[Guide]Simple Guide for Installing Recovery *ICS OTA Update Compatible*

Search This thread

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
edit: Removed CWM Recovery since it only causes problems

This isn't a thread that is going to help you unlock your bootloader. This is what to do next, once you are unlocked. Downloads mentioned in this thread are attached. I really haven't seen a consolidated place to find this info. Hopefully this fixes that. I and nobody else are responsible for any bricks that might occur. (They shouldn't, as we aren't flashing anything "critical" to the system that can't be recovered)

How to install custom recovery.

There are 2 methods that currently work to install recovery. I will only discuss one because it is the easier one for noobs. If you know how to install it via fastboot, go ahead. You probably are above this thread knowledge wise.

Recovery Installation Method: The PH98IMG.zip
This method uses a file called PH98IMG.zip to install the custom recovery. This is the simplest and doesn't require knowledge of fastboot, adb, and doesn't need a computer.

1) Download the PH98IMGICSNEWOTA.zip of the recovery. Rename it to PH98IMG.zip
2) Connect your phone to your PC (if you downloaded the PH98IMG.zip directly from your phone's browser, use a file manager to duplicate these steps)
3) Enable USB Mass Storage (as if you wanted to copy a file to the memory card).
4) Copy the PH98IMG.zip to the root (not in any folders) of the external SD card. NOT the HTC Storage. This is extremely important. It should not be in ANY folders.
5) Disconnect the phone from the computer and shut the phone down.
6) Pull your phone's battery. It should not have the USB cable in it either.
7) Put the battery back in. Press and hold the volume down button and then press the power button. You should get taken to a white screen. This is HBOOT.
8) Some green text should scroll on the screen. At the bottom, it will prompt you if you would like to install the update. Press the button associated with YES. It is most likely volume up, but I cannot remember off the top of my head for sure.
9)When it finishes, it will ask you to press power to reboot. Do this. If you have no signal after booting, it is most likely because you forgot to put the battery door back on, as the antennas are in the door.
10) Delete the PH98IMG.zip from your memory card, or else you will not be able to get into recovery.
11) Custom recovery is installed.

How to access custom recovery.
1) Power down your phone and pull the battery. It should not be connected to a computer.
2) Press and hold volume down and power to get to HBOOT.
3) Use the volume buttons to scroll to recovery, then press the power button.
4) The HTC screen will flash briefly and you will be taken to recovery. You navigate with the power button and the volume buttons.

I highly recommend running a nandroid backup after this. This can be done in either recovery via the backup and restore sections. Google this if you don't know how. I figure most of you have used custom recovery before, so I won't go into it here.

Old Rooting Method(No longer works with ICS):

How to root (Permanently).
This rooting method again doesn't explicitly require a PC and is permanent until you actively remove it.

1) Flash AmonRa Recovery.
2) Boot into AmonRa Recovery.
3) Scroll to and enter the Developer menu.
4) Scroll to install Su. DO NOT INSTALL THE ENG (Unguarded) one. Use the other one.
5) Confirm this, when it is finished, go ahead and reboot. You should be rooted.

MD5 of zip file: 44F953437806FA3261F310CCF3B2DECC

Attachments

• PH98IMGICSNEWOTA.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 1,445
Last edited:

Sleek69

Mar 26, 2011
Great guide tought I wish it was up a day ago. Took me half an hour to figure this out myself. >.<

Scott

There are a couple things to consider here. First, you currently have your choice of 2 recoveries: ClockworkMod (CWM) or AmonRa. These two recoveries are very similar in function. I prefer CWM, but that is just me. We will use AmonRa in the rooting section of this post but you can ignore that for now.The installation for either of these is the same and there are 2 methods that currently work for both of them. I will only discuss one because it is the easier one for noobs. If you know how to install it via fastboot, go ahead. You probably are above this thread knowledge wise.

This method uses a file called PH98IMG.zip to install the custom recovery. This is the simplest and doesn't require knowledge of fastboot, adb, and doesn't need a computer.

1) Download the PH98IMG.zip of the recovery of your choice. I have them named with the type of recovery in front of it so you know which one to download. For example, CWMPH98IMG.zip is the PH98IMG.zip of CWM recovery. Just rename it to PH98IMG.zip
2) Connect your phone to your PC (if you downloaded the PH98IMG.zip directly from your phone's browser, use a file manager to duplicate these steps)
3) Enable USB Mass Storage (as if you wanted to copy a file to the memory card).
4) Copy the PH98IMG.zip to the root (not in any folders) of the external SD card. NOT the HTC Storage. This is extremely important. It should not be in ANY folders.
7) Put the battery back in. Press and hold the volume down button and then press the power button. You should get taken to a white screen. This is HBOOT.
8) Some green text should scroll on the screen. At the bottom, it will prompt you if you would like to install the update. Press the button associated with YES. It is most likely volume up, but I cannot remember off the top of my head for sure.
9)When it finishes, it will ask you to press power to reboot. Do this. If you have no signal after booting, it is most likely because you forgot to put the battery door back on, as the antennas are in the door.
10) Delete the PH98IMG.zip from your memory card, or else you will not be able to get into recovery.

Are you sure this method of recovery installation works for S-ON?

zonbal33

Sep 30, 2009
I got to step 8, some green text started scrolling, too fast to read. at the end all i caught was "parsing PH98IMG.zip" and it ended. im still on the hboot screen, it didnt ask me to restart or anything? I have HTC STORAGE (L:) and Removable Disk (M:). I put the PH98IMG.zip in M which I'm assuming is my SDcard. I dont know what I did wrong.

Stupid ?. I though you need to have root before you could flash a recovery?

Last edited:

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
try the CWM zip. I think I have an idea of what the issue is. If it wants you to install the CWM zip, there is a problem with the Amonra zip file

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Ok your right. My bad, I am thinking of boot.img.

Been up way too many hours this past couple days!

boot.img should work too. I think the zips don't work due to a difference in the android-info.txt. If bal1985 can install CWM then that is the issue. People have been able to install ziggy's kernel via the boot image I packed with a PH zip

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
Looks like we were having roughly the same thought at about the same time because your post didn't exist when I started mine :)

At least nobody should have problems getting up and running now between both our guides.

zonbal33

Sep 30, 2009
try the CWM zip. I think I have an idea of what the issue is. If it wants you to install the CWM zip, there is a problem with the Amonra zip file

cwm zip worked, it asked me to restart. ill try to get into recovery now. any clue why amonra didnt work? i heard the cwm doesnt properly make backups right now, giving a lot of ppl trouble...

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

oh lol i forgot how do i root now since you have me on cwm and not the other?

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I now know why. New AmonRa zip incoming.

edit try the one attached here

Attachments

• AmonRaPH98IMG.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 475
Last edited:

zonbal33

Sep 30, 2009
In my post right above yours I attached a new one. Try flashing that over CWM. It should work.

i just followed steps 1-11 and it worked, said something about "fat erased" lol and it asked me to restart. should i be able to get into recovery now and root? just continue your steps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    edit: Removed CWM Recovery since it only causes problems

This isn't a thread that is going to help you unlock your bootloader. This is what to do next, once you are unlocked. Downloads mentioned in this thread are attached. I really haven't seen a consolidated place to find this info. Hopefully this fixes that. I and nobody else are responsible for any bricks that might occur. (They shouldn't, as we aren't flashing anything "critical" to the system that can't be recovered)

There are 2 methods that currently work to install recovery. I will only discuss one because it is the easier one for noobs. If you know how to install it via fastboot, go ahead. You probably are above this thread knowledge wise.

1) Download the PH98IMGICSNEWOTA.zip of the recovery. Rename it to PH98IMG.zip

How to access custom recovery.
    1) Power down your phone and pull the battery. It should not be connected to a computer.
    2) Press and hold volume down and power to get to HBOOT.
    3) Use the volume buttons to scroll to recovery, then press the power button.
    4) The HTC screen will flash briefly and you will be taken to recovery. You navigate with the power button and the volume buttons.

I highly recommend running a nandroid backup after this. This can be done in either recovery via the backup and restore sections. Google this if you don't know how. I figure most of you have used custom recovery before, so I won't go into it here.

Old Rooting Method(No longer works with ICS):

How to root (Permanently).
    This rooting method again doesn't explicitly require a PC and is permanent until you actively remove it.

1) Flash AmonRa Recovery.
    2) Boot into AmonRa Recovery.
    3) Scroll to and enter the Developer menu.
    4) Scroll to install Su. DO NOT INSTALL THE ENG (Unguarded) one. Use the other one.
    5) Confirm this, when it is finished, go ahead and reboot. You should be rooted.

MD5 of zip file: 44F953437806FA3261F310CCF3B2DECC
    Great guide tought I wish it was up a day ago. Took me half an hour to figure this out myself. >.<

Better late than never I guess.
    i just followed steps 1-11 and it worked, said something about "fat erased" lol and it asked me to restart. should i be able to get into recovery now and root? just continue your steps?

continue. Let me know if you can boot into amonra
    i was able to boot and flash into amon ra, i was able to flash su. just check my app drawer, su is in there, guessing im now rooted :) thx buddy! good job.

its been a while since i've rooted. can i make backups with amonra? or do you recommend i follow steps 1-11 again, flash CWR and then make a backup?

thx again for the help.

CWM backups have actually been a hit or miss for people. I have been using amonra for the time being even though I prefer CWM. The root function in amonra is much simpler than that simple root tool right?
    Yes this was simplier to root. that one click method wouldnt work.

one problem. im in amon ra again trying to make a back up. i clicked on "nand backup" and I get this:

Just press power to continue. It is just warning you. You will want to backup everything except recovery and sd_ext