[Guide] Shorten WiMAX (4G) Reconnection Time After a Loss of Signal

Search This thread

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
Originally posted for the HTC EVO 4G WiMAX connection issues: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726877

Requirements:
Your MSL code (See Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697487)

Instructions:
Turn OFF your 4G radio if it is turned on!
1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Click on the menu entry "WiMAX"
5) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
6) Enter the number 15 and click "OK" (This equals 15 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
7) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"
8) Enter the number 0 and click "OK" (This equals 0 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
9) Press the "Menu" key and click on "Commit Modifications"
10) Grab a cup of coffee, get a bite to eat, or sit back and wait for your EVO to restart

Result:
After modifying the settings for WiMAX, the phone will reconnect to the 4G tower in as little as 20 seconds after being disconnected!
This is a HUGE improvement over the 5+ minutes to reconnect if a loss of signal occurs (300+ seconds).

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
Also, leaving WiMAX (4G) turned on all the time, will normally drain your battery quite fast. After making the change above, it will cause your battery usage to increase because the phone will be checking for service much more often.

Remedy: Turn 4G off when you are not using it.

Reactions: kvnbrkbl

guyandhisdog

Feb 22, 2011
Chicago, IL
You can also have it connect with a weaker signal by lowering the Entry_RX to ~ -100-95db and the Entry CINR to 2. Lowering the Exit CNR and increasing the Delay will also make it wait longer before falling back to 3G.

I could only have entry CINR entry values at 4-10 (wouldn't take 2). Also (nit picky) Max values were 120 vs 300.
Thanks y'all for the mods. I changed everything else.

...adjusting to life without the trackball

mozman

May 16, 2010
New Jersey
Can someone post what the factory setting are for the
"WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
"WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"

In case I want to go back. Thanks

chrisduclo

Jun 4, 2010
Stockton, California
Can I get default settings for Wimax. Tried the changes but must have changed something unknowingly. Not sure what to change back without defaults listed.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

thethirdmurph

Jan 3, 2009
mine has been sitting for almost an hour saying "committing change". I tried rebooting 5 times it hasn't made a difference. All my numbers are staying in the settings but it doesn't seem to make any difference and it won't stop saying committing to change

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I am reflashing a friends evo right now. Same problem with that message hanging. I had it hang when doing a hard reset ##786. However I just let it sit a min, then rebooted the phone and it did reactivate itself and also saved the adjusted wimax settings. I was using mikG rom so could be an issue with that rom maybe.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Originally posted for the HTC EVO 4G WiMAX connection issues: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726877

Requirements:
    Your MSL code (See Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697487)

Instructions:
    Turn OFF your 4G radio if it is turned on!
    1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
    2) Click on "Edit Mode"
    3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
    4) Click on the menu entry "WiMAX"
    5) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
    6) Enter the number 15 and click "OK" (This equals 15 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
    7) Scroll down the list and click on "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"
    8) Enter the number 0 and click "OK" (This equals 0 seconds instead of 300 seconds)
    9) Press the "Menu" key and click on "Commit Modifications"
    10) Grab a cup of coffee, get a bite to eat, or sit back and wait for your EVO to restart

Result:
    After modifying the settings for WiMAX, the phone will reconnect to the 4G tower in as little as 20 seconds after being disconnected!
    This is a HUGE improvement over the 5+ minutes to reconnect if a loss of signal occurs (300+ seconds).
    You can also have it connect with a weaker signal by lowering the Entry_RX to ~ -100-95db and the Entry CINR to 2. Lowering the Exit CNR and increasing the Delay will also make it wait longer before falling back to 3G.
    Can someone post what the factory setting are for the
    "WiMAX_Scan_Retry(s)"
    "WiMAX_Entry_Delay(s)"

In case I want to go back. Thanks

Scan = 120
    Entry = 300
    Also, leaving WiMAX (4G) turned on all the time, will normally drain your battery quite fast. After making the change above, it will cause your battery usage to increase because the phone will be checking for service much more often.

Remedy: Turn 4G off when you are not using it.