• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] The ultimate Guide to Speed Up your Hero "safely"!! (any ROM)

Search This thread

MaXo64

Aug 26, 2009
Hi all..
Are you ready to unleash the hidden Power of your HTC Hero?? :cool:
many have used CPUOverclock, but faced a lot problems regarding Battery life, right? well, here is how you can balance it. and make the battery stay longer with the same performance ;)
you also can configure Android internal task killer to boost your ROM even more ;) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666

NOTE: this guide requires that your phone is rooted !!

Step 1: you need 2 applications "Overclock widget" and "Spare Parts" << download both from Market.

Step 2: add "Overclock widget" to any homescreen. click on it then click on "Advanced Settings" and set the Frequencies as following:
Screen On:
Max: 528000
Min: 528000

check the "differ freq Screen .." button.
Screen Off:
Max: 384000
Min: 245760 << you can put it to 128000 to save more battery, but lagges Music sometimes.

go down the list and click on "Save"..

Finally, Step 3: (not needed on 2.x ROMs)
go to the app "Spare Parts" and find "End Button Behavior" and set it to "Go to Sleep"..

you are done :)

Explanation: HTC made the CPU at 384 MHz and automatically overclock to 528 MHz if needed (both screen ON or OFF). this actually affects the Usability of the Phone :(
this method will make the CPU at best when screen is ON, and saves a looooot of battery when screen is OFF.

Statistics: using SoftWeg Benchmarking app (in the market) :
Stock ROM 2.73:
different tests:
CPU total score: 125-130

Modaco ROM 3.0:
different tests:
CPU total score: 121-130 << that's why I changed back to rooted Stock 2.73

Stock 2.73 with this method:
different tests:
CPU total score: 170-178 !!!

kaguDroid 1.2.1 with this method:
different tests:
CPU total score: 220-282 !!!

I used it on KaguDroid1.2 and the Live wallpapers performed better and no lagges :D .. but I forgot to take benchmarks numbers :eek:

GPU benchmarks were improved too, but I focused on CPU more.

I'm in the process of making an Eclair ROM with SenseUI (that supports Arabic) and if someone could help me make the Kernel perform like this by default without this method, please PM me ASAP !!!

Last edited:

ratson

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 2, 2009
andrs.w3pla.net
OnePlus 8T
when i first started this on my MCR3.2 Hero, settings were were you suggested to be. is this normal? so i didn't have to set anything.
actually this does nothing whatever freq i set.

Last edited:

MaXo64

Aug 26, 2009
when i first started this on my MCR3.2 Hero, settings were were you suggested to be. is this normal? so i didn't have to set anything.
actually this does nothing whatever freq i set.

true, but make sure to set the "Spare Parts" thingy, so the CPUOverclock know that your phone is really in "Sleep" mode. or your battery will drain..

Basileus1893

Feb 3, 2010
So, if we compare this:

Screen On:
Your Setting: 528 MHz
HTC default: 384-528 MHz

Screen Off:
Your Setting: 245-384 MHz

So with your settings, we can only save battery if screen is off? If screen is on, with your setting, i need more battery than the default value? But it runs evertime at full speed...

Am I right with this?

MaXo64

Aug 26, 2009
So, if we compare this:

Screen On:
Your Setting: 528 MHz

Screen Off:
Your Setting: 245-384 MHz

So with your settings, we can only save battery if screen is off? If screen is on, with your setting, i need more battery than the default value? But it runs evertime at full speed...

Am I right with this?

exactly, but you get the advantage of no lagging caused by auto-clocking as in HTC settings.

experience this for two days and you'll see .. you'll love your phone a LOT ;)