[Guide][STOCK] How download latest fastboot firmware with Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant

Search This thread

Akipe

Mar 31, 2017
Paris
This guide show you how to download latest fastboot images from your device from the official servers, using the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant software.

If you find mistakes or you do not understand sentences, tell me.

Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant (LMSA) allow you to perform various actions on your phone, such as installing the latest update of the manufacturer, perform backups / restores, manage files stored on the phone... But I recommend to do this actions only if your phone runs the official stock ROM.

Another nice feature of LMSA is that you can download and reinstall the official ROM in case of system corruption. To do this, the software downloads the ROM in fastboot version : then you can take it.

Requirements
- Be able to start your phone in fastboot mode.
- Have the phone's USB port functional + a functional USB cable.
- Have a computer running on Windows 7 - 10 (later version need test, if ok let me know)
- Have internet on your computer

Method
0) Download and install if this is not done yet the USB drivers for Moto G5 fastboot mode (https://support.motorola.com/in/en/drivers)
1) Download and install LMSA from Lenovo's website (https://support.lenovo.com/pl/en/downloads/DS101291)
2) Launch LMSA, click on the "Flash" menu at the top left of the window, and click on "Go Rescue" at the bottom right.
uc

uc

3) Then you will have to select your phone. For the Moto G5, select first at the top "Moto Phone", then below "Moto G5", and then the model of your phone. If you do not know it, watch step 4a. Otherwise, when you plug your phone into fastboot mode, LMSA "should" automatically find the model, but it's safer to choose it manually "just in case".
uc

4) Start/restart your phone in fastboot mode. For the Moto G5, press the start button and at the same time keep pressing the "volume minus" button until you reach the fastboot. If your phone boots to your ROM, repeat this step.
4a) To know the model of your phone, look at the line "Product / Variant" on the fastboot screen, just after "cedric" there should be the model version (XT1670, XT1671, XT1672, XT1675, XT1676 or XT1677).
5) Connect the phone. LMSA should propose you the latest fastboot image available: Just click on the icon next to the image, on the right, to download it.
uc

6) Once the download is complete, a folder containing all the files of the fastboot image is available in the folder :
C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles (default folder)

Et voilà!

If something wrong
1) Repeat the steps meticulously
2) Be sure to connect the phone only at the end and in fastboot mode
3) Verify that the Motorola USB drivers are correctly installed. To do this, go to the device manager (Press the Windows + R key, write "devmgmt.msc" and press OK). If your screen looks like the first image, the drivers are properly installed.
uc

If your screen looks like the second image, you will need to reinstall the drivers and/or restart your computer.
uc

1) Restart the computer after installing the drivers and LMSA. I already had bug with LMSA that were resolved after a reboot.
1) If it still does not work, please indicate it in the thread. To help you as well as possible, please provide as much information as possible: the version of Windows, the model of your phone, is it root / unblocked, do you use the ROM stock or not, the ROM name...

Note
LMSA automatically decompresses the fastboot image, so if you want to share the image on the internet, it is recommended to re-zip all the files (with 7-Zip for example).

License
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
You are free and encouraged to use, share, adapt this guide. Just do not forget to indicate that I am the author (thank you! :) :good:).

Last edited:

takoa

Jun 4, 2009
mAdRiD
it says " Device is not supported" although i have a moto g5 XT 1676 Whit unlock bootloader

freeZbies

Dec 2, 2013
LMSA is, IMHO, just a pile of junk. It never detects my phone in the Flash/Upgrade sessions. Apart of that the backup function doesn't work, file manager can only copy files (not folders) and only one at a time afaik.

fastboot and adb alone seemed far more usable to me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide show you how to download latest fastboot images from your device from the official servers, using the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant software.

If you find mistakes or you do not understand sentences, tell me.

Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant (LMSA) allow you to perform various actions on your phone, such as installing the latest update of the manufacturer, perform backups / restores, manage files stored on the phone... But I recommend to do this actions only if your phone runs the official stock ROM.

Another nice feature of LMSA is that you can download and reinstall the official ROM in case of system corruption. To do this, the software downloads the ROM in fastboot version : then you can take it.

Requirements
    - Be able to start your phone in fastboot mode.
    - Have the phone's USB port functional + a functional USB cable.
    - Have a computer running on Windows 7 - 10 (later version need test, if ok let me know)
    - Have internet on your computer

Method
    0) Download and install if this is not done yet the USB drivers for Moto G5 fastboot mode (https://support.motorola.com/in/en/drivers)
    1) Download and install LMSA from Lenovo's website (https://support.lenovo.com/pl/en/downloads/DS101291)
    2) Launch LMSA, click on the "Flash" menu at the top left of the window, and click on "Go Rescue" at the bottom right.
    uc

uc

3) Then you will have to select your phone. For the Moto G5, select first at the top "Moto Phone", then below "Moto G5", and then the model of your phone. If you do not know it, watch step 4a. Otherwise, when you plug your phone into fastboot mode, LMSA "should" automatically find the model, but it's safer to choose it manually "just in case".
    uc

4) Start/restart your phone in fastboot mode. For the Moto G5, press the start button and at the same time keep pressing the "volume minus" button until you reach the fastboot. If your phone boots to your ROM, repeat this step.
    4a) To know the model of your phone, look at the line "Product / Variant" on the fastboot screen, just after "cedric" there should be the model version (XT1670, XT1671, XT1672, XT1675, XT1676 or XT1677).
    5) Connect the phone. LMSA should propose you the latest fastboot image available: Just click on the icon next to the image, on the right, to download it.
    uc

6) Once the download is complete, a folder containing all the files of the fastboot image is available in the folder :
    C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles (default folder)

Et voilà!

If something wrong
    1) Repeat the steps meticulously
    2) Be sure to connect the phone only at the end and in fastboot mode
    3) Verify that the Motorola USB drivers are correctly installed. To do this, go to the device manager (Press the Windows + R key, write "devmgmt.msc" and press OK). If your screen looks like the first image, the drivers are properly installed.
    uc

If your screen looks like the second image, you will need to reinstall the drivers and/or restart your computer.
    uc

1) Restart the computer after installing the drivers and LMSA. I already had bug with LMSA that were resolved after a reboot.
    1) If it still does not work, please indicate it in the thread. To help you as well as possible, please provide as much information as possible: the version of Windows, the model of your phone, is it root / unblocked, do you use the ROM stock or not, the ROM name...

Note
    LMSA automatically decompresses the fastboot image, so if you want to share the image on the internet, it is recommended to re-zip all the files (with 7-Zip for example).

License
    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
    You are free and encouraged to use, share, adapt this guide. Just do not forget to indicate that I am the author (thank you! :) :good:).