• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[GUIDE] TF300T Unlock/Root/Flash for Factory JB Devices on 4.1.X (newbie friendly)

Tamaskan

Aug 18, 2012
Adelaide
As has been said but to stress it.. TWRP is the way to go on this device.

Also as was mentioned before unless you just want to stay 100% stock on this device the easiest route is to...

1. Unlock using the ASUS tool
2. fastboot install TWRP
3. Flash a ROM like Energy ROM that is based on the ASUS stock but is pre-rooted.

Will work like a champ using the instructions here although if you follow the tinyurl link a few back to go directly to TWRP page.. you can get the latest and the fastboot command for installing TWRP are on the same page. So then you just need to get the unlock APK... Run it. Once unlocked follow the TWRP instructions, reboot, but Energy ROM file on internal SD, then reboot to TWRP recovey, BACKUP stock install... (I chose to use a 2gb SD card to make an archive copy of the stock JB load) then install ROM...

reboot and you are rooted and running a tweaked version of stock ROM.

Thanks to the OP for starting a clear concise thread for new devices so that it was all in one place.
I dont think energy rom is suitable for newbies cause it has OC and can heat up device badly if someone doesnt know it well. I still suggest newbies use Hydro rom. It's just like stock but remove bloats (with flashable bloat zips if u still want it) and it has some performance improvements.

Reactions: Tenashiz D

andoryuu3

Dec 8, 2012
Japan
Wow!! I'm a little overwhelmed-- initially this thread didn't seem to have much activity, so I forgot to check up on it. However, I'm a Private Message away if questions/suggestions come up. :)

wetbiker7: I recall stumbling over your troubles with unlocking and CWM when I was looking for information for myself-- Thanks to your documentation of your experiences, I was able to prepare myself a little better. I suppose that might make people wonder why I still opted to use CWM.. I'll be answering that shortly! CWM will be substituted with TWRP and I will leave my experience with CWM as an alternate route.

Tamaskan: BIG thanks for helping people with questions here. I've listened to your suggestions about TWRP too, and will make a change shortly. I think I will also give readers a few more options on which ROM to use. I went with Baked because it fits my personality (feature wise of course; dunno about the name). I like tweaks and flexibility, and having access to things that shouldn't be accessed, etc... However aesthetics also play a big role in my choices. And yes, that's a big reason why I went with CWM-- I wasn't fond of TWRP's UI. CWM was a little less functionality (and I suppose general compatibility, come to find out), but what sealed the deal for me was the fact that I'd hardly be using the recovery anyway. Now it's very clear that I need to make some guide revisions!

So, to address everyone while saying it: I used CWM because I felt it looked better :p. I also found information on installing CWM a little easier than I could find on TWRP. I seem to also recall thinking TWRP wasn't compatible with my OS version, maybe because of the recent "new" scenario of having a device factory flashed with JB. HOWEVER, this guide was intended to quickly sort out custom ROM issues, and seeing as TWRP is actually MORE compatible, it will now be offered as a recommended path in this guide. My experience with CWM will remain-- what's the good in deleting a documented experience?

It seems I also need to make it clear that this guide is not for ICS users. I would have liked to point them toward NVflash before upgrading to JB (I'm a man who loves his options), but I can't expect every reader on ICS to participate in the NVflash party. I'll find a way to address this properly.

Lastly, as for my alternate ROM choices go, they will be ranked in terms of user tech ability. For the super noobs, it sounds like Hydro ROM is best. Baked will be recommended for people who adapt quickly to new devices, carry "better safe than sorry" attitudes, and like options (or, for the Cyanogenmod curious).

I still need to pick a ROM for those who want maximum control and features. I suppose someone like that may rarely read a guide such as this, but sometimes these types only need to be shown a path before they can run.

Thanks again for all the feedback and input! I've taken all suggestions to heart and will be making changes shortly. Glad this could be of help to you guys!

Last edited:

Ominous8939

Sep 14, 2010
Thank you for this great guide.

I recently bought a TF 300 T. This guide was so very helpful. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share it with us.

daveaus

Jul 13, 2004
Thanks for the guide. Im trying to install twrp and its been sitting on "sending 'recovery' (7384 KB)..." for about 10 minutes. Is this normal?

Edit: Solved by holding down power button, going back into usb mode changing to a different usb port and running command again.

Last edited:

sanlec

Jan 1, 2013
Root Tf300 eu

Hello everybody,

FIRST : Sorry for my bad english and I hope you`ll understand me

SECOND : I want to root my Tf300t in european version. I afraid to brick it because I am a noob in android. I work on windows and xml.
I haven`t got dock with my tablet and I can`t connect it usb with my PC (I think !?).

Numéro du modèle : Asus Transformer Pad Tf300t
Version android :
Version du noyau :
[email protected]))
#1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 22 21:27:42 CST 2012
Numéro de built
JRO03C.WW_epad-10.4.2.18-20121122

I can read temporary root with Z4root or superoneclick but it seems not sure or not compatible

Thanks for your help and sorry for my stupid request.

andoryuu3

Dec 8, 2012
Japan
What is the application you mention to backup whitout titanium backup ?

A lot of thanks for this works.

Cordially
The one I initially discovered was called "App Backup and Restore", and then a friend refered me to a different one called "Extract Apks" which seems to work as well. I recall the first of the two saying something about not being able to fully back up paid apps into an apk (perhaps a limitation of a device without root?).

If Extract Apks doesn't work out well for you, try App Backup and Restore. Both can be found free in the Play Store. :)

Hello everybody,

FIRST : Sorry for my bad english and I hope you`ll understand me

SECOND : I want to root my Tf300t in european version. I afraid to brick it because I am a noob in android. I work on windows and xml.
I haven`t got dock with my tablet and I can`t connect it usb with my PC (I think !?).

Numéro du modèle : Asus Transformer Pad Tf300t
Version android :
Version du noyau :
[email protected]))
#1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 22 21:27:42 CST 2012
Numéro de built
JRO03C.WW_epad-10.4.2.18-20121122

I can read temporary root with Z4root or superoneclick but it seems not sure or not compatible

Thanks for your help and sorry for my stupid request.
You should be fine to proceed with this guide. As far as root is concerned, when I attempted to obtain root I already had custom recovery installed. Even being able to flash a zip file for root access, I don't believe I truly had root access until I installed my custom ROM... So don't worry about root yet, just focus on getting a custom recovery solution first. After that you can flash a pre-rooted tf300 ROM (assuming you want root).

Because my device was a US model and yours is not, I'm going to have to recommend that you use TWRP instead of CWM. I have not detailed the process of installing TWRP yet in my guide, so please follow the guide but do not flash the CWM recovery.img-- when you get to the part requiring Windows' Command Prompt, please follow Tamaskan's instructions found HERE.

I will be integrating those steps into the guide and thanking both krabappel2548 and Tamaskan for that information. Going to proofread my changes to the guide and have them posted by the end of this week. :good:

EfrainTrejo

Dec 22, 2012
AZ
please help

so i got to the part where you turn of the tablet and turn it on to the menu icons and it didnt installe the drivers like i thought but i when into my device manager and theres no other devices section or anything so i was like ok and checked for section called android phone or portable devices and nothings there and my tablet froze on the menu section when i selected on the usb icon but i disconnected it and it rebooted but i didnt see those sections please help im a noob. :confused:

never mind got it but when i try to flash the twrp recovery with fastboot it says i have error trying to flash it and i followed tamaskans instruction but when it trys flashing the twrp recovery it says it has a error and i dont think i extracted my twrp file right because its just a blob file and i know it suppose to say that aren't you suppose to extract it first and put it the folder so cmd can read it and flash it sorry i need help

need help tryed flashing twrp recovery by fastboot but on cmd it says that there's an error reading it or something i don't know whats happening but this happens every-time and it registering with my computer that its on fastboot but doesn't want to flash the recovery or cwm. the downloaded file looks different too don't you have to extract it?

Last edited:

Tamaskan

Aug 18, 2012
Adelaide
so i got to the part where you turn of the tablet and turn it on to the menu icons and it didnt installe the drivers like i thought but i when into my device manager and theres no other devices section or anything so i was like ok and checked for section called android phone or portable devices and nothings there and my tablet froze on the menu section when i selected on the usb icon but i disconnected it and it rebooted but i didnt see those sections please help im a noob. :confused:

never mind got it but when i try to flash the twrp recovery with fastboot it says i have error trying to flash it and i followed tamaskans instruction but when it trys flashing the twrp recovery it says it has a error and i dont think i extracted my twrp file right because its just a blob file and i know it suppose to say that aren't you suppose to extract it first and put it the folder so cmd can read it and flash it sorry i need help

need help tryed flashing twrp recovery by fastboot but on cmd it says that there's an error reading it or something i don't know whats happening but this happens every-time and it registering with my computer that its on fastboot but doesn't want to flash the recovery or cwm. the downloaded file looks different too don't you have to extract it?
Did your computer detect your device? And you did unlocked your device right?

Tamaskan

Aug 18, 2012
Adelaide
yep it did detect the fastboot mode and my bootloader is unlock if thats what your asking but when i try flashing twrp it says error im guessing it cant read the file or something i dont know :confused:
Ok, try download the latest twrp from its website. It should be v2.3.3.0. Just google twrp and you'll find the website.

Sent from my Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: EfrainTrejo

EfrainTrejo

Dec 22, 2012
AZ
Ok, try download the latest twrp from its website. It should be v2.3.3.0. Just google twrp and you'll find the website.

Sent from my Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD
i did do that but it still says error and it cant read it. but ill try again and reflash twrp and ill see what happens

UPDATE same thing happened it says in the cmd "error: cannot load 'tf300t-jb.blob' and in the step where you go to computer then manage and then device manager isn't there sopose to be a section of "Other Devices" and say fastboot i dont have have that at all theres not even a section reading "Other Devices". which is weird.

UPDATE UPDATE the weirdest thing just happend for the heck of it i just wanted to see if i could flash cwm and see if that would work and it did but can someone please tell me how to flash twrp over cwm

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE got twrp on my tf300t just flashed the recovery from goomanager because I rooted it after I got cwm so now I'm one happy tf300t owner :)

Last edited:

okrasitna

Aug 5, 2010
saint girons
I just flash recovery-jb.img on last stock rom,
Could i do any backup with CWM, i don't have any microsd card

Backup to intenal storage??

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
I just wanted to say thanks for this guide. Really. I've been looking to do this now and this seems like a big help. I do have a question though, doesn't unlocking the device wipe all your data?

markusg90

Jun 9, 2012
First i want to give thumbs up for this guide, it gives a very good base for running custom roms on the TF300T

I just wanted to say thanks for this guide. Really. I've been looking to do this now and this seems like a big help. I do have a question though, doesn't unlocking the device wipe all your data?

Unlocking the device will wipe none of your data. It only enables access to your bootloader (recovery, fastboot, etc.). Even flashing a recovery like CWM or TWRP will leave your data as it is.
The only things touching your data are doing a full wipe / factory reset or switching from stock to custom rom, wich will include a full wipe.

Reactions: UndisputedGuy

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Thank you. I thought it did as when i unlocked the bootloader on my xperia play, everything was reverted back to stock

mloc33

Nov 10, 2010
Kildare
Will there be any plans on including how to flash TWRP as a replacement for CWM in this guide?

I've waited a long time since I got my tab to unlock/root/flash a ROM on it, just want to be sure I've got all the steps/info correct.

Edit: Would Titanium Backup be the best app to backup everything before I start this process?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: okrasitna
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone