[GUIDE] [TB-X606F] [Lenovo M10 Plus FHD] How to flash TWRP, Generic System Image (Android 11, Android 12), and Root with Magisk

Search This thread

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
OK Summary Time:

1) - what they mean is: Dirty Flash. Use your Stockrom/Backup/Freshinstall then Dirty Flash GSI on Top on that.
2) i did that with lineage-20.0-20221111-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgN-vndklite-secure.img or caos-v316-220321-arm64-bgZ.img & lineage-20.0-20221111-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgN-secure.img
but Sadly all i get is Bootscreen - So GSI gets booted but only wont Start.
3)forced Restart or delete cache/dalvik or factory reset won't change it. all i see is the bootanimation (waiting 15mins each time.... znoozefezt)

so again I do the Bernie Sanders and ask again for your help.... am I missing something?
Bro, not dirty flash, instead clean flash -install with the help of Lenovo software LMSA. It will erase everything. Then do the process again via adb and try to install bgN image.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buster99

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
OK Summary Time:

1) - what they mean is: Dirty Flash. Use your Stockrom/Backup/Freshinstall then Dirty Flash GSI on Top on that.
2) i did that with lineage-20.0-20221111-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgN-vndklite-secure.img or caos-v316-220321-arm64-bgZ.img & lineage-20.0-20221111-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgN-secure.img
but Sadly all i get is Bootscreen - So GSI gets booted but only wont Start.
3)forced Restart or delete cache/dalvik or factory reset won't change it. all i see is the bootanimation (waiting 15mins each time.... znoozefezt)

so again I do the Bernie Sanders and ask again for your help.... am I missing something?
Bro any news any update? Did you make the whole process again meaning a clean flash - installation?

`SBR`

Apr 5, 2010
NJ
Thanks for the Guide able to load LineageOS in X606V Tablet successfully..

yet to test all funtionality, so far working good.

smagcm

Jun 19, 2020
I have the exact same problem without the warning message... When CAOS 11 is installed and you want to reboot TWRP brings a message that OS is not installed do you want to reboot? I think if TWRP got a bug or we have downloaded the wrong custom ROM or we do something wrong mate... I scratch my head today to find a solution. I have tried to install arm64-bgZ
hi did you find a solution, because i have the same problem

smagcm

Jun 19, 2020
can someone take time to explain us how to install the custom rom after installed twrp

Buster99

ok... here it comes...

1 Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant - install and reset Tablet to latest version (reboot once then reboot into bootloader)

2 use linux ( since MTK Driver are ***** on windows) to "fastboot flash recovery twrp*.img & vbmeta & fastboot reboot recovery

3 in TWRP delete Data, dirtyflash CAOS GSI

4 Wait... and CAOS boots

5 Remarks:
CAOS does not work with Magisk (Tried it and CAOS would only bootlogo for ages) - Is there a nice working Root?
none of the others GSI will work

(I reset the tablet about 8 times to test it all out)

Cheers

Reactions: DerTeufel1980

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
ok... here it comes...

1 Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant - install and reset Tablet to latest version (reboot once then reboot into bootloader)

2 use linux ( since MTK Driver are ***** on windows) to "fastboot flash recovery twrp*.img & vbmeta & fastboot reboot recovery

3 in TWRP delete Data, dirtyflash CAOS GSI

4 Wait... and CAOS boots

5 Remarks:
CAOS does not work with Magisk (Tried it and CAOS would only bootlogo for ages) - Is there a nice working Root?
none of the others GSI will work

(I reset the tablet about 8 times to test it all out)

Cheers
I have tried and managed to install Andy Yan lineage GSI 20, android 13 bgN edition 😀 mate 😊👌🎉 you should make a clean flash installation.

Reactions: Buster99

`SBR`

Apr 5, 2010
NJ
i think no one has built anything separately for this tablet..

GSI is what has been tested.. i reverted back to Stock.. in the GSI lot of scrolling shuttering, Youtube forcecloses (haave to use Vance), Not seeing any majot update over the Stock version with my testing. flashed back the TWRP backup and rooted..

Maybe any LineageOS specifically built for this tablet might be a better choice...

Reactions: DerTeufel1980

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
i think no one has built anything separately for this tablet..

GSI is what has been tested.. i reverted back to Stock.. in the GSI lot of scrolling shuttering, Youtube forcecloses (haave to use Vance), Not seeing any majot update over the Stock version with my testing. flashed back the TWRP backup and rooted..

Maybe any LineageOS specifically built for this tablet might be a better choice...
OK. Doesn't sound too good... Though, I did not expect the gsi not to perform well. On the phones I had used recently, I did not notice issues like you described :(
What about the dock. Does it sill function with gsi?

_Kuki_

Dec 4, 2020
LG G4
Samsung Galaxy J5
The guide worked well. Only getting an error in TWRP "failed to mount '/system_root' (Invalid argument). But despite that, the LOS19.1 ROM boots up and works just fine. LOS20 also flashes and boots up but I can't use Google apps. Tried Pixel Experience, same problem. They install and then repeatedly ask to log into a google account. So for the moment, I'm sticking with LOS19.1. The light version wouldn't boot, stuck on the boot logo. The TD variant "worked".

Edit: Turns out for some reason Gapps now won't work even on LOS19. Probably screwed something up. I'll reset to stock and try again both LOS20 and 19.
Edit2: Alright, turns out that TWRP3.6 is not made to work with Android 13. So, whatever I did to flash in the first place was probably just an accident/fluke.

Last edited:

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011
So far so good. Just flashed a ten gsi I had lying around

IMG_20221218_151452.jpg

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011
Puhhh. Finally got something built and booting. Still don't know why adb only works after device is already booted up... IMG_20221219_224840.jpg

mikey111

Dec 28, 2022
Apologies if this is an inappropriate question for this thread - I'm a newbie. I just purchased a Tb-x606f tablet. It has a cut down version of Android 10. I can't encrypt the SD card due to this. What's the easiest way to solve this issue? Can I install the full version of Android 10?

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011
NIce. Did you use the stock kernel, or did you get the opensource compiling?
oh, missed this... it's the stocvk kernel...currently checking, what can be done to the system...

implemented lenovo show mode in aosp ten gsi

Attachments

• IMG_20230102_151526.jpg
    IMG_20230102_151526.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230102_151518.jpg
    IMG_20230102_151518.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230102_151511.jpg
    IMG_20230102_151511.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: Yahoo Mike

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I'm a long-time lurker on these forums but recently had some success flashing a GSI and rooting the Lenovo Tab M10 Plus (FHD) (X606F) with TWRP, and wanted to share my exact steps here. This device is awesome for the price point but unfortunately not popular enough to have many guides available. The tablet is Project Treble compatible and uses A/B roms (although it is not an A/B device in terms of OTA updates). You can use the Treble Info app to confirm that the devices uses an ARM64 A/B operating system. This was tested with the CAOS 11 GSI based on Android 11; it may work on other GSIs and other Android versions but I have not tested those (NOTE: user below confirms working on Android 12). I've written this guide at a bird's-eye-view meant for users familiar with flashing.

A couple useful notes before we begin:
    - Hardware force off: hold down both volume buttons + power button
    - Hardware boot into bootloader: while powered off, hold volume down + power button
    - Hardware boot into recovery: hold down both volume buttons + power button
    - While in fastboot mode, the command `fastboot reboot recovery` does not work for me on this device. You may have to hardware boot into recovery using the hardware steps above (power off completely then hardware boot). [This command may work for some people. It does not work for my device.]

Obviously, make sure your bootloader is unlocked before starting.

1. I used Ubuntu since Windows was having trouble recognizing the device in fastboot mode; linux drivers seem to be better developed for this particular device. I used `sudo apt install android-sdk` to get the drivers. Much easier than the nonsense that you have to do on Windows to get this device to work. Unfortunately, the Lenovo rescue app is available only for Windows, so you'll need access to Windows to gain access to vbmeta.img for installing TWRP (below).

2. Install TWRP following this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...rp-3-5-x-for-lenovo-tab-m10-fhd-plus.4222887/. It is important that you follow all these steps. After flashing the recovery, you must reboot into recovery to ensure that TWRP permanently installs. If the `fastboot reboot recovery` command does not work for you, hold down the power button to power off the device, then hardware boot into TWRP by holding down both volume buttons + power button to boot into TWRP. If you do not perform this step, the device will boot normally and TWRP will be erased. After booting into TWRP, wipe -> format data.

3. In TWRP, flash CAOS 11 GSI: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/official-aosp-r-mod-caos11.4265059/. You can try with other GSIs - it will probably work - but I've only tested this particular one, and can attest for the stability of CAOS 11 on this device. The image you'll want is named with -arm64-bgZ. If you use another GSI, make sure to use the A/B arm64 image. CAOS 11 has gapps included, so no need to flash here; if you use another GSI that does not have, you'll need to flash the appropriate gapps yourself. You can also opt for the non-gapps download if you don't want Google spying on you.

4. (Optional/No longer necessary) In TWRP, flash to disable dm-versity: https://zackptg5.com/android.php#disverfe.

5. (Optional - many GSIs come with root) In TWRP, flash standard Magisk.zip: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk. I didn't need to use Magisk-Phh.

6. Reboot system.

7. You may or may not get errors from Google Play saying that the device is not certified. Follow these steps:
    - Sign into Google account on device via settings
    - Download and install the Get ID app: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/makeinfo.com.getid/
    - Open the app and Copy Google Service Framework Key
    - Go to https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/
    - Sign in and paste the copied value to it, register
    - Reboot (this actually took me a few tries to get working, I believe the key is to make sure you're signed into your Google account)
    - Google Play should be working

Feel free to ask any questions here.
    Nice thread. Here's some thoughts to help make this process simpler.
    Following the numbering in the OP:
    1. If you are using Windows, just make sure you have the latest OEM drivers from Mediatek (MTK).
    2. after flashing TWRP and vbmeta, you can try fastboot reboot recovery to boot to twrp. I know the OP says it doesn't work, but it works on my TB-X606FA.

..and it's also a good idea to format data, especially if you're upgrading to a new OS level. This will delete everything on the data partition.
    3. phhusson keeps a list of GSIs based on his work.
    4. this step is now optional. TWRP (v3.6.0) has been patched to handle the A12 keymaster.
    5. many GSIs come with root as standard. If yours does (or if you installed Magisk-Phh), then you can use the Magisk app as a root manager, but be aware that updating Magisk from inside the app might break the GSI.
    6. -
    7. some of the latest GSIs have fixed this issue and the integrated gapps should just work.
    I got this working with the PHH android 12 pre-release version. So far everything seems to be working. There are a couple things I have to sort out still like it passes safetynet but some apps still don't show up in the play store.
    I installed CAOS 11 and it worked great on my Lenovo Tab M10 X606F! I also was able to flash CrDroid 8.4 ( Android 12) and this Rom also installed and is currently running great on my tab! It does say device not certified in Play Store but I have not had any issues with Gapps and installing or restoring my apps and games. Hulu was not available but I was able to sideload it and it works great! I don't use Netflix but it was unavailable in Play Store as well I think because the device is rooted! Only thing I notice so far is theming picks one color no matter what wallpaper I load or even if I choose custom color!
    Unfortunately, no. I am not able to pass SafetyNet test and my Netflix settings show Widevine L3 and SD quality.
    What a pity. It could be interesting to give a try to this, even though your tablet is on L3 level:

ESN.Netflix.Kodi.Addon.PNG