[Guide] Run Native 120hz & 144hz on RM3S&RM3 (Root & NoRoot)

Search This thread

SilentDevGuy

• Feb 10, 2021
    I am not responsible for anything you do to your device.

Hello everyone at XDA, today I have prepared for you a way to turn your RM3S display from 90hz alternating, to a locked 120hz or 144hz. Possibly rm3 as well, I do not have mine on hand at the moment but i dont see why not.

Reason why?
    Locking the screen to 90hz+ increases visual fidelity in programs locked to 60hz that suffer from a green tint, these programs will now run in 90,120, or 144hz.

Issues:
    I have had no issues or problems with this tweak, it also survives a reboot.

Use long version if you have no root.

For those technically inclined here is the short version :
    1.Change db_screen_rate in the system tables
    Values: "0" 60hz locked "1" 90hz alternating "2" 120hz locked "3" 144hz locked

The value is the number itself nothing else.

Long version :
    1.Download setedit main branch, known as "Settings Database Editor" on apkmirror. You can skip step 2 if you download the foss fork by MuntashirAkon, the app will tell you if you cant.

2. In adb on your pc OR in a ROOT SU TERMINAL, give setedit the permissions with the command it displays on the screen.

3. After giving it the neccasary permissions it should work right away but a restart of the app will make sure it does.

4. Go to the system tables section and scroll down until you reach

db_screen_rate

5. Click it, and click edit value, and use the value of your choosing from the above 1-4.

6. Profit.

FAQ
    1.The setting isnt there?
    Answer: You can add it yourself and it will still work
    These refresh rates are natively supported by the display panel on the rm, they are however hidden to push advertising for newer devices with higher refresh rates stock OR to increase the longevity of your panel. I have experienced no negative effects however.

OR

The value isnt changed only whats visible, this requires testing in slow motion next to a 144z display, regardless this does enable 60hz apps to run in the higher refresh rate and have no tints or fidelity loss.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Perseo99 and lius90

lius90

Jul 2, 2010
    I would love to try this on my RM3 (non root Global ROM) but I am afraid after changing this setting it will cause my device to not usable as I only have one daily driver.

SilentDevGuy

• Feb 10, 2021
    I would love to try this on my RM3 (non root Global ROM) but I am afraid after changing this setting it will cause my device to not usable as I only have one daily driver.
    People have told me the setting doesnt show for RM3, likely that the panel isnt 100% the same as RM3S, can you confirm the setting is there for you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I am not responsible for anything you do to your device.

Hello everyone at XDA, today I have prepared for you a way to turn your RM3S display from 90hz alternating, to a locked 120hz or 144hz. Possibly rm3 as well, I do not have mine on hand at the moment but i dont see why not.

Reason why?
      Locking the screen to 90hz+ increases visual fidelity in programs locked to 60hz that suffer from a green tint, these programs will now run in 90,120, or 144hz.

Issues:
      I have had no issues or problems with this tweak, it also survives a reboot.

Use long version if you have no root.

For those technically inclined here is the short version :
      1.Change db_screen_rate in the system tables
      Values: "0" 60hz locked "1" 90hz alternating "2" 120hz locked "3" 144hz locked

The value is the number itself nothing else.

Long version :
      1.Download setedit main branch, known as "Settings Database Editor" on apkmirror. You can skip step 2 if you download the foss fork by MuntashirAkon, the app will tell you if you cant.

2. In adb on your pc OR in a ROOT SU TERMINAL, give setedit the permissions with the command it displays on the screen.

3. After giving it the neccasary permissions it should work right away but a restart of the app will make sure it does.

4. Go to the system tables section and scroll down until you reach

db_screen_rate

5. Click it, and click edit value, and use the value of your choosing from the above 1-4.

6. Profit.

FAQ
      1.The setting isnt there?
      Answer: You can add it yourself and it will still work
      These refresh rates are natively supported by the display panel on the rm, they are however hidden to push advertising for newer devices with higher refresh rates stock OR to increase the longevity of your panel. I have experienced no negative effects however.

OR

The value isnt changed only whats visible, this requires testing in slow motion next to a 144z display, regardless this does enable 60hz apps to run in the higher refresh rate and have no tints or fidelity loss.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone