{GUIDE} Rooting an HTC EVO Shift for Dummies!

Search This thread

zeal2136

Jan 26, 2011
HELP!!??

Stuck on step one <<< NOOB. Anyways I downloaded installer_r12-windows.exe and went through the process of installing it and it said "Java SE Development (JDK) not found" so i clicked the link and downloaded the package and installed it twice now, restarted the comp, everything i could think of and when I click on installer_r12-windows.exe to go through the process it keeps saying JDK is not found! Any ideas Thanks!

zeal2136

Jan 26, 2011
im running 2.2 but I cant even get android sdk tools to install because the java development kit wont show up and ive installed the java twice and rebooted twice still going through the sdk setup and says there is still no jdk?

Vinny702

Jan 19, 2011
Is there a way to root 2.3.3 yet? My girlfriend want me to root her phone and I haven't seen any way to root 2.3.3 yet..... Anything out there yet? Or anyone working on it?

honorlost84

Mar 15, 2011
lapeer
All because of the stupid gimmick of the evo 3d... I need my internet back. Sucks. Wish the devs would stop creating more 2.3.3 based rom and figure out how to root the stock

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

SoopahMan

Jun 30, 2006
North Hollywood, CA
I started with a fully patched HTC Evo Shift 4G running Android 2.3.4 (no modifications, just the standard stuff Sprint gave you) and with several forum posts including this one cobbled together a route to get to Android 2.3.3 permanently rooted.

Note that there's a lot of info out there that won't work on the updated Android 2.3 version of the Shift - in particular, all the easy stuff like ShiftRR, Visionary, and other simplified tools fails.

Generally:

1. Install the necessary pieces onto a Windows machine (HTC Sync, Android SDK, Clockwork Recovery Image, hboot, replacement ROM)
2. Prep phone (USB debugging)
3. Temp Root Android 2.3 with fre3vo
4. Unlock the bootloader (hboot)
5. Push Clockwork recovery
6. Restart into recovery
7. Prep phone from Clockwork Mod
8. Use Clockwork to install the new ROM

Download and Install onto a Windows machine

First, the list of things you need to install - most posts skip this because they're written by experienced modders with a lot of this already installed, but a first timer needs this info:

HTC Sync (click Download underneath HTC Sync for Evo). The software isn't specific to the regular Evo or Shift:
http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/downloads/

That's going to help the Windows machine talk to the phone over USB. Once it's done installing you may need to restart. Connect the phone to the machine over USB and let Windows complete the installation by "searching for drivers" for a while. You can move on to the next step while it does so.

Android SDK:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Currently the link says "installer_r16-windows.exe" - generally click the Windows Installer one. Make a note of where you installed the SDK to - for example, I installed mine to:
"C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk". If you missed the path while installing, after install you can right-click the SDK Manager and the path will be there (ending in SDK-Manager.exe).

Once it's done installing, you'll need to run the SDK Manager as Administrator (right-click the shortcut in Start Menu and click Run as Administrator) and Accept the first 2 items (Platform SDK and Platform Tools) and Reject all other items (not clicking Reject will just take longer - it will install a lot of other SDK components you don't need, and that's going to take a long time).

Click Install and wait for it to download and install the 2 items. Click Close. You can then close both the SDK window and the command prompt window that started it.

Open the SDK folder in Windows Explorer and open the platform-tools folder inside (on my machine that's "C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools"). We're going to dump a bunch of stuff in here to make the next steps easier.

The fre3vo file: http://tinyw.in/1lI
Both files here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14927732#post14927732
The unlocked bootloader ("Eng HBoot") - unzip the file and dump the 2 files inside into platform-tools:
http://cmw.22aaf3.com/speedy/hboot/speedy.hboot-0.93.2001.zip
The Clockwork Mod Recovery Image:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-speedy.img

Download the Evo Shift Fresh ROM - currently 4.1.1 but there may be a newer version, feel free to dig around on the site:
http://geekfor.me/shift/s23/fresh-shift-411/

There are a lot of ROMs out there, but for a first-time user like me, it would have helped to have someone just point me to a working one. The Fresh ROM approach allows you to use basically the same phone, but rooted - no crazy experimental stuff to crash it, and a little bit of crap is removed (nascar, CarrierIQ spyware, etc). Apologies to the many other ROM makers here for not making yours part of this guide.

Prep the phone

Turn USB Debugging on on your Shift by going Home, tap Menu, Settings, Applications, Development, USB Debugging.

Temp Root with Fre3vo

(I've cleaned up the instructions from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1185243
and here:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Evo_Shift_4G:_Full_Update_Guide#Flashing_the_Engineering_HBoot)

Hold left shift, and right-click the platform-tools folder, then click "Open command window here."

Enter the following commands (you can copy each line and right-click the command prompt window to Paste).

adb push hboot_eng.nb0 /data/local
adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
/data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start fbb58a00 -end FFFFFFFF

adb push Superuser3-beta1.apk /data/app/
adb push su-3.0-alpha7 /data/local/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 777 su-3.0-alpha7
./su-3.0-alpha7
cd /
mount -o remount,rw -t rootfs rootfs /
rm vendor
mkdir vendor
mkdir vendor/bin
cat /data/local/tmp/su-3.0-alpha7 > /vendor/bin/su
chmod 4755 /vendor/bin/su

Leave the command window open for the upcoming bootloader step.

Now on your phone, clear all notifications (this gets rid of the notification that "su binary is out of date," which is the phone trying to undo the hack you just made).

You now have temporary root on your phone - don't turn it off!

Unlock the bootloader (push eng hboot)

Now in the command prompt run:
su
dd if=/data/local/hboot_eng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
exit
exit

Unlock Recovery (push Clockword Mod Recovery)

In the command prompt run:
adb reboot bootloader

Note that this didn't work for me. You can get the same result by just shutting down the phone (yes, it's OK now), pulling the battery, putting it back in, holding Volume Down, then holding the Power button for 3 seconds. Let go of both buttons once the phone boots - it should boot into Bootloader mode.

Either way, once you're there, it will freeze for a bit, scan some files, then be ready for user input. Use Volume Up and Volume Down to move up and down the menus and Power to select things. Move to the Fastboot option and select it with Power. Then back on your computer in the command prompt type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-speedy.img

It should run briefly then say success (if it says error you may not have fastboot open on your phone - you need to be in the Fastboot menu, not the Hboot menu).

Use Clockwork Mod Recovery to prep the phone for Fresh ROM

Fresh ROM uses "apps2sd," which automatically pushes parts of installed apps to the SD card to keep the phone's internal storage as open as possible. It isn't optional and requires some steps for it to work - if you don't set this part up, nothing will install from the Market (the phone will reset) and you won't be able to connect to the phone via USB (the phone will reset).

On your phone, switch back to Hboot, choose Recovery, and press Power to select it. Wait for Clockwork Recovery to start up. If it crashes, you didn't flash Clockwork Recovery properly - go back to the hboot and clockwork steps.

You're about to wipe your SD card. You can copy anything you need from it before the next step by plugging your phone in over USB, going to the Mount option in Clockwork and choosing the last option, Mount USB Storage. While you leave this menu open you'll be able to copy things off of your SD card.

Choose Advanced then Partition SD. Choose a size (1024M is recommended), and wait.
Your SD card is now wiped, and part of it is now a Linux partition for storing the parts of apps that can be stored on the SD. The rest is still available to Windows (but empty).

Use Clockwork Mod Recovery to install Fresh ROM

Plug your phone in over USB if you haven't already and choose Storage then Mount USB Storage so you can dump things to the SD Card. Copy the Evo Shift Fresh ROM zip file (don't unzip it! Copy the zip file itself) over to the root of the SD Card.

Once that completes, Unmount USB Storage and go back to the main menu.

Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Install zip from sdcard

It will take a moment to perform the 2 wipe operations. Yes, you HAVE to do the Wipe data/factory reset. If you don't, when you install the rom you'll end up with an Android OS that is both configured for a Google user with some installed apps, and at the same time not configured for a Google user with no installed apps. This confusion will cause the phone to freak out, not show a lot of installed apps in the apps menu, not sync properly, and crash repeatedly.

Once you choose to install a zip, choose the freshrom zip (alllll the way at the bottom) and say Yes to installing it. It will take a while to install, then it will return to the Clockwork Recovery menu. At this point you can go back through the menu to Reboot.

I'm excited to finally be free of Nascar, the NFL app, Sprint's Navigation app, Sprint TV, and worst of all, HTC's Spyware app that continuously chewed away at my battery. Prior to this change, I was stuck with only a few MB available on internal storage. Now because I can delete the gunk, I've got 257MB used, 173MB free.

I spent 4 days getting this all to work, so I hope I didn't forget any steps! I hope this helps, if others here try these steps and get stuck just ask.

Last edited:

coachcoitus

Oct 23, 2009
I started with a fully patched HTC Evo Shift 4G running Android 2.3.4 (no modifications, just the standard stuff Sprint gave you) and with several forum posts including this one cobbled together a route to get to Android 2.3.3 permanently rooted.

Note that there's a lot of info out there that won't work on the updated Android 2.3 version of the Shift - in particular, all the easy stuff like ShiftRR, Visionary, and other simplified tools fails.

Generally:

1. Install the necessary pieces onto a Windows machine (HTC Sync, Android SDK, Clockwork Recovery Image, hboot, replacement ROM)
2. Prep phone (USB debugging)
3. Temp Root Android 2.3 with fre3vo
4. Unlock the bootloader (hboot)
5. Push Clockwork recovery
6. Restart into recovery
7. Prep phone from Clockwork Mod
8. Use Clockwork to install the new ROM

Download and Install onto a Windows machine

First, the list of things you need to install - most posts skip this because they're written by experienced modders with a lot of this already installed, but a first timer needs this info:

HTC Sync (click Download underneath HTC Sync for Evo). The software isn't specific to the regular Evo or Shift:
http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/downloads/

That's going to help the Windows machine talk to the phone over USB. Once it's done installing you may need to restart. Connect the phone to the machine over USB and let Windows complete the installation by "searching for drivers" for a while. You can move on to the next step while it does so.

Android SDK:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Currently the link says "installer_r16-windows.exe" - generally click the Windows Installer one. Make a note of where you installed the SDK to - for example, I installed mine to:
"C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk". If you missed the path while installing, after install you can right-click the SDK Manager and the path will be there (ending in SDK-Manager.exe).

Once it's done installing, you'll need to run the SDK Manager as Administrator (right-click the shortcut in Start Menu and click Run as Administrator) and Accept the first 2 items (Platform SDK and Platform Tools) and Reject all other items (not clicking Reject will just take longer - it will install a lot of other SDK components you don't need, and that's going to take a long time).

Click Install and wait for it to download and install the 2 items. Click Close. You can then close both the SDK window and the command prompt window that started it.

Open the SDK folder in Windows Explorer and open the platform-tools folder inside (on my machine that's "C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools"). We're going to dump a bunch of stuff in here to make the next steps easier.

The fre3vo file: http://tinyw.in/1lI
Both files here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14927732#post14927732
The unlocked bootloader ("Eng HBoot") - unzip the file and dump the 2 files inside into platform-tools:
http://cmw.22aaf3.com/speedy/hboot/speedy.hboot-0.93.2001.zip
The Clockwork Mod Recovery Image:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-speedy.img

Download the Evo Shift Fresh ROM - currently 4.1.1 but there may be a newer version, feel free to dig around on the site:
http://geekfor.me/shift/s23/fresh-shift-411/

There are a lot of ROMs out there, but for a first-time user like me, it would have helped to have someone just point me to a working one. The Fresh ROM approach allows you to use basically the same phone, but rooted - no crazy experimental stuff to crash it, and a little bit of crap is removed (nascar, CarrierIQ spyware, etc). Apologies to the many other ROM makers here for not making yours part of this guide.

Prep the phone

Turn USB Debugging on on your Shift by going Home, tap Menu, Settings, Applications, Development, USB Debugging.

Temp Root with Fre3vo

(I've cleaned up the instructions from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1185243
and here:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Evo_Shift_4G:_Full_Update_Guide#Flashing_the_Engineering_HBoot)

Hold left shift, and right-click the platform-tools folder, then click "Open command window here."

Enter the following commands (you can copy each line and right-click the command prompt window to Paste).

adb push hboot_eng.nb0 /data/local
adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
/data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start fbb58a00 -end FFFFFFFF

adb push Superuser3-beta1.apk /data/app/
adb push su-3.0-alpha7 /data/local/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 777 su-3.0-alpha7
./su-3.0-alpha7
cd /
mount -o remount,rw -t rootfs rootfs /
rm vendor
mkdir vendor
mkdir vendor/bin
cat /data/local/tmp/su-3.0-alpha7 > /vendor/bin/su
chmod 4755 /vendor/bin/su

Thanks a million for these instructions, glad to see it all in one place, finally. i think your post might merit becoming its own thread.

that said, i'm hitting a roadblock at the mount/remount step, i get an error that says "mount: operation not permitted."

background: my girlfriend installed the update to 2.4 this morning without asking me, and i had temp root before, obviously i lost that when the update installed. i remember after using the "/data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start fbb58a00 -end FFFFFFFF" command, i would get a message that said something about an exploit being run, and i would get a # instead of a $ after that. i'm no longer getting the # sign, and when i input the command, it scans a whole bunch of regions and then just stops. all the commands between that and the mount/remount command seem to work, but i hit a brick wall with those.

any help would be much appreciated! thanks!

crump84

Feb 19, 2011
The Gump
Reactions: VICODAN

coachcoitus

Oct 23, 2009
Yep. This thread is out dated. Should I post a copy of my thread in the dev forum?

soopahman's post says he has 2.3.4? i actually got fre3atlast to work one time, but for some reason my wireless tether (the biggest reason i need root) only worked when i was connected to 3g and not 4g.

also, the method linked to above seems to require losing all my data? any way that you're aware of to avoid this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all I noticed there is not an individual post that gives the entire root process for those that have never used ADB and probably don't have the SDK installed. In other words people that have never rooted a phone before and didn't think they ever would because they think it looks SUPER complicated.

There are several tutorial threads on this subject but I can guarantee that these are the most simple and detailed, START to FINISH, instructions regarding the root process of a HTC EVO Shift that you will find on the web. My information is compiled together from numerous sources and my own personal experience to give less confident people what they need in order to root their phone and remain at ease.

RED-REALLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED TO READ
    BLUE-Notes from my experience and further explanations
    Purple-File names color coded for easy identification

NOTE: I'm not responsible if you mess up your phone, however this process worked perfectly for me and it is pretty hard these days to brick your phone unless your trying.

Rooting Process

1. First, on your computer download the program "SDK" from Here. Download the file called "installer_r10-windows.exe". Install it. When prompted for the install path paste "C:\AndroidSDK" over the default path. Once finished, open it from the Start Menu. It should be right on your "C:\" drive. Now, select "Install Packages" and make sure you install "Android SKD Platform-Tools". Once finished, close out of Android SKD and AVD Manager.

2. ONLY FOLLOW THIS STEP IF PROBLEMS INVOLVING LOADING SDK OCCURS. Next, Go to the start menu and right click on "My Computer". Select "Properties", then select "Advanced"/"Advanced System Settings", then "Environment Variables", now go to the lower box (system variables) and select "path" then "Edit". Paste the following as your path "C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools", then select OK. This seems to have fixed most peoples problems.

3. Now, on your phone, press "Menu", then "Settings", then "Applications", then "Development". Check the box that says "USB Debugging" and press "OK" when the confirmation box appears.

4. Now, install HTC SYNC. There should be a folder on your SD card that came with the phone that has a HTC SYNC Setup in it. Just drag this to your desktop and run it. Otherwise download HTCSync. After installation, plug your phone into the computer and select "Disk drive" on your phones prompted menu.

5. Next, download the VISIONary app from Here and save it on your desktop. Once downloaded, Copy "com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk" and Paste it to the SD Card root. Or in other words, drop the file in the first folder of the SD card on your phone.

6. Next, switch your phone's connection status back to "Charge Only". Use any file manager (free from the android marketplace "ES File Explorer") to install the VISIONary app on your phone. On your phone just find the visionary installer in the file manager and click to install. (Icon should look like a caution sign). Once complete, open VISIONary on your phone and click "Temproot Now". Wait for the rooting process to take place. Shouldn't take long at all. At this point your phone is rooted. However, you may noticed that your phone is running slower than normal. Go back into VISIONary and put a check next to the box that says "temp root on boot". Now power off your phone and then turn back on. This will root your phone before background apps are running, thus making it much faster.

7. Next, Download the root file Here. Once installed, connect your phone to your computer as a disk drive and right click on the "shift-root.zip", select extract here, then use browse to locate your phone, more specifically the root of your SD card. If you are having trouble extracting, download 7-Zip. Now change your connection type back to "Charge only" again.

8. Next, Open the command prompt (Start > Run > type "cmd") and paste the following...
    Code:
    cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    Hit enter, and type the following...
    Code:
    adb
    If adb runs you're golden. Type this...
    Code:
    adb shell
    Hit enter, you will see this...
    Code:
    $
    Now type...
    Code:
    su
    Hit enter... Now switch back to your phone. Superuser (an automatically installed program) will prompt you to "Allow" on your phone. Click it quickly to allow permissions! Now you will see this in the command prompt...
    Code:
    #
    You have root permissions. If you didn't click allow fast enough just retype "su" and click enter again.

9. Next you have to Verify md5sum. Basically just make sure you copy and paste this EXACTLY...
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
    Then hit enter.Your result should look like this...
    Code:
    386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0  hboot_orig.bin
    Make sure the numbers match. You may have some extra path in front of hboot_orig.bin.

If a message saying that the md5sum is not found, paste this code before verifying the md5sum. If it worked in the first place then ignore all this red...
    Code:
    busybox md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0
    It should work now...

Next copy and paste this exactly...
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0
    Then hit enter.Your result should look like this...
    Code:
    60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e  hboot_eng.nb0
    Make sure the numbers match. You may have some extra path in front of hboot_eng.nbo. If these do not match do not proceed. Delete the "shift-root.zip" file on your sd card and redownload.

10. Now we're going to flash the "eng spl." This is where the unpleasant things can happen. Make sure you are in "adb shell" with superuser root permission (Granted a "#" symbol). This was explained in Step 8. If you are not in "adb shell" with root permissions (Granted a "#" symbol) then DO NOT proceed.

Now DO NOT REBOOT until you are instructed to do so!!! In the command prompt, paste this EXACTLY...
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    Hit enter. You have flashed the "eng spl." Now we need to make sure it flashed properly.

11. Run this command to pull the newly flashed "hboot" to your sdcard. Copy and paste this EXACTLY...
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0
    Hit enter. Next you need to check the "md5" to see if it matches. In the command prompt, Copy and paste this EXACTLY...
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0
    Hit enter. It should read...
    Code:
    60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e
    if the "md5sum" matches then congratulations its safe to reboot!! you can skip the next bit and continue on to step 12.

If you absolutely cannot get the eng hboot to flash right then copy and paste this into the command prompt...
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    Hit enter. Then pull it to check "md5". Copy and paste this exactly...
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin
    Hit enter. Then check the "md5sum" by copying and Pasting this exactly...
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin
    Hit enter. It should read...
    Code:
    386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0
    If it doesn't, keep trying the previous 2 codes until it does but DO NOT!! reboot till it matches.

12. Now we can Perm root!!! First you need to reboot your phone into "bootloader". Do this by turning off phone and hold (power + volume down) till it boots into bootloader. Look at the top and make sure it says "s" off. If so, reboot the phone back into android by turning off and then back on.

13. Next Put the phone into airplane mode (hold down power and then click "airplane mode"). Go to setting, applications, manage applications and uninstall superuser.

14. Next, temp root with visionary. After you are temp rooted then attempt to perm root with visionary. Your phone will reboot and you are now officially perm rooted any changes you make will now stick on reboot. If it didn't stick, try doing steps 13 and 14 again.

YOUR PERMROOTED

Simplified Backup (with WiMax Backup!)

Find "ROM Manager" in the Market (free or paid) and install the app.

Open it and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery".

Click on "HTC Evo Shift 4G" and then give the app root permission if it prompts you.

Once the flash is successful, you should see a dialog box that says "Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!"

Press OK.ClockworkMod should now be installed on the HTC Evo Shift 4G.

Before you backup your phone, open the ROM Manager application and select "All Clockwork Recoveries".

Select the most recent version, currently it is v.3.0.1.4 (If you already have the most current version skip to step 6)

Press OK.

Your phone will flash the most current recovery image.

Now once your phone finished, open ROM Manager and select "Backup Current ROM".

Press OK.

Your phone will begin the backup process, including backup of your WiMax Partition.

Once finished your phone will restart. DONE! A backup is now on your memory card.

UnRooting

1. Be sure HTC Sync is installed on your computer. (Link to download near top of first post)

2. Download the sprint RUU Download.

3. Plug your phone in to your PC, select "charge only", then run the RUU File

Sources:
    More Detailed Perm Root Instructions
    Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and Getting Started with ADB
    ADB/Fastboot Easy 5 Minute Setup
    All About Rooting the HTC Shift: FAQ's & How To's

IF YOU THINK ANY OTHER INFORMATION SHOULD BE ADDED FEEL FREE TO SHOOT ME A PM AND I'D BE HAPPY TO ADD IT.

ADDITIONALLY IF THIS GUIDE HELPED YOU OUT FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A THANK YOU.
    Click "back", and then "next" again. It was doing that to me too.
    If you are perm rooted with s-off you can uninstall visionary and remove the shift folder from your sd.

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA Premium App
    There's already a guide and its pretty basic

I understand there are already guides but they are not necessarily for people that have never rooted a phone before... And that is what this guide is for.

Other guides assume people have all the required software preinstalled and that they know what the guide is referring to when it says to "flash" certain things. They also assume people know how to Temp root using VISIONary and how to check the md5sum. This is for people that have done absolutely nothing to an android phone before and have no clue what the other guides are even talking about.

And yes I understand there are simplified guides that involve individual steps but this is a BEGINNING to END guide for Dummies so there is no need to jump across multiple threads.
    To each their own..maybe someone will find a use

IF you don't have something constructive to share.....! STFU