[GUIDE] Rooting the Samsung Captivate Glide i927/i927r

Search This thread

MrX4000

Mar 19, 2013
Can someone please provide a link to the Rogers flash? The Rapidshare one is gone :( ... Please and Thank you

I found this file ... SGH-I927R_insecure_bootimg .... will this work?

Last edited:
N

Nardholio

I don't use the Captivate Glide as my daily anymore, but I do NOT recommend using any of the methods in this thread to root your phone because they are for Gingerbread. The newer ICS roms do work on Rogers. Rooting with ICS is as simple as flashing CWM with Odin and then flashing superuser.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda premium

MrX4000

Mar 19, 2013
I don't use the Captivate Glide as my daily anymore, but I do NOT recommend using any of the methods in this thread to root your phone because they are for Gingerbread. The newer ICS roms do work on Rogers. Rooting with ICS is as simple as flashing CWM with Odin and then flashing superuser.

THANK YOU ... very helpful :)

vjkiller

Dec 18, 2012
link dead

the link for the rogers rooted rom is dead. I already rooted my i927 with the att rogers rom, but now I can NOT select 4G as my default mobile network mode. Back when my phone was not rooted with the rogers stock rom I was able to select 4G instead of 3G as my default network mode, but now after rooting with the att variant that option is gone and the phone is only conecting through edge, which is painfully low in my country. Can some please provide the rogers rooted rom or tell if the rogers rooted one has that option disabled too. thanks

roberto9992012

Apr 16, 2013
the link for the rogers rooted rom is dead. I already rooted my i927 with the att rogers rom, but now I can NOT select 4G as my default mobile network mode. Back when my phone was not rooted with the rogers stock rom I was able to select 4G instead of 3G as my default network mode, but now after rooting with the att variant that option is gone and the phone is only conecting through edge, which is painfully low in my country. Can some please provide the rogers rooted rom or tell if the rogers rooted one has that option disabled too. thanks

Have you found it yet? I need it it's the only way I can unlock my rogers phone.... Please someone help me find the rooted rom

vjkiller

Dec 18, 2012
try the att

Have you found it yet? I need it it's the only way I can unlock my rogers phone.... Please someone help me find the rooted rom

Roberto you can try the ATT Stock rooted ROM. Once you have your phone rooted, you can download an app called GalaxSim Unlock, someone from the XDA forum is the developer and has the link in the post reggarding his app. With that app you can unlock your phone.

I tell you that app works, because my Captivate Glide got unlocked suddenly (from Rogers, I'm using it from Colombia) and that approach worked.
1. Download the ATT rooted ROM
2. Flash it with ODIN
3. Download GalaxSim Unlock (the one from this forum, the Google Play version is priced)
4. Use root permission to unlock the phone (the app handles the backup of the /efs partition where the IMEI info and radios reside)
5. Voila! the phone is unlocked again :)
6. If you want you can flash the Rogers Stock ROM (the phone will not get locked, flashing a ROM doesn't touch the /efs partition)

I doscovered that last part by myself, because nobody told me that flashing a ROM doesn't touch the /efs partition

Now that I have my phone unlocked again, I'm using the ICS Stock rooted ROM, removed all the ATT apps and the phone is runing Android 4.0.4 smoothly.

PD: Seems that ATT removed the option to chose the Network Mode from their ROMS, because in ICS I don't have that option either. Anyway I don't have a data plan, I always use the phone with wifi, from time to time I buy a data package and the phone switches from EDGE to HSDPA+ which causes some slowness when using a data connection.

Hope that helps

yohan4ws

Oct 23, 2012
Calgary
i have the stock rogers rooted rom (as it turns out) ... SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar.bz2 228megs.

PM me a place to upload it ...

slayerbizkit

Apr 14, 2013

Noob here :eek:, just got my glide in the mail today and don't want to risk bricking it. Do you know of a better guide to use to root it? Also, what is rogers?

leaffan99

Feb 25, 2013
Windsor
Lol, I don't know too many of the smaller players, im about to start on Straight Talk, debating if I should root my phone or not.

Im only kidding lol... rooting your phone is a good idea if you need access to everything and changing your ROM etc... if you don't feel you need this or too difficult... downloading something like Go Launcher, Nova Launcher, etc can also change the look of your phone without rooting:)

tech927

Dec 5, 2012
Eyes-free method of phone rooting

Hello,

Is this guide still valid? Reading it looks like a lot of you rooted gb phones.

My phone started out as AT&T gb, then I went to AT&T ICS last November, which is where it is at now.

I am wanting to root my phone then flash a custom rom on to it, in this case a dev named Spyke555's Cm 10.1 rom.

I've read the original posting and have read all other postings in this forum and am confused, the original post seems a multistep process while I've read others who say flash the LiteKernel 1.0 through CWMR.

I am running the Captivate Glide SGH-i927 - AT&T as I said now running Ics.

I am blind so am wondering if there's an eyes free method to root and flash my phone, perhaps through adb? I've also got physical Windows xp/7 boxes as well as virtual Linux Ubuntu 12.04 machines if I can flash from there. If anyone knows how to flash from Linux in particular I would appreciate knowing about it.

I have looked everywhere but can't find the AT&T stock kernel. Does anyone have a link?

I am interested in having all stock files saved to my computer in case I have to return to factory settings (warranty purposes), or if I need to recover my phone if I brick it.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.
tech927

roberto9992012

Apr 16, 2013
Help can't root rogers

Hello Everybody..
First of all I want to thank yohan4ws for sharing the I927R (rogers) rooted room with me...

I followed the instructions to root my phone(odin and stuff), but I haven't been able, when I open SUperSU it says that I need to update, I choose to do it but it sends an error message. Tried a couple of times but it's not working, can somebody help me please? the phone can't be unlocked by mep codes, my only hope is to root it so I can unlock it without codes...

yohan4ws

Oct 23, 2012
Calgary
Hello Everybody..
First of all I want to thank yohan4ws for sharing the I927R (rogers) rooted room with me...

I followed the instructions to root my phone(odin and stuff), but I haven't been able, when I open SUperSU it says that I need to update, I choose to do it but it sends an error message. Tried a couple of times but it's not working, can somebody help me please? the phone can't be unlocked by mep codes, my only hope is to root it so I can unlock it without codes...

Roberto, download Es File Explorer, enable the "Root Settings" so that you can browse up to root, if you can view /system and /efs from within es file explorer then your phone is rooted.

If not, then something might be wrong with that rom and I have another that might work.

roberto9992012

Apr 16, 2013
:(

Roberto, download Es File Explorer, enable the "Root Settings" so that you can browse up to root, if you can view /system and /efs from within es file explorer then your phone is rooted.

If not, then something might be wrong with that rom and I have another that might work.

in fact now when I open play store it says no conection though I'm conected to wifi, so I'm not able to install Es file explorer, anyway... before that happens I installed Root checker, and it says the phone is not rooted.

leaffan99

Feb 25, 2013
Windsor
Finally, the Captivate Glide is successfully rooted.
Credit:
[*]Download the rooted ROM (AT&T based ROM)
or the Rogers rooted based rom (Unzip with WinRAR not 7zip)

Can either of these ROMs be used to root an unlocked AT&T Captivate Glide??
Or will the phone end up getting locked to AT&T again??

I don't think it matters at all if the phone is unlocked, the only concern might be that it re-locks it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally, the Captivate Glide is successfully rooted.
    Credit:

• lambgx02 who provided the Carrier IQ free kernel (by Rogers) and the insecure kernel and the Rogers rooted ROM!!!
    • ardatdat who provided the rooted ROM and the overclocked kernel
    • samsfirware.com that provided the firmware without which nothing would have been possible
    • myself, crazy tester who bricked his device
    Very easy steps:
    If you are on Rogers, no need to flash the kernel, it is already CarrierIQ free

1. Download Odin 1.85
    2. Download the CarrierIQ FREE kernel (zip file) or the overClocked version of it.
    3. Download the rooted ROM (AT&T based ROM)
      or the Rogers rooted based rom (Unzip with WinRAR not 7zip)
    4. Unzip the file and keep the .tar, that the file you are going to push to your device
    5. Put your phone in Download Mode:
      • Turn off the phone
      • Press volume UP and keeping the button pressed, press the power button
      • a screen should ask you if you wanna continue - press volume up to confirm
    6. Launch Odin
    7. in PDA, select the first kernel downloaded (tar file you just unzipped)
    8. DON'T SELECTor UNSELECT ANYTHING ELSE
    9. Press the start button
    10. Wait for your phone to reboot
    11. This kernel will remove any traces of CarrierIQ, and you are now free from AT&T Spyware
      • IF AND ONLY IF this flashing fails, try the exact same steps with the insecure kernel
    12. Reboot your device into download mode again (steps above)
    13. Flash the rooted rom
    14. Go to the market and make sure you have the latest version of superuser
    15. go to superuser, check you have "su" updated

You're now rooted!

For any other questions, watch this first PLEASE:
    N
    Nardholio

There is already a thread for this... reporting for locking.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

I don't think it needs locked, they need their own subforum. We can put up with them here till they get it, they need a space to develop, too.

And congrats on getting root into the kernel rom!
    Hey, wait a minute.. I provided the rooted rom.. :D

But in all honesty, that's the easy part. Those nagging Samsung, the testers risking their devices, and of course, the OP who finally found the stock firmware images deserve the credit. Not to mention sammobile.com / samfirmware.com.
    I have found that the faster new way to root the phone is to flash CWM first and then flash the rooted kernel from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1468626 via CWM. Took me a few minutes to do.
    indeed but you still need ODIN to flash the recovery
    once you have CWM any custom rom have root included ;)