[GUIDE] The Generic SD Issue (READ FIRST)

Search This thread
Jul 3, 2013
I have a sporadically unavailable 64GB SanDisk SDXC MicrosSD. Generally, when it becomes unavailable, that is, when the phone is unable to "see" the card or its contents, restarting the phone again makes it available. But sooner or later it again becomes unavailable.

I tried wiping the card with a microfiber cloth. When I reinserted it in my phone, it wasn't seen. Restarting the phone made it available.

My phone is a Galaxy S3 running Stockorama version2 with 4.1.2. The same problem existed, however, on my previous ROM.

My experience with the 64gb cards, is i have to format the card on my computer, my phone wont even see it to format it. I have a mac, and formatted it in MS DOS (FAT-32 i believe)

Hope it helps

Baskhara

Hi, I have a 16GB SDCard and it show only 45MB of total space on my phone and computer and I can't format it through computer or phone, every time I click the format button on computer the sdcard unplugged automatically. Can this sdcard be repaired?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DrHerTz

Feb 26, 2013
Hi, I have a 16GB SDCard and it show only 45MB of total space on my phone and computer and I can't format it through computer or phone, every time I click the format button on computer the sdcard unplugged automatically. Can this sdcard be repaired?
Thanks in advance

You should try booting into safemode and using program "Low Level Format"

try it ...
If can't ... your SDCard is brick :D

DrHerTz

Feb 26, 2013
Tried Low Level Format but always failed, sdcard unplugged automatically once the format button clicked, and sometimes the LLF crashed :/

Did you already tried change the Adaptor of MicroSD or Change the Memory Card Reader ...
Sometimes, that can happened to your hardware ...
If you using CPU, the best way is put the USB on the Back (Onboard USB), don't trying using the Front USB

CMIIW

Fish14

Jul 17, 2013
CWM restore causes corruption?

Thanks, great guide!

I'm having an as yet undocumented (or at least- not yet found) issue: After a CWM restore, my Xolo Q800 (actually, Allview P5 Quad) tells me my SD card is damaged. I'm pretty sure it is not: I ran fsck_msdos without issues, both local and on a PC (the whole card). It mounts without issues and all my files (so far) open without problems. Still, I formatted a new (32GB) card, and copied all the files (again, both via an adapter on a PC), and the new card gives the same warning..?..

I suspect there's a file somewhere causing this- but can't find any info on it. It is no problem other than that SD card warning annoys the @$# out of me, I'd like to know what's up... It is nowhere near important enough to do a full re-install (like I said, everyting seems to work fine) but I know me, and that's what I'll end up doing if I cant work out twhat's causing this...

Anyone? Thanks!

Edit: Found it was the interna SDCARD that got corrupted- its empty so formatted. Still weird that CWM restore seems to cause this (wasn't the first time)

Last edited:

THUDUK

Aug 12, 2007
eastbourne
Google Pixel 4a
I have an Xperia z, the micro sd card I used was about 6 months Old, 32GB SanDisk class 10 ultra, not been used that heavily, was put in my galaxy Note and stayed in only used to store and play music, never taken in and out, never had an issue with it until now.

Simply plugged it in the Xperia z and all WAS well, all the music showed up and played perfectly.... Excellent I thought.

Then after two days, suddenly a notification message on my Xperia sd not loaded, no file explorers would even see it, neither did the system settings.

So I tried removing the card and placing it back in, rebooting, still nothing, so removed the card and put it in the small usb card adaptor that came with the card, both my pc's I tried, nothing happened when I plugged in, yet if you go to the Computer, file explorer a grey out g drive is shown, right click properties, 0 bytes, try to format, states this is not a drive.

Tried easeus disk manager and a few other programs and the sd doesn't even show up on the list.

Now using some Old scratched up tatty unbranded. 2GB class 4 sd card, and that had been working Fine for the last 5 days.

What could have happened? What can I do now to try and recover and reformat my 32GB sd card?

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

pixel7474

Jun 18, 2013
good read

This thread has been created to address the hundreds of "Ma SD Don't Work" Threads spawned in the Accessories forum. After seeing and answering many of these, I though it would be appropriate to simply create a thread for this.​

Almost 80% of all of these defective SD card threads have common solutions. I will list these below.

1) A corrupt SD card:

2) Dirty Contacts:

3) Corrupt Data:

4) Casing:

5) The "Write Protected" Issue

Please hit thanks if you found this useful.
Please read this before posting another SD thread.

If any further help is required, please leave it down below.

EDIT: Thanks to Cooleagle for making this a sticky. Because of the stick, many more people will see this first and not have to create a thread.

This is a good resource to read over. Know more for my next SD card.

TRS_80

Jun 30, 2013
How timely that I found this thread. Thx for the sticky, was just literally looking for a new C10 card. This thread gave me somethings to think about :D

Does anyone have any info on actual build standards or who uses whos components? i.e. chips wrapped in different plastics and branding.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

I see alot of above posts having probs with their card. I have had the same issues time to time and these 2 tools fixed me up.

*******BACKUP ALL DATA ON YOUR SDCARD...THESE PROGRAMS WILL ERASE AND FORMAT YOUR CARD*******

SD Formatter

MiniPartitionTools

Last edited:

Ladyoh

Aug 7, 2013
Noob question

2) Dirty Contacts:
Originally Posted by Deftone
Clean out the reader with an earbud. This may also solve this issue.​

I am confused by this - I ran a search and the only 'earbud' that comes up is the kind that you listen to. I admit that I am a noob, but I did try to find it - OH! Is that another word for cotton swab?

Also, can I use 90% alcohol to clean? I have that.

I have a HTC Inspire. I took a bunch of pictures, after I looked over them, I wanted to start a file just for these particular pics. I was looking around to see how to do that when all of sudden I got the message 'Insert SD card'. The card was in and had not been removed since it was originally put in (approx 2 years ago). Now everything that was on my SD card is unacceptable. I do not know if it is gone or not. My son tried putting it into his phone and also his computer and still nothing was showing up.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!​

SenkeMamba

Aug 3, 2013
Adapter won't load

So, I've bought a new 8 gb class 10 card on monday (3 days ago), and I've partitioned it for Swapper and tried using Link2SD to clear out some space, but I probably messed up in the proces somewhere and the Link2SD only moved apps to my internal memory again. So I went to partition it again, used the MiniTool Partition Wizard, created the three partitions but when I clicked Apply, the program said Bad Disc (or something like that) and since then my adapter won't load up the card. It works on my phone now, but it hasn't in the first 2 minutes. And I can connect the phone with the USB, too. But I need the adapter to make the partition again for the Swapper and Link2SD.

Anybody knows what's the problem here?
One more thing - If anyone thinks it's the adapter, it's not. I've tried with two different adapters, and it's still the same.

Last edited:

datsoy

Jun 6, 2013
Great!

Thank you for this guide.

-----------------
How do we know the class of a sd?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created to address the hundreds of "Ma SD Don't Work" Threads spawned in the Accessories forum. After seeing and answering many of these, I though it would be appropriate to simply create a thread for this.​

Almost 80% of all of these defective SD card threads have common solutions. I will list these below.

Kingston said:
    995193720208439342.jpg

1) A corrupt SD card:
    Deftone said:
    SD cards, especially the Micro SD generation can be damaged very easily if you are not careful. Any physical damage to the card will or the gold contacts will cause it to become unreadable. You know your card is corrupt when the computer cannot explore the card. SD cards can be damaged by forcing them out of the device they are in. If your SD card has become stuck in your computer, camera, MP3 player or printer.

It is best to take the device to a professional to have it removed, rather than trying to force the card from the device using probes, such as paperclips or screwdrivers. If the casing for your SD card becomes damaged or you accidentally damage the inside of your card, you could lose the data currently stored on the card and render the card useless in the future. Also, once it is corrupt, you cannot even sell it for parts or use it as a paperweight because of its low weight.
    2) Dirty Contacts:
    Deftone said:
    If the gold contacts are dirty in anyway, this will mean the device will not be able to read it. Using a finger can scratch the contacts and make it corrupt. Instead use a cloth, microfiber if you have one. The reader, (device) will also accumulate dust over time. Clean out the reader with an earbud. This may also solve this issue.
    ADDITIONAL: Thanks to hb-kevin for mentioning that you can " clean the contacts with denatured alcohol. It's a cleaning alcohol that is perfectly safe on electronics such as computers, motherboards, and phone parts. If all else fails, try giving the contacts a gentle scrub with some alcohol and a soft toothbrush. "
    3) Corrupt Data:
    Deftone said:
    Removing an SD card from a computer without properly ejecting it can cause software damage to the card. Removing your SD card while your computer is trying to read it or removing the card from a camera or MP3 player that is powered on could cause your SD card to lose the data that is stored on it and force you to reformat the card before using it again. Many tools can be found online to help you with this pursuit.

4) Casing:
    Deftone said:
    SD cards are enclosed in a small plastic casing that can be easily damaged if the card is left unprotected in a pocket, chewed on by the dog or stepped on. If the casing for your SD card has become damaged, do not put the card into a device (it might become stuck). Instead, take the card to a data recovery center in your area and have a professional recover any files you might need from the card.

5) The "Write Protected" Issue
    Deftone said:
    On many SD cards (not many micro) there is a physical switch on the side of the card. This is a write lock. This means that if the switch is up and locked, the sd will refuse any data trying to be written to it. As a result, no data will be copied to the card - if it is in a computer, you will get a popup dialogue notifying you that it is write protected, just flick the switch.

The write protection could have also been enabled in a computer. To disable it, just right click on the SD in my computer and then click properties. Then go to attributes. If "read only" is checked, uncheck it. This could be the source of your problems.

Please hit thanks if you found this useful.
    Please read this before posting another SD thread.

If any further help is required, please leave it down below.

EDIT: Thanks to Cooleagle for making this a sticky. Because of the stick, many more people will see this first and not have to create a thread.
    Looks like a nice guide buddy, has been made a sticky.

Keep up the good work & Cheers ! :)
    Need to add one more to your list OP. This is one that bit me in the ass the last time I tried to move to CM 10.1

Format incompatibility. CM 10.1 does not support the exFAT or NTFS filesystems required to make effective use of SDCards >32GB.

Let me explain:

SDXC MicrosSD cards now come in capacities over 64GB and, as shipped, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 supports them in hardware and software.

Capacities of over 32GB are very trouble-prone when using the mroe common FAT32 file system found on lower capacity SDcards. Worse, Windows absolutely refuses to format a +64GB SDCard to FAT32. Samsung (and I am sure other vendors that support 64GB SDCards) have licensed Microsoft's exFAT filesystem to legally provide support for exFAT. However CyanogenMod does not have this licensing in place and Google does nto provide blanket licensing for it.

This is a royal pain to those of us that have a 64GB SDCard in our Sammy GS4s, but want to move to SM10.1 or related rom. This leaves either reformatting your +64GB SDCard as FAT32 using a third party utility OR downsizing to a 32GB SDCard if you want to run anything except the bloated, OEM-branded, as-shipped ROM.
    Nice guide maby we need it to stickied. :D

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I have PM'd cooleagle the mod but nothing yet. If I still have nothing by tonight, I will PM another mod because cooleagle might be too busy.
    Not possible

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk