[GUIDE] Setting up ADB and fastboot on an x86_64 Chromebook

Search This thread

Zedelot

Jan 1, 2017
So I don't understand why it sees my device in fastboot but doesn't find it when doing the flash-all.sh the only thing that seems to work for me is booting any .img but doesn't work if I try to flash.... Any help?

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
So I don't understand why it sees my device in fastboot but doesn't find it when doing the flash-all.sh the only thing that seems to work for me is booting any .img but doesn't work if I try to flash.... Any help?

Can you use the command
Code:
./flash-all.sh
instead of the
Code:
bash flash-all.sh
that you are trying to use?

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

ItachiLvrX

Oct 23, 2012
I can't seem to figure out github, i've always had problems with it. I know all about ADB and such, used it quite a lot, but I can't find a file to download from github. Any help? What do I need to click on?

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
THANK YOU!!! I followed the easy steps and got it working on my PixelBook running Canary 72 w/Dev mode on... I attached an image to show it working and I confirmed it persists through reboots of both devices...

Q: Does anyone know how to get Android Studio on the PixelBook to now recognize ADB?

Reactions: nathanchance

Ducter

Jan 10, 2009
After some researching, I'm more confused. I have an arm based chromebook and have read where people get adb and fastboot working but everything I have read has been older, version 1.02 of adb iirc. Has anyone with an arm based chromebook gotten adb and fastboot working properly? If so, a quick how to would be appreciated. Thanks

heres one such example but I fear it too old now.

Last edited:

jaxenroth

Apr 28, 2011
Langhorne, PA
Hey, looking for some help. 2 issues, Have this guide properly set up adb/fastboot both working also have linxu beta set up w/ adb/fastboot working on my Acer Chromebook flip 15.
1st question is if using this guide, where do i place my unzipped google factory image so I can run the commands to flash it, I cant find where chromebooks local files are stored.
2nd question is if using the linux beta terminal I have my factory image in my linux / platform-tools folder I can individually flash something e.g. fastboot flash radio radio.img but I cant do the ./flash-all.sh Ive made the file executable but after the command nothing happens, no error codes, nothing. Just hangs. Thx.

airtower

Sep 9, 2010
Arlington, TX
Google Pixel 6
Thanks so much for this @nathanchance! I recently retired my old phone and found myself needing adb/fastboot for the first time in 4 years. I don't own a personal windows device, so this was a lifesaver.

While it worked smoothly to unlock my new bootloader and flash some smaller images, I was unable to flash a large (~2.2gb) device image last week. I don't have the verbose output as I was able to resolve the issue with a borrowed windows PC, but the error was related to disk space on the local device. Being that I had just powerwashed it to enable dev mode, I had the full 16gb of device storage available minus the space taken by the OS and a handful of small apps...seems like plenty of space should have been available.

Question - when running adb or fastboot in shell like this, is there some kind of sandboxed environment that presents a reduced disk space? The image was being flashed directly from the user's Downloads folder FWIW.

Reactions: galaxys

airtower

Sep 9, 2010
Arlington, TX
Google Pixel 6
Update to above in case anyone's watching: the exact error is

extracting product.img (2668 MB) to disk...ziparchive W 03-21 17:28:03 30314 30314] Zip: unable to allocate 2798404236 bytes at offset 0: No space left on device fastboot: error:

fastboot was being run from the ~home/downloads folder where the system image was located

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone!

I know that one of the biggest barriers for completely ditching my MacBook Pro for my Pixelbook was the ability to use ADB and fastboot (upgrading Android versions, flashing TWRP, factory resetting). ADB and fastboot are installed on later versions of Chrome OS; unfortunately, these versions are too old for devices like the Pixel 2 (XL) and there isn't a ton of information on how to get them updated and working properly.

As such, I created an installation script that will push the latest versions of the platform tools to the local binary directory and install a small wrapper script so you can use the commands as you normally would. The scripts should be fairly easy to read if you have a basic understanding of the command line, I have commented them so it's clear what is going on.

The installation script can be used to install the tools for the first time as well as upgrading to newer version as they come out. The changelog for each version can be found here.

Please see the README for the full instructions and let me know if you have any questions, enjoy!
    On Chrome OS Canary version 69 on an ARM CPU, ADB and Fastboot are both installed by default. :)
    Can you use the command
    Code:
    ./flash-all.sh
    instead of the
    Code:
    bash flash-all.sh
    that you are trying to use?

I actually got a reply from the dev who posted the guide. It's actually
    Code:
    source ./flash-all.sh
    for it to work. Now I know but thanks!
    I don't think I understand "Crouton wasn't really an option". Crouton is a simple script that installs various versions of Linux desktops that run alongside Chrome in a chroot. Probably any Chromebook made can install Crouton. The only thing required is to be in developer mode, which you are. I choose to run my sessions in a tab but it can be a separate window. Not much you can't install and run in these sessions.

Would help if I actually did proper research into Crouton :silly:thanks for the clarification, I'll have to check it out soon
    fastboot doesn't report version but adb is 1.32 which is old. I don't know how recent adb was added to Chrome OS but I am sure I have used them in the past. I have lived in Canary for the last 2 years so I have no idea whether it was a Canary thing or widely available within developer mode.
    Another option since you are in developer mode is Crouton and install a fullish version of Linux. adb does work within a Crouton session. Even if I was to update the version installed in Chrome OS, I would need to reinstall it every day since Canary is updated daily and sometimes two or three times a day. Even stable can be updated mid-cycle so you could get caught with the outdated one at an inopportune time.

For me personally, I bought a Chromebook for Chrome OS, not the hardware, so Crouton wasn't really an option.

You don't need to reinstall these as they are in /usr/local/bin so they're not touched during a Chrome OS upgrade.