[GUIDE] The correct way to flash custom ROMs

Search This thread

chatoid

Jul 16, 2014
This thread was great fun, Thanyou. Was like reading/watching a mid morning soap opera xD

Only thing that confused me was why you need to plug in an OTG during the installation process?
Doesn't the new rom give OTG functionality if it's not plugged in or something?

Last edited:

_Masked_

This thread was great fun, Thanyou. Was like reading/watching a mid morning soap opera xD

Only thing that confused me was why you need to plug in an OTG during the installation process?
Doesn't the new rom give OTG functionality if it's not plugged in or something?

hey, just came back to xda from a long break. OTG is a choice, you can use your PC or an OTG

Nevaran

Jul 21, 2018
What does step 6 mean in the clean install? the "And then recovery installer" part

ThiccWooper

Feb 24, 2021
What does step 6 mean in the clean install? the "And then recovery installer" part
Followed this guide, and I think I can safely assume that the recovery installer is in reference to the TWRP-installer.zip(available for download on the official website and is a separate file from the TWRP.img), which you flash after the custom rom has been flashed!
Thanks to the op :D

sushiada

Nov 9, 2019
Moto G5S Plus
hi, every time i attempt to install a custom ROM i always loose access to my SIM, gives me a 'SIM not detected error' and upon further investigation i found out that it was because the IMEI number(s) became null/invalid...now i've attempted to install custom ROMS on moto g4 and g5s plus, could this issue be common with only moto phones? Or is it because of the SIM i'm using (the service provider) ? Or am i missing something every time i flash a custom ROM?

mrgtw

Jun 19, 2014
Kadawatha
Some custom rom mention the need certain firmware versions. If I'm in a custom rom and need to update to another rom how to update firmware. Im asking this because I'm new to this stuff

So
Since a lot of people have had trouble flashing Custom ROMs, I decided to create a guide that should work on every device (whether A/B partition or not) except on Samsung devices. For bypassing Decryption Issues, adb sideload the .zip files.

GUIDE

I am assuming you have unlocked your Bootloader, flashed TWRP and have some knowledge on ADB.

[This is known as a clean install or clean flash]

1. Turn off Lockscreen Security
  2. Reboot to Recovery
  3. Factory Reset
  4. Format Data
  5. Copy the .zip files from your PC to your phone / Plug in your USB OTG
  6. Flash the ROM and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk/SuperSU after)
  7. Reboot to Recovery
  8. Flash GApps and Magisk/SuperSU
  9. Reboot to System

[This is known as a dirty flash]

To update the custom ROM or fix a error (Bootloop after successful first boot, No Service, etc.)

I am assuming you used my guide to flash the custom ROM

These are basically the same steps but without wiping or formatting data

2. Reboot to Recovery
  3. Flash the ROM (has to be the same ROM, updated is recommended, older versions may cause issues) and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk/SuperSU after)
  4. Reboot to Recovery
  5. Flash GApps and Magisk/SuperSU
  6. Reboot to System

LINKS:

Official GApps Website - GApps Github
Official TWRP Website - TWRP Github
Magisk Forum - Magisk Thread - Magisk Github
Official SuperSU Website - SuperSU Forum - SuperSU Thread - SuperSU Github

I recommend the Nano variant of GApps since I have had no error with it.

Enjoy!
So your point is to factory reset and then wipe is that it?
I see so factory reset is for the settings to default maybe but makes sense.
But what I don't get is the RECOVERY installer thing, I mean do you really need to flash recover all over again wiping? I'm using orange fox recovery, so I need to FLASH it using CMD via pc again every time I perform a clean wipe?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since a lot of people have had trouble flashing Custom ROMs, I decided to create a guide that should work on every device (whether A/B partition or not) except on Samsung devices. For bypassing Decryption Issues, adb sideload the .zip files.

GUIDE

I am assuming you have unlocked your Bootloader, flashed TWRP and have some knowledge on ADB.

2. Reboot to Recovery
    3. Factory Reset
    4. Format Data
    5. Copy the .zip files from your PC to your phone / Plug in your USB OTG
    6. Flash the ROM and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk/SuperSU after)
    7. Reboot to Recovery
    8. Flash GApps and Magisk/SuperSU
    9. Reboot to System

[This is known as a dirty flash]

To update the custom ROM or fix a error (Bootloop after successful first boot, No Service, etc.)

I am assuming you used my guide to flash the custom ROM

These are basically the same steps but without wiping or formatting data

2. Reboot to Recovery
    3. Flash the ROM (has to be the same ROM, updated is recommended, older versions may cause issues) and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk/SuperSU after)
    4. Reboot to Recovery
    5. Flash GApps and Magisk/SuperSU
    6. Reboot to System

LINKS:

Official GApps Website - GApps Github
    Official TWRP Website - TWRP Github
    Magisk Forum - Magisk Thread - Magisk Github
    Official SuperSU Website - SuperSU Forum - SuperSU Thread - SuperSU Github

I recommend the Nano variant of GApps since I have had no error with it.

Enjoy!
    [Disabler-ONLY]

`This is basically the same guide just if you want to flash Zackptg5's "Universal DM-Verity, ForceEncrypt, Disk Quota Disablers" or any other disabler which requires different steps.

2. Reboot to Recovery
    3. Format Data
    4. Copy the .zip files from your PC to your phone / Plug in your USB OTG
    5. Flash the ROM and then the Recovery Installer (No Magisk after)
    6. Reboot to Recovery
    7. Flash the Disabler, Magisk and then GApps
    8. Reboot to System
    9. Profit

Dirty Flash? You can't. Usually when using a Disabler you have to clean install your custom ROM.

To update use the method in the first post but for step number 5 Flash the Disabler, Magisk and then GApps
    This is a bit much to do. Just use twinnfamous' twrp and you can flash a custom easily. Plus, I flash havoc over crdroid, then back and forth again. So you can flash over. Just have to wipe data and cache after ROM flash and twrp flash then reboot to recovery.

Basically:
    Fastboot boot twrp (twinnfamous' 0.7)
    Be on 9.0.7 firmware as most custom ROMs use this base right now I think..
    Anyway, then flash twrp (twinnfamous' 0.7 installer zip)
    Reboot to recovery
    Now flash custom ROM
    Flash twrp zip
    Reboot to recovery
    (You'll now be on the opposite slot as before, which means you are on the slot which your new custom ROM was installed)
    Wipe > custom > data and cache wipe
    Install opengapps nano and magisk 18.0
    Reboot system

You'll boot right into the ROM setup screen with no decryption issues along the way as long as you do exactly as I said.

Have fun flashing!

You wasted that post just for this? I assure you that my tutorial guarantees success when using a official or unofficial version of TWRP or custom ROM, I also used the method you posted about but it did not work. Also what do you mean by "9.0.7"?
    The GApps version you use doesn't have to be Nano and Magisk doesn't have to be v18.0. I'm sure you just copy-pasted this, my method should always succeed. The TWRP doesn't have to be from @twinnfamous , it can be from any developer. This is not a OnePlus 6T only guide.
    This flashing process is difficult in my view. Why are you making the simple custom rom flashing process so difficult for the noobs.