• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[Guide] Root

Marco589

Dec 3, 2013
Como
It you use magisk manager (old version) you Need to install the shakalaca version 6.0.2, otherwise you get into bootloop.
(If I Remember correctly)

Last edited:

Tesla74

Dec 18, 2010
It you use magisk manager (old version) you Need to install the shakalaca version 6.0.2, otherwise you get into bootloop.
(If I Remember correctly)
Bootloop is from versions of Magisk before 17.3 shakalaca sent pull request patch and it was fixed in 17.3

1nv1n

Nov 23, 2011
NYC
@Tesla74, is unlocking the bootloader a mandatory step in order to achieve root? I don't need to have a custom recovery or need to flash a different ROM; just need root for a few apps.

EDIT: Nevermind, after reading a bit on the Magisk thread, it's pretty clear that you have to have an unlocked bootloader to be able to get your modified boot img loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesla74

coltendark

Aug 11, 2016
I ran into some trouble. after running bootloader unlocker apk. it is now asking for a PIN. I tried the PIN I used when setting up the fingerprint reader and it doesn't work. It won't let me setup the phone again now.

Also got into the stock Recovery and did a user/data factory reset

Anyone suggestions?
Is there a picture of this somewhere? I think I ran into the same problem, but ended up sending it in to get it fixed for $60. I really want to just unlock my bootloader, but I do not want to have to go through that again.

EDIT: I'm referring to the White text that gives you the option to log into Google instead of using your PIN. If I remember correctly, the background was White, so I guess I could've missed it.

Last edited:

Tesla74

Dec 18, 2010
Is there a picture of this somewhere? I think I ran into the same problem, but ended up sending it in to get it fixed for $60. I really want to just unlock my bootloader, but I do not want to have to go through that again.

EDIT: I'm referring to the White text that gives you the option to log into Google instead of using your PIN. If I remember correctly, the background was White, so I guess I could've missed it.
You can try to update to the latest firmware before running the unlock app. Also, wait to set pin until after you run the unlock app.

bbmaster123

Sep 7, 2011
I could Just install in that way?
I did flash the boot and flash It via adb ?
Well it worked for me, I don't see why it wouldn't for you too! To clarify though, I was upgrading magisk from 17.3 to 18, and I'm on the .48 FW. Don't know if that makes a difference, but for me it went very smoothly and took only a minute or two.

Reactions: Marco589

coltendark

Aug 11, 2016
You can try to update to the latest firmware before running the unlock app. Also, wait to set pin until after you run the unlock app.
I 100% had it updated to the latest firmware when I attempted the first time. Are you saying that the soft brick was a result of trying to unlock on outdated firmware? If so, then the unlock app essentially soft bricks the device. Also, what do you mean set the PIN after running the unlock app? The unlock app is what encrypts the device with an unknown PIN that you can't select after you run it.

Seriously, does no one have a photo of this?

Tesla74

Dec 18, 2010
I 100% had it updated to the latest firmware when I attempted the first time. Are you saying that the soft brick was a result of trying to unlock on outdated firmware? If so, then the unlock app essentially soft bricks the device. Also, what do you mean set the PIN after running the unlock app? The unlock app is what encrypts the device with an unknown PIN that you can't select after you run it.

Seriously, does no one have a photo of this?
There was one user that said they thought the latest firmware fixed the issue of the invisible text. Some people don't have the problem, so was just guessing about the PIN.

Here is a thread on ASUS about this that you can read; better than I trying to relay what I read over there:
https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-245315-1-2.html

Last edited:
Reactions: coltendark

RepublicGamers

Dec 14, 2018
Can anyone make a full video on how root this specific device 'ASUS ROG PHONE' you know just to make sure everything is clear and no errors. Thanks and would be appreciated!

Mcfeels_Guy

Nov 25, 2018
Just flashed the new firmware .32 and root, everything worked well :)
I put in attach the (screenshot) files and command needed to update and root, maybe can help out @RepublicGamers
Yep! Just adb sideloaded the update myself. Patched the boot.img with magisk 18 and flashed. Can also confirm that everything went smoothly and is working. Magisk 18 doing its job with no problems. ?

Hellindros

Dec 8, 2018

Yes it's white text on white screen very hard to see, I struggled with that too but it's there closer to top of screen

eecoog06

Oct 31, 2015
What is the process for updating the firmware in the future (since OTA is disabled) after using the root process described in the original post? Will the phone be wiped every time and will we need to go through the process all over?

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
What is the process for updating the firmware in the future (since OTA is disabled) after using the root process described in the original post? Will the phone be wiped every time and will we need to go through the process all over?
If you only unlock the bootloader without patching the boot.img. You will only need to download the update and flash it using Fastboot command.

If you patched the boot or flashed TWRP you will need to flash the current system stock boot.img back and then flash the update using the Fastboot command.

Regarding the device being wiped; it will depend on the update. Every update states whether it will wipe user data or not if you check ASUS download page.

But in general small size updates generally don't wipe but major updates do like the next coming Pie(9.0) update.

It's better to backup your data every time, you never know if something goes wrong during the update process.

Last edited:
Reactions: eecoog06
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone