[GUIDE] STEP-BY-STEP Instructions to Install Monthly OTA updates on Rooted Essential

Search This thread

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
[GUIDE] NOOB-Friendly STEP-BY-STEP Instructions to Install Monthly OTA updates on Rooted Essential PH-1

Introduction: I know there are many threads already posted that answer how to install OTA on rooted devices but unfortunately they get lost in massive threads that are often not NOOB friendly. I do not claim to be an expert but I have spent a long time reading threads and found the method I will detail below the easiest for me to follow on a monthly basis. I will do my best to give credit where credit is due to the original authors but my apologies in advance if I miss anything.
Just to start the prerequisites I have are a Windows 10 PC, Essential PH-1, with Stock OS and stock unlocked Bootloader. I have tried using TWRP in the past but I found this method simpler. I don't know whether my instructions will work for you or not if you already have TWRP installed but I can let one of the experts respond and I will be happy to update the guide based on feedback.

Part 1 - Downloads
Start by downloading the following items and storing them locally on your PC if you don't have them already
  1. Download the latest OTA Monthly build from here: https://www.essential.com/developer/current-builds Note: Just check off that you are looking for "Current Builds" and click "Submit Form" and then click "Download (OTA)" link beneath the newest release you want.
  2. Download the newest stock boot image here from bmg1001's google drive Credit:bmg1001
  3. (FIRST TIME ONLY) Download and install the Windows driver (if you don't already have on your computer) from here: https://storage.googleapis.com/essential-static/Essential-PH1-WindowsDrivers.exe
  4. (FIRST TIME ONLY) Download ADB tool (if you don't have already on your computer) from here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html This link is directly from Essentials site here in their "Before Sideloading" section it is the link entitled "You'll need the latest ADB tool"

To continue you must have developer options USB Debugging enabled which I presume was already done previously if your phone is rooted but if not you must do so before proceeding.
To Enable Developer Options: Settings App> System> About Phone> Scroll Down to Bottom and tap 7 times on the "Build Number"
To Enable USB Debugging: Settings App> Developer Options> USB Debugging (Set to Enabled)

Part 2 - Sideload the OTA Update
DISCLAIMER: This method if done properly should not wipe any of your data, however I take no responsibility and it is always advisable to back up your data before proceeding with any updates if you wish. I will be honest that I have now done this several times and never had any issues.
  1. Unzip the ADB tool (link above in downloads section is for "platform-tools") and save it to a folder easily accesible on your computer (for this demonstration I will use "C:\platform-tools")
  2. Copy the OTA update file to your ADB folder i.e. "C:\platform-tools" and rename it "OTAupdate.zip" (it is not necessary to rename it, just makes this simpler for the guide)
  3. Verify the checksum of the image. I use hashtab which allows you to right click on any file and click properties and see the hashes as a tab in the properties menu. The SHA-256 is listed right under the OTA download link just copy and paste it in to the hashtab to verify
  4. Remove your PIN / Password before sideloading by going to Settings> Security & Location> Screen Lock> Set it to None (this probably isn't necessary I just do it as a precaution)
  5. Plug Essential Phone into computer and make sure that it says USB Debugging Enabled
  6. Open the folder "C:\platform-tools" in Windows File Explorer and hold shift and right click in the window and you select the option "Open Powershell window here" from the context menu (works in Windows 10 can't speak for earlier Windows versions). If you don't see it the first time Shift+right click on a different part of the empty white window and you should see it appear.
  7. Verify your device is properly connected by typing
    Code:
    adb devices
    and you should see your device listed
  8. Type
    Code:
     adb reboot recovery
    Note:If you're unable to use ADB to reboot into recovery, you can use the key combination for your device. While device is off to boot into Recovery mode, press and hold Volume-Up button while pushing Power button to boot.
  9. Your device is now in Recovery mode. An Android logo with red exclamation mark should appear on screen. Hold the Power button, then press the Volume-Up button one time. When the menu appears, select Apply update from ADB.
  10. Run the following command:
    Code:
    adb devices
    Then check that your device shows up with “sideload” next to its name
  11. Run the following command:
    Code:
    adb sideload OTAupdate.zip
    where OTAupdate.zip is the name of the file you downloaded and verified
  12. Once the update finishes, select Reboot system now to reboot your phone

At this point you should have a stock updated essential device but without root. The remainder of this guide will use Magisk to restore your device to root.

Part 3 - Re-root your Device with Magisk
  1. Copy newest boot image from here that you downloaded earlier to a folder directly on your phone. I personally put it in my "Download" folder on my phone so I can find it easily
  2. Open Magisk Manager and click Install>Install>Patch Boot Image
  3. Select the boot image from step 1 and then let Magisk proceed in creating a patched image file
  4. Copy the file "magisk_patched.img" file that Magisk just created from your device back to the computer and put it in the ADB folder "C:\platform-tools"
  5. Plug in phone and open powershell same as before (shift+ right click> Open Powershell window here)
  6. Type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    to reboot your phone into fastboot
  7. Confirm your phone is in fastboot by typing
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    Then check that your device shows up with “fastboot” next to its name
  8. Execute the command
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
  9. Restart your phone and you are done! Don't forget to put your phone PIN/Password back if you disabled security in the earlier step.

You should now have a successfully updated phone with full ROOT access with Magisk. I know that this guide seems like a lot of steps but it really goes very quickly, I just tried to be detailed and NOOB-Friendly.

Hope this helps all of my fellow XDA members!! Please share any and all feedback. Thanks!

Full credit goes to this thread for helping me with everything: [GUIDE] Rooting your Essential PH-1

Last edited:

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
The way I do *updates* is different (not the initial TWRP/ root).

I use the same Essential developer link as in part 1-1. I also have a copy of twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0 zip file on my device.

Boot to TWRP, and do a complete nandroid.

Then install the OTA file just like it's any other zip and when it's done, install the twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0 zip file. You can simply put them both into the flash queue before starting the flash.

This TWRP installer will install to both slots ensuring that the inactive slot has it installed. Wipe dalvik and then reboot to system which will be in the opposite slot from the one you started at.

The OTA will always flash to the inactive slot and the bootloader will switch to the slot the OTA was flashed to.

The initial boot takes a few minutes. Once I verify the ROM boots correctly, then I reboot to TWRP and flash Magisk. This ensures that Magisk get installed to the same slot that is now active.

I agree it's safer to remove screen pin, so far I have gotten away with never remembering to do that [emoji16]

If the flash fails, the bootloader should just switch you back to the original slot. I would expect that to boot fine, with one exception... The bootloader was changed between 8.1.1 and 9.0. So if you are going between major versions, the original slot will bootloop after the update.

One more note, a pet peeve of mine; when referencing a post that is older, make sure that you review the forums for changes. TWRP might have a required newer release, the methods that once worked may no longer work. If you are not sure or comfortable recovering, then don't be an early adopter. [emoji6]

"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini

andypiznti

May 8, 2011

I use the same Essential developer link as in part 1-1. I also have a copy of twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0 zip file on my device.

Then install the OTA file just like it's any other zip and when it's done, install the twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0 zip file. You can simply put them both into the flash queue before starting the flash.

This TWRP installer will install to both slots ensuring that the inactive slot has it installed. Wipe dalvik and then reboot to system which will be in the opposite slot from the one you started at.

The OTA will always flash to the inactive slot and the bootloader will switch to the slot the OTA was flashed to.

The initial boot takes a few minutes. Once I verify the ROM boots correctly, then I reboot to TWRP and flash Magisk. This ensures that Magisk get installed to the same slot that is now active.

I agree it's safer to remove screen pin, so far I have gotten away with never remembering to do that [emoji16]

If the flash fails, the bootloader should just switch you back to the original slot. I would expect that to boot fine, with one exception... The bootloader was changed between 8.1.1 and 9.0. So if you are going between major versions, the original slot will bootloop after the update.

One more note, a pet peeve of mine; when referencing a post that is older, make sure that you review the forums for changes. TWRP might have a required newer release, the methods that once worked may no longer work. If you are not sure or comfortable recovering, then don't be an early adopter. [emoji6]

"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini

you know i just finished writing my own guide to do it after i had trouble with the sticky posts. for me, magisk couldnt find the stock boot so i had to pretty much redo it. i did most things with back-to-stock and fastboot. but now i really wanna try your method through twrp. i been using the patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img images which have twrp and magisk in the same image. using your method, in twrp, could i flash the ota, the patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img, switch slots in twrp, flash patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img again, then switch back to the original slot and reboot system? thanks!

this thread has the patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img images
https://forum.xda-developers.com/essential-phone/development/stock-7-1-1-nmj20d-t3701681

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
@andypiznti

There's no need to manually switch slots. And no reason to flash the TWRP *installer* file twice. The first time it runs, it patches both slots.

IMHO, trying to control slots is what gets people into trouble.

I do pay attention to what slot I'm on before I start though. In TWRP, if you go to the reboot menu, it will tell you. But the way I flash, I stay on the slot I started with. The OTA will always flash to the opposite slot - which should be the inactive slot. Flashing the TWRP *installer* file just once, patches both slots.

Just wipe dalvik (and cache but there is no cache partition so it will error - just ignore the error) then reboot to system like we've done after custom ROMs for years.

The next boot, the bootloader knows to switch to the slot with the newest OS.

After a successful boot, when you return to TWRP, you'll see the slot is the opposite one from when you started. But you didn't need to do any slot switching.

Don't force things. Let the slots take care of themselves.

I also think, there is less likely to be trouble with Magisk and the boot.img, if you boot fully after an update, before returning to recovery to flash Magisk. Remember that both TWRP and Magisk are making changes to the boot.img.

Final thought, unless I seriously misunderstand Magisk, if you rooted using an all-in-one boot.img you won't have a back up of the "stock" boot.img to restore, making the Magisk uninstaller useless. The backup made when installing Magisk is stored on the data partition, not the boot partition. This is why the instructions in BTS tell you to flash the stock boot.img and provide a copy of it.

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
The beauty of my method in the OP is you don't need to worry at all about the correct "slots" like you have to with TWRP...

Reactions: ipdev

andypiznti

May 8, 2011
@andypiznti

I also think, there is less likely to be trouble with Magisk and the boot.img, if you boot fully after an update, before returning to recovery to flash Magisk. Remember that both TWRP and Magisk are making changes to the boot.img.

Final thought, unless I seriously misunderstand Magisk, if you rooted using an all-in-one boot.img you won't have a back up of the "stock" boot.img to restore, making the Magisk uninstaller useless. The backup made when installing Magisk is stored on the data partition, not the boot partition. This is why the instructions in BTS tell you to flash the stock boot.img and provide a copy of it.

ok that answers a lot. thanks! the guide i made for myself had me flashing the stock image with bts. i was curious about the full boot after an update, i was thinking the same thing in that it might cause problems with magisk, but i also thought twrp would cause problems too. the reason i mentioned switching slots and flashing is the all-in-one img only flashes to one slot at a time, i believe.

heres my guide for reference, its kinda long. but these were the exact steps i followed and was successful. had to flash the img twice, kept rebooting into recovery if i didnt.
Applying OTA for Essential Phone when Magisk doesn't have stock boot

Boot to recovery with Magisk
Back up at least system and boot
Boot to bootloader with TWRP
Extract back to stock (BTS) for CURRENT INSTALLED VERSION, not the update BTS version
Once in bootloader, connect phone->old phone plug, SSD plug
Run flashallnowipe.bat, once bootloader reboots, select Start, unplug phone
Uninstall Magisk like a regular app
Do OTA->settings->advanced->system update
after reboot->reboot while holding volume down until in download/fastboot mode
***REMEMBER!! Flash on the opposite slot of the current slot
***so if im on slot a, flash slot b.
make sure to extract Essential_ADB_and_FASTBOOT.zip in BTS folder then->cmd-here.exe
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot flash boot_a dec_patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img
fastboot flash boot_b dec_patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img
***Switch to other slot
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot --set-active=b
***Just to double check, REMEMBER!! Flash on the opposite slot of the current slot
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot flash boot_a dec_patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img
fastboot flash boot_b dec_patched_twrp_magisk_stock.img
***Switch back to orig slot
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot --set-active=b

On the phone fastboot menu, select Start, unplug phone
Manager asks if you wanna install it, no, it downloads the wrong one, maybe works now?
Install Magisk Manager->https://github.com/ianmacd/MagiskBuilds
IT HAS TO BE THIS APK, Download any apk version from above github, install
when you open Manager, then download the newest apk, dont update image
Manager and Image update daily, ignore till next month OTA

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
The beauty of my method in the OP is you don't need to worry at all about the correct "slots" like you have to with TWRP...
I don't know what more I could do to make the point it's not necessary to worry about slots in TWRP.

@andypiznti. The all-in-one is Fastboot flashed to either slot one at a time. All of this makes life harder than it needs to be.

My post was suggesting an alternative. Use the OTA, no Fastboot, no PC just have the TWRP installer file I linked so you don't lose TWRP.

Last edited:

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
I don't know what more I could do to make the point it's not necessary to work about slots in TWRP.
Well, all of your posts describing your method contains the word "slot" multiple times so it is obviously a relevant concern otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. My post did not contain the word even once...

I see no need to use TWRP. What advantage does it have?

andypiznti

May 8, 2011
I don't know what more I could do to make the point it's not necessary to worry about slots in TWRP.

@andypiznti. The all-in-one is Fastboot flashed to either slot one at a time. All of this makes life harder than it needs to be.

My post was suggesting an alternative. Use the OTA, no Fastboot, no PC just have the TWRP installer file I linked so you don't lose TWRP.

oh yes, definitely doing that next time. thanks!! i found this post thats exactly your method in a little less words. :)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/es...1-1-nmj20d-t3701681/post78194778#post78194778

kma_29

Jul 1, 2014
Riga
January update is out, who might like to patch boot.img with TWRP and Magisk?

Last edited:

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
OP, if you want to avoid having to sideload the whole OTA, you can have it done directly by your phone by flashing the stock boot image for the current version that you are one and then updating from the settings (or notification). Then just continue with flashing the rooted boot image for the new update. I feel like that is safer than both TWRP and sideloading the full OTA (in reference to keeping data safe).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76828139&postcount=1264

Last edited:
Reactions: hssxda

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
OP, if you want to avoid having to sideload the whole OTA, you can have it done directly by your phone by flashing the stock boot image for the current version that you are one and then updating from the settings (or notification). Then just continue with flashing the rooted boot image for the new update. I feel like that is safer than both TWRP and sideloading the full OTA (in reference to keeping data safe).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76828139&postcount=1264

Thanks

jionny

Aug 23, 2013
@bmg1001 are you still providing the stock boot images on your google drive. I am looking for the Feb stock boot image or can someone tell me how to get it. I tried extracting from the Feb OTA but did not see it listed in that zip

bmg1001

Mar 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
@bmg1001 are you still providing the stock boot images on your google drive. I am looking for the Feb stock boot image or can someone tell me how to get it. I tried extracting from the Feb OTA but did not see it listed in that zip

Yep, I have it in the same Google Drive folder where the other month's images are posted.

Reactions: jionny and kpirnie

jionny

Aug 23, 2013
Yep, I have it in the same Google Drive folder where the other month's images are posted.

Hi one more thing, this is my third time updating and rooting via this method. The last two times worked flawlessly however this time I did update the OTA but when I try to reroot and go to adb devices I see my phone listed then when I reboot recovery it does however when I try fastboot devices my phone does not show and nothing happens, any help will be appreciated

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] NOOB-Friendly STEP-BY-STEP Instructions to Install Monthly OTA updates on Rooted Essential PH-1

Introduction: I know there are many threads already posted that answer how to install OTA on rooted devices but unfortunately they get lost in massive threads that are often not NOOB friendly. I do not claim to be an expert but I have spent a long time reading threads and found the method I will detail below the easiest for me to follow on a monthly basis. I will do my best to give credit where credit is due to the original authors but my apologies in advance if I miss anything.
    Just to start the prerequisites I have are a Windows 10 PC, Essential PH-1, with Stock OS and stock unlocked Bootloader. I have tried using TWRP in the past but I found this method simpler. I don't know whether my instructions will work for you or not if you already have TWRP installed but I can let one of the experts respond and I will be happy to update the guide based on feedback.

Part 1 - Downloads
    Start by downloading the following items and storing them locally on your PC if you don't have them already
    1. Download the latest OTA Monthly build from here: https://www.essential.com/developer/current-builds Note: Just check off that you are looking for "Current Builds" and click "Submit Form" and then click "Download (OTA)" link beneath the newest release you want.
    2. Download the newest stock boot image here from bmg1001's google drive Credit:bmg1001
    3. (FIRST TIME ONLY) Download and install the Windows driver (if you don't already have on your computer) from here: https://storage.googleapis.com/essential-static/Essential-PH1-WindowsDrivers.exe
    4. (FIRST TIME ONLY) Download ADB tool (if you don't have already on your computer) from here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html This link is directly from Essentials site here in their "Before Sideloading" section it is the link entitled "You'll need the latest ADB tool"

To continue you must have developer options USB Debugging enabled which I presume was already done previously if your phone is rooted but if not you must do so before proceeding.
    To Enable Developer Options: Settings App> System> About Phone> Scroll Down to Bottom and tap 7 times on the "Build Number"
    To Enable USB Debugging: Settings App> Developer Options> USB Debugging (Set to Enabled)

Part 2 - Sideload the OTA Update
    DISCLAIMER: This method if done properly should not wipe any of your data, however I take no responsibility and it is always advisable to back up your data before proceeding with any updates if you wish. I will be honest that I have now done this several times and never had any issues.
    1. Unzip the ADB tool (link above in downloads section is for "platform-tools") and save it to a folder easily accesible on your computer (for this demonstration I will use "C:\platform-tools")
    2. Copy the OTA update file to your ADB folder i.e. "C:\platform-tools" and rename it "OTAupdate.zip" (it is not necessary to rename it, just makes this simpler for the guide)
    3. Verify the checksum of the image. I use hashtab which allows you to right click on any file and click properties and see the hashes as a tab in the properties menu. The SHA-256 is listed right under the OTA download link just copy and paste it in to the hashtab to verify
    4. Remove your PIN / Password before sideloading by going to Settings> Security & Location> Screen Lock> Set it to None (this probably isn't necessary I just do it as a precaution)
    5. Plug Essential Phone into computer and make sure that it says USB Debugging Enabled
    6. Open the folder "C:\platform-tools" in Windows File Explorer and hold shift and right click in the window and you select the option "Open Powershell window here" from the context menu (works in Windows 10 can't speak for earlier Windows versions). If you don't see it the first time Shift+right click on a different part of the empty white window and you should see it appear.
    7. Verify your device is properly connected by typing
      Code:
      adb devices
      and you should see your device listed
    8. Type
      Code:
       adb reboot recovery
      Note:If you're unable to use ADB to reboot into recovery, you can use the key combination for your device. While device is off to boot into Recovery mode, press and hold Volume-Up button while pushing Power button to boot.
    9. Your device is now in Recovery mode. An Android logo with red exclamation mark should appear on screen. Hold the Power button, then press the Volume-Up button one time. When the menu appears, select Apply update from ADB.
    10. Run the following command:
      Code:
      adb devices
      Then check that your device shows up with “sideload” next to its name
    11. Run the following command:
      Code:
      adb sideload OTAupdate.zip
      where OTAupdate.zip is the name of the file you downloaded and verified
    12. Once the update finishes, select Reboot system now to reboot your phone

At this point you should have a stock updated essential device but without root. The remainder of this guide will use Magisk to restore your device to root.

Part 3 - Re-root your Device with Magisk
    1. Copy newest boot image from here that you downloaded earlier to a folder directly on your phone. I personally put it in my "Download" folder on my phone so I can find it easily
    2. Open Magisk Manager and click Install>Install>Patch Boot Image
    3. Select the boot image from step 1 and then let Magisk proceed in creating a patched image file
    4. Copy the file "magisk_patched.img" file that Magisk just created from your device back to the computer and put it in the ADB folder "C:\platform-tools"
    5. Plug in phone and open powershell same as before (shift+ right click> Open Powershell window here)
    6. Type
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      to reboot your phone into fastboot
    7. Confirm your phone is in fastboot by typing
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      Then check that your device shows up with “fastboot” next to its name
    8. Execute the command
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    9. Restart your phone and you are done! Don't forget to put your phone PIN/Password back if you disabled security in the earlier step.

You should now have a successfully updated phone with full ROOT access with Magisk. I know that this guide seems like a lot of steps but it really goes very quickly, I just tried to be detailed and NOOB-Friendly.

Hope this helps all of my fellow XDA members!! Please share any and all feedback. Thanks!

Full credit goes to this thread for helping me with everything: [GUIDE] Rooting your Essential PH-1

@andypiznti

There's no need to manually switch slots. And no reason to flash the TWRP *installer* file twice. The first time it runs, it patches both slots.

IMHO, trying to control slots is what gets people into trouble.

I do pay attention to what slot I'm on before I start though. In TWRP, if you go to the reboot menu, it will tell you. But the way I flash, I stay on the slot I started with. The OTA will always flash to the opposite slot - which should be the inactive slot. Flashing the TWRP *installer* file just once, patches both slots.

Just wipe dalvik (and cache but there is no cache partition so it will error - just ignore the error) then reboot to system like we've done after custom ROMs for years.

The next boot, the bootloader knows to switch to the slot with the newest OS.

After a successful boot, when you return to TWRP, you'll see the slot is the opposite one from when you started. But you didn't need to do any slot switching.

Don't force things. Let the slots take care of themselves.

Updated to 10 using these instructions without any issues. You do need to have Magisk's canary channel for root, but you can dl and install after the first system boot.