[GUIDE][TMO][STOCK][GM1915][Android 11] T-Mobile OnePlus 7 Pro OOS 11.0.1.2-11.0.1.8 Root with Patched Boot Image

Search This thread

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
I understand completely. Which is why I went through all the trouble of converting mine to the International version. Too bad it didn't work out. :(
I failed to get a full boot from the OTA. But reached out to an old friend in the LG community that is really smart and has experience working with binaries. I'm going to see if he might be able to help me. Otherwise, we may end up having to wait for the next update.

UncivilTiki

Mar 18, 2022
I failed to get a full boot from the OTA. But reached out to an old friend in the LG community that is really smart and has experience working with binaries. I'm going to see if he might be able to help me. Otherwise, we may end up having to wait for the next update.
Will be watching this thread closely. Thank you for all you're doing to help us out. It's annoying that TMO doesn't bother to post the updates anymore.

Reactions: weakNPCdotCom

Hayatzada

Jul 26, 2013
Lahore
This Guide is intended for OP7 Pro Devices that are already running Android 11 after the May 2021 TMO OTA.

DO NOT flash the provided boot image if your device has not been updated to android 11.

REQUIREMENTS

Before proceeding, you must make sure your GM1915 bootloader has been unlocked, and you have the required tools installed on your PC.

For additional information, please see section 1 of the TMO OP7 Pro Unlock/TWRP Thread

Please Note: TWRP is not compatible with Android 11 on the GM1915 at this time. Do not attempt to install it.

Thanks to @justencase6 for providing a copy of the 11.0.1.2 OTA package.

INSTRUCTIONS

MAKE SURE you flash the correct boot image. Only flash the boot image of the OOS version you are running or you will have boot issues.
  1. Install Magisk Manager v23 on your device if it is not already installed.
  2. Download the patched boot image that matches your current OOS version from below.
    Copy the downloaded image to your fastboot directory.
    To make things a little easier, you can rename this file to "boot.img"
  3. Reboot your device to the bootloader using the advanced reboot menu or
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  4. Confirm your device is detected by fastboot :
    Code:
    fastboot devices
  5. Flash the patched boot image to the boot partition :
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_a magisk-patched-OOS-11.0-boot.img
    fastboot flash boot_b magisk-patched-OOS-11.0-boot.img
  6. Reboot device :
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Your device should now be rooted. Run Magisk Manager and confirm the installation status. You should see the following under "Magisk"

Code:
Installed: 23.0 (23000)  A/B: Yes
Ramdisk:   Yes           SAR: Yes

DOWNLOADS

magisk-patched-OOS-11.0.1.2-boot.img
MD5: bad8c767748e49e818d8b5ab698ed6f8

magisk_patched-boot-11.0.1.3.img
MD5: 26864b63727bba2c64ac929838d11f08

magisk-patched-boot-11.0.1.4.img
MD5: 0e6767c739b9cbf9e99562d01472d9c0

Due to problems updating and 11.0.1.5 being an incremental update, this image is not available

I will continue to release these for future OTA's. I don't monitor TMO release dates, I just wait for the OTA notification on my phone so it may take longer for me to find out there is an update.

Feel free to PM me when a new update is pushed out.
Hi

I have OP7P GM1915 which is already been converted /rebranded to International firmware 10.3.8, Now When i Update to international firmware 11.xxx My screen get Black after lock, and display only work with QHD+ 90Hz which drain my battery alot.

I want to try T Mobile firmware but it's a bit confused bcz i have questions....

My Question is if i flash your Provided Boot images to gain root then will my phone remains carrier unlocked and Both Sims will work or Not?

2nd- will it resolve Black Lock screen On Tmobile firmware with unlocked Carriers?

Thank you For your Hard work
Waiting for your reply

Last edited:

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
Hi

I have OP7P GM1915 which is already been converted /rebranded to International firmware 10.3.8, Now When i Update to international firmware 11.xxx My screen get Black after lock, and display only work with QHD+ 90Hz which drain my battery alot.

I want to try T Mobile firmware but it's a bit confused bcz i have questions....

My Question is if i flash your Provided Boot images to gain root then will my phone remains carrier unlocked and Both Sims will work or Not?

2nd- will it resolve Black Lock screen On Tmobile firmware with unlocked Carriers?

Thank you For your Hard work
Waiting for your reply
If you want to switch to stock TMO firmware, you'll have to use the MSM tool, re-unlock your bootloader, and then flash the correct patched boot image.

komenzar

Mar 18, 2011
I'm in the same boat as the guy above. He isn't asking about stock T-Mobile firmware he's asking about rooted.

Our phones used to be TMobile but we converted to International to be able to carrier unlock.

I recently took the International OTA thinking my root would stay and if course it didn't. So now I need to know what to do to get rooted again.

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
I'm in the same boat as the guy above. He isn't asking about stock T-Mobile firmware he's asking about rooted.

Our phones used to be TMobile but we converted to International to be able to carrier unlock.

I recently took the International OTA thinking my root would stay and if course it didn't. So now I need to know what to do to get rooted again.
Revert to 9.5.10 with the MSM tool and then install OTA. I'm posting 11.0.1.8 patched boot today

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
11.0.1.8 Files are Up.
Please Note: I am on Canary Magisk, so the boot image was flashed with the latest canary release. Make sure you install the latest Magisk Manager app, Magisk Manager may show an unusual version number after flashing (since it's a canary build)

Reactions: chibichuba

DaveImagery

Jun 7, 2014
Is it just a security update, or are there any bug fixes/improvements in 11.0.1.8? Lot of work (in my case) to revert back to 9.5, grab the OTA, and restore about 90,000 apps lol :)

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
Is it just a security update, or are there any bug fixes/improvements in 11.0.1.8? Lot of work (in my case) to revert back to 9.5, grab the OTA, and restore about 90,000 apps lol :)
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to try to work on figuring out the easiest method to take the OTA. I'll update you if I can manage to do it and avoid the whole revert process.

Reactions: DaveImagery

DaveImagery

Jun 7, 2014
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to try to work on figuring out the easiest method to take the OTA. I'll update you if I can manage to do it and avoid the whole revert process.

I found a neat app on Fdroid, called Neo Backup, does a great job of backing up apps and their external data. So I guess that might ease the upgrade process a bit. But yeah if you come up with a superior method, I'm all ears. :)

mikenugget

May 20, 2022
Hi, can someone please help me? This morning I "accidentally" updated to 11.0.7.1.GM21AA without installing it to an inactive slot, so I'm no longer rooted ): What should I do If I wanted root again? I've searched endlessly but I can't seem to find a solid answer.

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
Hi, can someone please help me? This morning I "accidentally" updated to 11.0.7.1.GM21AA without installing it to an inactive slot, so I'm no longer rooted ): What should I do If I wanted root again? I've searched endlessly but I can't seem to find a solid answer.
Sorry, this thread is dedicated to GM31CB updates only. I dont have any experience with the india or international stuff. but.. how did you get it to update in the first place? Mine wont take OTA's anymore.

mikenugget

May 20, 2022
I had the OTA since March I think, but I didn't installed it until today and now I'm so pissed ): So you don't know anything that can help me get back my precious root?

weakNPCdotCom

Aug 16, 2018
Atlanta
I found a neat app on Fdroid, called Neo Backup, does a great job of backing up apps and their external data. So I guess that might ease the upgrade process a bit. But yeah if you come up with a superior method, I'm all ears. :)
well... sad to say it, but no matter what I do I cannot get the phone to install the OTA. I have done everything outside of re-locking the bootloader.

With that said Dave, I think I'm going to be upgrading to an unlocked 7T Mclaren soon. It's the only device I can find with specs as good as the 7 Pro and if I can get a non-TMO model I wont have these stupid issues anymore.

Ill keep everybody posted. But I'm ready to ditch this phone.

DaveImagery

Jun 7, 2014
well... sad to say it, but no matter what I do I cannot get the phone to install the OTA. I have done everything outside of re-locking the bootloader.

With that said Dave, I think I'm going to be upgrading to an unlocked 7T Mclaren soon. It's the only device I can find with specs as good as the 7 Pro and if I can get a non-TMO model I wont have these stupid issues anymore.

Ill keep everybody posted. But I'm ready to ditch this phone.
I 100% understand. It's ridiculous. Last T-Mobile phone I ever buy, that's for sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Guide is intended for OP7 Pro Devices that are already running Android 11 after the May 2021 TMO OTA.

DO NOT flash the provided boot image if your device has not been updated to android 11.

REQUIREMENTS

Before proceeding, you must make sure your GM1915 bootloader has been unlocked, and you have the required tools installed on your PC.

For additional information, please see section 1 of the TMO OP7 Pro Unlock/TWRP Thread

Please Note: TWRP is not compatible with Android 11 on the GM1915 at this time. Do not attempt to install it.

Thanks to @justencase6 for providing a copy of the 11.0.1.2 OTA package.

INSTRUCTIONS

MAKE SURE you flash the correct boot image. Only flash the boot image of the OOS version you are running or you will have boot issues.
    1. Install the latest Magisk Manager on your device if it is not already installed.
    2. Download the patched boot image that matches your current OOS version from below.
      Copy the downloaded image to your fastboot directory.
      To make things a little easier, you can rename this file to "boot.img"
    3. Reboot your device to the bootloader using the advanced reboot menu or
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    4. Confirm your device is detected by fastboot :
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    5. Flash the patched boot image to the boot partition :
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot_a magisk-patched-OOS-11.0-boot.img
      fastboot flash boot_b magisk-patched-OOS-11.0-boot.img
    6. Reboot device :
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Your device should now be rooted. Run Magisk Manager and confirm the installation status. You should see the following under "Magisk"

Code:
    Installed: 23.0 (23000)  A/B: Yes
    Ramdisk:   Yes           SAR: Yes

DOWNLOADS

magisk-patched-OOS-11.0.1.2-boot.img
    MD5: bad8c767748e49e818d8b5ab698ed6f8

magisk_patched-boot-11.0.1.3.img
    MD5: 26864b63727bba2c64ac929838d11f08

magisk-patched-boot-11.0.1.4.img
    MD5: 0e6767c739b9cbf9e99562d01472d9c0

Due to problems updating and 11.0.1.5 being an incremental update, this image is not available

Incremetal Update - No Boot Image Available

I will continue to release these for future OTA's. I don't monitor TMO release dates, I just wait for the OTA notification on my phone so it may take longer for me to find out there is an update.

Feel free to PM me when a new update is pushed out.
    Thank you for your continued work
    11.0.1.6 Links have been added to OP. Links for both patched and stock this time.

@christianpeso
    After reverting to 9.5.10 with the MSM tool, I was finally able to update to 11.0.1.6. I have to re-unlock my bootloader though, and I noticed that the OP unlock request link is no longer working. No idea what's going on with that.

Anyways, ill be posting the 11.0.1.6 patched boot today sometime.
    I finally got around to wanting to root my device and I am on the latest 11.0.1.6 version. Looking forward to this. Thank You!
    Im sorry but I only work with T-Mobile devices. I don't have any other firmware on hand and I do not have any way of testing things for other devices. How are you patching the boot image?
    extracted the boot.img from payload.bin with python.
    patched the extracted img with the latest magisk 23.0
    flash the patched img with fastboot to both slots a and b
    fastboot reboot aaaaaaaaand voila a nice bootloop

solution

adb reboot bootloader
    reflash stock img to slots a and b
    fastboot reboot aaaaaaaaand voila a nice phone with no root hahaha