• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Safely set your bootloader back to "LOCKED" from "UNLOCKED" or "RELOCKED"

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
[GUIDE] Safely set your bootloader back to "LOCKED" from "UNLOCKED" or "RELOCKED"

*EDIT*
A percent of those that went S-OFF/LOCKED with SunShine 3.3.8 will have kernel flashing issues. We addressed this in 3.3.9 (released May 28th 2016 5PM PST).

Either go back s-on/unlocked and redo sunshine (may throw an error, if it does lmk and i can fix on server) or go s-off unlocked. This was one of those errors that only occurs on other people's phones, so it was a PITA to track down.
*EDIT*

HTC has made some changes into how the lock status are handled. The old methods are no longer safe, and can/will revert on you, or damage your device.

To deal with this we added a feature to SunShine to allow you to pick your bootloader status.

On the HTC 10 S-OFF LOCKED will behave the same as S-OFF UNLOCKED in addition to having all the S-OFF perks.

To get back LOCKED, make sure your phone is UNLOCKED and S-ON. Run SunShine, pick the "S-OFF LOCKED" Status, and let it complete.

At this point, if you want to go s-on, then you can flash your stock RUU and run "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" in download mode.

We currently recommend the S-OFF LOCKED status, as S-OFF will force the device to behave unlocked anyways.

xd4QBNR.jpg

zzwWzMm.jpg

Last edited:

wiQbold

Oct 29, 2008
If I debranded from tmobile germany to wwe (....401..), did I have to go back to tmob or is it ok to set it s-on in wwe?

that I can go back to s-off with my license, I know

Last edited:

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Does this work if one's already S-OFF/Unlocked?

First step would then be to set the secure flag to S-ON and run SunShine again, as I'd assume!? Am I right?

Thanks for taking your time and for your hard work on this great app.

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA Labs

darkenedpath

Sep 3, 2014
I forgot
What would we do without some sunshine in our life? Thanks guys, sooo glad you are around. It's worth every penny and more. Thank you !

Reactions: beaups

amq

Mar 11, 2013
I have a German t-mob101. Is it currently possible to go s-off debranded and then back to s-on locked t-mob101? Considering that there is no RUU for it, I would only have a nandroid backup.

bmwbasti

Apr 29, 2011
So when we have already "SunShined" the 10 to S-Off and unlocked we should simply lock the Bootloader with fastboot oem writesecureflag 3 and let SunShine do its job again?

Reactions: benny3

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
If I debranded from tmobile germany to wwe (....401..), did I have to go back to tmob or is it ok to set it s-on in wwe?

Long as you are stock, it shouldnt matter

First step would then be to set the secure flag to S-ON and run SunShine again, as I'd assume!? Am I right?

You have to go s-on before doing this. If you have no reason to go LOCKED, no reason to go through the hassle until you do.

@jcase with S-off & locked option, will I still have to format data in TWRP after I s-off like with previous version?

Yes

Damn, I just bought a license and set S-Off with version 3.3.6 8 hours ago :(

Doesnt matter, if you need LOCKED in the future, go s-on, and re-run sunshine, but wait until you need it.

I have a German t-mob101. Is it currently possible to go s-off debranded and then back to s-on locked t-mob101? Considering that there is no RUU for it, I would only have a nandroid backup.

Yes, go stock first.

So when we have already "SunShined" the 10 to S-Off and unlocked we should simply lock the Bootloader with fastboot oem writesecureflag 3 and let SunShine do its job again?

Yes but dont bother unless you need LOCKED, no point in going through the hassle at this point.

bmwbasti

Apr 29, 2011
Wow, thx for your reply jcase.
I've just read that the license ist bound to the hardware (think motherboard) and can be reused.
So "until you need it" apparently means in terms of warranty?
Or is there another reason where locked is really needed?

Kisakuku

Oct 31, 2011
Yes but don't bother unless you need LOCKED, no point in going through the hassle at this point.

Well, I got S-Off but haven't really done much with the phone yet, so RUU'ing, going back to S-On and re-running SunShine to set bootloader to LOCKED right now seems less of a hassle than doing it in the future when things need to be backed up.

However, I'm somewhat paranoid about going back to S-On. I remember than on M7 / M8 / M9 it was generally not recommended as there was at least a theoretical possibility that an RUU would not return the phone to a completely stock state and you'd get a hard brick on first boot. Is this no longer a concern?

Also, I seem to have a vague recollection that flashing an RUU zip from external was preferred to just running an executable RUU from a PC, as the latter might still skip some partitions under certain conditions. True / false?

Lastly, does this thread basically mean that the good old way of changing the LOCKED and TAMPERED / Software Status: Modified flags (M7 LOCKED, M8 LOCKED, M8 TAMPERED, M9 LOCKED, M9 SS:Modified) isn't safe on HTC 10? Also, does the SS:Modified flag even get triggered on HTC 10 when S-Off?

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
It is still not recommended to go s-on.

I would just stay s-off/unlocked for now no point

Well, I got S-Off but haven't really done much with the phone yet, so RUU'ing, going back to S-On and re-running SunShine to set bootloader to LOCKED right now seems less of a hassle than doing it in the future when things need to be backed up.

However, I'm somewhat paranoid about going back to S-On. I remember than on M7 / M8 / M9 it was generally not recommended as there was at least a theoretical possibility that an RUU would not return the phone to a completely stock state and you'd get a hard brick on first boot. Is this no longer a concern?

Also, I seem to have a vague recollection that flashing an RUU zip from external was preferred to just running an executable RUU from a PC, as the latter might still skip some partitions under certain conditions. True / false?

Lastly, does this thread basically mean that the good old way of changing the LOCKED and TAMPERED / Software Status: Modified flags (M7 LOCKED, M8 LOCKED, M8 TAMPERED, M9 LOCKED, M9 SS:Modified) isn't safe on HTC 10? Also, does the SS:Modified flag even get triggered on HTC 10 when S-Off?

Reactions: Riff76 and Kisakuku

Kisakuku

Oct 31, 2011

Gotcha. Well, I'm still within the return period, so if I were ever to go back to LOCKED, now seems to be the time.

Any comment on the preferred way to RUU (zip vs exe), the old way of flag resetting with adb echo and triggering of the Modified flag on HTC 10?

Reactions: nbelshaw

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
Gotcha. Well, I'm still within the return period, so if I were ever to go back to LOCKED, now seems to be the time.

Any comment on the preferred way to RUU (zip vs exe), the old way of flag resetting with adb echo and triggering of the Modified flag on HTC 10?

RUU will clear tamper flag. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended to not try to do that manually.

--beaups

Reactions: Kisakuku

Kisakuku

Oct 31, 2011
RUU will clear tamper flag. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended to not try to do that manually.

--beaups

Right, but are you advising against writing the tamper flag value as a general recommendation for all HTC One iterations or is that a new thing unique to HTC 10? Couple posts above I linked the M8 / M9 threads for doing exactly that, didn't seem to have any negative side effects.

My other question was regarding what actually triggers the tamper flag on the 10. I remember couple of weeks ago @Captain_Throwback was saying that it doesn't even get tripped when S-Off, again unlike the way it worked on M8 / M9.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Right, but are you advising against writing the tamper flag value as a general recommendation for all HTC One iterations or is that a new thing unique to HTC 10? Couple posts above I linked the M8 / M9 threads for doing exactly that, didn't seem to have any negative side effects.

My other question was regarding what actually triggers the tamper flag on the 10. I remember couple of weeks ago @Captain_Throwback was saying that it doesn't even get tripped when S-Off, again unlike the way it worked on M8 / M9.
S-OFF isn't what tripped that flag on those other devices either....it never has been. Which is why running an RUU clears it.

Kisakuku

Oct 31, 2011
S-OFF isn't what tripped that flag on those other devices either....it never has been. Which is why running an RUU clears it.

Guess I didn't word my interpretation of your statement unambiguously. I meant that I think you said that on the 10, after gaining S-OFF, nothing trips the tampered flag. This is unlike having S-OFF on M8 / M9, where the tampered flag could still be tripped after gaining S-OFF.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Guess I didn't word my interpretation of your statement unambiguously. I meant that I think you said that on the 10, after gaining S-OFF, nothing trips the tampered flag. This is unlike having S-OFF on M8 / M9, where the tampered flag could still be tripped after gaining S-OFF.
I couldn't trip that flag after S-OFF on those devices. You sure about that?

If it was tripped prior to S-OFF, I don't think S-OFF would clear it (though I'm not sure about that), but if it was official prior to S-OFF, it wouldn't get tripped afterwards, at least not in my experience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

*EDIT*
    A percent of those that went S-OFF/LOCKED with SunShine 3.3.8 will have kernel flashing issues. We addressed this in 3.3.9 (released May 28th 2016 5PM PST).

Either go back s-on/unlocked and redo sunshine (may throw an error, if it does lmk and i can fix on server) or go s-off unlocked. This was one of those errors that only occurs on other people's phones, so it was a PITA to track down.
    *EDIT*

HTC has made some changes into how the lock status are handled. The old methods are no longer safe, and can/will revert on you, or damage your device.

To deal with this we added a feature to SunShine to allow you to pick your bootloader status.

On the HTC 10 S-OFF LOCKED will behave the same as S-OFF UNLOCKED in addition to having all the S-OFF perks.

To get back LOCKED, make sure your phone is UNLOCKED and S-ON. Run SunShine, pick the "S-OFF LOCKED" Status, and let it complete.

At this point, if you want to go s-on, then you can flash your stock RUU and run "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" in download mode.

We currently recommend the S-OFF LOCKED status, as S-OFF will force the device to behave unlocked anyways.

xd4QBNR.jpg

zzwWzMm.jpg

Long as you are stock, it shouldnt matter

You have to go s-on before doing this. If you have no reason to go LOCKED, no reason to go through the hassle until you do.

@jcase with S-off & locked option, will I still have to format data in TWRP after I s-off like with previous version?

Yes

Damn, I just bought a license and set S-Off with version 3.3.6 8 hours ago :(

Doesnt matter, if you need LOCKED in the future, go s-on, and re-run sunshine, but wait until you need it.

Yes, go stock first.

Yes but dont bother unless you need LOCKED, no point in going through the hassle at this point.
    @jcase so in my case, im supercid and if i wanted to get the locked status would i need to first

(a) change my cid back to stock EVE__001 or to that which any ruu available like HTC__001 or can i stay supercid and go straight to point (b)?

(b) flash an ruu

(c) go s-on by running "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" in download mode

(d) run sunshine and pick locked status?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Labs

We are fixing a little bug in SunShine related to S-OFF with LOCKED status. Wait until we update SunShine to 3.3.9 please.

--beaups
    I'm having an issue, I'm s-off unlocked, if I wipe data in recovery and flash a rom either it bootloops back to pattern screen and then reboots, or I loose data . But if I format it will start up just fine, but if I go to recovery for anything it will come back with no data if it comes back, either way I have to go back and format once again . I s-offed yesterday with the latest. Does this have anything to do with the required pattern at start? Or should I reset and start over again?

***update***
    OK I went ahead and went back to s-on and unlocked, now all is good, can flash anything with a simple wipe, no format needed. Tried to re s-off and got error with some number to pass along to support. Not really sure if going s-off will help, but will still contact support.

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers mobile app

PM me and ill fix it, new version fixes teh kernel flashing issue as well