[Guide] Root

anandverma458

Nov 1, 2016
Can anyone on the latest pie firmware (WW model) confirm if the method still requires using the old version of Magisk Manager that is provided in the OP, or can we use the latest version now?

miman04

May 1, 2009
Can anyone on the latest pie firmware (WW model) confirm if the method still requires using the old version of Magisk Manager that is provided in the OP, or can we use the latest version now?
yes we can no problem.. but you cant play PUBG no more.. they already detect magisk root. game will force closed on its own.

eecoog06

Oct 31, 2015
How you rooted i make old method patch boot.img and flash it but stock in fastboot mode
I updated to the latest firmware version by downloading the latest ROM to the main folder and rebooting. Then rooted by patching the boot.img file and flashing in fastboot mode as you noted above.
PUBG still works fine for me but I have also enabled Magisk Hide, "Hide Magisk from various forms of detection" and selected the hide option for PUBG. Hope that helps.

Magisk Installed: 20.4
Magisk Manager Installed: 7.5.1

Jiannystein

Sep 21, 2020
Thanks for the guide!

Just to share my experience and steps based on guide provided, hopefully it would save someone's time in case the FRP step somehow decided to slap you hard (no idea but **** happens)

1. OK
2. Downloaded everything and used unlock tool from https ://www .asus. com/Phone/ROG-Phone/HelpDesk_Download/ instead because the apk posted didn't work for me
3. Bumpy for me, no idea why my credential didn't work, bypass FRP using this guide instead, https ://www .youtube. com/watch?v=CaDbVQkd6Nk - I backup a copy of the files in the video in case they go missing anytime in the future at http ://www .mediafire. com/folder/cb4z0r4eoyng5/ROG
4. OK
5. My firmware is already the same with latest WW version
6. OK, it took awhile to do its thing but complete at last
7. OK, basically copy the boot.img from step 6 and Magisk it to become magisk_patched.img on the same download folder
8. With cable unplugged, shut down phone and vol up + power until into fastboot, the rest of the steps are straightforward

anandverma458

Nov 1, 2016
Thanks for the guide!

Just to share my experience and steps based on guide provided, hopefully it would save someone's time in case the FRP step somehow decided to slap you hard (no idea but **** happens)

1. OK
2. Downloaded everything and used unlock tool from https ://www .asus. com/Phone/ROG-Phone/HelpDesk_Download/ instead because the apk posted didn't work for me
3. Bumpy for me, no idea why my credential didn't work, bypass FRP using this guide instead, https ://www .youtube. com/watch?v=CaDbVQkd6Nk - I backup a copy of the files in the video in case they go missing anytime in the future at http ://www .mediafire. com/folder/cb4z0r4eoyng5/ROG
4. OK
5. My firmware is already the same with latest WW version
6. OK, it took awhile to do its thing but complete at last
7. OK, basically copy the boot.img from step 6 and Magisk it to become magisk_patched.img on the same download folder
8. With cable unplugged, shut down phone and vol up + power until into fastboot, the rest of the steps are straightforward
Wow, thanks for sharing! Also, I fear that flashing a raw firmware might erase the IMEI and Baseband information from the phone (I think I read about a similar thing happening to a ROG II user), and I've looked online for a QCN backup of the ROG I, but to no avail ? Enabling USB Diagnostics requires root for ASUS, and that's what I want to do but I'm afraid of erasing the IMEI ? If you could, could you backup your QCN file from the ROG Phone and insert some dummy IMEI in the file, so that we all will be able to fix that if it happens to us (as you said, FRP can be a pain ??)

anandverma458

Nov 1, 2016
So I (finally) rooted my phone today, and it went pretty well. Everything works as intended. But is there any way to disable that orange warning screen that comes up after you restart the device, cautioning that the bootloader is unlocked? It's annoying ??

1nv1n

Nov 23, 2011
NYC
Can't get to Pie

The sideload doesn't seem to work, no. Then again I'm not sure if it's because of the strict version requirements for upgrading the firmware. I wasn't able to update to Pie using the root folder method either, until I first updated it to the latest Oreo version (WW-15.1630.1907.98). I was then able to upgrade to the earliest Pie version (WW-16.0410.1910.91) before I was finally able to upgrade to the latest Pie (which fixes crucial Bluetooth problems).

The sideloading might have worked if I tried sideloading the correct versions in the above order.

And yes, I can also confirm that 7.5.1 works fine for patching the boot image.

Thanks mate, really helpful.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Copy the full zip file to the root directory. Keep in mind that you need to have the latest Oreo version (WW-15.1630.1907.98) and you need to upgrade to the first Pie version (WW-16.0410.1910.91), otherwise it won't work.

Sideloading did not work for my either, but root folder method worked perfectly.
I wonder what I'm missing. I was unlocked & rooted & on WW-15.1630.1811.46 for the longest time.
Went through this thread yesterday & started my updates.
From OP instructions, I was able to sideload & boot from:
15.1630.1811.46 -> 15.1630.1812.68. -> 15.1630.1902.80 -> 15.1630.1903.89 -> 15.1630.1907.98
I'm currently on 15.1630.1907.98 & have Magisk installed & the magisk_patched.img for this firmware fastboot flashed.

But no matter what I try, I cannot update to the next version, Pie (16.0410.1910.91).
I've tried sideloading, it fails with: "adb: failed to read command: No error"

I've tried putting the ZIP at the root of Internal Storage, but I get no prompt to update/upgrade.
I've tried unzipping & placing the contents at the root directory, no upgrade.
I've tried flashing: twrp-3.3.1-0-Z01Q-16.0410.1910.91.img, but that does not get past the boot stage - phone stays stuck on the white Asus logo.

Any ideas on how to get to Pie? I saw some posts mention a RAW ZIP file, but I can't find any place to download it from. Does anyone have a backup they could upload for me?