[Guide] Sellers/Carriers with bootloader unlockable Pixel 4 XL phones

Search This thread

StrangerWeather

Recognized Contributor
Jul 18, 2012
Oxford
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've been thinking of making this list for people who will be buying a Pixel 4 XL in future. It might come in handy to decide where to buy your phone from.
Please post in the thread what your seller/carrier did and I will update the list.

Note: You can buy a bootloader unlockable Pixel 4 XL directly from the Google Store.

UK greyed out OEM
EE

UK unlockable bootloader
Vodafone

US greyed out OEM
Verizon? (conflicting reports)
AT&T
TMobile

US unlockable bootloader
Best Buy

Last edited:

the.emilio

I've been thinking of making this list for people who will be buying a Pixel 4 XL in future. It might come in handy to decide where to buy your phone from.
Please post in the thread what your seller/carrier did and I will update the list.

Note: You can buy an unblocked Pixel 4 XL directly from the Google Store.

UK blocked OEM
EE

UK unblocked OEM

US blocked OEM
AT&T

US unblocked OEM
Best Buy

TMobile variant is locked

XtraArrow

Oct 17, 2016

UK blocked OEM
EE

UK unblocked OEM

US blocked OEM
AT&T

US unblocked OEM
Best Buy

UK Vodafone is unblocked.

StrangerWeather

Recognized Contributor
Jul 18, 2012
Oxford
Google Pixel 7 Pro
To be more clear I think you need to refer to it as Bootloader Unlock as OEM has no relation to that at all.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer btw

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hmm, not too sure. It's not that the phones come with an unlocked bootloader, you still have to unlock it. But they are either OEM unlockable or not... Any other suggestions to make it clearer?

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
Hmm, not too sure. It's not that the phones come with an unlocked bootloader, you still have to unlock it. But they are either OEM unlockable or not... Any other suggestions to make it clearer?
Well yeah none of them come with an unlocked bootloader. But your wording wasn't wrong to begin with, I just felt that referring to as bootloader unlockable is a more friendly way to put it especially for the noobs out there.

Reactions: StrangerWeather

mushtafa

Aug 19, 2011
West Sussex, UK
Bit of thread bump, but thanks!

Been searching everywhere to find out if Vodafone UK is un-lockable. Has anyone bought one recently to confirm they're still OK?

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
The Tmo variant can be unlocked after the sim lock is removed. I think it goes without saying for most that Fi and Google offer unlcockable versions but as this is for new guys it might be worth noting.

nagrom-z

Apr 7, 2019

Note: You can buy a bootloader unlockable Pixel 4 XL directly from the Google Store.

UK greyed out OEM
EE

UK unlockable bootloader
Vodafone

US greyed out OEM
AT&T
TMobile

US unlockable bootloader
Best Buy

U.S. Cellular is unlocked for Pixel 4, would assume xl as well

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Except for the Verizon model, all of the other US variants can be bootloader (OEM) unlocked when they are SIM card unlocked. However the SIM card being unlocked is a requirement to having the bootloader unlocked. If you purchase a device through a US service provider, it will generally have the SIM card locked down and you must request a SIM card unlock from your service provider. The "unlocked" version sold by Google (and Best Buy) comes with the SIM card unlocked already. Therefore it can immediately have it's bootloader unlocked.

Verizon variants will never be able to be bootloader unlocked - even if you are able to get Verizon to unlock the SIM card. (People who are successful in bootloader unlocking a Verizon model are the exception to the rule and simply got lucky - normally due to a MEID snafu).

This is the same across the entire Google Pixel line.

Last edited:

ibphantom

Dec 16, 2012
Niles

UK greyed out OEM
EE

UK unlockable bootloader
Vodafone

US greyed out OEM
AT&T
TMobile

US unlockable bootloader
Best Buy

I think Verizon is locked if you buy it from them. I bought mine through the Google store with Verizon as a "3rd party" and I got an unlockable XL

xavier55

I called t mobile today told them I'm a developer and they gave me a permanent unlock for my phone for the OEM so I can't complain but call them, whoever's your provider and tell them you're a developer and you're trying to access the Android 11 operating system and because it's a Google phone they bound to unlock your phone. And my phone ain't fully paid off from T-Mobile so I'm good I'm happy with the results and right now I'm using Android 11 and this bad boy for preview is beautiful

Last edited:

moyses

Dec 6, 2013
Hello everyone

Any news on Pixel 4XL EE UK to unlock the bootloader after 6 months of use???

DucatiMon

Jul 17, 2011
San Diego
I'm on a Verizon variant which I purchased directly from Verizon. Initially I was unable to unlock my bootloader same as everyone else. However, I was recently in developmer options and noticed OEM unlocking was no longer greyed out (I was running Android 11 with Octobers update). I Didn't believe my eyes for a second and immediately toggled it on and got to work. Within a few minutes I was unlocked and rooted. Not sure if they messed up on the 11 update or if it was a mistake from one of the updates. I hadn't checked for a while previous to my discovery so I can't pin down the exact trigger.

Feb 11, 2012
Once you either fully payoff the device or get permission through your carrier then the carrier sends it over to Google's server which generates your unlock code then is sent to pixel 4xl as a update which will then unlock your sim. Once your sim unlocked it will allow you to highlight unlock bootloader. This is for tmobile,att, and sprint. Verizon variants however is an exception. You can get sim unlock, but will not highlight the unlock bootloader. Once in a while somebody gets lucky, but does not happen alot. Even tho it is a Google phone the carrier can still make the choice for the bootloader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UK greyed out OEM
    EE

UK unlockable bootloader
    Vodafone

US greyed out OEM
    AT&T
    TMobile

US unlockable bootloader
    Best Buy

UK blocked OEM
    EE

UK unblocked OEM

US blocked OEM
    AT&T

US unblocked OEM
    Best Buy

TMobile variant is locked

UK blocked OEM
    EE

UK unblocked OEM

US blocked OEM
    AT&T

US unblocked OEM
    Best Buy

UK Vodafone is unblocked.
    To be more clear I think you need to refer to it as Bootloader Unlock as OEM has no relation to that at all.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer btw

Well yeah none of them come with an unlocked bootloader. But your wording wasn't wrong to begin with, I just felt that referring to as bootloader unlockable is a more friendly way to put it especially for the noobs out there.