• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][SM-N900P]Get on Lollipop ROM with SIM-unlock

Search This thread

Tibedabeeto

Apr 15, 2010
Orlando
Why did it take me so long to find this? Thanks Matt my wife keeps bothering me about upgrading to newer version. Trying this out right now! My only question is once i do all this can I try any lollipop rom or just the one posted in your Thread?

I am getting the....... SW Rev Check Fail : [aboot]Fused 3 > Binary 2

When trying to flash the mj4 modem

I found this MJ4 modem and used it with no problems, continuing through your guide.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2676411

Flashed the dark horse 2.2 rom and it never gets beyond the samsung boot animation. Hmmmmm

Downloading CM12 seeing if that works in meantime. -- CM12 just boot loops like before. Trying to reinstall darkhorse again.

Which device model do you select, I chose - N9005

So I tried N900T and changed to custom kernel and it booted. Testing it out now.

So far everything is working except sending MMS.

NM got it working apn was jacked up thanks to fat fingers. So far it is working, will give an update after my wife uses it for a week. Thanks Matt!

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: MattMatt0240

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
Why did it take me so long to find this? Thanks Matt my wife keeps bothering me about upgrading to newer version. Trying this out right now! My only question is once i do all this can I try any lollipop rom or just the one posted in your Thread?

I am getting the....... SW Rev Check Fail : [aboot]Fused 3 > Binary 2

When trying to flash the mj4 modem

I found this MJ4 modem and used it with no problems, continuing through your guide.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2676411

Flashed the dark horse 2.2 rom and it never gets beyond the samsung boot animation. Hmmmmm

Downloading CM12 seeing if that works in meantime. -- CM12 just boot loops like before. Trying to reinstall darkhorse again.

Which device model do you select, I chose - N9005

So I tried N900T and changed to custom kernel and it booted. Testing it out now.

So far everything is working except sending MMS.

NM got it working apn was jacked up thanks to fat fingers. So far it is working, will give an update after my wife uses it for a week. Thanks Matt!

Thanks

You are welcome, just sharing my experiences of success. I am glad to hear you got it working! Yeah, I always choose n900T in all the aroma installers/OP instructions. I am still using g00h's note 4 port, but unfortunately he/she got banned and their work was taken down. Luckily I still had it in my MEGA account.

If anyone comes across other 5.0+ ROMs that work with our unlock, please share so I can update OP ;)

Tibedabeeto

Apr 15, 2010
Orlando
You are welcome, just sharing my experiences of success. I am glad to hear you got it working! Yeah, I always choose n900T in all the aroma installers/OP instructions. I am still using g00h's note 4 port, but unfortunately he/she got banned and their work was taken down. Luckily I still had it in my MEGA account.

If anyone comes across other 5.0+ ROMs that work with our unlock, please share so I can update OP ;)

Was trying to find that rom but since it was taken away I gave up. Where is the link to your mega account? Would like to have it as backup, or to try another rom for her. Thanks man

Sent from my X9076 using XDA Free mobile app

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
Was trying to find that rom but since it was taken away I gave up. Where is the link to your mega account? Would like to have it as backup, or to try another rom for her. Thanks man

I usually keep to myself here on XDA, and don't know if publicly posting g00h's ROM is in any violation of XDA rules. I can pm you a link, I gave it to ndwgs as well. He got it working, use the custom kernel included in aroma as well.

Duaigt

Feb 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Hey, folk, can I do that with another ROM and get the same results? Example, with CM12 nightly for my Note 3 (SM-900P). I'm with Sprint. I would like to change to MetroPCS.
Thanks a lot in advance!

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
Hey, folk, can I do that with another ROM and get the same results? Example, with CM12 nightly for my Note 3 (SM-900P). I'm with Sprint. I would like to change to MetroPCS.
Thanks a lot in advance!
You mileage may vary, and I haven't tested all ROMs. With unlock, it can be picky. If you find any ROMs that work, please let me know so I can put it in a list :)

In my experiences, I couldn't use cm12. It would not recognize the sim card, because you need to be on mj4 modem or lower for unlock to work.

I have recently looked into it again, and it seems there may be a fix, but I haven't tested yet (will do soon).
From temaseks unofficial cm12.1 thread:
My SIM isn't being detected in vX.X
Assuming you've booted, navigate to
/data/property

And delete the file called:
persist.radio.apm_sim_not_pwdn
this can also be done in terminal emulator I love me some cyanogenmod, worth a try I think!

I will report back if successful and update OP accordingly.

EDIT: This file does not seem to be present in cm12 stock, must be exclusive to temaseks ROM. Once again, I will try his ROM and report back later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duaigt

Duaigt

Feb 21, 2014
Miami, FL
You mileage may vary, and I haven't tested all ROMs. With unlock, it can be picky. If you find any ROMs that work, please let me know so I can put it in a list :)

In my experiences, I couldn't use cm12. It would not recognize the sim card, because you need to be on mj4 modem or lower for unlock to work.

I have recently looked into it again, and it seems there may be a fix, but I haven't tested yet (will do soon).
From temaseks unofficial cm12.1 thread:
this can also be done in terminal emulator I love me some cyanogenmod, worth a try I think!

I will report back if successful and update OP accordingly.

EDIT: This file does not seem to be present in cm12 stock, must be exclusive to temaseks ROM. Once again, I will try his ROM and report back later.

Nothing happened, folk, nothing happened.

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
Hey folks, if anyone is still following this, I found a great 5.1.1 AOSP ROM that works awesome for us unlocked users. I haven't tested thoroughly but it works. See here AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) here. Updated OP with a link as well. You will need hlte version; hltespr version does not recognize sim card as it is set to CDMA, no way to change to GSM.

Cheers!

Reactions: ndwgs

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
would be so grateful if someone posted a how to video. ive odin back to stock more then 3 times already and every time i flash a new modem i get no signal please help
I don't have the time or resources to do a video right now :(

What are you trying to do exactly? Are you already unlocked? Are you flashing MJ4 modem again (twice to be safe) so unlock is recognized? Give me some details and I can probably help.

jellomonster54994

Feb 2, 2014
San Antonio
I don't have the time or resources to do a video right now :(

What are you trying to do exactly? Are you already unlocked? Are you flashing MJ4 modem again (twice to be safe) so unlock is recognized? Give me some details and I can probably help.

i do not believe i have unlocked i figured that the unlock was done once you flashed the modem like it does with the sprint s4.
first i odin to NH7 full then downgrade modem to MJ4 (Twice to be safe) then flash recovery twice boot into recovery and install aicp rom

PLEASE HELLLLP :crying:

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
i do not believe i have unlocked i figured that the unlock was done once you flashed the modem like it does with the sprint s4.
first i odin to NH7 full then downgrade modem to MJ4 (Twice to be safe) then flash recovery twice boot into recovery and install aicp rom

PLEASE HELLLLP :crying:
My apologies if the title was misleading. This is for users that are already sim-unlocked. You can find instructions here for it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2593305
There is also an app that can do this too, search for "Sprint Samsung unlocker" thread.
Edit: here is that SSU thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2928250

Once you are sim-unlocked (can use an alternate carrier) then this thread is for you. Some ROMs require newer modems, and only a few work with mj4 modem (which is the newest modem you can use with the sim-unlock remaining usable, newer modems will show invalid sim message).

Hope this helps clarify a few things.

jellomonster54994

Feb 2, 2014
San Antonio
My apologies if the title was misleading. This is for users that are already sim-unlocked. You can find instructions here for it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2593305
There is also an app that can do this too, search for "Sprint Samsung unlocker" thread.
Edit: here is that SSU thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2928250

Once you are sim-unlocked (can use an alternate carrier) then this thread is for you. Some ROMs require newer modems, and only a few work with mj4 modem (which is the newest modem you can use with the sim-unlock remaining usable, newer modems will show invalid sim message).

Hope this helps clarify a few things.
can you point me to the international unlock...i just bought this phone recently and sprint wont let me unlock it until i get a plan

ndwgs

Oct 8, 2010
Everywhere
Hey folks, if anyone is still following this, I found a great 5.1.1 AOSP ROM that works awesome for us unlocked users. I haven't tested thoroughly but it works. See here AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) here. Updated OP with a link as well. You will need hlte version; hltespr version does not recognize sim card as it is set to CDMA, no way to change to GSM.

Cheers!

Hey Matt, what are you on lately? I want to re-try Darklord, and maybe this.

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
Hey Matt, what are you on lately? I want to re-try Darklord, and maybe this.
I am on the AICP ROM now, and absolutely love it. Combined with a paid CM12 theme from play store, it's a beauty! I have always preferred AOSP-based ROMs anyhow. As for darklord, I tried that when g00h still had their rom on xda, and I couldn't get it to work for me.

If you do try AICP, remember to get the hlte version.

Last edited:

ndwgs

Oct 8, 2010
Everywhere
I am on the AICP ROM now, and absolutely love it. Combined with a paid CM12 theme from play store, it's a beauty! I have always preferred AOSP-based ROMs anyhow. As for darklord, I tried that when g00h still had their rom on xda, and I couldn't get it to work for me.

If you do try AICP, remember to get the hlte version.

Does the camera work good? Like take multi-shots so that you could turn it into a .gif or autoawesome pics? I'll have to try it, lol...

MattMatt0240

Sep 10, 2011
Does the camera work good? Like take multi-shots so that you could turn it into a .gif or autoawesome pics? I'll have to try it, lol...
Well it's an aosp camera, so if you mean by holding down the capture button and getting multiple pictures, the answer is no. I can take a picture about every second. There are better camera apps on Google play, I wouldn't let that stop ya from trying it out ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I no longer have the Sprint Note 3, and unfortunately will not be actively maintaining this thread. If you would like me to add more, comment or PM me the ROM link. Thank you :)

Hello everyone! I've had some users ask me how to do this, so for those who may be in the same situation, here is a guide to get Android 5.0.1 on your Sprint Note 3 (SM-N900p), for users that are SIM-unlocked and are on a different carrier than Sprint. This has presented me a few problems before, as you cannot go past the MJ4 modem, without losing access to SIM-unlock. In my experiences, I could never get any 5.0+ ROMs to work on my Note 3, while still being able to use/recognize a SIM card from another carrier. I could not get this specific ROM to boot on NC5, so NH7 (possibly newer) bootloader is required. This guide is based solely my own experiences, and a few reported successful users as well. Your mileage may vary.

I will not take responsibility for any damage done to your device, do this at your own risk and free will.

Alright, shall we get started?
    What you will need:
    Odin (Mirrors everywhere, search for it)

If you are not on NH7 or newer bootloader, Grab NH7 Stock restore found here

Grab latest TWRP (2.8.5.0) here

If you have a modem newer than MJ4, grab MJ4 Modem here

Grab ROM:

a) AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) CM12.1-based ROM
    AICP here You will need hlte version! Hltespr does not recognize sim card

b) DarkLord ROM (Note 4 port)
    DarkLord Rom here

c) Phronesis ROM (note 5 port) :
    Phronesis ROM here
    Compatible Kernels for Phronesis ROM (grab hlte-spr versions):
    c1 Idle Kernel
    c2 DarkLord Kernel

First and foremost: Make a nandroid backup in recovery. Save a copy of it to your PC, as well as a copy of your SDcard(s) for safe keeping.

Now that everything is backed up, and we have all of the necessary files listed above:
    If you are already on NH7 bootloader, skip to step 8

1) Open up ODIN on PC and load NH7 stock restore into PDA slot (AP slot for newer versions of ODIN).
    2) Do not check "auto-reboot" checkbox. If this is checked, click it once to un-check it.
    3) Put phone into Download Mode (Hold 'vol. down' + 'power' + 'home' buttons while booting)
    4) Connect phone to PC, there should be a light-blue box lit up with "COM:" + some numbers. This means Odin recognizes the device.
    5) Click start button in ODIN to begin flashing. This will take a few minutes.
    6) Once the flashing is finished, un-plug phone from PC and pull the battery out for ~10 seconds.
    7) Boot straight into Download Mode again. Flash the NH7 file again in ODIN, exactly the same procedure as before. (Sorry, ODIN is picky sometimes, and this trick will get the flash to stick)
    Your phone should now be on NH7 firmware, including the Modem and bootloader.

Now we need to get back on MJ4 Modem to be able to recognize the SIM-unlock once again (if you are already on MJ4 or older modem, skip to step 15):
    8) Open ODIN on PC, and load MJ4 modem tar into PDA slot (AP slot for newer versions of ODIN)
    9)Do not check "auto-reboot" checkbox. If this is checked, click it once to un-check it.
    10) Put phone into Download Mode (Hold 'vol. down' + 'power' + 'home' buttons while booting)
    11) Connect phone to PC, there should be a light-blue box lit up with "COM:" + some numbers. This means Odin recognizes the device.
    12) Click start button in ODIN to begin flashing. This may take a few minutes.
    13) Once the flashing is finished, un-plug phone from PC and pull the battery out for ~10 seconds.
    14) Boot straight into Download Mode again. Flash the MJ4 modem file again in ODIN, exactly the same procedure as before. (Sorry, ODIN is picky sometimes, and this trick will get the flash to stick)
    You should now have everything on NH7 firmware, with the exception of the MJ4 Modem needed for SIM-unlock.

Now we need a custom recovery to flash the ROM:
    15) Open ODIN on PC, and load TWRP tar into PDA slot (AP slot for newer versions of ODIN)
    16)Do not check "auto-reboot" checkbox. If this is checked, click it once to un-check it.
    17) Put phone into Download Mode (Hold 'vol. down' + 'power' + 'home' buttons while booting)
    18) Connect phone to PC, there should be a light-blue box lit up with "COM:" + some numbers. This means Odin recognizes the device.
    19) Click start button in ODIN to begin flashing. This may take a few minutes.
    20) Once the flashing is finished, un-plug phone from PC and pull the battery out for ~10 seconds.
    21) Boot phone into recovery (Hold 'vol. up' + 'power' + 'home' buttons while booting).
    22) Wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik cache
    23) Flash ROM We should have everything on SDcard(s) still. If you do not, you may need to sideload ROM onto phone in recovery. Alternatively, you should be able to restore your backup and transfer it back to phone easily
    24) PROFIT!!! Enjoy some Lollipop with your carrier of choice!

I know this is a tedious process, and there may be quicker ways of doing the same thing, but I've found this method most reliable. Hopefully this will help someone as much as figuring it out helped me :)
    Please report your results

Credits: Give thanks to these folks, they well deserve it @semdoc for AICP android 5.1.1
    @nambavuong for the beautiful ROM, thank you
    @bigbiff for bringing TWRP to our device
    @freeza for MJ4 flashable modem
    @micmars for stock NH7 flashable firmware

Enjoy folks, cheers!
    I'm on MJ4 modem, NK4 bootloader, Philz touch recovery. Have been able to get g00h's roms and darklord rom to work with T-Mobile.
    Mind if you could do a write up on her how you did Darklord's ROM? I saw you got the "...hlte v0.4.zip" working, but it was only "8.7MB". Did you flash that on top of Darklord's 2.0 or 2.1 or what? Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

DarkQueen 0.4 kernel works on Darklord 1.5. Just flash is over the rom. I can't remember anything special to do.
    Darklord 2.0/2.1 comes with DarkQueen 0.4 kernel, so no need to flash kernel.

There is not much to write up. Just flash the rom and they all worked. You may need to tweak apn a bit. Some earlier version of TWRP has trouble with Darklord 2.0. I always use Phliz here. I'm staying with Darklord 2.1 for now. I might try out those two new roms from g00h, the pure stock N4 European rom and the customized Chinese leak N4 v3.5. I feel there is not much difference for me. What matters is stability and power efficiency, which is pretty hard to tell by individual unless there is something really off.

I usually keep to myself here on XDA, and don't know if publicly posting g00h's ROM is in any violation of XDA rules. I can pm you a link, I gave it to ndwgs as well. He got it working, use the custom kernel included in aroma as well.
    Thank you for sharing! The reason for the guide is because there is confusion about updating bootloader and being able to keep MJ4 modem (which seems to be key for us unlocked users) ;)

Tweaked Note 4 port is what I've been running, it is pretty nice, but I agree sometimes you need to see for yourself and not take someone else's experience as definitive.

Do you mind linking darkRom for future readers that may be interested? I may give it a try as well :)

[ROM,TW] Note 4 port 5.0.1 - DarkLord rom v2.1 N910F BOB4 by Samsungviet