• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

(GUIDE) The bests things To do with your Nook simple Touch

Search This thread

rsepierre

Jun 20, 2013
bonjourjeanjacques.org

WHAT TO DO WITH
___My Nook Simple Touch

I would like to create a thread to help people to make their choice about what to do with their nooks.
What mod should I choose ? why ? can i do this ? to avoid the "if only i've had installed this mod
instead of this one at the time".

Should I update my firmware (now 1.0.1) and to which version ? is there any disadvantage ?

Update to 1.2.1 , you will get a good dictionnary and there is no real reason to stay on earlier versions.

Which Mod should I get and install ? Advantages and disavantage ?

NookManager seems to be the latest and best firmware for now. (30/01/2014)

Can I update android ?

You can't, you will stay Android 2.1 forever

What app should i install ? Compatible with nook ?

Should I install a norefresh tweak, which one is the best ?

Tweaks :

• AZERTY Keyboard and Language + general settingsMust have
    Nook Color Tools
    (working on Nook Simple Touch) You can choose your keyboards settings, and under "Settings/Developpment" you can choose your language for the whole system. It also changes your keyboard to your region's one (azerty for me)
    to install Nook Color Tools, use a file manager to move the .apk to system/app, then install it
  • Keyboards
    Download the keyboard you're willing to use, with file manager move the file to system/app then install it. Then use Nook Color Tools to choose the Third Party Keyboard you wanna use. (Also possible with the twitter app from whati saw : Long press on text field/choose input method)

I wan't to get a keyboard. Which ones will work, which one are you using ?
( I'm personnaly looking for something like this but this one is bluetooth only
http://www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIBO...qid=1390954285&sr=8-1&keywords=PERIBOARD-805L )

Last edited:

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
- The latest firmware, with its good dictionary, is best.

- NookManager is the latest and best.

- It's Android 2.1 forever.

- Offline Wikipedia is wonderful.

- for best apps, search the website.

rsepierre

Jun 20, 2013
bonjourjeanjacques.org
I'm waiting for any advice from someone who tested a "norefresh" patch. Which one is the best if there is many and is there any downside ?

I'm also waiting for any others tips you would like to share.

richardcoop

Jan 13, 2014
- The latest firmware, with its good dictionary, is best.

- NookManager is the latest and best.

- It's Android 2.1 forever.

- Offline Wikipedia is wonderful.

- for best apps, search the website.
What Wikapedia ap did you use? The ones I have found either did not work with aAndroid 2.1 or required an internet connection.

David0226

Jul 17, 2012
Atwater, Ohio
I'm waiting for any advice from someone who tested a "norefresh" patch. Which one is the best if there is many and is there any downside ?

I'm also waiting for any others tips you would like to share.

My opinion may be different than others because I am not a big fan of multi-use devices. I only use my Nook for reading. If you want to do something that needs "norefresh" "fast refresh" or whatever, go buy a tablet.

I have rooted my 1.2.1 Glowlight with NookManager. I have installed YouVersion Bible 2.4.1 and Orion PDF viewer. NookManager installs Button Savior. These are the only apps I really use besides the stock reader.

rsepierre

Jun 20, 2013
bonjourjeanjacques.org
My opinion may be different than others because I am not a big fan of multi-use devices. I only use my Nook for reading. If you want to do something that needs "norefresh" "fast refresh" or whatever, go buy a tablet.

I have rooted my 1.2.1 Glowlight with NookManager. I have installed YouVersion Bible 2.4.1 and Orion PDF viewer. NookManager installs Button Savior. These are the only apps I really use besides the stock reader.

I agree with you my nook is to be for a restricted use. However this thread is created for any user willing to know what are their options.
In my personnal use. I'm willing to use it for reading : blogs, books, PDF, wikipedia. And maybe for writing (if i find the right keyboard and app)
So its my "knowledge device" output (reading) and input (writing)
If norefresh tweaks have no downsides, It could be better for writing (see the letters showing as fast as they are typed)
That's how i see it.

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
What offline wikipedia are you using ?

I use the free Aard Dictionary (aarddict.android.apk). See http://aarddict.org/index.html and http://f-droid.org/wiki/page/aarddict.android.

I use the NST for reading novels with CoolReader, and read bridge (card game) on pdf files with APV PDF Viewer, and Word documents with Mantano Reader. All work very well, but APV has no book-marking, and choosing the best fonts settings for the NST on CoolReader is decidedly tricky. For occasional web browsing, Opera Mobile is fine. For quick notes, I use Color Note Notepad . I also use Dropbox, Titanium Backup and Adfree.

Rooting the NST far exceeded my expectations. I uses it twice as often as I did before rooting, mainly because the stock NST will only read epubs properly.

Reactions: richardcoop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What offline wikipedia are you using ?

I use the free Aard Dictionary (aarddict.android.apk). See http://aarddict.org/index.html and http://f-droid.org/wiki/page/aarddict.android.

I use the NST for reading novels with CoolReader, and read bridge (card game) on pdf files with APV PDF Viewer, and Word documents with Mantano Reader. All work very well, but APV has no book-marking, and choosing the best fonts settings for the NST on CoolReader is decidedly tricky. For occasional web browsing, Opera Mobile is fine. For quick notes, I use Color Note Notepad . I also use Dropbox, Titanium Backup and Adfree.

Rooting the NST far exceeded my expectations. I uses it twice as often as I did before rooting, mainly because the stock NST will only read epubs properly.