• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Guide][S-OFF] How to root HTC Chacha (for S-OFF only)

Search This thread

adlx.xda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
This is a small (but detailled) guide about how to root you HTC Chacha if it is S-OFF.

(1) Download Mikevhl's CWM recovery (PH06IMG.zip) from this thread to your phone's SD card (in the root of the sdcard).

(2) Download Superuser zip from this thread, also to the root of your sdcard. Choose "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip". (EF is for Eclair, Froyo and later)

(3) Go to settings -> Power -> uncheck "Fastboot"
Turn off the phone
Hold VOL Down + Power for 5 seconds

(4) The phone will boot to HBOOT. It should show S-OFF.

If you see S-ON, it won't work.

Following a few seconds, it will scan automatically for a PH06IMG.zip file on sdcard and propose you to install it.

(5) Press volume Up to start flashing the file (the CWM recovery)

(6) Once done, when asked, press power to reboot the phone.

The phone will then reboot normally.

(7) Rename the PH06IMG.zip on your SDCard to PH06IMG.zip.CWM for example.

(8) Turn off the phone again, and Hold VOL Down + Power for 5 seconds, to get back again to HBOOT

(9) Once in HBOOT, the phone will scan again for a PH06IMG.zip on the sdcard. It should fail (as we renamed the file).

(10) Use vol-up/vol-down to select "RECOVERY" in the menu and press "Power".

This will get you to CWM recovery

(11) Using the keyboard arrows and "Return" key to select, choose "Apply zip from SDCard", then "Select zip" (or something like that). Choose the file su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip and press return. Then choose "Yes".

(12) Once flashed sucessfully, press "

Last edited:

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
This is a small (but detailled) guide about how to root you HTC Chacha if it is S-OFF.

(1) Download Mikevhl's CWM recovery (PH06IMG.zip) from this thread to your phone's SD card (in the root of the sdcard).

(2) Download Superuser zip from this thread, also to the root of your sdcard. Choose "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip". (EF is for Eclair, Froyo and later)

Turn off the phone

Following a few seconds, it will scan automatically for a PH06IMG.zip file on sdcard and propose you to install it.

(8) Turn off the phone again, and Hold VOL Down + Power for 5 seconds, to get back again to HBOOT

(9) Once in HBOOT, the phone will scan again for a PH06IMG.zip on the sdcard. It should fail (as we renamed the file).

(11) Using the keyboard arrows and "Return" key to select, choose "Apply zip from SDCard", then "Select zip" (or something like that). Choose the file su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip and press return. Then choose "Yes".

(12) Once flashed sucessfully, press "<x] DEL" to get back to the main menu, and select "Reboot" to reboot your phone

That's it, the phone is rooted :).

You can try for example Android Terminal Emulator, and type "su", Superuser will popup, give access and you should be root.

Credits:
- Mikevhl for porting CWM recovery to Chacha
- ChainsDD for Superuser

Thanks! I suggest you change the title to be more clear that this is for s-off users and not that it will give s-on users s-off. Something like the [S-OFF] tag for example? Great tut by the way, would've loved it if I was a new s-off ChaCha user ;)

adlx.xda

Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
Thanks! I suggest you change the title to be more clear that this is for s-off users and not that it will give s-on users s-off. Something like the [S-OFF] tag for example? Great tut by the way, would've loved it if I was a new s-off ChaCha user ;)

Title updated ;). Credit is urs for bringing us the recovery!

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e

Reactions: johnnydeathmatch

myxcon

Jul 12, 2008
So there's no way to root without s-off and no way to s-off without xtc clip? Any forecast for the immediate future for any breakthrough in this field?

I'm not very technical in this. All I do is follow guides (in rooting all previous htcs) but at least I'm good at that.

What exactly would you, more experienced people in this domain, to manage to obtain root and s-off, without buying aditional items (such as the xtc clip).

Thanks

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
So there's no way to root without s-off and no way to s-off without xtc clip? Any forecast for the immediate future for any breakthrough in this field?

I'm not very technical in this. All I do is follow guides (in rooting all previous htcs) but at least I'm good at that.

What exactly would you, more experienced people in this domain, to manage to obtain root and s-off, without buying aditional items (such as the xtc clip).

Thanks

Kernel attacks, though I assume I am the most experienced developer for the chacha, or at least no one else came up with anything. And I lack that knowledge. So don't count on s-off coming from anyone else than HTC. Though no one tried the temproot exploit from the evo3d yet..

Reactions: myxcon

myxcon

Jul 12, 2008
I can't say that I would need root for anything spectacular, since I find the stock rom to perform decently.
But I do miss some features, like the market enabler, changing boot animations and such.

I apreciate as much as I can all the hard work put into obtaining root status and was merely wondering what us "the people" can do to help.

The phone that I just received today, is unfortunatelly an s-on unit :)

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
I can't say that I would need root for anything spectacular, since I find the stock rom to perform decently.
But I do miss some features, like the market enabler, changing boot animations and such.

I apreciate as much as I can all the hard work put into obtaining root status and was merely wondering what us "the people" can do to help.

The phone that I just received today, is unfortunatelly an s-on unit :)

I by no means was trying to make anyone look bad with my comment or give the impression that my ego is as huge as the size of mount everest.

You could try the rooting tutorial with fre3vo?

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
Tried the fre3vo exploit (from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1149998) , no luck :(

$ ./fre3vo
./fre3vo
fre3vo by #teamwin
Please wait...
This device either does not support the fre3vo exploit, or this
account lacks permission to access the required devices.
An error has occured.

I was referring to this method:

Extract Fre3vo.zip
open a command prompt and type in:
adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug
* Now, you should get a debug trace showing us scanning regions. If it doesn't, game over.

We're going to run this with different start and stop addresses...
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 10000000 -end 1FFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 20000000 -end 2FFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 30000000 -end 3FFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start F0000000 -end FFFFFFFF
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start E0000000 -end EFFFFFFF

Don't be surprised if the scan hangs, or the device spontaneously reboots. This is normal when doing blind memory scans. Just reboot the device, and start with the next scan.

Source

Hope that'll work :)

FCW

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
has anyone managed to do this with 1.18.401.1? I have the recovery menu but I dont think superuser is compatable with it as it keeps force closing.

FCW

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
I think you need the one from the Desire Z/HD, they are specially patched for sense.

I think it was an issue with the new rom update. It looks like some new binaries have been released as it just started working. Now es file exploer, set cpu have access and busybox is installed. The handy thing is that it seems like a2sd is included in the rom as you can move everything over once installed. Now its time to play around.

adlx.xda

Feb 4, 2010
Madrid
I think it was an issue with the new rom update. It looks like some new binaries have been released as it just started working. Now es file exploer, set cpu have access and busybox is installed. The handy thing is that it seems like a2sd is included in the rom as you can move everything over once installed. Now its time to play around.

Can u make a nandroid backup of the 1.18 from the recovery and post it (except data.img)?

FCW

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
Can u make a nandroid backup of the 1.18 from the recovery and post it (except data.img)?

I think thats what geek78 has already done here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1120102.

No point me uploading something thats already there. If that's not what you need then I can upload mine. It may even be different as I got it as stock on a handset HTC gave me for winning a quiz at work just before its official release. Its handy working for the biggest operator in the country :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Turn off the phone

(12) Once flashed sucessfully, press "
    If Superuser crashes:
    I. Reboot. If it still crashes, then
    II.
    (1) Delete Superuser's update and clear data.
    (2) Reinstall update.
    (3) Enable 'Auto-rotate screen' on the Display settings.
    (4) Change the screen to the portrait mode.
    (5) Run Superuser and allow permission to update its own.

Solution taken from "1.18.405.1 OTA update" topic. Thanks to osahiro and to qbert456

Turn off the phone

(12) Once flashed sucessfully, press "<x] DEL" to get back to the main menu, and select "Reboot" to reboot your phone

That's it, the phone is rooted :).

You can try for example Android Terminal Emulator, and type "su", Superuser will popup, give access and you should be root.

Credits:
    - Mikevhl for porting CWM recovery to Chacha
    - ChainsDD for Superuser

Title updated ;). Credit is urs for bringing us the recovery!

Thanks

Kernel attacks, though I assume I am the most experienced developer for the chacha, or at least no one else came up with anything. And I lack that knowledge. So don't count on s-off coming from anyone else than HTC. Though no one tried the temproot exploit from the evo3d yet..