[GUIDE][SM-T510] Unlock/Root - Tab A 10.1 (Android 10)

Search This thread

cpl.Bower

May 23, 2012
This are exactly the steps I did to root this device.

Pre-requisites
. Odin 3.14.4
. Latest MagiskManager(Im using 8.0.2)
. bootloader unlocked
. Firmware that matches the version installed on your device.
. Lz4 extractor : https://github.com/lz4/lz4/releases
. TAR.MD5_PACKAGER

First at all, remember to unlock T510 bootloader

The firmware which is based is this : SM-T510_1_20200702122203_r4oibm2ll7_fac.zip

. Extract AP_T510XXU3BTFN_CL19000394_QB32592397_REV02_user_low_ship_meta_OS10.tar.md5
. Extract boot.img from .tar.md5
. lz4.exe -d boot.img.lz4
boot.img

. Copy MagiskManager-v8.0.2.apk to your tablet and Run it.
- Magisk > Install > Recovery Mode Selected > Next > Method > Select and Patch a File > boot.img > LET'S GO > "All done!"
File called : magisk_pached.img

. Copy to PC
- copy magisk_patched.img boot.img
copy boot.img to TAR_MD5_PACKAGER\parts\

. TAR.MD5_PACKAGER.bat > "1" > boot.img > "Y" > "2" > "1" > "Y" > "4"
in TAR_MD5_PACKAGER\packaged\ : boot.img.tar.md5

. Run Odin
Plug USB > should say "Added!!"

. Volume Up and Power until you get into recovery menu > reboot to bootloader
- Connect USB
- Run ODIN

. In Odin : AP > boot.img.tar.md5
Options > Delect "Auto Reboot"
Click Start . Make sure the operation succeeds.
Unplug your device and reboot.

. Ask for Factory data reset > Factory Reset

. Reboot System now

. Volume Up + Vol down + Power

. Setup WiFi

. Install and run MagiskManager-v8.0.2.apk

. Tablet will ask Reboot System now

Reactions: flores1970sergio

Mrigendra10

Aug 4, 2018
Nokia 8.1
Great! I somewhat did the same method for rooting/twrp installing. I was on latest Android 10 build(September patch perhaps). I download the latest firmware and unzipped it then I further extracted AP_T510XXX......... .tar.md5 using zarchiver which have me AP_T510XXX........ .tar. Instead of extracting boot image I patched the whole thing with megisk and flashed it from AP from ODIN. When tablet booted installed megisk manager apk and saw that tablet was rooted.

You can further flash TWRP image using flashify but then stock ROM may not boot. Anyway moving further if you want to flash GSI, first flash Lineage or Nexus Rom and then A64b GSIs can be flashed.

• Love
Reactions: yergo88

fridlack

May 28, 2009
Gava, Barcelona
Thanks both! i will take a look when i am at home, i tried to patch AP_T510XXX......... .tar.md5 with magisk but i didnt extract it before and it hold on boot, i try to extract first like @Mrigendra10 then patch it and then odin...

Huntereasx

Oct 16, 2018
Help me out here, I did everything correctly and installed it with Odin, it was a success, but when I installed magisk on my tablet again, nothing new happened, didn't ask me to reboot and I tried an app that requires root but said I wasn't rooted. Help please.

Huntereasx

Oct 16, 2018
Used a root checker, says a super user app was found, that being Magisk. says root unavailable and no su binary .

cera33

Feb 21, 2011
Hi, just to be sure
Odin > Options > Delect
means 'Deselect' and not 'Select'?
Thx! :)

wolfyj1

Mar 20, 2020
hesperia
I was able to complete everything step by step and used a root checker and it states "Root access is not properly installed on this device. Any idea what may have gone wrong? Do I just start over and try again?

xiaozi

May 21, 2010
same here. can not root SM510. tried linegae, nexus and stock from. any video root with magisk with rambus on and saftety net passed?

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
Lynnwood
Hey, just some notes to clear up any confusion about Magisk on the T510. The tablet doesn't have a ramdisk available for boot, so Magisk must be installed to the recovery partition. Below is a screenshot of Magisk Manager data from my own tablet:

Screenshot_20210326-132318.jpg

And per the Magisk installation instructions:
Pay special attention to the Ramdisk info. If the result is Yes, congratulations, your device is perfect for installing Magisk! However, if the result is No this means your device’s boot partition does NOT include ramdisk. This means you will have to go through some extra steps to make Magisk work properly.

If your device does not have boot ramdisk, read the Magisk in Recovery section after installing. The information in that section is VERY important!

If you are using a Samsung device and the SAR result is Yes, please check its own section.
If you are using a Huawei device and the SAR result is Yes, please check its own section.
In order to boot into system with active Magisk, one has to essentially boot into recovery. From the Magisk in Recovery section (Bixby button references can be ignored):
If your device does not have ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to reboot to recovery every time you want Magisk.

When Magisk is installed in your recovery, you CANNOT use custom recoveries to install/upgrade Magisk! The only way to install/upgrade Magisk is through the Magisk app. It will be aware of your device state and install to the correct partition and reboot into the correct mode.

Since Magisk now hijacks the recovery of the device, there is a mechanism to let you actually boot into recovery mode when needed: it is determined by how long you press the recovery key combo.

Each device has its own key combo to boot into recovery, as an example for Galaxy S10 it is (Power + Bixby + Volume Up). A quick Google search should easily get you this info of your device. As soon as you press the combo and the device vibrates with a splash screen, release all buttons to boot into Magisk. If you decide to boot into actual recovery mode, continue to press volume up until you see the recovery screen.

After installing Magisk in recovery (starting from power off):
  • (Power up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
  • (Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
  • (Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Recovery Mode)
I can understand now why John Wu was spitting nails mad when Google switched to dynamic partitions with system-as-root: it completely effs up the architecture for rooting with Magisk. :mad:☠️

I don't know why Google and manufacturers persist in making it messy to nigh-impossible for end users--who desire to do so--to have full control of their own devices. Stupid. Just stupid. 😾 Usunoro...

On the positive side, I hope this helps everyone trying to root their T510 tablets, and explains the weirdness people may have encountered.

(P.S. Since hardware attestation is used on the T510, SafetyNet won't pass, no matter what. There aren't any modules that can address this, given that hardware is being used for the evaluation. Another baka change! Also, I'm sticking with Pie since I can't stand Scoped Storage. Can't. Stand. It.)

Fur and Purrs --
--
King Cheetah

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This are exactly the steps I did to root this device.

Pre-requisites
    . Odin 3.14.4
    . Latest MagiskManager(Im using 8.0.2)
    . bootloader unlocked
    . Firmware that matches the version installed on your device.
    . Lz4 extractor : https://github.com/lz4/lz4/releases
    . TAR.MD5_PACKAGER

First at all, remember to unlock T510 bootloader

The firmware which is based is this : SM-T510_1_20200702122203_r4oibm2ll7_fac.zip

. Extract AP_T510XXU3BTFN_CL19000394_QB32592397_REV02_user_low_ship_meta_OS10.tar.md5
    . Extract boot.img from .tar.md5
    . lz4.exe -d boot.img.lz4
    boot.img

. Copy MagiskManager-v8.0.2.apk to your tablet and Run it.
    - Magisk > Install > Recovery Mode Selected > Next > Method > Select and Patch a File > boot.img > LET'S GO > "All done!"
    File called : magisk_pached.img

. Copy to PC
    - copy magisk_patched.img boot.img
    copy boot.img to TAR_MD5_PACKAGER\parts\

. TAR.MD5_PACKAGER.bat > "1" > boot.img > "Y" > "2" > "1" > "Y" > "4"
    in TAR_MD5_PACKAGER\packaged\ : boot.img.tar.md5

. Run Odin
    Plug USB > should say "Added!!"

. Volume Up and Power until you get into recovery menu > reboot to bootloader
    - Connect USB
    - Run ODIN

. In Odin : AP > boot.img.tar.md5
    Options > Delect "Auto Reboot"
    Click Start . Make sure the operation succeeds.
    Unplug your device and reboot.

. Ask for Factory data reset > Factory Reset

. Reboot System now

. Volume Up + Vol down + Power

. Setup WiFi

. Install and run MagiskManager-v8.0.2.apk

. Tablet will ask Reboot System now
    Great! I somewhat did the same method for rooting/twrp installing. I was on latest Android 10 build(September patch perhaps). I download the latest firmware and unzipped it then I further extracted AP_T510XXX......... .tar.md5 using zarchiver which have me AP_T510XXX........ .tar. Instead of extracting boot image I patched the whole thing with megisk and flashed it from AP from ODIN. When tablet booted installed megisk manager apk and saw that tablet was rooted.

You can further flash TWRP image using flashify but then stock ROM may not boot. Anyway moving further if you want to flash GSI, first flash Lineage or Nexus Rom and then A64b GSIs can be flashed.