[Guide][SM-T500/T505] Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 - Unlock Bootloader & Root with Magisk

hermesmodern

Jan 23, 2021
Hello,

I tried to root my TabA7 with the given tutorial, but i have the problem, that after automatic reboot i come to the language selection screen, after the following reboot there is a warning:
"Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed (vbmeta)" (see image)

Is this the so called "boot loop", which requires a factory reset (new Step 7) - or is this another issue?
Before i try again i would be sure, that the problem is solved, because meanwhile i set up my tablet unrootet.
BTW: Is there a way to backup apps and setting without root?

Thx, aemkai
I just got exactly the same issue ...

I tried again the Odin part, but it now fails with a "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed(vbmeta)" message on the Tab itself (in Download mode).

Did you find any solution?

william_79

Nov 18, 2020
Please help.
Su command inaccesible or not found
click on start - "write" cmd - "write" adb shell - "write" sm list-disks - "write" sm partition disk: 179.32 private (in my case) "or as an alternative write" sm partition disk: 179.32 mixed 50 - "write" reboot
that's all, Su there is not a command

Last edited:

william_79

Nov 18, 2020
I'm doing something wrong but not sure what lol
Step 1: First download the latest version of the Android SDK.
Step 2: Now you need to extract the components of the file you downloaded earlier (platform-tools).
Step 3: You will need to move the "platform-tools" folder to another place on your PC, ie the root C: \ after which rename the folder to something like this: C: \ android-adb.
Step 4: Now right-click on the "This Computer" icon on your desktop, and go to "Properties".
Step 5: From "System Properties", go to the "Advanced System Settings" section, and click on the "Environment Variables" button.
Step 6: The system variables are contained in the lower pane. Search for "Path", highlight it and then click the "Edit" button.
Step 7: Surely there will already be a string in this box; go to the end of the string and add the following text (if you chose C: \ android-adb as the folder): ; C: \ Android-adb
Step 8: Now click on “OK”. The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) folder is configured correctly and you can now run ADB and Fastboot commands from the Windows command prompt.

To check if ADB for Windows are correctly installed, connect the Android smartphone or tablet to the PC with USB Debugging enabled and when the command prompt window opens on the screen, type: adb devices
You will see a list of all connected devices.
Now "write" adb shell - "write" sm list-disks - "write" sm partition disk: 179.32 private (in my case) "or as an alternative write" sm partition disk: 179.32 mixed 50 - "write" reboot
that's all

Mogster2K

Jun 25, 2011
Hi mate how do I write these commands?

I've followed steps in video creating path to downloaded adb folder and rebooted.
I've tried command prompt then wrote adb shell and it say's:
C:\Users\richc>abd shell
'abd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Where am I going wrong?

Cheers
I'm guessing you meant "adb shell"? Windows requires that commands either be in the current folder ( C:\Users\richc ) or in your command path. That's why many instructions on XDA say to dump everything into a single folder.

jur-and

Jan 12, 2015
it is a galaxy tab a7
(T500 XXS2ATL1/T500OXM2ATK1) gta4lwifixx/gta4lwifi;
model: SM-500NZAAXAR.

i used samfw.com_SM-T500_TGY_T500XXS2ATL1 (3328327 kb zipped file)

everything went smoothly. 'root checker' shows that i am not an admin.
I have followed these steps twice; no success.

third time i have used: AP T500XXS2ATKL1, CSC T500OXM2ATK3 in Odin. Again i didn't become ROOT. i have used XAR region.

i used samfw.com_SM-T500_XAR_T500XXS2ATL1 (332564 kb zipped file)

no root either :-(

Last edited:

millerjames759900

Feb 13, 2021
Thank you for this awesome guide!! I've gotten everything together, patched and ready tp flash the patched AP along with the others to my tablet, I just have one question.... Should I flash the original firmware I obtained to get the AP section to begin with? I mean that would guarantee it would work, right? Or does that not matter?

Jun 11, 2010
London
Like others.. I'm getting as far as the language select screen after successfully booting the patched AP file and factory resetting.
I was on; Build No: QP1A.190711.020.T500XXU2ATK3
Frija-v1.4.3 using CSC "EUX" gets me: SM-T500_1_20201214202705_ojodpptnb0_fac which says it is for "T500XXS2ATL1/T500OXM2ATK3/T500XXS2ATL1" so maybe that is the issue..

Patching using official Magisk gave me: magisk_patched_2EAak.tar
Odin3 v3.14.1 (couldn't find 3.14.4) copied the right files to the right places.
the reset went fine
booted up to Lang select and then: Blue Screen Security Error "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed (vbmeta)

only other thing I can think of is this from TonyWu " Do NOT use MTP as it is reported to corrupt files. "
might try again when I have the time.

does anyone else have T500XXU2ATK3 ? and rooted successfully?

found the "right" firmware on samfw and still ran into exactly the same problem :-(

Last edited:

Mogster2K

Jun 25, 2011
Like others.. I'm getting as far as the language select screen after successfully booting the patched AP file and factory resetting.
I was on; Build No: QP1A.190711.020.T500XXU2ATK3
Frija-v1.4.3 using CSC "EUX" gets me: SM-T500_1_20201214202705_ojodpptnb0_fac which says it is for "T500XXS2ATL1/T500OXM2ATK3/T500XXS2ATL1" so maybe that is the issue..

Patching using official Magisk gave me: magisk_patched_2EAak.tar
Odin3 v3.14.1 (couldn't find 3.14.4) copied the right files to the right places.
the reset went fine
booted up to Lang select and then: Blue Screen Security Error "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed (vbmeta)

only other thing I can think of is this from TonyWu " Do NOT use MTP as it is reported to corrupt files. "
might try again when I have the time.

does anyone else have T500XXU2ATK3 ? and rooted successfully?

found the "right" firmware on samfw and still ran into exactly the same problem :-(
Why are you using CSC "EUX"? It should be XAR as far as I know. That's what I'm using, and it works.

Edit: my build # is QP1A.190711.020.T500XXS2ATL1

Mogster2K

Jun 25, 2011
Thank you for this awesome guide!! I've gotten everything together, patched and ready tp flash the patched AP along with the others to my tablet, I just have one question.... Should I flash the original firmware I obtained to get the AP section to begin with? I mean that would guarantee it would work, right? Or does that not matter?
Yes, you should flash the BL, CSC, and CP (if any) along with the modified AP.

hashterix

Aug 27, 2019
click on start - "write" cmd - "write" adb shell - "write" sm list-disks - "write" sm partition disk: 179.32 private (in my case) "or as an alternative write" sm partition disk: 179.32 mixed 50 - "write" reboot
Help!

I did this, it did what I wanted, great! But, I'm afraid it causes corruption of the device requiring a factory reset each time after you turn the device off and back on again after a while.

Twice I've done it, twice it's corrupted after being shut down. Device is running latest firmware (not rooted), have a 128GB SD card and I configured storage as mixed 50.

Anyone else run into this issue and been able to solve it??

Rescue log summary attached.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: xbs

borgdronez

Oct 13, 2013
I did all this, but still am unable to move apps to the sd card. Is there something I am doing wrong?

xbs

May 31, 2011
Vinewood
Help!

I did this, it did what I wanted, great! But, I'm afraid it causes corruption of the device requiring a factory reset each time after you turn the device off and back on again after a while.

Twice I've done it, twice it's corrupted after being shut down. Device is running latest firmware (not rooted), have a 128GB SD card and I configured storage as mixed 50.

Anyone else run into this issue and been able to solve it??

Rescue log summary attached.
Did you try using the whole storage?
i.e sm partition disk: [DISK] private