[GUIDE] Skipping KG STATE prenormal on OneUI (Android Pie 9.0)

Search This thread

jameskunst

Oct 21, 2016
Hello, XDA Community.​

Since the release of the last major update, Android Pie 9.0/OneUI, as soon as we trigger an update to the bootloader while we are running unofficial binaries, like TWRP and custom ROMs, a message pops up on boot splash when we perform a simple reboot:

"Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed"

This message shows up when we have KG State Prenormal (you can check KG State by entering download mode).

Before the Pie update, we were able to skip RMM State Prenormal by setting system date for 7 days before current date, then triggering a "check for system update", then setting back to current date. However, this doesn't work on the new Pie bootloader, which is why I am writing this guide, as I got caught many times into this damn state :rolleyes:

The workaround I've found is downgrading bootloader from Pie to Oreo, but, as we know, after flashing Pie bootloader, we are not able to downgrade it to Oreo using Odin, however it's possible forcing the downgrade using Heimdall on Ubuntu.

REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ubuntu 16.04+
2. Heimdall (install it through Ubuntu terminal)
sudo apt install heimdall-flash
3. 'cm.bin' + 'modem.bin' + 'sboot.bin' files from Oreo firmware (you can get them by extracting BL and CP .tar files from the official stock firmware zip - download them on SamFirm, SamMobile or updato.com)
4. Internet connection (important - needed to download PIT file)
5. Attention while typing the commands

GUIDE:
1. Boot your phone into download mode (Power + Vol (-) + Bixby, then Vol (+) to enter download mode)
2. Place cm.bin + modem.bin + sboot.bin into your Ubuntu user folder (/home/username/) - check attachment
3. Open terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T)
4. Type the following command:
heimdall flash --CM cm.bin --RADIO modem.bin --BOOTLOADER sboot.bin
5. It should take about 5 seconds. After that, you're done and now you can flash unofficial binaries (e.g. TWRP), or even fully downgrade to Oreo, if you got fed up with Pie :laugh:

I hope this helps anybody. If this guide helped you, leave me a 'Thanks' and/or drop a comment.

Yours sincerely,
James​

^ I flash TWRP normally through Odin, at this point KG state is "Checking"
Reboot to recovery, if you try to flash something at this point it fails since it can't mount data and system if I remember correctly, either you format them or change the filesystem for the partitions that can't be mounted to another format and then again to the original format(ext4). Now you can flash dm-verity disable and a custom ROM. This was my case. I don't know about the rmm state bypass you mentioned earlier. The only thing I know is that KG State is set to Checking, and stays like that.

talhagsm

Mar 1, 2010
i have all files but flasher i mean heimdall-suite-1.4.0-win32 its not working because me PC is win 7 64 Bit so what must i do need help please.

and i got this flash file G955FXXU4CRL3 and some device like Z3X, UMT, Chimera ETC.. can i use this device or u will give me any other tool?

THX.

Last edited:

jameskunst

Oct 21, 2016
i have all files but flasher i mean heimdall-suite-1.4.0-win32 its not working because me PC is win 7 64 Bit so what must i do need help please.

and i got this flash file G955FXXU4CRL3 and some device like Z3X, UMT, Chimera ETC.. can i use this device or u will give me any other tool?

THX.

"win32"? I have tested this solution on Ubuntu. I can't guarantee this works with Windows 7, sorry

ba_alwy

Aug 9, 2012
yemen
thank you
but how to remove KG State Prenormal if i want stay on pie
like i have file to remove rmm state and byebass
are there any way to byebass KG State or remove

kgr

Apr 6, 2011
Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Lumia 900
Whats the best way to 'extract' the BL & CP files? If I use 7zip in windows or archive manager in linux it gives me cm.bin.lz4 & sboot.bin.lz4 etc. Do I rename these or use them as is?

Psydt0n3

May 10, 2018
Whats the best way to 'extract' the BL & CP files? If I use 7zip in windows or archive manager in linux it gives me cm.bin.lz4 & sboot.bin.lz4 etc. Do I rename these or use them as is?

I used linux dude, lz4 is another form of compression, like zip etc.
If you rename the files it'll fail.
In parrot linux, lz4 wasn't installed.
##so I downloded it first##
sudo apt-get install lz4
##then i used lz4 to decompress each of the files##
lz4 -d modem.bin.lz4

this will decompress and spit out the modem.bin file you're after.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

SM-G950F

SO I successfully flashed the required .bin files in linux to the phone as per the guide.
Booted back into windows to used odin and tried flashing twrp-3.2.3-2-dreamlte.img.tar

Still failed with "only official released binaries etc" error on the bootloader after Odin fails.
RMM prenormal still showing on the bootloader.

Is this normal and I have to wait another 7 days or should this have worked?
:rolleyes:

Reactions: titanium86 and kgr

dante7000

Feb 10, 2018
there's no need to go through all that, just reflash BL,CP & Home from Oreo Stock rom.Then you can reflash TWRP after that,atleast thats what i did on G965N Pie and it worked

Last edited:
Reactions: LU SONEVESSO

Blackko

Dec 28, 2015
Heredia
I used linux dude, lz4 is another form of compression, like zip etc.
If you rename the files it'll fail.
In parrot linux, lz4 wasn't installed.
##so I downloded it first##
sudo apt-get install lz4
##then i used lz4 to decompress each of the files##
lz4 -d modem.bin.lz4

this will decompress and spit out the modem.bin file you're after.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

SM-G950F

SO I successfully flashed the required .bin files in linux to the phone as per the guide.
Booted back into windows to used odin and tried flashing twrp-3.2.3-2-dreamlte.img.tar

Still failed with "only official released binaries etc" error on the bootloader after Odin fails.
RMM prenormal still showing on the bootloader.

Is this normal and I have to wait another 7 days or should this have worked?
:rolleyes:
yeah, the same here with s8+, done with linux and went back to windows, flashed twrp and fails, i don't know what to do now
the only different thing was the phone state was custom, but still rmm was lock

i even flashed stock oreo but nothing

and i must say, the linux thing is a pain in the ass, that procedure is not for everyone,im a soft engineer and it took me 2H

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, XDA Community.​

Since the release of the last major update, Android Pie 9.0/OneUI, as soon as we trigger an update to the bootloader while we are running unofficial binaries, like TWRP and custom ROMs, a message pops up on boot splash when we perform a simple reboot:

"Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed"

This message shows up when we have KG State Prenormal (you can check KG State by entering download mode).

Before the Pie update, we were able to skip RMM State Prenormal by setting system date for 7 days before current date, then triggering a "check for system update", then setting back to current date. However, this doesn't work on the new Pie bootloader, which is why I am writing this guide, as I got caught many times into this damn state :rolleyes:

The workaround I've found is downgrading bootloader from Pie to Oreo, but, as we know, after flashing Pie bootloader, we are not able to downgrade it to Oreo using Odin, however it's possible forcing the downgrade using Heimdall on Ubuntu.

REQUIREMENTS:
    1. Ubuntu 16.04+
    2. Heimdall (install it through Ubuntu terminal)
    sudo apt install heimdall-flash
    3. 'cm.bin' + 'modem.bin' + 'sboot.bin' files from Oreo firmware (you can get them by extracting BL and CP .tar files from the official stock firmware zip - download them on SamFirm, SamMobile or updato.com)
    4. Internet connection (important - needed to download PIT file)
    5. Attention while typing the commands

GUIDE:
    1. Boot your phone into download mode (Power + Vol (-) + Bixby, then Vol (+) to enter download mode)
    2. Place cm.bin + modem.bin + sboot.bin into your Ubuntu user folder (/home/username/) - check attachment
    3. Open terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T)
    4. Type the following command:
    heimdall flash --CM cm.bin --RADIO modem.bin --BOOTLOADER sboot.bin
    5. It should take about 5 seconds. After that, you're done and now you can flash unofficial binaries (e.g. TWRP), or even fully downgrade to Oreo, if you got fed up with Pie :laugh:

I hope this helps anybody. If this guide helped you, leave me a 'Thanks' and/or drop a comment.

Yours sincerely,
    James​
    For me, on Pie, on Jan 2020 sec patch worked installing clean firmware, not logging into anything and using just Wifi, changed date to 8 days before actual date and then went into the bootloader, KG state went from Prenormal into Checking and I was able to flash TWRP again

Now when checking (after debloating the stock ROM and such), the KG state is still checking, luckily that's enough to flash anything non-official

S8+, on DTA1
    flash this using odin
    done ;)
    I thought Heimdall didn't work for s8 and new firmware
    I thought Heimdall didn't work for s8 and new firmware

Worked for me while downgrading DSBA to CSB1 bootloader