[GUIDE] Temp to permanent root, using rage instead of visionary

Search This thread

smokeymp911

Jan 29, 2007
Sorry need a little bit of help here I got past the part on the computer in the terminal manager when i enter
/data/local/tmp/rage

it gives me "/data/local/tmp/rage" permission denied....

Thanks for anyone who's willing to give me some info before hand

DocMAX

Nov 22, 2006
does it also work on phones with QWERTZ keymap? (i have a german desire z from amazon)

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Sorry need a little bit of help here I got past the part on the computer in the terminal manager when i enter
/data/local/tmp/rage

it gives me "/data/local/tmp/rage" permission denied....

Thanks for anyone who's willing to give me some info before hand

Did this command work ok, i.e. didn't give an error message ?

Code:
$ adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*

And you had the asterisk on the end ? No harm in running that again.

dzerjinski

Feb 28, 2009
Hi,

I tried to follow the instructions for my brand new Desire HD and got the error:
- init_module '/data/local/wpthis-OTA.ko' failed (exec format error)

Can anyone help me, please?

thanks

Crey23

Oct 7, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale Florida
HELP Cannot find device

OK...I'm beginning to think that rooting is not for me!!!! Getting a bit frustrated!!!

OK, so I installed SDK on my pc (Win XP Ver 2002 SP3), and I cannot get it recognize the device.

I tried the guide for dummies here on XDA, and I follow all the indications, server starts up, I can kill it too....but every time I try to run it I get:

"error: device cannot be found"

The line that I am writing is as follows:

Code:
c:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell

and I get the error above.

When I try to see if devices are connected, and Use this:

Code:
c:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices

I get:

"List of Devices attached", but there is no list!!!!!

But I can see the SDCARD from my computer....I can access the files...

Maybe I can try to pull instead of push, but I'm not sure how that would be written (line wise), not if will work.

BTW...I have never done anything like this on android....very new to this!!!!

umm.. HELP!!!

OK changed pc's,....on this one it does recognize the device, but does not allow me to push anything.....when i try:

Code:
 adb push su /sdcard/su

I get adb: permisions denied

Thanks!

Last edited:

trench619

Nov 25, 2010
A few questions before I start... I'm kind of new to this so go easy on me, I’m scared about fukkin **** up.

1) Before I start imputing any codes in ADB, do I need to type the commands first that are described in the unlocker site on setting up ADB. The commands I’m speaking of are:

cd\
cd AndroidSDK\tools\
adb devices

2) When imputing the code as shown in this guide, do I need to press return after each line? Or can I copy and past the entire 7 lines or so at a time...

adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*

Like, could I copy and the past the entire above script? Or do I need to type each line and then press return? Also, after all lines are added do I need to press return?

3) When speaking of the OTA update, are you talking about the update my phone did a month after I bout it? Were it said there was an update and I clicked on it and it installed and rebooted? And if so, if I reset my phone to factory would it be considered “Pre-OTA”?

TheRealEvo

Jun 6, 2010
this is the best tut i have seen in a while :) , i tried to do the other one with visionary, i ended up doing it 3 times and it didnt work, but i gave this a chance and it worked on the first try! thanks you so much for the excellent tut bro! And thank you to all that supported the G2 scene.

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
1) Before I start imputing any codes in ADB, do I need to type the commands first that are described in the unlocker site on setting up ADB. The commands I’m speaking of are:

cd\
cd AndroidSDK\tools\
adb devices

Yes, you either need to go specifically to the directory where you installed adb, or you need to add adb to your "PATH" variable in Windows. The first command there needs a space between the "cd" and the "/".

2) When imputing the code as shown in this guide, do I need to press return after each line? Or can I copy and past the entire 7 lines or so at a time...

adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
adb push root /data/local/tmp/root

Like, could I copy and the past the entire above script? Or do I need to type each line and then press return? Also, after all lines are added do I need to press return?

They are separate commands, not a script. So copy and paste them one at a time, so you can check each one works and if you should get an error message (unlikely) then you know which command it came from. If you copy and paste it reduces the chances of error compared to typing each line manually.

Don't worry too much, those particular commands do need doing, but you really can't mess up your phone if you do them wrong (just that the rooting won't work).

3) When speaking of the OTA update, are you talking about the update my phone did a month after I bout it? Were it said there was an update and I clicked on it and it installed and rebooted? And if so, if I reset my phone to factory would it be considered “Pre-OTA”?

Yes, that's the OTA (Over The Air) update. If you reset your phone to factory then I don't think it'll lose the OTA, just all its settings, but it'll still stay at OTA.

equi_design

Sep 20, 2009
FL
Google Nexus 4
HTC Sensation
Thanks for the help @Kalipedia and @Trigeek

Just wanted to say thanks! I downloaded ADB today for the first time and managed to figure out how to work this and it looks like it worked!

I also figure I'd try to pay it forward a bit and share with my fellow Mac users a bit of info. The commands will be slightly different from what's in the OP. Also, I just unzipped the file from the OP and then put both the folders on my desktop and worked it from there. The SDK I put in my home folder. FYI, below are the commands I used (obviously my name is 'alex', so you would change that for yourself). NB - these are just the commands that I entered on the Terminal app on my Mac - I'm not including any of the parts you do on the phone since that's the same for everyone.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

OPEN TERMINAL IN UTILITIES FOLDER:

alexs-macbook:~ Alex$ cd /users/Alex/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb push /users/alex/desktop/g2temproot/su /sdcard/su
1853 KB/s (26248 bytes in 0.013s)

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb push /users/alex/desktop/g2temproot/superuser.apk /sdcard/superuser.apk
1664 KB/s (27688 bytes in 0.016s)

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb push /users/alex/desktop/g2temproot/rage /data/local/tmp/rage
1089 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.004s)

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb push /users/alex/desktop/g2temproot/busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
2610 KB/s (1926944 bytes in 0.720s)

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb push /users/alex/desktop/g2temproot/root /data/local/tmp/root
3 KB/s (575 bytes in 0.186s)

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*

AT THIS POINT YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT PERTAIN TO USING TERMINAL EMULATOR ON YOUR PHONE

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb push /users/alex/desktop/vision-perm-root/hboot-eng.img /data/local
2560 KB/s (1048576 bytes in 0.399s)

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$ ./adb push /users/alex/desktop/vision-perm-root/wpthis-ota.ko /data/local
2712 KB/s (108820 bytes in 0.039s)

alexs-macbook:tools Alex$

I just wanted to thank kalipedia and trigeek for the help in rooting my G2. I did my G1 back when it first came out, but for some reason this one was a bit more difficult. I really appreciate Kalipedia's help with the terminal prompts for Mac (since I'm a Mac user too), and for Trigeek's great original tutorial.

My G2 is now rooted, running Wireless tether, and I'm continuing to geek out by researching ROMs. :)

f4phantomii

Feb 10, 2009
OK changed pc's,....on this one it does recognize the device, but does not allow me to push anything.....when i try:

Code:
 adb push su /sdcard/su

I get adb: permisions denied

I was getting the same error. Took me a few minutes to work through it.

Try this:

Code:
.\adb push su /sdcard/su

This worked for me.

Crey23

Oct 7, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale Florida
I was getting the same error. Took me a few minutes to work through it.

Try this:

Code:
.\adb push su /sdcard/su

This worked for me.

F4, thanks for the reply...it's a no go! Tried it and got the same error.... permission denied.

I can't get to push while using the terminal emulator on the phone either....loosing confidence on rootability of my device, or the lack of ability that I have to do so....either way it seems destined to be temp-rooted for a while longer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's already a guide here for obtaining permanent root using VISIONary, but some folks in #G2ROOT are having issues with the way that VISIONary modifies parititons. Using rage directly is a bit cleaner, since you know exactly what it's going to touch at each step of the way. I did NOT come up with any of this on my own, I'm building completely off of work that others have done. Speaking of which-

None of this would be possible without the tireless work that scotty2 put in. He stayed with the project for well over a month, through lots of smashed hopes and dead ends, until the solution was finally found. Were it not for his work, as well as the help of a few other key folks- we wouldn't be here. He deserves our thanks and some donations! We're talking hundreds of hours of work here, a couple bucks is not too much for that. :) His paypal is:
    walker.scott@gmail.com
    Send him some love! I'm not asking for anything myself, because I spent a half hour putting this together, and that doesn't deserve any donations!

[size=+2]G2 ROOT INSTRUCTIONS[/size]
    =================================================

These are modified instructions based on the ones posted at http://bit.ly/g2root that use Visionary. A number of people have run into issues with the way that Visionary juggles around temporary partitions, and using the original root exploit is a much easier, and cleaner method for achieving permanent root. This tutorial will walk you through the rooting process by first achieving temporary root, and moving on to permanent root.

[size=+1]REQUIREMENTS[/size]

In the commands to run below, $ or # represent the prompt and should NOT be entered as part of the commands.

[size=+2]VERY IMPORTANT![/size]
    Visionary has caused filesystem corruption for some users during the rooting process. Before attempting the instructions below, make sure that you have "auto run on boot" turned OFF, and reboot your system. Since you will not need visionary anyway after this, you might as well just uninstall visionary and reboot NOW before doing anything.

[size=+1]TEMP ROOT[/size]
    ON YOUR PC:
    Unzip the G2TempRoot files to a folder. From a cmd window or terminal, navigate to that folder and execute these commands:

Code:
    $ adb push su /sdcard/su
    $ adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    $ adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
    $ adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
    $ adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
    $ adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*

ON YOUR PHONE:
    1. Launch Terminal Emulator
    2. /data/local/tmp/rage
    3. Wait for the message: "Forked #### childs."
    4. Menu > Reset Term - Terminal Emulator will exit.
    5. Launch Terminal Emulator, it Force Closes. Launch a second time, and you'll have a root shell
    6. **NOTE**: in the original directions from the XDA thread, you are instructed to run the /data/local/tmp/root script here. DON'T do this
      just yet. Leave the terminal window open.

[size=+1]PERM ROOT[/size]
    ON YOUR PC:
    unzip the vision-perm-root.zip and navigate to that folder. There will be four files. You will need to push two of these to your phone- hboot-eng.img, and one of the wpthis-[..].ko files.

If you HAVE applied the OTA update, push wpthis-OTA.ko.
    If you HAVE NOT applied the OTA update, push wpthis-pre-OTA.ko.

Code:
    $ adb push hboot-eng.img /data/local
    $ adb push wpthis-OTA.ko /data/local

ON YOUR PHONE:
    You should still have terminal emulator up, at a root prompt. Now run:
    Code:
    # insmod /data/local/wpthis-OTA.ko
    You should see:
    Code:
    init_module 'wpthis-OTA.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
    That means it worked. This next step is CRUCIAL. You must make sure that you are writing to the proper partition here or you could brick your phone. To be absolutely clear- the partition is mmcblk(zero)p(one)(eight)

Code:
    dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

You should see some messages indicating that it was written. Next, run:

Code:
    # /data/local/tmp/root
    This will lock in root, and give you 'su' access in the future. Next, run:
    Code:
    # sync

Now wait at least a minute, just to be safe. After waiting, reboot your phone using the power button. After it finishes starting up, launch the terminal emulator, and type 'su'. You should get the prompt asking you to grant permissions. If you got the prompt, congratulations! You have permanent root!
    I have the same issue. I have S-off but can't run /data/local/tmp/root without a lot of input/output errors.

Guys if your s-off you've already won the battle. All you need to do is go the the clockwork mod recovery thread. Grab the recovery that says for manually flashing from fastboot. Put that img on the root of your computers c drive named recovery.img. then download rom of your choice, I suggest starting with my stock w/root rom, and put it on the root of your sdcard.

*you will have to have adb/fastboot installed and working for this next step:

boot the phone into fastboot. And on the computer type "fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img" when its done you will have cwm recovery. Select recovery from the menu on the phone. BACKUP first. Then wipe data and wipe cache. Then go down to flash zip from sd, select zip from sd, then select the rom u downloaded.(be sure to follow the instructions on flashing that rom in whatever rom u choose to uses thread). Once that's done, your done. Reboot and enjoy!
    i get al the way to the end and there seems to be a problem with
    because it says error cant find chmod

The "chmod" command is built into Android, so that should work. Are you copying and pasting in that command like that ? You're not accidentally doing "adb *push* chmod", are you ?
    The "chmod" command is built into Android, so that should work. Are you copying and pasting in that command like that ? You're not accidentally doing "adb *push* chmod", are you ?

He I'm helping him root the phone. We just copy pasting the code. I believe he used visionary prior to using rage but was unsuccessful. We're now stuck with s-off but no root. I'll be using the hex editor shortly to restore stock and s-on then attempt to root with rage again. What do you think?
    I tried to root my Desire Z, and for some reason maybe i missed the steps or something stupid,
    and now my phone is stuck on the HTC screen

I removed the battery, put it back and tried to switch it on, nothing happened.
    I did the factory settings back from the recovery boot, and it still stuck.

Is there anyway I can get my phone back?

Did you try using Visionary before you used the "rage" method ?

Can you get it into the bootloader (hboot), if you power off the phone, then hold Volume Down and then press the Power key till it turns on ? If so, what does it say at the top of the screen ?