• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] T-Mobile OP 7 Pro, Flash Firmware - Unlock Bootloader - TWRP & ROOT

Search This thread
Nov 21, 2011
North Ogden
diau.net
Greetings, and a brief disclaimer;

--Disclaimer--
I am not responsible if you lose data or your device grows legs and runs away from you...
by following any of the instructions in this post, you take sole responsibility whatever happens to you or your device and any one else involved.

--Throughout this process we will be continuously wiping the device.--
--This tutorial flashes the International Firmware, you will not be running T-Mobiles Firmware.--
--If you want T-Mobiles Firmware this is not for you.--

---------------

Greetings fellow T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro Users and Developers!
I am excited after much frustration and beating my head against the wall, screaming profanities at T-Mobile & OnePlus for locking down this amazing phone.
Me and my Friend have FINALLY found out how to Bootloader Unlock, TWRP and ROOT the OnePlus 7 Pro from T-Mobile!

I know this is a longer guide, but that is because there were quite a few steps for the T-Mobile variant. A few snags were hit with the T-Mobile variant so that's why this guide is so lengthy.

The extra benefit of this guide is:
* You will have the DUAL SIM feature working. - I can confirm as I have placed two SIM's in the device and switched between them, T-Mobile disabled one of the OP 7 Pro SIM Slots, but with the Firmware Flash you get it back, I find that Flashing to International Firmware an important step as your getting a major feature of the device back. --Though you will need to buy a Dual SIM tray if you want to use two SIM's, this is where I bought mine: OnePlus 7 Pro DUAL SIM Tray
* You will get working Sound, if you go straight to Android Q from the flash and install TWRP * Magisk you will have audio issues. - I didn't think to test what else went wrong, but that I know did.
* DRM is working, I can stream Netflix content.
* Audio Fixes and Camera Features appear and sound great.
* I have not had stability issues such as crashes, reboot or other unwanted.
* WiFi, Bluetooth, DUAL GSM Radio's working properly.
* You can switch between the services of both SIM's properly via the pulldown menu, as well you can set up SIM defaults for particular actions.
* T-Mobiles VoLTE is working, as is VoWiFi. - Nice if your like me and live primarily in a basement apartment and get crap signal.
* You will not need to get T-Mobile's stupid Bootloader Unlock Token (BUT), that can take upwards of two weeks to get, to unlock the bootloader with this method. -- Skip the line, Yes please! I like skipping past BUT's.

--What you need to do first!--
You MUST get your phone Permanently CARRIER UNLOCKED BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANYTHING HERE!!!
----

--GUIDE--
1. I applied T-Mobiles: (9.5.9 Security Patch) I saw and installed it on July 23rd 2019 - This was needed in order to get the Flashing tool to work as it would get stuck on Param because without that patch the EDL would not allow the tool to flash the OnePlus 7 Pro.

2. I enabled ADB Debugging and used: TOOL ALL IN ONE to install my OnePlus 7 Pro Drivers, I also enabled Advanced Reboot in Developer Options.
2a. If you don't know how to enable Developer Options or ADB Debugging & Advanced Reboot here is how...
2b. Go into Settings, About Phone, TAP Build Number until it pops up that you are a developer (if you have a password/fingerprint set up it will ask you to put it in.).
2c. Go to Settings, System, Advanced Options, Developer Options.
2d. Enable, Advanced Reboot, USB Debugging.

3. I followed the Tutorial on this link to install the International Firmware (WARNING THIS WILL WIPE YOUR Phones DATA!!!): [GUIDE]How to convert TMobile OP7 to International.

4. I then updated the phone through the phones OTA updater via Settings, System, System Updates all the way until it had no more updates. ( If we installed Android Q before this we found that the speaker had issues during a Google Duo call. So something about how this all stacks and builds up together breaks if you don't do this in order.)

5. We then downloaded and placed: Android Q Beta onto the root of the OnePlus 7 Pro storage.

5a I went to Settings, System, System Update, Options, Local Upgrade.
5b If you have the Android Q firmware in the right place you will get that as an option to flash, once it's done click the button to reboot.

6. Unlocking the Bootloader.
6a. Enable Developer Options.
6b. Now we enable OEM Unlocking, and Advanced Reboot if not already. ( If you did not previously get your device Permanently SIM Unlocked you will not be able to enable OEM Unlocking, and you will be stuck unless you flash back to T-Mobile's Firmware and use their proprietary SIM Unlock APP. ).
6c. Press power button and reboot to Bootloader.
6d. Run the command ( fastboot oem unlock ). It should ask you on the phones screen if you want to, say yes.
6e. Run the command ( fastboot oem device-info ). Check to see if the bootloader unlock is True or False, True is expected. If False unlock the bootloader via other methods.

7. Booting TWRP & Flashing TWIRP + Magisk.
This was a bit tricky as the existing tutorials did not work with my device and I had to add a step.
First get the TWRP.IMG & TWRP Installer ZIP files ready as well grab Magisk by downloading them here: Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for OnePlus 7 Pro. & Magisk
7a. Run the command ( fastboot boot TWRP.IMG ) The phone should then boot into what looks like full TWRP, well sorta, it's not really installed yet.
7b. If 7a fails as it did with me Run the Command ( fastboot set_active b ) then try 7a command again, if that fails as well run ( fastboot set_active a ). and repeat.
7c. Once you have booted TWRP put the TWRP installer ZIP on the phone in the root directory.
7d. Now we get the Magisk installer zip on the root of the phone as well.
7e. Now we install TWRP installer ZIP first then Magisk installer ZIP.

Reboot - Enjoy and install custom ROMs & Kernels!

Last edited:

kevnfl77

Apr 5, 2010
Tampa
Smart Watches
OnePlus 8
<Mod edit - quoted OP removed>

I get the failed message you talk about in step 7b. When I try to run the commands "fastboot set_active b" it doesn't recognize that command or the other to set to a. I'm stuck not being able to install TWRP and proceed to root. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta

I get the failed message you talk about in step 7b. When I try to run the commands "fastboot set_active b" it doesn't recognize that command or the other to set to a. I'm stuck not being able to install TWRP and proceed to root. Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue, though I didnt carrier unlock my phone. Have you done that?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

@Inductive Soul would appreciate any feedback you might have regarding this. I followed the process using the Q Preview 3

Nov 21, 2011
North Ogden
diau.net
Correct you need to first flash to international version. Then use this guide.

Tool ALL in one does not work anymore with this phone. - I recommend you do not use this method any more as its method I used will no longer work.

If anybody comes here looking to root, this guide does not work. You need to follow the guide to convert to international

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2011
North Ogden
diau.net

Yes, change it back and forth (Your goal is to get Fastboot Boot TWRP.IMg to boot.... so switch your active... A-B partition with step 7b and try 7a again on each partition.... a and b. one or the other will work depending on what partition is currently active.):

7A: fastboot boot TWRP.IMG
7B: fastboot set_active a - to - fastboot set_active b

Nov 21, 2011
North Ogden
diau.net
I was wondering if network bands change after flashing to international rom. Will it continue to be NA region or will it change?

My experience has been that all the existing bands have worked the same... I have continued to connect to T-Mobile's 600 + 700 Mhz spectrum.
I have been running the International Firmware since the initial posting of this guide.

mexiken

Apr 2, 2008
Los Angeles
Just got this phone today, and I just want to make sure I'm clear. If I go through these steps, I'll be on Q DP3, but I don't need to go through the waiting period via T-Mobile (I bought my phone outright) but after I get on DP3, can I then flash the International stock ROM and be good, or will I always have to use a custom ROM after doing these steps?? I saw somewhere that Bootloader unlocked is grayed out after you go to DP3 and then International ROMs. Thanks.

dhewave

Jul 19, 2021
Hi, On my T-Mobile O7pro
I tried the command
Fastboot boot TWRP.img
It replaced my stock boot image and now I can't boot again, even to the supposed TWRP recovery

I also switched partitions countless times and tried same process.

I'll appreciate if I get a feedback. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings, and a brief disclaimer;

--Disclaimer--
    I am not responsible if you lose data or your device grows legs and runs away from you...
    by following any of the instructions in this post, you take sole responsibility whatever happens to you or your device and any one else involved.

--Throughout this process we will be continuously wiping the device.--
    --This tutorial flashes the International Firmware, you will not be running T-Mobiles Firmware.--
    --If you want T-Mobiles Firmware this is not for you.--

---------------

Greetings fellow T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro Users and Developers!
    I am excited after much frustration and beating my head against the wall, screaming profanities at T-Mobile & OnePlus for locking down this amazing phone.
    Me and my Friend have FINALLY found out how to Bootloader Unlock, TWRP and ROOT the OnePlus 7 Pro from T-Mobile!

I know this is a longer guide, but that is because there were quite a few steps for the T-Mobile variant. A few snags were hit with the T-Mobile variant so that's why this guide is so lengthy.

The extra benefit of this guide is:
    * You will have the DUAL SIM feature working. - I can confirm as I have placed two SIM's in the device and switched between them, T-Mobile disabled one of the OP 7 Pro SIM Slots, but with the Firmware Flash you get it back, I find that Flashing to International Firmware an important step as your getting a major feature of the device back. --Though you will need to buy a Dual SIM tray if you want to use two SIM's, this is where I bought mine: OnePlus 7 Pro DUAL SIM Tray
    * You will get working Sound, if you go straight to Android Q from the flash and install TWRP * Magisk you will have audio issues. - I didn't think to test what else went wrong, but that I know did.
    * DRM is working, I can stream Netflix content.
    * Audio Fixes and Camera Features appear and sound great.
    * I have not had stability issues such as crashes, reboot or other unwanted.
    * WiFi, Bluetooth, DUAL GSM Radio's working properly.
    * You can switch between the services of both SIM's properly via the pulldown menu, as well you can set up SIM defaults for particular actions.
    * T-Mobiles VoLTE is working, as is VoWiFi. - Nice if your like me and live primarily in a basement apartment and get crap signal.
    * You will not need to get T-Mobile's stupid Bootloader Unlock Token (BUT), that can take upwards of two weeks to get, to unlock the bootloader with this method. -- Skip the line, Yes please! I like skipping past BUT's.

--What you need to do first!--
    You MUST get your phone Permanently CARRIER UNLOCKED BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANYTHING HERE!!!
    ----

--GUIDE--
    1. I applied T-Mobiles: (9.5.9 Security Patch) I saw and installed it on July 23rd 2019 - This was needed in order to get the Flashing tool to work as it would get stuck on Param because without that patch the EDL would not allow the tool to flash the OnePlus 7 Pro.

2. I enabled ADB Debugging and used: TOOL ALL IN ONE to install my OnePlus 7 Pro Drivers, I also enabled Advanced Reboot in Developer Options.
    2a. If you don't know how to enable Developer Options or ADB Debugging & Advanced Reboot here is how...
    2b. Go into Settings, About Phone, TAP Build Number until it pops up that you are a developer (if you have a password/fingerprint set up it will ask you to put it in.).
    2c. Go to Settings, System, Advanced Options, Developer Options.
    2d. Enable, Advanced Reboot, USB Debugging.

3. I followed the Tutorial on this link to install the International Firmware (WARNING THIS WILL WIPE YOUR Phones DATA!!!): [GUIDE]How to convert TMobile OP7 to International.

4. I then updated the phone through the phones OTA updater via Settings, System, System Updates all the way until it had no more updates. ( If we installed Android Q before this we found that the speaker had issues during a Google Duo call. So something about how this all stacks and builds up together breaks if you don't do this in order.)

5. We then downloaded and placed: Android Q Beta onto the root of the OnePlus 7 Pro storage.

5a I went to Settings, System, System Update, Options, Local Upgrade.
    5b If you have the Android Q firmware in the right place you will get that as an option to flash, once it's done click the button to reboot.

6. Unlocking the Bootloader.
    6a. Enable Developer Options.
    6b. Now we enable OEM Unlocking, and Advanced Reboot if not already. ( If you did not previously get your device Permanently SIM Unlocked you will not be able to enable OEM Unlocking, and you will be stuck unless you flash back to T-Mobile's Firmware and use their proprietary SIM Unlock APP. ).
    6c. Press power button and reboot to Bootloader.
    6d. Run the command ( fastboot oem unlock ). It should ask you on the phones screen if you want to, say yes.
    6e. Run the command ( fastboot oem device-info ). Check to see if the bootloader unlock is True or False, True is expected. If False unlock the bootloader via other methods.

7. Booting TWRP & Flashing TWIRP + Magisk.
    This was a bit tricky as the existing tutorials did not work with my device and I had to add a step.
    First get the TWRP.IMG & TWRP Installer ZIP files ready as well grab Magisk by downloading them here: Official/Unofficial TWRP recovery for OnePlus 7 Pro. & Magisk
    7a. Run the command ( fastboot boot TWRP.IMG ) The phone should then boot into what looks like full TWRP, well sorta, it's not really installed yet.
    7b. If 7a fails as it did with me Run the Command ( fastboot set_active b ) then try 7a command again, if that fails as well run ( fastboot set_active a ). and repeat.
    7c. Once you have booted TWRP put the TWRP installer ZIP on the phone in the root directory.
    7d. Now we get the Magisk installer zip on the root of the phone as well.
    7e. Now we install TWRP installer ZIP first then Magisk installer ZIP.

Reboot - Enjoy and install custom ROMs & Kernels!