TWRP that allows su access through adb: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dRXJj7HZcqlNsHlVcNH0qR3sNx_uBA__
    DO NOT FLASH, ONLY USE WITH BOOT COMMAND!
    Code:
    adb shell
    exit

I borked my boot_a by flashing it with boot_b (boot_b was broken on my device), so I was unable to obtain a working boot_a.img. If someone could kindly share their KB2005 boot_a.img that would be nice.
    D
    Deleted member 11043203
    Thanks to @TheUnkn0wn:

His info. His quote. Xda can't figure out the quote w/code scenario, my apologies:

"Here's a semi-broken TWRP that allows su access through adb:[/QUOTE https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dRXJj7HZcqlNsHlVcNH0qR3sNx_uBA__
    DO NOT FLASH, ONLY USE WITH BOOT COMMAND!"
    Code:
    adb shell
    exit

You are the man! thank you!

Edit. Xda ruined the reply. I did not.