• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Rooting the UMIDIGI S5 Pro | Magisk

Search This thread

zerosava

Jul 3, 2018
Memphis
I am able to get FastBoot Mode on my screen (through step 6). I plug the phone back in per directions & I hear the Windows device connected chime.
I type: fastboot flashing unlock in the same cmd window
and I get "<waiting for any device>" in the cmd window and it hangs.
Every few seconds I hear the Windows device disconnected noise, but no device connect chime. This lasts indefinitely.
I repeated step 7 several times with variations with the Vol+ button: pressing first, holding down while pressing enter in cmd window, pushing afterward, holding down afterward, etc. Same results as described above.
Any help available? Should I not unplug my phone from the PC? The F2 directions did not require that.
thanks!
Try these drivers: https://mtkusballdriver.com/download/mtk-usb-v1-0-8
(Uninstall old ones, if any, first, then reboot before installing)

Thanks for this guide. I am completely lost with step 7 and 8. What does the Unlock the bootloader using fastboot flashing unlock and pressing Vol+ mean?????? Where do you enter the unlock code and what is it?

Reactions: Drkmatr1984

Halwer

Aug 29, 2013
Vienna
Dear members!

There is another UMIDIGI S5 Pro thread and I just wanted to let you know that I made a half working TWRP for the device, however with this ,,super" partition layout we should try to flash custom GSIs through fastbootd, but for now it does not fully work for me.

Reactions: cyclick001

Cinephile 74

Feb 19, 2017
Houston, TX
Hey folks with brains bigger than mine, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I might be able to tell which variant of the Umidigi S5 Pro I have, the UK or American version?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-002105.png
    Screenshot_20210421-002105.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20210421-002153~2.png
    Screenshot_20210421-002153~2.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 14

Halwer

Aug 29, 2013
Vienna
Hi,

Check your serial number, if you can find anything interesting there. I don't think that there are specific versions for UK and US, if you ordered from AliExpress for example you received the global version, which supports most mobile networks in the world. Maybe you got a different charger, but that's it. I am not sure, if any ,,Chinese ROMs" exist or not.

Don't flood please. :)

Last edited:

Cinephile 74

Feb 19, 2017
Houston, TX
Thanks for your reply. I purchased from Amazon I believe,; the first time I booted into fastboot the menu was ahh Chinese (thanks Translate); has since stopped. I've rooted several lG And Samsung Models,; am a bit rusty and wanted to make sure. Thanks again!

Ed Haddon

Jun 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I purchased from Amazon I believe,; the first time I booted into fastboot the menu was ahh Chinese (thanks Translate); has since stopped. I've rooted several lG And Samsung Models,; am a bit rusty and wanted to make sure. Thanks again!
If the build number says Umidigi_S5_Pro.E_Vxxxxx then the E indicates that the build is the European version including the UK the latest version of which is at V1.2_20201130 on the Umidigi site. If the build number says Umidigi_S5_Pro_Vxxxxx then as it has no E in it then it is the International version the latest version of which is at V1.3 on the Umidigi site.
There is no different Soc chip between the European and the international models unlike Samsung, so you do not have to worry about that. I believe Umidigi had two versions when it was V1.1 because of legal requirements, but it stopped updating the European version at V1.2 and stopped updating the International version at V1.3, and does not intend to update either anymore. If you install the European V1.2 using local OTA install then it will not install the International V1.3 via local OTA install, as it goes through the motions and then boots back to V1.2. But you can happily use the International V1.3 on a UK phone, but to go from E_1.2 to V_1.3 you have to use the SP Flash Tool https://www.mediafire.com/file/3lvy9mlwmuhlkjf/SP_Flash_Tool_v5.2052.rar/file rather than local OTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halwer

cyclick001

Jun 15, 2021
Dear members!

There is another UMIDIGI S5 Pro thread and I just wanted to let you know that I made a half working TWRP for the device, however with this ,,super" partition layout we should try to flash custom GSIs through fastbootd, but for now it does not fully work for me.
atleast you are trying keep the good work up. i have no idea why there isnt much people working on twrp for this device. the device is decent and runs well. let me know if you are successful in finishing the project.

Reactions: Halwer

Halwer

Aug 29, 2013
Vienna
Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

unfortunately it seems the only way to flash a ROM is through fastboot or SP Flash Tool after unpacking the super.img and replacing the system.img with a GSI. You can find more info and detailed descriptions in the mentioned thread.

zy718

Jan 27, 2010
My s5 pro can not edit or add APN. There is no "+" in the APN settings to create a new one, and all editing functions are greyed out. The APN for telus is wrong, so I can not connect to LTE. Anyone else come across this? Any obvious solutions?

zerosava

Jul 3, 2018
Memphis
Guys, just wanted to let you know that I no longer have an S5 Pro. I gave it to my girlfriend after hers broke so I can still answer some questions, but it's been unrooted and is now stock so no customizations or TWRP stuff will be done on it anymore. I wish you all lots of luck with your phones in the future. BTW, I kept my S3 Pro instead, I like it a lot more and it works better with Fi, which I am now on. I still have my F2, so you can ask me about it in this forum: Rooting the F2 Guide

Guys, just wanted to let you know that I no longer have an S5 Pro. I gave it to my girlfriend after hers broke so I can still answer some questions, but it's been unrooted and is now stock so no customizations or TWRP stuff will be done on it anymore. I wish you all lots of luck with your phones in the future. BTW, I kept my S3 Pro instead, I like it a lot more and it works better with Fi, which I am now on. I still have my F2, so you can ask me about it in this forum: Rooting the F2 Guide
Hello fellow root-ster I'm preparing to root my S5 Pro and was wondering what method you used if any, that differs from the thread found here on XDA (?)

I am able to get FastBoot Mode on my screen (through step 6). I plug the phone back in per directions & I hear the Windows device connected chime.
I type: fastboot flashing unlock in the same cmd window
and I get "<waiting for any device>" in the cmd window and it hangs.
Every few seconds I hear the Windows device disconnected noise, but no device connect chime. This lasts indefinitely.
I repeated step 7 several times with variations with the Vol+ button: pressing first, holding down while pressing enter in cmd window, pushing afterward, holding down afterward, etc. Same results as described above.
Any help available? Should I not unplug my phone from the PC? The F2 directions did not require that.
thanks!
Recommend a new USB cord. Sometimes its that simple.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello fellow root-ster I'm preparing to root my S5 Pro and was wondering what method you used if any, that differs from the thread found here on XDA (?)
    I used the method at the beginning of this thread. BTW, I wrote this thread :)
    Hi,

Check your serial number, if you can find anything interesting there. I don't think that there are specific versions for UK and US, if you ordered from AliExpress for example you received the global version, which supports most mobile networks in the world. Maybe you got a different charger, but that's it. I am not sure, if any ,,Chinese ROMs" exist or not.

Don't flood please. :)
    EDIT: I attached a zip with AIDA64's reports for this phone. One report has Magisk hidden from AIDA64, the other doesn't.

This mostly a copy of _cab13_'s Rooting the UMI F2 post as the same instructions for rooting that phone are how I rooted the S5 Pro. So please give _cab13_ thanks here if this helped you root your phone. I'll take a thanks for removing the orange state warning if I helped you with that ;)

Please be patient when posting questions, I will get back to you as quickly as I can. I just have many responsibilities which take up a great deal of my time.

Rooting the S5 Pro

Disclaimers
    This is important, please read thoughtfully.
    whatever you do, NEVER EVER use SP Flash Tool in "Format All+Download" mode. This will wipe your IMEI['s]s and some other bad stuff will happen like loss of fingerprint sensor. This cannot be reversed by us.
    Once bootloader is unlocked, warranty is considered void. By following this guide, you consent to that happening. Safety net CTS will not pass anymore unless you flash Magisk which hides the unlocked bootloader.
    Never re-lock your bootloader while running anything unofficial as the phone will not boot until you unlock again.

And, once again, a lot of bad things can happen like boot loops, if that happens to you, don't freak out! Simply re-flash the stock ROM, redoing the rooting process from the start. It might be time consuming, but that's your safest bet!
    More important even, have fun rooting, it's before all a hobby!

Various Resources
    >>> Latest official stock ROM <<<
    [Non European] UMIDIGI_S5Pro_20210107.V3.04
    [European] UMIDIGI_S5Pro.E_20201130.V3.04
    Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
    > Magisk (and Manager) by topjohnwu <
    Mediatek SP Flash Tool
    UMIDIGI Community Forum S5 Pro Thread

Unlocking Bootloader

ATTENTION!! After unlocking the bootloader, all user data in the phone's memory will be lost, so do not forget to throw all the most important things on your computer or flash drive!
    1) Activate "Developer options" through Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number multiple times.
    2) Open "Developer options" in Settings > System > Tap Advanced.
    Enable "OEM Unlocking" and enter your password to confirm. Enable "USB Debugging" as well.
    3) On Windows, download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
    On Linux, use your package manager to install android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot
    4) Open command prompt (Win + R > type cmd) or a terminal on linux.
    5) Plug your phone, accept the prompt about adb and the PC signature.
    6) Type adb reboot bootloader to reboot in fastboot mode. Unplug your cable from your phone
    and replug it after fastboot is printed at the bottom of the screen.
    THESE NEXT TWO STEPS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR DATA
    7) Unlock the bootloader using fastboot flashing unlock and pressing Vol+
    8) Unlock the secure partitions using fastboot flashing unlock_critical and pressing Vol+
    9) Restart using fastboot reboot
    You will now always see "Orange State" at boot; this is completely fine and will only delay your boot by 5 seconds.

Rooting using Magisk patched boot.img
    This is "experimental" and is probably overkill, but everyone managed to install Magisk with it.
    1) Clean install UMIDIGI_S5Pro_20200702.V3.02 (or the European one) with SPFT by selecting the scatter file, pressing download an rebooting the phone
    (Make sure it is in "Download Mode" and not "Format + Download")
    2) Patch boot.img by copying it to your device, using Magisk Manager to patch it, and get back the magisk_patched.img in the Download folder back to your PC.
    3) Start ADB while booted; run adb reboot bootloader. Alternative is to reboot to recovery and selecting "reboot to bootloader"
    4) unlock if not already done with fastboot flashing unlock followed by fastboot flashing unlock_critical
    5) In the following code, the vbmeta.img and the recovery.img are the stock files from the ROM you downloaded and extracted.
    Code:
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot magisk_patched.img
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot reboot

When rebooting, install Magisk Manager. It will prompt to finalize the installation, you can do so.
    Congratulations ! You are now a proud Magisk user ! All credits goes to @topjohnwu he's the real MVP here.

Returning to stock / Resolving issues
    The best way to resolve any issue is to return to stock. Here is the method.
    1) Download latest stock ROM on UMIDIGI's forums
    2) Download SP Flash Tool if you don't have it yet (Windows only)
    3) Extract stock ROM in SP Flash Tool directory. Refer to Flash Tool guide if needed.
    4) Open SP Flash Tool, Download Tab, "Choose" in Scatter-loading file, select the scatter file in the stock ROM directory.
    5) If you want to keep your data, untick "userdata" partition. MAKE SURE FORMAT IS NOT SELECTED!
    6) Press Download and connect your device via USB. Reboot the phone or turn it off and everything will be flashed.
    7) If you want a full stock experience, I recommend relocking the bootloader so that SafetyNet will pass. Get into fastboot mode by using adb reboot bootloader and use fastboot flashing lock_critical followed by fastboot flashing lock. This will wipe your data once more.
    You should be good to go.

ONE LAST THING
    Get rid of your orange state warning.
    Download the attached zip file and extract.
    Put your phone into fastboot and:
    Code:
    fastboot erase lk
    fastboot erase lk2
    fastboot flash lk lk_patched.img
    fastboot flash lk2 lk_patched.img
    fastboot reboot
    No more orange state warning! Reflash the stock lk before unrooting, though.

ATTACHED LK FILE IS FOR UMIDIGI S5 Pro ONLY.
    Hi guys ,i lost the imei on my phone and have the" Googlekeystate:fail", how can i fix them, thanks for you help.
    hello, good and bad news.. fix but fingerprints are lost for good