[GUIDE] Rooting the UMIDIGI F2 | Magisk | TWRP

Search This thread

devogod

Jun 1, 2017
After your phone is in fastboot, unplug the cable from it and then plug it in again. Type
Code:
fastboot devices
If your phone doesn't show up, then it's either an iffy cable or drivers.

I have 3 different cables and none of them work differently. I get nothing from fastboot devices. I tried drivers that I'm pretty sure are correct, but i'm not 100% on that. When installing them there's adb drivers, bootloader mode drivers and another I can't remember off the top of my head. I've tried all three with no difference. Where do I find drivers that are for sure correct? When the phone is booted Device Manager sees that its an F2 and adb works. In fastboot mode it shows up as "android device" no matter what drivers I try.

zerosava

Jul 3, 2018
Memphis
I have 3 different cables and none of them work differently. I get nothing from fastboot devices. I tried drivers that I'm pretty sure are correct, but i'm not 100% on that. When installing them there's adb drivers, bootloader mode drivers and another I can't remember off the top of my head. I've tried all three with no difference. Where do I find drivers that are for sure correct? When the phone is booted Device Manager sees that its an F2 and adb works. In fastboot mode it shows up as "android device" no matter what drivers I try.

Try these drivers: https://mtkusballdriver.com/download/mtk-usb-v1-0-8
(Uninstall old ones first and reboot)

marisaleh

Sep 22, 2009
---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

After your phone is in fastboot, unplug the cable from it and then plug it in again. Type
Code:
fastboot devices
If your phone doesn't show up, then it's either an iffy cable or drivers.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

NARSIL really won't make any difference on an UMIDIGI phone. It's designed to nullify ALL software signal processing (VIPER, too) on phones with exceptional audio hardware (primarily good Digital to Audio converters [DACs]) Why are you trying to use it? UMI phones have generic "good enough" chipsets like most phones. In these use cases, some software signal processing is generally preferred. I recommend dumping NARSIL and AML. Install Viper after and you should be fine.

I have uninstalled all music mods
on the phone, eg; musicFX, etc etc
Also uninstalled AML.

I installed, the latest version of
Viper on its own.

The result is that there is a sound
level, but the volume buttons on
the side of the phone don't seem
to be working anymore.

Volume up, Volume down, mute,
none of them is now doing anything.

Interesting, I wonder ?

I'll be grateful if you can send me
your working version of Viper.....

Last edited:

zerosava

Jul 3, 2018
Memphis
---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

I have uninstalled all music mods
on the phone, eg; musicFX, etc etc
Also uninstalled AML.

I installed, the latest version of
Viper on its own.

The result is that there is a sound
level, but the volume buttons on
the side of the phone don't seem
to be working anymore.

Volume up, Volume down, mute,
none of them is now doing anything.

Interesting, I wonder ?

I'll be grateful if you can send me
your working version of Viper.....

Weird. Here it is.
You might need to flash the super partition in fastboot.

Attachments

• ViPER4Android_FX-v2.7.1.6(2716).zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

marisaleh

Sep 22, 2009
Finally, I have managed to
get a working solution.

I installed the latest version
of Ainur in Magisk

of Viper on top of Ainur

I configured Viper to run in
Legacy mode

They are now working together
perfectly producing high levels
of audio

Anyway, thanks for all your help
much appreciated.

Now on a separate issue ;

I had a problem trying to get the
headset to work, and it was intermittent

I have now found a solution for that :

If you remove the permission to
the microphone from Google,
effectively disabling 'ok google'
then the headset will work
flawlessly

There seems to be a conflict between
Google's use of the microphone and
using the headset to listen to audio

Therefore you have to disable one
to be able to use the other

How very very stupid is that ?

Have you any ideas ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drkmatr1984

marisaleh

Sep 22, 2009
Weird. Here it is.
You might need to flash the super partition in fastboot.
get a working solution.

of Ainur in Magisk

of Viper on top of Ainur

Legacy mode

of audio

much appreciated.

flawlessly

Have you any ideas ?

gorillaz_gr

03_november_2020

I would like to submit my experience for UMIDIGI F2 , update to V3.17 and rooting with Magisk.

So the new update can be found in the original forum here:
UMIDIGI F2 V1.0_20200506.V3.17 ROM - SPFT + OTA release

it's better to save your personal data on PC or SDCARD , because a fresh installation is always better than just updating. (a lot of times something goes wrong, or we miss a step)

1) I had to boot once into the new ROM , to enable <<Developer Options>> and <<OEM Unlocking>>
2) I am using Linux system so I did not have any problems with windows-drivers and followed the steps (in the 1st post) <<Unlocking Bootloader>>
3) after unlocking the boot-loader you can continue with <<Rooting using Magisk patched boot.img>>
*to help you , I uploaded the patched-image-file in this post.
4) until someone makes TWRP to work better with Android 10, and especially with our phone, there is no need to install it at this point.

Attachments

• magisk_patched.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 55

gorillaz_gr

pop-notifications problem on Android 10

I am having a lot of issues with many apps that if I don't use them for some amount of time, perhaps after one hour, I don't get any notification. It can be a bank application, or Telegram, or Viber, or Messenger etc.
I tried testing a few changes in the notification settings per app, but today I will use this guide and see what will happen:

Android 10 comes with a new feature called Adaptive notifications. You may disable it to restore normalcy, and see if that helps.

→ Go to Settings > App & notifications > Advanced > Special app access > Adaptive notifications > select None.

Reactions: Uranya

Justross

Mar 5, 2020
I can't get viper4android to work at all.
I have the latest ROM, Magisk, and Magisk Manager.
I used SELinux permissive.
I tried using the rootless driver through TWRP.
I tried with Legacy mode and compatibility mode
Nothing works
I downloaded the viper version other people were using in this forum too but to no avail.
I get:

Driver version: 2.5.0.4
NEON enabled: No
Enabled: no
Audio format: Unsupported
Processing: No
Sampling Rate: 0

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I figured it out

Last edited:

RSardana

Dec 23, 2020
GOOD NEWS ! I managed to make it work, I don't really know how, but I now have Magisk 20.2 installed. Here is what I did.
1) Clean install UMIDIGI_F2_V1.0_20200106.V3.08 with SPFT
2) Download the f2rootedboot file from zironia
3) Start ADB while booted; run adb reboot bootloader
4) unlock if not already done with fastboot flashing unlock followed by fastboot flashing unlock_critical
5) I flashed a bunch of partitions with dm-verity disabled.
6) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot f2rootedboot.img
7) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash recovery recovery.img
8) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
9) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash super super.img
10) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash tee1 tee.img
11) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash tee2 tee.img
12) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash cache cache.img
13)/!\ WILL RESET DATA : fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash userdata userdata.img
13) fastboot reboot

I'm really not sure if you really need all that hassle, but that made it work for me. PLEASE USE FASTBOOT FROM BOOTLOADER (adb reboot bootloader, or choose "Reboot in Bootloader" in recovery / fastbootd)
Hi, can you please make a full tutorial that is updated? A tutorial on how to root the Umidigi F2 With the latest details methods and download links, thanks! *its confusing to find what to do, if there are so many different responses, so it would be helpful to have an updated tutorial that shows how to root it without getting a boot loop*

gorillaz_gr

it's a few posts earlier written by me:

check it out:
UMIDIGI F2 rooting guide

Hi, can you please make a full tutorial that is updated? A tutorial on how to root the Umidigi F2 With the latest details methods and download links, thanks! *its confusing to find what to do, if there are so many different responses, so it would be helpful to have an updated tutorial that shows how to root it without getting a boot loop*

marisaleh

Sep 22, 2009
I can't get viper4android to work at all.
I have the latest ROM, Magisk, and Magisk Manager.
I used SELinux permissive.
I tried using the rootless driver through TWRP.
I tried with Legacy mode and compatibility mode
Nothing works
I downloaded the viper version other people were using in this forum too but to no avail.
I get:

Driver version: 2.5.0.4
NEON enabled: No
Enabled: no
Audio format: Unsupported
Processing: No
Sampling Rate: 0

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I figured it out
I have the same problem with Viper4Android

If you have figured it out I'll be grateful if you can show me how

sackings241

Feb 8, 2021
Thanks to your guide, I was able to root my Oukitel C21 lol. Same mt6771 chip. Took me a while though, because I'm working with a chromebook.

Drkmatr1984

Mar 9, 2016
get a working solution.

of Ainur in Magisk

of Viper on top of Ainur

Legacy mode

of audio

much appreciated.

flawlessly

Have you any ideas ?
This worked for me. Haven't tried the headset yet but my bluetooth speakers are working.

Uranya

Apr 30, 2013
Bari
Hello everyone here!

I have just bought an F2 and thank to your guidance I have got the root, these are the steps I have followed::

1. Clean install UMIDIGI_F2 V3.17 with SPFT
  2. Patched the original boot.img using Magisk v22 as patched.img
  3. fastboot flashing unlock followed by fastboot flashing unlock_critical
  4. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot patched.img
  5. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img (from stock ROM)
  6. fastboot reboot

After these steps everything is OK, except I was unable to install BUSYBOX

I have tried to install it even in /system/xbin, and tried all others paths available, but every time I get a "not installed" message, or a fake correctly installed message, because it really isn't installed, although I have granted it the root.

What can I do? In android 9 it is flawless in xbin, but here, in version 10, won't work.

Thank you for your precious guide, please help me to get this last step too.

Uranya

Apr 30, 2013
Bari
Ok friends, I hadn't realized that Busybox is available as a Magisk module too, so, it's surely better to have it in a systemless root environment!

Sorry for my unattended request :)
Peace inside

Compacthack

Jan 30, 2011
Moto G 5G Plus
Hi Guys, has anyone been able to install a GSI rom on the F2 ? I was about to get HAVOC 3.7 on mine a year or so ago, but I recently tried the current version of HAVOC but its to big to fit into the F2 standard partitions, I tired to repartition it but it fails to resize at fastboot ?
Any ideas ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an attempt at rooting the UMIDIGI F2. Caution be advised, we are not responsible for your mistakes; but rest assured, most of them can be corrected.
    Rooting the F2

Disclaimers
    This is important, please read thoughtfully.
    whatever you do, never ever use SP Flash Tool in "Format All+Download" mode. This will wipe your IMEIs and some other bad stuff will happen like loss of fingerprint sensor. This cannot be reversed by us.
    Once bootloader is unlocked, warranty is considered void. By following this guide, you consent to that happening. Safety net CTS will not pass anymore unless you flash Magisk which hides the unlocked bootloader.
    Never relock your bootloader while running anything unofficial as the phone will not boot until you unlock again.

And, once again, a lot of bad things can happen like bootloops, if that happens to you don't freak out and reflash stock, redoing the rooting process from the start. It might be time consuming, but that's your safest bet!
    More important even, have fun rooting, it's before all a hobby!

Various Resources
    >>> Latest official stock ROM <<<
    Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
    > Magisk (and Manager) by topjohnwu <
    Mediatek SP Flash Tool
    Latest unofficial TWRP

Unlocking Bootloader

ATTENTION!! After unlocking the bootloader, all user data in the phone's memory will be lost, so do not forget to throw all the most important things on your computer or flash drive!
    1) Activate "Developer options" through Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number multiple times.
    2) Open "Developer options" in Settings > System > Tap Advanced.
    Enable "OEM Unlocking" and enter your password to confirm. Enable "USB Debugging" as well.
    3) On Windows, download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
    On Linux, use your packet manager to install android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot
    4) Open command prompt (Win + R > type cmd) or a terminal on linux.

5) Plug your phone, accept the prompt about adb and the PC signature.
    6) Type adb reboot bootloader to reboot in fastboot mode.
    THESE NEXT TWO STEPS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR DATA
    7) Unlock the bootloader using fastboot flashing unlock and pressing Vol+
    8) Unlock the secure partitions using fastboot flashing unlock_critical and pressing Vol+
    9) Restart using fastboot reboot
    You will now always see "Orange State" at boot; this is completely fine and will only delay your boot by 5 seconds.

Rooting using Magisk patched boot.img
    This is "experimental" and is probably overkill, but everyone managed to install Magisk with it.
    1) Clean install UMIDIGI_F2_V1.0_20200106.V3.08 with SPFT by selecting the scatter file, pressing download an rebooting the phone (Make sure it is in "Download Mode" and not "Format + Download")
    2) Patch boot.img by copying it to your device, using Magisk Manager to patch it, and get back the magisk_patched.img in the Download folder back to your PC.
    3) Start ADB while booted; run adb reboot bootloader. Alternative is to reboot to recovery and selecting "reboot to bootloader"
    4) unlock if not already done with fastboot flashing unlock followed by fastboot flashing unlock_critical
    You can try without --disable-verity --disable-verification if those commands are not recognized. I have not tested without them.
    6) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot magisk_patched.img
    7) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash recovery recovery.img (recovery.img from stock)
    8) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img (vbmeta.img from stock)
    9) fastboot reboot
    When rebooting, install Magisk Manager. It will prompt to finalize the installation, you can do so.
    Congratulations ! You are now a proud Magisk user ! All credits goes to @topjohnwu he's the real MVP here.

Returning to stock / Resolving issues
    The best way to resolve any issue is to return to stock. Here is the method.
    1) Download latest stock ROM ("SPFT .zip") on UMIDIGI's forums
    2) Download SP Flash Tool if you don't have it yet (Windows only)
    3) Extract stock ROM in SP Flash Tool directory
    4) Open SP Flash Tool, Download Tab, "Choose" in Scatter-loading file, select the scatter file in the stock ROM directory.
    5) If you want to keep your data, untick "userdata" partition
    6) Press Download and connect your device via USB. Reboot the phone or turn it off and everything will be flashed.
    7) If you want a full stock experience, I recommend relocking the bootloader so that SafetyNet will pass. Get into fastboot mode by using adb reboot bootloader and use fastboot flashing lock_critical followed by fastboot flashing lock. This will wipe your data once more.
    You should be good to go.

TWRP
    Device Tree
    >> Download my latest build here <<
    Flash in Bootloader mode with fastboot flash recovery twrp_f2.img
    Android 10 and TWRP aren't compatible yet. /system and /vendor cannot be mounted. /data partition is encrypted. You can still flash .img and some zips that alter different partitions. Nothing I can do about it.

Misc
    Different boot modes
    Recovery / TWRP :
    • Turn off the phone (or reboot)
    • Press Vol+ and Power until some choice comes up to you
    • Navigate using Vol+, select Recovery Mode using Vol-
    Bootloader mode :
    • Boot into TWRP, select Reboot, Bootloader
    • Or use adb reboot bootloader either in recovery or system
    • Or use fastboot reboot-bootloader in fastboot mode
    Magisk and EdXposed
    Fixing Magisk bootloop
    Two techniques that could work after installing a module that broke everything :

Hook your device up to a computer (or other device you can run adb from) and execute the following command:
    adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules

After that you can start your device and as soon as adb is available the command will activate, the modules will be removed and the device will reboot.
    -----
    You could also try :
    If you can't boot your device, this can be done by placing a file in /cache (/data/cache on A/B devices) named ".disable_magisk" (without quotation marks and with the leading dot). This will enable Core Only Mode and you can boot up your device, uninstall the troublesome module and then go into the Manager settings, disable Core Only Mode and reboot. In TWRP you can create the file through the TWRP terminal with the touch command, see below for an example.

Installing EdXposed
    Please use the latest YAHFA or Sandhook canary build. I have a report of Xposed-SandHook-v0.4.6.1 (4504)-tdgptedc-release working.
    I have read that orange Fox recovery works better with Android 10 than twrp. If anyone is capable of settng it up maybe we can use it instead.

https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox
    Here's the updated Rooted Boot using Magisk 20.3. The boot is the latest one from the stock v3.09 firmware. Using the older rooted boot with the newer v3.09 causes no wifi so use this updated rooted boot if you want to root the latest firmware.

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261734425
    @zironia I'll see what I can do for sure ! Probably super easy to setup since I've got the device tree already.

Edit : Looks promising. I'll download the manifest and build it tomorrow.
    I've tried everything as well. Still bootloop. Your patched image doesn't work for me. I've unlocked critical as well as regular unlock.

1. Did you tick any box in Magisk Manager ?
    2. Did you relock afterwards ?
    3. What firmware version ?