How To Guide NO LONGER BEING UPDATED (Guide) Rooting, payload dumper, magisk_patched guides NE2213

Search This thread

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Pretty sure it's simple as:
  1. Apply OTA
  2. In Magisk app "Install to inactive slot"
It's great that you know some of it..

What about if you want to retain root? What if you didn't turn off the modules you already had?

What update APK do you use? The one built in or another one? Where do you get it?

Plus not having relevant information in a location people can see is as useless as someone who doesn't use a search button.

centifanto

Sep 1, 2022
centifanto.net
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 9
It's great that you know some of it..
Huh? Know some of what?

What about if you want to retain root? What if you didn't turn off the modules you already had?
You said a couple comments back....
I'll update the OP at some point with instructions on how to update correctly and retain root.
....so I was just pointing out the simple answer, that to retain root, all you have to do is "Install to inactive slot" after applying the OTA

What update APK do you use? The one built in or another one? Where do you get it?
You have all of this in your OP and recent comments regarding A13.....why would I repeat all of that?

Plus not having relevant information in a location people can see is as useless as someone who doesn't use a search button.
I am trying to help the thread by simplifying the answer for someone else coming across you statement about how to retain root after an OTA. And you are calling it useless?

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Huh? Know some of what?

You said a couple comments back....

....so I was just pointing out the simple answer, that to retain root, all you have to do is "Install to inactive slot" after applying the OTA

You have all of this in your OP and recent comments regarding A13.....why would I repeat all of that?

I am trying to help the thread by simplifying the answer for someone else coming across you statement about how to retain root after an OTA. And you are calling it useless? Nice...
Dude??

You've gone...

Totally read my comment incorrectly now you're being aggressive, it's pointless.

What you wrote was accurate but was missing a lot of information.

If I feel the need to update MY OP then I shall, I don't need anyone to advise me on that.

My point was there are a good few pit falls to look out for and to have them loosely dotted around a thread for people to search for is not adequate, does that make sense now?

I'm not having a go at you in this post or the last, if you can't see that then I really help you buddy.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Also android 13 is not in the OP nor is the APK... The Method is but not the files nor the specifics, they're just dotted around the thread which will eventually be lost to more posts and yes it is a useless method to expect people to search because most don't.

centifanto

Sep 1, 2022
centifanto.net
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 9
Totally read my comment incorrectly now you're being aggressive, it's pointless.

If I feel the need to update MY OP then I shall, I don't need anyone to advise me on that.

I'm not having a go at you in this post or the last, if you can't see that then I really help you buddy.
Hmm, ok, I guess I did read your comment incorrectly then. When you say it was useless, came across wrong to me, when I was just trying to help others who might read the thread, by pointing out how simple it was to retain root, not trying to tell you how to maintain your OP.

What you wrote was accurate but was missing a lot of information....

....My point was there are a good few pit falls to look out for and to have them loosely dotted around a thread for people to search for is not adequate, does that make sense now?....

.....Also android 13 is not in the OP nor is the APK... The Method is but not the files nor the specifics, they're just dotted around the thread which will eventually be lost to more posts and yes it is a useless method to expect people to search because most don't.
I am used to searching and reading whole threads to figure stuff out. I also was under the impression this was the expectation for all XDAers to abide by. If after doing that, and someone is still confused, then by all means ask a question. I have tons of bookmarks from all of my reading so I can cross reference when I need the info.

If you're not being aggressive, then cool glad for the clarification. I'm good if you are :) Apologies for the misunderstanding the tone of your comments

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Hmm, ok, I guess I did read your comment incorrectly then. When you say it was useless, came across wrong to me, when I was just trying to help others who might read the thread, by pointing out how simple it was to retain root, not trying to tell you how to maintain your OP.

I am used to searching and reading whole threads to figure stuff out. I also was under the impression this was the expectation for all XDAers to abide by. If after doing that, and someone is still confused, then by all means ask a question. I have tons of bookmarks from all of my reading so I can cross reference when I need the info.

If you're not being aggressive, then cool glad for the clarification. I'm good if you are :) Apologies for the misunderstanding the tone of your comments
Don't worry about it man, it's cool.

I'm not usually aggressive unless there's just cause and even then I'd be prefer not to be, I also wasn't insinuating that you don't search. I was however saying that a lot of people do not and to make things easier and to not have to answer the same thing over and over again it would be good to have some outlined instructions.

People will still ask for clarity, it's just human nature to want to be sure.

Either way, I'm sure it'll help.

👍🏻

Prant

Jan 23, 2017
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
...so I was just pointing out the simple answer, that to retain root, all you have to do is "Install to inactive slot" after applying the OTA
Agreed, while the basic steps are correct, in this case there are more to do BEFORE rebooting.
Though in general, installing to inactive slot before rebooting is pretty much all most people need in most scenarios.
Doesn't hurt to have all this info in one spot (the OP), for sure.
Yeah, for example just installing to inactive slot after making sure all magisk modules were uninstalled and doing the OTA actually booted me into a Qualcomm Crashdump with the OxygenOS 13 Beta 3. I definitely suggest taking the longer route with this device, just to be safe.

The fool proof method is to reroot after fully unrooting, updating with OTA, then with a patched boot.img and booting via fastboot over again.

The main issue when updating is simply module compatibility.

Safety net fix, zygisk and systemless is adequate for the likes of gpay to work.

For other apps like Netflix it wont be
I removed all module before updating and after the update to root was detected, thats how i come to the idea not to remove the modules which hide root.

What is the standard error message when netflix fails?

clavelm80

Jan 9, 2017
Annecy
OnePlus 9 Pro
I managed to root my NE2213 with Android 13 following your guide.
On a phone I just bought.
Update oxygen os/Android 12 to the latest version in the system.
Download oxygen os/Android 13 full update with oxygen updater and update the phone.
Extract the boot.img from the full update with FastbootEnhance on windows 10 (there was a warning that my update file was not a full one, which was wrong, but the extraction was still possible).
Patching the boot image with magisk 25.2 release on the phone.
Oem unlock with fastboot.
Booting on the patched image with fastboot.
Patching the phone from magisk (on the first launch of magisk, it had to connect to internet and reboot the phone so I had to go back in fastboot mode and boot on the patch image again).

Now, with magisk 25200 (release) + zygist LSPosed 1.8.4 (6615) + shamiko 0.5.2 (120) + universal safetynet fix (2.2.1) all is working.
Momo does not detect root because I hide it from it in magisk exclusion list that shamiko use to hide root from selected apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-24-11-52-44-41_18b762caed461a44a1cb711654544210.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-24-11-52-44-41_18b762caed461a44a1cb711654544210.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2022-09-24-11-52-33-61_8ecd68a317969a903887707449183b6f.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-24-11-52-33-61_8ecd68a317969a903887707449183b6f.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 49

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
I managed to root my NE2213 with Android 13 following your guide.
On a phone I just bought.
Update oxygen os/Android 12 to the latest version in the system.
Download oxygen os/Android 13 full update with oxygen updater and update the phone.
Extract the boot.img from the full update with FastbootEnhance on windows 10 (there was a warning that my update file was not a full one, which was wrong, but the extraction was still possible).
Patching the boot image with magisk 25.2 release on the phone.
Oem unlock with fastboot.
Booting on the patched image with fastboot.
Patching the phone from magisk (on the first launch of magisk, it had to connect to internet and reboot the phone so I had to go back in fastboot mode and boot on the patch image again).

Now, with magisk 25200 (release) + zygist LSPosed 1.8.4 (6615) + shamiko 0.5.2 (120) + universal safetynet fix (2.2.1) all is working.
Momo does not detect root because I hide it from it in magisk exclusion list that shamiko use to hide root from selected apps.
Nice one man, glad you're all sorted.

Reactions: clavelm80

beterman

Jan 23, 2017
Bochum
Hi guys
I'm currently on the latest Android 12 version with root.
what do I have to do so that I can update to Android 13 without problems with root?

beterman

Jan 23, 2017
Bochum
this guide?

Guide

1. Download the relevant firmware for your device via oxygen updater

2. Open Magisk and remove all the modules you have installed, then reboot

**NOTE- At this point I tend to copy out the whole firmware to my computer, incase I need it in the future, the boot img and patched boot img are at the foot of this guide, I'll always upload the latest firmware as soon as it comes out for the UK/EU model

3. Install the OnePlus local install apk listed below in downloads. Click the cog and select "Local Upgrade" the file should be listed on screen, if not then move the file to the root of your phones storage.

4. Click install and allow it to go through the process

**NOTE- DO NOT REBOOT AT THIS POINT YOU WILL LOSE THE ABILITY TO PATCH ON THE FLY, SIMPLY BACK OUT OF THE SCREEN WHICH SAYS "INSTALLATION COMPLETED. RESTART TO EXPERIENCE NEW FEATURES"

5. Open up magisk and click install (you may see two install buttons, top one is magisk and the bottom is magisk manager, we need the top one)

6. You'll be faced with a screen that has several options, you want to select "Install to Inactive slot (After OTA)" then select "LET'S GO" once complete click reboot.

7. Once your phones booted back up your system / files should all remain as they were and you should have root access.

You can now install all your modules again so long as they're compatible with the firmware you've just updated to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Thought i'd share a guide on how to get these boot images yourself as well as all the files required, plus the patched boot.img if you just want to go ahead and boot/flash it without obtaining one yourself

Please read the process before committing to proceeding, so you know what's required and what you should and shouldn't use!

Stock and patched images are UK/ EU NE2213 but the guides are universal and could be used on multiple devices.

:)

NOTE:

For these guides the versions used are:
    Stable, Canary or BETA depending on firmware, simply change the channel in Magisk settings then select install / update:

NE2213_11_A.12
    Magisk Manager v24.3 (24300) Stable

NE2213_11_A.13
    Magisk Manager v24.3 (24300) Stable

NE2213_11_A.14
    Magisk Manager v25 (25000) Stable this version retains root after a restart, more stable version over previous iterations.

NE2213_11_A.16
    Magisk Manager v25.2 (25200) Stable

NE2213_11_C_20

NE2213_11_C_21

NE2213_13.1.0.520 (EX01)
    Magisk Manager v26.1 (25200) Stable

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.521 (EX01)
    Magisk Manager v26.1 Stable

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.580 (EX01)
    Magisk Manager v26.1 Stable

1st

Extracting a boot.img using Fastboot Enhance

Pre-requisites

A device with a working version of magisk manager installed, simply change the channel to the version outlined in the list above relevant to your firmware then select install / update:

A Windows 10 computer / laptop
    A full update downloaded firmware zip for your model (recommend oxygen updater)
    Payload dumper program for Windows.
    An unlocked bootloader.
    The local System Update Installer : normal local system update will not allow a reboot during installation, the one I've linked will.

Process

On your computer

1. Download and copy the fastboot enhance folder to your desktop or a location of your choosing.

Download from here: https://github.com/libxzr/FastbootEnhance/releases

2. Download the firmware of your choice (always use full zips, not incremental) and open it using Winrar or a similar zip program, extract the file called payload.bin to a folder of your choosing.

3. Run the program FastbootEnhance.exe, a window will appear, click Payload Dumper, then click browse and point to the payload.bin file, the contents of that payload.bin will now be shown, bare in mind you'll need to check the box "Allow incremental" even if it's a full zip

4. One of the files will be called boot.img, this is the file we'll be patching, click extract then copy this to your phone, root of storage which is called /sdcard.

On your phone

5. Open up Magisk and click Install / Update, if you don't see update then change channel, do this by changing the channel in magisk settings, it'll then show the install/ update buttons.

6. Select "Select and Patch a file" it'll open up a file browser, navigate to the boot.img you copied earlier and select it, allow it to complete (this will output a file called "magisk_patched" which will be output into the Downloads folder)

You now have a patched boot.img ready to boot or flash to either slot with fastboot or boot via fastboot.

I would recommend booting as this is risk free, if it's a bad image for whatever reason and you choose to flash then your phone will bootloop.

NOTE** Some people have noticed that an already patched boot.img when flashed can fail and cause a boot loop when flashed, so if you have downloaded a magisk_patched img from somewhere else then you WILL need to re-patch it on your own device preferably using the afore mentioned magisk manager based on what firmware it's from.

If you intend to follow the guide below with your own patched img then you shouldn't need to patch it twice but it won't hurt if you do.

;)

2nd

Update from XX stable to XX+ stable whilst retaining root

Guide

**NOTE- Although this may work, the system may be unstable, especially when changing bases, eg: Android 11-12 or 12-13, so if you encounter strange behaviour then a factory wipe is advised.

1. Download the relevant firmware for your device via oxygen updater

2. Open Magisk and remove all the modules you have installed, then reboot

**NOTE- At this point I tend to copy out the whole firmware to my computer, incase I need it in the future, the boot img and patched boot img are at the foot of this guide, I'll always upload the latest firmware as soon as it comes out for the UK/EU model

3. Install the OnePlus local install apk listed below in downloads. Click the cog and select "Local Upgrade" the file should be listed on screen, if not then move the file to the root of your phones storage.

4. Click install and allow it to go through the process

**NOTE- DO NOT REBOOT AT THIS POINT YOU WILL LOSE THE ABILITY TO PATCH ON THE FLY, SIMPLY BACK OUT OF THE SCREEN WHICH SAYS "INSTALLATION COMPLETED. RESTART TO EXPERIENCE NEW FEATURES"

5. Open up magisk and click install (you may see two install buttons, top one is magisk and the bottom is magisk manager, we need the top one)

6. You'll be faced with a screen that has several options, you want to select "Install to Inactive slot (After OTA)" then select "LET'S GO" once complete click reboot.

7. Once your phones booted back up your system / files should all remain as they were and you should have root access.

You can now install all your modules again so long as they're compatible with the firmware you've just updated to.

3rd

Rooting using fastboot commands

Method 1

Booting the patched image

1. Obtain a patched boot image for your device variant preferably using payload dumper or download one of mine from the foot of this guide or if you've just performed the above guide you should already have a functional one, copy this file to your fastboot folder on your computer

**NOTE - The above suggested downloads are for the EU / UK variant- if you have another model / firmware please use that instead, If you did not obtain the boot.img from a firmware and patch it yourself, you will need to patch it again in magisk manager to avoid a bootloop, if you still get a bootloop it's best to obtain one yourself using the guide at the top of this post.

2. Reboot your phone to fastboot
    and connect to your computer.

3. Boot the magisk patched img

fastboot boot magisk_patched (or name of your patched boot img)

Your phone should now boot automatically, you should now be rooted but we need to make this permanent, if you were to reboot you would lose root.

4. Open magisk manager and click install/update, if you are missing the install/ update buttons, change magisk version to beta in magisk settings and install the update, the buttons should then show.

5. Select Direct install (recommended) then click ok.

6. Allow magisk to permanently root your device then click reboot.

You should now boot and remain rooted.

Method 2

Flashing to both slots

1. Obtain a patched boot img for your device variant or download one of mine from the foot of this guide or if you've just performed the above guide you should already have a functional one, copy this file to your fastboot folder on your computer

**NOTE - Again the above suggested downloads are for the EU/ UK variant- if you have another model / firmware please use that instead, if you did not obtain the boot.img from a firmware and patch it yourself, you will need to patch it again in magisk manager, to avoid a bootloop

2. Reboot your phone to fastboot and connect to your computer.

Command: adb reboot bootloader

3. Open a command prompt on your computer and navigate to your ADB/fastboot folder.

4. Type the following.

fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched

Press enter.

fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched

Press enter

fastboot reboot

Press enter

6. Your phone should now boot, open magisk and verify you're rooted.

Troubleshooting

If flashing succeeds but you don't have root and you've followed all the instructions, you may have some magisk modules still active, try performing the following.

1. Connect your phone to your computer.

2. Reboot the phone, then during the boot animation enter this command via ADB.

adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules

3. Allow to boot, modules will be removed and root should then be active.

If there is no magisk install / update buttons.

1. Make sure you have granted permission to magisk in settings / apps / magisk / permissions

2. Make sure that the update channel is on canary, then force close magisk and then re-open

3. If it still doesn't work then update magisk using canary

4. Last method to check would be to change to the beta channel in magisk settings, then install it.

Or change the update channel, install the version on offer, then change back to canary, install and you should be good to go.

Window's version

Windows 7 will not work with fastboot, please use Windows 10

USB

Use USB 2.0 not 3.0 or 3.1

ADB

These are the files i use for ADB (in the below list) tested these on fresh installs of windows on several windows machines, all win 10

Place them into the root of C so it reads C:\ADB much easier to navigate to that way.

Bootloader unlock

Boot to the bootloader with adb reboot bootloader

type fastboot flashing unlock

Agree to unlock - allow to boot.

If you can't see the device using ADB

Make sure USB Debugging is turned on

Connect your cable to your phone and computer, when asked what you want your phone to do, click on transfer files, a driver will be installed.

After this reconnect your phone and it'll prompt you with a disclaimer with a check box, check the box and click ok, ADB / Fastboot should now work.

Files:

Local System update APK, this must be used as the local OnePlus 10 Pro one will not allow a reboot during the installation, so you cannot install the Magisk boot image during an upgrade, the android 13 local update apk is also required for rolling back to android 12.

Android 13 local update apk

Android 12 local update apk

ADB Files for Windows 10:

Payload dumper program for Windows-
    https://mega.nz/folder/vU00FZDa#PIEfjl5w5wonyNAwHW3FBQ

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.12 Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.12 Patched boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.13 Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.13 Patched boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.14 Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.14 Patched boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.16 Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.16 Patched boot image

Android 13

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_C_20 Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_C_20 Patched boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_C_21 Stock boot image https://mega.nz/folder/LNVxTDYA#yly9xpjFjQhe4De_jqyzbw

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_C_21 Patched boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.520 (EX01) Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.520 (EX01) Patched boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.521 (EX01) Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.521 (EX01) Patched boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.580 (EX01) Patched boot image

OP UPDATE: New boot images in OP

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.520 (EX01) Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_13.1.0.520 (EX01) Patched boot image

Patched with magisk 26.1 stable.

Enjoy :)
    OP UPDATED: Stock and patched boot images using magisk 25

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.14 Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.14 Patched boot image

If they don't work (they will :) but if for whatever reason they don't) @spevil07 has been so kind to extract and patch and upload for you too, 2 posts up from here so drop the lad a thanks (y)

Please use magisk 25 as it retains root and has a lot of under the hood fixes and tweaks for efficiency.

Cheers (y)
    OP UPDATED: Better late than never, both the boot image and patched boot images are up.

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.13 Stock boot image

Oxygen OS NE2213_11_A.13 Patched boot image

Finally managed to get this horrific PC working where i am, turned out to be a cable that was failing on fastboot but not on adb? who knows, all i know is it took me over a day and 4 windows installations, bloody brutal.

Anyway, i have everything i need now so the second another firmware drops it'll be here in a timely fashion, apologies for the wait.

(y)
    NE2213_11_C20 :
    boot.img and magisk-patched-boot