[GUIDE] [SOLVED] "FAILED: ICS Update not working"

Search This thread

jfortier777

Dec 31, 2011
NYC
No matter what I do, can't downgrade to .33. Downloaded the US firmware from ASUS website. Extracted the zip file and put it into /sdcard. Shut the prime down and started back up. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong here?

Make sure you are logged into your google account.

Paste the US-------.zip to your /Removable/MicroSD/ directory from your PC.
Wait for 2 minutes and see if it automatically recognizes the file.

It did not work for me when i put it in /SDCARD (this is the internal memory directory)

nramprabhu

Mar 20, 2006
Dublin , CA
I was rooted....had removed bloat, frozen apps with TB....upgraded GMail to ICS version and changed font to ICS. -> update failed several times.

- reset - fail

so i downloaded official .33 firmware from Asus
unzipped to SDCARD (external microSD).
rebooted, holding down vol...then up when prompted.
it failed to update...but when booted into HC, it notified me of an .33 update...i applied it.
ALL bloat returned, fonts too....

ICS update worked after.

sooo...if you removed bloat, you can get it from ASUS. Go Asus.

I did not remove any blotware but updated the droid fallback font ( To enable Tamil fonts) ... that was preventing the updates...

the above said method works.. updating to ICS now...

martez75

Jun 22, 2008
Has anyone successfully downgraded yet? Successfully (and inadvertently) upgraded to 4.0.3 earlier, and have been trying for hours to downgrade to .33 with no joy. Only get the downed Android robot with exclamation point :( .

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
I don't know if this helps or not, and I'm fixing to pass out... But here we go!

I had .33 and I rooted... Then I tried to unroot (using _Viperboy_'s one click method) and it KEPT giving stuff root. So I then used the adb shell feature, typed su, (in windows command prompt) and copy/pasted the code to remove superuser. I also went into the manage applications and removed the superuser update. it was a PAIN IN THE BUTT, but I was able to remove all traces of Superuser. Plus he has updated the "Prime Time" tool, so it might unroot better.

I WISH I had done the OTA Rootkeeper thing. But I'm SURE someone will find root for ICS and make downgrading pointless. jcase posted that he MIGHT have found a root method. We'll find out in time!

But unrooting was a pain in the BUTT! I rerooted, (cause after "unrooting" with the one click tool, adb shell "su" would say access denied and I wasn't able to remove superuser. FUNNY THING IS, sometime it would even say superuser not found, but things were still getting root. YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL the superuser update, then reboot. I don't know the EXACT diagram of what made my Prime totally UNROOTED, but the update worked for me!

VIDEOS HERE! You will see that I WAS rooted, then unrooted and updated.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFA87501087653A16

Raptor124

Aug 26, 2010
Ennis, Co. Clare
the title should be changed

it should not have solved in it when there are people that still can't downgrade to .33

i too have tried everything here and have no luck either

people who were successful could they share any other ideas that may help the rest of us to be successful too

i am at this all day and am slowly going mad

slayer69

Jul 3, 2009
San Diego, CA.
I don't know if this helps or not, and I'm fixing to pass out... But here we go!

I had .33 and I rooted... Then I tried to unroot (using _Viperboy_'s one click method) and it KEPT giving stuff root. So I then used the adb shell feature, typed su, (in windows command prompt) and copy/pasted the code to remove superuser. I also went into the manage applications and removed the superuser update. it was a PAIN IN THE BUTT, but I was able to remove all traces of Superuser. Plus he has updated the "Prime Time" tool, so it might unroot better.

I WISH I had done the OTA Rootkeeper thing. But I'm SURE someone will find root for ICS and make downgrading pointless. jcase posted that he MIGHT have found a root method. We'll find out in time!

But unrooting was a pain in the BUTT! I rerooted, (cause after "unrooting" with the one click tool, adb shell "su" would say access denied and I wasn't able to remove superuser. FUNNY THING IS, sometime it would even say superuser not found, but things were still getting root. YOU HAVE TO UNINSTALL the superuser update, then reboot. I don't know the EXACT diagram of what made my Prime totally UNROOTED, but the update worked for me!

VIDEOS HERE! You will see that I WAS rooted, then unrooted and updated.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFA87501087653A16

VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper is your friend....been mentioned before, this is what I used to unroot after I backed it up. Was a cinch.

grainybazzles

Mar 23, 2008
Will it work to unroot, restore factory settings, upgrade, and root again on ICS?

I was thinking it would be easy to backup with TB before factory resetting and just restore those settings on ICS. Is that crazy talk?

I removed 1 bloaty application on gingerbread with root. Wish I would have just kept it there for a couple more days.

dildano

Nov 10, 2008
So this was probably obvious to everyone but me, but loading 33 from the sdcard won't work if the sdcard is formatted as NTFS. Honeycomb will see it, but I guess the NTFS drivers don't get loaded after the reboot and before the load process starts. Once I reformatted to FAT32, everything worked fine. Might want to add that to the OP for dumbasses like me.

jfortier777

Dec 31, 2011
NYC
All you people messing up your OTAs is one reason for the desire to lock down the bootloader.

We didn't "mess up" our OTA, ASUS included a restriction that required 100% of the stock software to be intact.
It was an unexpected complication at most.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Last edited:

jfortier777

Dec 31, 2011
NYC

it should not have solved in it when there are people that still can't downgrade to .33

people who were successful could they share any other ideas that may help the rest of us to be successful too

I strongly encourage you to reread the OP and the title of this thread.

THIS IS NOT A GUIDE TO ROOTING, OR FOR DOWNGRADING TO .33 FROM ICS.

It is a GUIDE to help people who were unable to update to ICS and needed to reapply their existing .33 installation.

There are support threads for downgrading elsewhere. Use the search feature.

I will add this to the top of the OP so others who do not read through will not be confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raptor124

jfortier777

Dec 31, 2011
NYC
Make sure you are logged into your google account.

where and how do you do that

When you turned on your prime for the first time you were asked to link a google account to the tablet.

If you have done a factory reset since, then you need to link it again just like it was new.
If you skipped the setup you can do this easily by adding an account in gmail, settings, or the market.

However, you are already running ICS, so this thread and that explanation are not relevant to your specific needs.

Raptor124

Aug 26, 2010
Ennis, Co. Clare

It is a GUIDE to help people who were unable to update to ICS and needed to reapply their existing .33 installation.

I will add this to the top of the OP so others who do not read through will not be confused.

apologies for posting in your thread but i did do a search and they point back to yours

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1438407

which is why i posted here - sorry for the confusion - i'll just have to wait until a better solution is found

Sixfeet01

Feb 2, 2012
i have a transformer prime tf201 and was doing an upgrade while it was in the dock. the update failed and said it had to do something with the dock, but now it won't come on, when you try puttin it on, it just vibrate and thats it..can anybody help?..please

blublub

Oct 22, 2009
Hi

I am already on ICS but have in the meantime deleted a couple f bloatware apps.
has anyone an advice how to proceed for the .14 update when it comes out (not out yet its a german product code).
thx

ahnvandepol

Mar 5, 2012
My TF101 will not complete updating

Yep, another 'don't wanne be a noob'.
In fact, I'm just a user and don't wanne disturb you with my stupid questions.
It's just that after days of .... and browsing the forums, I realize I need help.
I am sure this is easy stuff for you.

This is what I have:
* Desktop with Windows 7 an all the latest drivers, I am sure by now!
* My (second hand) TF101, B50 with version 3.0.1
* Build nr HRI66.WW_e_epad-8.2.3.13-20110511
* Kernel [email protected] #1, no idea what it means

I want to update to ICS.

Since this is a second hand TF101, I noticed I couldn't install ICS.
And I don't get automatic updates.
I thought that got to do with rooting, so I brought it back to stock with
software I found. I guess that works well.
Apparently there was CWM installed which I regret I deleted since it looked convenient. Anyhow.

This is what I did - after reading all the forums:

a) I downloaded the file WW_epaduser9_2_1_11UpdateLauncher.zip;
b) Unzipped it to the file ww_epad-user-9.2.1.11.zip and installed it at the microSD;
c) start up and see the small triangle in the bottom right corner of my screen, notifying a System Update File is Detected;
d) I touch to start to update and press OK;
e) It reboots and I see the status bar with a android and a box being unpacked for half a minute. All at a sudden it pops up the triangle with ! for 5 minutes.
It starts up again and displays that the following:
System Update Failed (12)
System is restored to previous configuration.

f) I have read somewhere that from 3.0.1 you cannot update to ICS in one step, only to Firmware 8.6. Maybe that is BS, but I gave it a try.
So I repeated all these steps with the mentioned firmware.
Negative.

g) That brought me deeper in despair so I tried the APX stuff.
No idea what it would do, but I did with caution, reading about bricking.

h) I Pressed Vol- and power, within 5 sec the Vol+ so I got the triangle ! with Android;
d) Now Vol+ and power for some 5 seconds and I get the black screen, which is APX mode, if I understand, and is good;
e) I plug in my cable and notice (after updaing my drivers) that I finally have my device in APX mode. I can see that it is in APX mode because if I want to remove it as an USB device, it says "APX mode".
f) I read about NVFlash and how happy this makes people. Not me I guess.
Anyhow, I installed it and followed one of these members advise how to do that.

Nothing works here, and I don't want to get brick issues.

Anyone who can advise me how to continue or what thread to follow?
I appreciate your input.

Note: If I could get CWM back at the same time that would be great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved for me

I was rooted....had removed bloat, frozen apps with TB....upgraded GMail to ICS version and changed font to ICS. -> update failed several times.

- reset - fail

so i downloaded official .33 firmware from Asus
    unzipped to SDCARD (external microSD).
    rebooted, holding down vol...then up when prompted.
    it failed to update...but when booted into HC, it notified me of an .33 update...i applied it.
    ALL bloat returned, fonts too....

ICS update worked after.

sooo...if you removed bloat, you can get it from ASUS. Go Asus.
    Read all instructions before beginning.

0. link a google account with your tablet if you have recently done a factory reset.

1. Extract the update zip on your computer.
    2. Find the zip file in the extracted folders.
    3. Copy that file to the root of your sd card.
    4. Reboot.... Zip file will be detected after reboot.
    5. . 33 update will install.

jfortier777 said:
    Just to be clear...

You are downloading UpdateLauncher_US_epaduser8_8_3_33.zip

at

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/#download

and extracting US_epad-user-8.8.3.33.zip

Then placing it in REMOVABLE/MICROSD/US_epad-user-8.8.3.33.zip

and then just reboot or wait for the system prompt and it will install .33

6. After reboot re root
    7. Then use root keeper to save root
    8. Install ics and enjoy.
    9. Once done use root keeper to gain root again
    10. Use root checker to verify

Thanks to everyone who helped sort this out and make sense of it.
    I never new bloatware could be so dangerous.

DO NOT DELETE BLOATWARE IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE OTA UPDATES IN THE FUTURE

Damn OP for making me think that unrooted people are also having update problems. I was panicking when I read through the first pages of this thread.
    Nothing to worry about when you don't root and don't delete system apps.

My sincere apologies. *I did not want to garner any undue hostility to jcase or viperboy as the Root process was not at fault in any way.

It was only what we all happened to do once we had it. (deleting bloatware)

If you arent sure where the update goes after all this...

Aw4Kg.jpg

Below maintained for archive only:

3 attempts so far and each time after the firmware downloads and the prime reboots, right after the Android with the gears shows up he turns into an android with an exclamation mark.

Then after a 5 minute boot I get a system message that says:

zuPpTl.png

Post here if you failed too, and solutions you have.

Attempts:
    first - Device was nachorooted, root backed up via OTA rootkeeper. FAILED

second - with root disabled via OTA rootkeeper FAILED

third - removed root via viperboy's tool FAILED

fourth - factory reset then update FAILED

fifth - just going to repeat the stock attempts until something looks different
    OP updated to a HOW TO and directions added in idiot/me-proof terms.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed, I'm gonna go drown in ice cream now.
    sorry forgot to mention that was my 3rd attempt

i'm on #4 now just doing a factory reset first.