• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][TMO][STOCK][GM1915][Android 11] T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro OOS 11.0.1.2-11.0.1.4 Root with Patched Boot Image

Search This thread

Zexceed9

Sep 19, 2021
This guide is specifically for stock T-Mobile firmware on devices that have been carrier unlocked.

If you are carrier unlocked and have unlocked your bootloader and are on OOS 11, then this method will root your device.

Otherwise see the link in the OP for the bootloader unlock thread.

You install magisk-manager on your phone. You copy the patched boot image to the directory on your pc where fastboot is installed.

angelo18

Sep 30, 2009
Im sorry but I only work with T-Mobile devices. I don't have any other firmware on hand and I do not have any way of testing things for other devices. How are you patching the boot image?
Hi how are you i have a 7pro with T-Mobile . I did a network permanent unlock thing in the about settings.

Now the oem unlock option is not gray out anymore in the dev settings .

Now can i starts the steps to unlock the bootloader and load a custom rom on it. That's the part that has me confused.
Thank you

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
Hi how are you i have a 7pro with T-Mobile . I did a network permanent unlock thing in the about settings.

Now the oem unlock option is not gray out anymore in the dev settings .

Now can i starts the steps to unlock the bootloader and load a custom rom on it. That's the part that has me confused.
Thank you
In the OP there is a link to a thread that walks you through unlocking the bootloader. I'm afraid i don't have the time to try to teach you how to use adb and fastboot. there are plenty of resources out there for that. the bootloader unlock guide will take you through the process. you need to request an unlock code from oneplus by following that thread. it takes about a week or so to get it after submitting an application. once you get it, you can unlock the bootloader using fastboot as described in the bootloader thread

angelo18

Sep 30, 2009
In the OP there is a link to a thread that walks you through unlocking the bootloader. I'm afraid i don't have the time to try to teach you how to use adb and fastboot. there are plenty of resources out there for that. the bootloader unlock guide will take you through the process. you need to request an unlock code from oneplus by following that thread. it takes about a week or so to get it after submitting an application. once you get it, you can unlock the bootloader using fastboot as described in the bootloader thread
Thank you, this is Great to know. I'll get on it..
Adb is set up already. . I used the process. I rooted all of my HTC phones. But looks likes 2 years out of the loop and things change a lot. Now there is magisk and some now TWRP recovery isn't working. Now roms are being flash using adb commands. That is great , but looks like the process still the same..

Thank you for answering

angelo18

Sep 30, 2009
Thank you, this is Great to know. I'll get on it..
Adb is set up already. . I used the process. I rooted all of my HTC phones. But looks likes 2 years out of the loop and things change a lot. Now there is magisk and some now TWRP recovery isn't working. Now roms are being flash using adb commands. That is great , but looks like the process still the same..

Thank you for answering
One more question, which rom would you recommend as a Daily driver. Also why most of the threads have [guacamole ] on it lol

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
One more question, which rom would you recommend as a Daily driver. Also why most of the threads have [guacamole ] on it lol
Be careful with TWRP and custom roms on the GM1915. I believe you might be able to boot to TWRP if you get the right version, but don't try to install it. I bricked a previous gm1915 by trying.

Most of the fastboot commands are disabled on the gm1915. so flashing in fastboot is limited to only a few partitions.

Personally, i have stuck with the stock TMO firmware with root. on stock, i can use magisk-manager to add riru and then edxposed manager to add xposed framework which gives you a lot more control over appearance and performance(if you know how to tweak performance stuff)

if you are wanting to use custom roms, it may be worth it for you to install the international GM21AA firmware instead of stock GM31CB.

Ive heard from a few people they have been able to flash TWRP to the phone using the international firmware

angelo18

Sep 30, 2009
Be careful with TWRP and custom roms on the GM1915. I believe you might be able to boot to TWRP if you get the right version, but don't try to install it. I bricked a previous gm1915 by trying.

Most of the fastboot commands are disabled on the gm1915. so flashing in fastboot is limited to only a few partitions.

Personally, i have stuck with the stock TMO firmware with root. on stock, i can use magisk-manager to add riru and then edxposed manager to add xposed framework which gives you a lot more control over appearance and performance(if you know how to tweak performance stuff)

if you are wanting to use custom roms, it may be worth it for you to install the international GM21AA firmware instead of stock GM31CB.

Ive heard from a few people they have been able to flash TWRP to the phone using the international firmware
Man, when i had the HTC 11 xposed frameworks were getting initial development. is done . remember I had to get the images I wanted then go into recovery and flash them, then the icons would look sick ..lol
looks now things are way simpler
that's the second reason I want to root the phone too,..

I want to root it to take full use of the gcam mod, that camera software is so much better than the stock. finally, I got an 8.1 version to work, but it crashes if I pick the ultra-wide lense,

in my experience the international version is better , is easy . the firmware is what tells the what it is,

I send the email to OnePlus . hopefully they are nice.... the page looked weird and it had two options in the bottom , I picked email.

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
I want to root it to take full use of the gcam mod, that camera software is so much better than the stock. finally, I got an 8.1 version to work, but it crashes if I pick the ultra-wide lense,

I've always had camera support issues on TMO phones when trying to use other roms/firmware. That's another reason I've stuck with stock. Otherwise the extra lenses havent worked. I don't mind the OnePlus camera app personally

angelo18

Sep 30, 2009
I've always had camera support issues on TMO phones when trying to use other roms/firmware. That's another reason I've stuck with stock. Otherwise the extra lenses havent worked. I don't mind the OnePlus camera app personally
How old is your 7pro. Mine is 2 years, is it time to change the Battery?
I do the gcam offers so much quality.
But i also want to customize a lot of stuff with xpose frameworks.
I sent the request to OnePlus by email. You say it takes a week?

Again thanks for the post and replays .

preference

May 3, 2017
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 7 Pro

Yeah it took about a week for me, haven't used the code yet though. I found that adblocking can be done without root, so outside of substratum, I don't have a real reason to crack the bootloader.

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta

i had mine replaced by insurance after it lost it's water resistance a few months ago. it started having problems detecting the sim card if it got wet

did you literally send the request by email? i don't think that will work. you need to use their unlock application form. it's listed in the bootloader unlock thread linked in the OP

the unlock code took about a week for me. hopefully

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
I have a 11.0.1.5 update sitting on my device, but it's really small and I cant extract the payload. TMO doesnt even have it listed on their site, and my usual source doesnt have it yet.

As soon as I can get the full OTA I'll add it here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Guide is intended for OP7 Pro Devices that are already running Android 11 after the May 2021 TMO OTA.

DO NOT flash the provided boot image if your device has not been updated to android 11.

REQUIREMENTS

Before proceeding, you must make sure your GM1915 bootloader has been unlocked, and you have the required tools installed on your PC.

For additional information, please see section 1 of the TMO OP7 Pro Unlock/TWRP Thread

Please Note: TWRP is not compatible with Android 11 on the GM1915 at this time. Do not attempt to install it.

Thanks to @justencase6 for providing a copy of the 11.0.1.2 OTA package.

INSTRUCTIONS

MAKE SURE you flash the correct boot image. Only flash the boot image of the OOS version you are running or you will have boot issues.
    1. Install Magisk Manager v23 on your device if it is not already installed.
    2. Download the patched boot image that matches your current OOS version from below.
      Copy the downloaded image to your fastboot directory.
      To make things a little easier, you can rename this file to "boot.img"
    3. Reboot your device to the bootloader using the advanced reboot menu or
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    4. Confirm your device is detected by fastboot :
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    5. Flash the patched boot image to the boot partition :
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot_a magisk-patched-OOS-11.0-boot.img
      fastboot flash boot_b magisk-patched-OOS-11.0-boot.img
    6. Reboot device :
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Your device should now be rooted. Run Magisk Manager and confirm the installation status. You should see the following under "Magisk"

Code:
    Installed: 23.0 (23000)  A/B: Yes
    Ramdisk:   Yes           SAR: Yes

DOWNLOADS

magisk-patched-OOS-11.0.1.2-boot.img
    MD5: bad8c767748e49e818d8b5ab698ed6f8

magisk_patched-boot-11.0.1.3.img
    MD5: 26864b63727bba2c64ac929838d11f08

magisk-patched-boot-11.0.1.4.img
    MD5: 0e6767c739b9cbf9e99562d01472d9c0

I will continue to release these for future OTA's. I don't monitor TMO release dates, I just wait for the OTA notification on my phone so it may take longer for me to find out there is an update.

Feel free to PM me when a new update is pushed out.
    yes, absolutely, the phone boots normally if reflashed with the unmodified boot image. and also yes I use Magisk Manager to select and patch the aforementioned image that can be found in the download folder.
    after a little searching, I have found some other people reporting bootloops with magisk that are caused by incompatible modules being installed.

if you had modules installed previously, you can remove them using adb shell.

Code:
    adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules

It's not clear if you need to have magisk on the device first or not, but I would try this method to remove any installed modules, flash the patched boot image again, and see if that helps.
    Deleted at OP request
    Thank you for this guide.
    Can you make an OTA Update patched for Tmobile ? GM1915 :)
    I have the patched 11.0.1.4 boot image, just waiting for sourceforge to come back online from maintenance so i can upload it. ill hopefully have it up tonight
    Sorry, but now, i must flash the 11.0.1.4 and will wipe my phone ? i'm searching another solution to flash this version, without wipe my phone please :( i'm rooted in 11.0.1.3.
    Thx
    No, NEVER flash the boot image for a version you are not running.
    1. In Magisk Manager, Tap Uninstall Magisk -> Restore Images
    2. Go to your phone Settings -> System -> System Update and take the OTA. Your phone will reboot automatically when it's done.
    3. Reboot to fastboot and flash the 11.0.1.4 boot image using instructions in the OP