• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] Root your Tab A6 T280

Search This thread

mingkee

Credits go to: @ashyx, @mauam, @jedld, @Chainfire
Prerequisite:
Padded kernel for T280
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3881481&d=1474417563 (unpack with 7zip and put it to memory card)
SYSTEMMODE SuperSU (REQUIRED)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3861602&d=1472738213 (put it to memory card)
All required drivers from Samsung Smart Switch
Odin 3.10
TWRP
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=312968872162492913
Your unit should be fully charged
OEM unlock and USB Debugging enabled and allow your host computer

Steps:
1. Connect your tablet with your host computer
2. Open prompt and locate to your adb folder (platform-tools) and enter
Code:
adb reboot download
If it doesn't work, look at your tablet to see any prompt to allow your host computer
3. Open your Odin. Make sure auto reboot is not checked (but TWRP isn't overridden). Choose AP and locate your TWRP file. You may see secure check failed. Don't worry. Just press and hold power+volume down+home key together and wait for few seconds.
4. Enter TWRP by pressing power+volume up+home key together. You should see the boot screen. Keep pressing these buttons until the boot screen disappears. You should enter TWRP.
5. Locate your memory card. Flash systemmode SuperSU first, go back, and flash padded image as "boot".
6. (Optional) wipe cache and dalvik cache.
7. Reboot
8. It may take a while to boot up
9. You tablet rooted.

sovereignjerk

Oct 6, 2016
Instructions weren't clear enough, got **** stuck in toaster...

Nah jk, it worked man!

EDIT: This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.... I lost root and did a reset and did it all again. This time after I got it rooted, I got rid of the SuperSU and downloaded the one from market. It updated binary easily.

Last edited:

mdsohal02

Oct 8, 2016
Instructions weren't clear enough, got **** stuck in toaster...

Nah jk, it worked man!

EDIT: This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.... I lost root and did a reset and did it all again. This time after I got it rooted, I got rid of the SuperSU and downloaded the one from market. It updated binary easily.

I keep getting Custom Binary (Recovery) blocked from FRP lock. Did you get this as well?

mdsohal02

Oct 8, 2016
Make sure you OEM unlock under the developer settings.

Thank you :) Sorry, I haven't rooted an android device since the EVO 4G. Things have changed in the meantime.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

Does anyone know how to disable the OTA update notification once I am rooted ?

ecstaseey

Oct 21, 2016
After Step 3 it takes me to a warning screen with two options 1. Vol up to continue 2. Vol down to restart device.
So I go with option 1 but instead of taking me to TWRP it takes me back to download mode and at the top left corner this is what is shown.

ODIN MODE (In Red)
SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE (In Blue)
MDM DOWNLOADBLOCK: O (In Red)
PRODUCT NAME: SM-T280
CURRENT BIN: CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: CUSTOM
FRP LOCK: OFF
USB Init Start!
USB core reset done

I made sure to uncheck auto reboot but couldn't find anything about TWRP not being overridden so maybe that's the problem, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
Sorry for the dumbness, but i have never used this adb, this is only confusing part.
I laptop running windows 10, all drivers, files on sd card as you state.
Any further guidance i would appreciate.
Best wishes

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010
Sorry for the dumbness, but i have never used this adb, this is only confusing part.
I laptop running windows 10, all drivers, files on sd card as you state.
Any further guidance i would appreciate.
Best wishes

i advise you to search youtube on how to use adb. This is how i learned. Its too complicated to write it. But when you see video its easy. In simplest way adb is cmd opened in adb file. Than in cmd you write commands like adb flash, or adb format and stuff

raakaysh

Jan 15, 2009
Nowhere in India
After Step 3 it takes me to a warning screen with two options 1. Vol up to continue 2. Vol down to restart device.
So I go with option 1 but instead of taking me to TWRP it takes me back to download mode and at the top left corner this is what is shown.

ODIN MODE (In Red)
USB Init Start!
USB core reset done

I made sure to uncheck auto reboot but couldn't find anything about TWRP not being overridden so maybe that's the problem, what am I doing wrong?

Here's a more detailed guide. It's based on this thread: http://www.droidviews.com/root-samsung-galaxy-tab-a-sm-t280-and-install-twrp/

Reactions: NWNJ

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credits go to: @ashyx, @mauam, @jedld, @Chainfire
    Prerequisite:
    Padded kernel for T280
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3881481&d=1474417563 (unpack with 7zip and put it to memory card)
    SYSTEMMODE SuperSU (REQUIRED)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3861602&d=1472738213 (put it to memory card)
    All required drivers from Samsung Smart Switch
    Odin 3.10
    TWRP
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=312968872162492913
    Your unit should be fully charged
    OEM unlock and USB Debugging enabled and allow your host computer

Steps:
    1. Connect your tablet with your host computer
    2. Open prompt and locate to your adb folder (platform-tools) and enter
    Code:
    adb reboot download
    If it doesn't work, look at your tablet to see any prompt to allow your host computer
    3. Open your Odin. Make sure auto reboot is not checked (but TWRP isn't overridden). Choose AP and locate your TWRP file. You may see secure check failed. Don't worry. Just press and hold power+volume down+home key together and wait for few seconds.
    4. Enter TWRP by pressing power+volume up+home key together. You should see the boot screen. Keep pressing these buttons until the boot screen disappears. You should enter TWRP.
    5. Locate your memory card. Flash systemmode SuperSU first, go back, and flash padded image as "boot".
    6. (Optional) wipe cache and dalvik cache.
    7. Reboot
    8. It may take a while to boot up
    9. You tablet rooted.
    Hey, this works! Thank you for writing it up!

Success on a Samsung A6 SM-T280 (version 5.1.1 if memory serves).
    Ashyx
    Will link2sd/app2sd after root.?
    I don't see why not.

ODIN MODE (In Red)
    USB Init Start!
    USB core reset done

Here's a more detailed guide. It's based on this thread: http://www.droidviews.com/root-samsung-galaxy-tab-a-sm-t280-and-install-twrp/
    adb makes much problems, better use heimdall

on my linux (Ubuntu 16.04) adb doesn't recognize my Samsung T280 (but lsusb does), therefore I use heimdall (tested on 3 different PCs). heimdall ist on the repositories.

sudo apt-get install heimdall (or use synaptic, software-center ...)

extraxt recovery.img from your TWRP-file,
    reboot your T280 into download mode (press home/vol down/power)

sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /your_path/recovery.img

Reboot your T280 into recovery mode (press home/vol up/power), TWRP recovery starts.
    Bingo!