[GUIDE][SAMSUNG] Unlock Forgotten Private Mode PiN/Password/Pattern

Search This thread

Somaar

Jul 6, 2020

Personalfingerprintpassword.key is unfamiliar to me as I didn't have a samsung phone with fingerprint and I think you used fingerprint to unlock the Private mode.
You can have this file from any other s5 mini or similar.
For the language problem, I think you need root to get exact results as adb method is not tested by me or anyone else.

Well, I set up a fingerprint on the phone's lockscreen. However, I never used a fingerprint for the private mode. What I noticed that I can fill in more than 4 numbers.. I never used more because I didn't know before so it must be a 4 digit number.

It is my old phone and its rather frustrating to not be able to get my pictures back.
I think root is not working properly either since I am not able to see anything in /data/
Only after I use chmod 777 on the entire data folder and its siblings it shows up. It is also not working with the file browser on my phone. I am only able to do this via PC and ADB.

EDIT:
I am able to get in the /data/system/ on my phone when I type it in directly. When going to /data/ first it is empty.

Kartoshka01

Jul 21, 2020
adb push

Google it: "How to push files using adb". So, You just need to push your relevant file (i.e. PIN/Pattern/Password) to /data/system.

Hi, I have tried by pushind the file by usind adb to (/data/system ) but It did not work. should I do something rather than just push it to the location or it suppose to work by just putting the file there. I have a s7 edge with android 8.0 I can not root because it deletes all data.

Please if someone could help me

zubair1836

Feb 17, 2016
Gujranwala
Hi, I have tried by pushind the file by usind adb to (/data/system ) but It did not work. should I do something rather than just push it to the location or it suppose to work by just putting the file there. I have a s7 edge with android 8.0 I can not root because it deletes all data.

Please if someone could help me

You'll have to set permissions as well, using adb.
Permissions are in the steps of guide. I don't know what's the command to set them. Google it.

NiziNizi

Oct 4, 2020
OnePlus 6t, wrong password situation

Hi sir,

My OnePlus 6T device is showing wrong password although I know I am entering correct one :(:(:(. Is this instructions may work with my device without deleting data ? Your support is much appreciated.

zubair1836

Feb 17, 2016
Gujranwala
Hi sir,

My OnePlus 6T device is showing wrong password although I know I am entering correct one :(:(:(. Is this instructions may work with my device without deleting data ? Your support is much appreciated.

I don't think it'd work on OP 6T.
Try searching in OnePlus forum as I don't have much experience or a OnePlus phone.

sporefrog

Oct 20, 2020
HI and thanks for the guide!

I am unsuccessful in making it work. I've done all the steps. And when I go to setting it says private mode off and I cant move the dot to the right.
In the quick rolldown meny it says private mode is on but I can't see my private folder. I've tried unroot my galaxy s6 but still dosen't work. Before I had to wait 60 min to get a new chance to enter the pattern so I thought if I wait 60 min it might work but with the rooted device it didn't. Anybody who had the same problem? or got any Tips?

Thanks!

kamyarVarnous

Nov 12, 2020
wrong app

Well, I set up a fingerprint on the phone's lockscreen. However, I never used a fingerprint for the private mode. What I noticed that I can fill in more than 4 numbers.. I never used more because I didn't know before so it must be a 4 digit number.

It is my old phone and its rather frustrating to not be able to get my pictures back.
I think root is not working properly either since I am not able to see anything in /data/
Only after I use chmod 777 on the entire data folder and its siblings it shows up. It is also not working with the file browser on my phone. I am only able to do this via PC and ADB.

EDIT:
I am able to get in the /data/system/ on my phone when I type it in directly. When going to /data/ first it is empty.

you have to use root explorer with like icon with same train

Alison25

Jan 9, 2021
Hi sir,

I have the same problem. I forgot my private mode password on my Samsung C5. But the problem, my phone is not yet rooted. Then I can't see data/system. What can I do?

Trifion

Sep 25, 2018
Hello there!

I am here bringing good news, I have rooted my phone using TWRP and Magisk ( Android 7 ) no brick, no data wipe no anything, just don't have device encrypted. Yes, it still requires a rooted phone.

Anyway, to unlock your private mode on android 7 or above if this first method that was posted doesn't work you have to do what uLove said and wasn't quite understood.

1. Delete or move **better to move** ( to downloads folder for ex. as a backup) every single locksettings.db and gatekeeper.xxx.key files + the personalpassword/pin/pattern.key file if u have it from /data/system/ directory.

2. Get the pattern/password/pin file from the original method, then rename them as follows: gatekeeper.password/pattern/pin.key ( you rename it for what you have, in my case I had a password so it will be:
gatekeeper.password.key )

3. Copy the renamed file to /data/system/ using ES File Explorer or anything similar ( dont use Amaze explorer its crap)

4. Reboot your device, when it opens you might not have a lock on your phone anymore, don't worry you can set another after u unlock the private mode, force close gallery and wait 60 minutes to enter your pin/pass/pattern if u have a cooldown, if u dont proceed anyway.

5. Done enjoy.

Note: The password/pin/pattern are the same from the original method

Last edited:

zubair1836

Feb 17, 2016
Gujranwala
Hello there!

I am here bringing good news, I have rooted my phone using TWRP and Magisk ( Android 7 ) no brick, no data wipe no anything, just don't have device encrypted. Yes, it still requires a rooted phone.

Anyway, to unlock your private mode on android 7 or above if this first method that was posted doesn't work you have to do what uLove said and wasn't quite understood.

1. Delete or move ( to downloads folder for ex. as a backup) every single locksettings.db and gatekeeper.xxx.key files + the personalpassword/pin/pattern.key file if u have it from /data/system/ directory.

2. Get the pattern/password/pin file from the original method, then rename them as follows: gatekeeper.password/pattern/pin.key ( you rename it for what you have, in my case I had a password so it will be:
gatekeeper.password.key )

3. Copy the renamed file to /data/system/ using ES File Explorer or anything similar ( dont use Amaze explorer its crap)

4. Reboot your device, when it opens you might not have a lock on your phone anymore, don't worry you can set another after u unlock the private mode, force close gallery and wait 60 minutes to enter your pin/pass/pattern if u have a cooldown, if u dont proceed anyway.

5. Done enjoy.

Note: The password/pin/pattern are the same from the original method
Thanks a lot for reporting and trying more.
I'll add this to OP when free.

Reactions: Trifion

evilparadox

Jul 16, 2017

Personalfingerprintpassword.key is unfamiliar to me as I didn't have a samsung phone with fingerprint and I think you used fingerprint to unlock the Private mode.
You can have this file from any other s5 mini or similar.
For the language problem, I think you need root to get exact results as adb method is not tested by me or anyone else.
Hello. Not sure if this page still active but i need your help. Im on s7edge.android 8.0 custom rom with magisk installed. Was using the private mode totally ok years ago bt the phone have been sitting in storage. Now i need somefiles from it but cant remember the pattern anymore. I followed all the steps including the last step given by another user. After reboot. Im unable to click on the private mode toggle bar. Please help its urgent

zubair1836

Feb 17, 2016
Gujranwala
Hello. Not sure if this page still active but i need your help. Im on s7edge.android 8.0 custom rom with magisk installed. Was using the private mode totally ok years ago bt the phone have been sitting in storage. Now i need somefiles from it but cant remember the pattern anymore. I followed all the steps including the last step given by another user. After reboot. Im unable to click on the private mode toggle bar. Please help its urgent
Yes, the page is active but I don't really know what's happening pn your phone in the backend.
Maybe try repeating the steps?

Reactions: evilparadox

evilparadox

Jul 16, 2017
Yes, the page is active but I don't really know what's happening pn your phone in the backend.
Maybe try repeating the steps?
I have tried the process over 10 times. When i restore the original pattern.key file. It functions normally bt i cant remember the pattern. But the moment i replace the pattern. Key file with the one in the tutorial and make a reboot. Im unable to toggle on the private mode

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528-022414_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528-022414_Settings.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 11

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello xda,
    Today I'll guide you how to Unlock/Recover your data in private mode if you forgot it's authentication.
    Before proceeding: I'm not responsible for any damage to your device or data.

Pre-Requirements:
    1. Rooted Device (If you have enough knowledge of adb, you may go with adb instead of root)
    2. Root Explorer installed.

Let's Get Started:
    1. In your Device, when you try to turn on 'Private Mode' , What does it ask for?
    a. If it asks for pattern , Download this file
    b. If it asks for PIN (Only numeric keys shown), Download this file
    c. If it asks for Password, Download this file
    If you are not sure what to download, download all 3 files given above.

2. Copy the downloaded file(s) to your phone.
    3. Open 'Root Explorer' , Navigate to data/system/
    4. Copy the file(s) downloaded from above in this directory (data/system/) , If it asks, Tap 'Replace'
    5. Long Press the file you just pasted here, Tap 'Permissions' Check only 'Read' and 'Write' of Owner. So that it looks like this:
    Screenshot_2018-03-03-07-47-48.png
    Tap 'Ok'.
    6. Reboot Device.
    7. Un-Root your phone. [This is not compulsory but some phones cause problems if you don't unroot]. Thanks to iderayoub for useful point.

8. When it reboots, try to turn on 'Private Mode', Enter PIN: 1234 / Password: xda123 , Pattern: See this Image
    Now, you may change the PIN/Password/Pattern anytime
    ;)
    ___________________ [Try to Smash the Thanks Button Below :fingers-crossed:]
    It works!
    For reference, the contents of that /data/system/personalpin.key file should be:
    FA6C0E1B2B0581C2F359B8923F2FA7164B21CC7E

I had to really reboot and close Gallery before my "Private" Album came back, but it eventually did.
    Thanks!
    I rooted with Odin and followed all the steps of this post successfully. (My private mode is locked with screen pattern).

However, after re-booting my phone, when I try to turn on(enter) private mode, the private mode cannot be turned on(entered). (when I move the toggle bar to right, the toggle bar doesn't stay at right and immediately return back to left......)

Now I'm really frustrated because important content inside private mode might be lost forever......

Can you kindly, heartfully advise me what, how to do with this situation.....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mHjnPoel4c

This dr.fone for Android can help to unlock Samsung lock screen if you forgot it. Also it can help to recover lost or deleted files from Samsung Galaxy phones.
    I rooted with Odin and followed all the steps of this post successfully. (My private mode is locked with screen pattern).

However, after re-booting my phone, when I try to turn on(enter) private mode, the private mode cannot be turned on(entered). (when I move the toggle bar to right, the toggle bar doesn't stay at right and immediately return back to left......)

Now I'm really frustrated because important content inside private mode might be lost forever......

Can you kindly, heartfully advise me what, how to do with this situation.....?

Thank you !

Hi there!

I just tried this and had the same problem as you.

I looked on other forums and found out that Private Mode can malfunction when the device is rooted.
    What I did was that I rooted my phone (Galaxy S6 Edge G925F), copied the personalpattern.key file to /data/system, then full unrooted my phone with SU.
    Phone rebooted, tried the given pattern, and IT WORKED!

I hope it will work for you too.

Thank you so much dear Zubair1836 for this! It has been more than 6 months since I am trying to access my files in the folder!

You deserve a palace in heaven!
    Thanks, but does it work with a locked bootloader? if not, does unlocking it wipe it (via odin, i guess? I only flashed on oneplus devices up until now)? Sorry to ask so many things, but the files i stored there were important (pictures of someone who passed away) and of course without a backup because i am an idiot.

Well, We are both in same position. I've not tested this method on samsung devices later than Lollipop. So, Maybe google it?