• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Guide to Flash CM12.1 in ZF2 for newbies

Search This thread

ansebovi

Guys don't use this guide for now, don't use official unlocking method for now..

TO flash the CM12.1 in your Zf2 you must unlock the bootloader [WARNING: it will void the warranty]
I'm not responsible for bricked phone,try on your own risk
and official ASUS warning for unlocking bootloader ,its long so read it by clicking show content
Before you download, install, and use the Unlock Device App you acknowledge and assume complete risk to the quality and performance of this App, including but not limited to the following: once you activate the App you will not be able to recover your ASUS product (“Original Product”) back to original locked conditions; the Original Product with the activated App will not be deemed the Original Product; the Revised Product will no longer be covered under the warranty of the Original Product; the software of Revised Product will no longer be deemed the software of the Original Product and can no longer receive ASUS software updates; your purchased digital content may also be affected.

You also acknowledge ASUS does not guarantee service satisfaction to any Revised Product, including events involving paid service requested by you to be performed to the Revised Product.
Furthermore, such repaired Revised Product will not be covered under the warranty of the Original Product; the software of the repaired Revised Product will not be deemed the software of the Original Product and will not receive ASUS software updates.
It is strongly advised that you avoid activating this App unless you fully understand and accept the risks that may arise.
What this guide giving steps for:[just more like summary]
  1. Files Needed and Required before Steps: - Just basic drivers to activate adb,fastboot system wide
  2. Steps For Flashing CM12.1 : - unlocking bootloader, flashing twrp recovery and then flashing CM12.1,gapps and supersu.zip

Files Needed and Required before Steps:

Steps For Flashing CM12.1 :
  1. unlock bootloader instructions:
    • Update your software image to V2.20.40.59 or latest version
    • download app for ZE551ML[all 2gb,4gb] here and for ZE550Ml here
    • install, and use the Unlock Device App downloaded from above step
  2. Download untethered twrp from here (zooa is for all ze551ml,z008 is for ze550ml),
  3. if the .img you just downloaded doesnt have name as twrp.img [it may have version along it] then please rename that to twrp.img[remove those versions] and turn off ur phone, plug the usb cable in ur phone port,hold the VOL UP[no need to press the power] and connect the other end of cable to PC port,wait for few seconds till the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command or Continue the fastboot process"
  4. select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"...[in case you are wondering where and how see pics here or here]
  5. Copy and paste the following command in the command prompt window
    Code:
     fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
  6. after it finish the flashing[it will take less than 10sec only],u can unplug the phone, boot the phone.
  7. download CM12.1 latest version or nightly from here [NOTE:see the date of the build to know the latest version]
  8. get the gapps from here
  9. get the supersu.zip from here
  10. after downloading all zips,..place all in your micro SDCARD
  11. now power off, Once it is off, hold down the volume up button and hold on to the power button until the phone vibrates. After the vibration stops, release the power button and continue pressing the volume up button until the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command" ,Now here click vol down till you see Recovery mode in top big rectangle box,click power button
  12. it will enter twrp,first take the backup of ur current OS[tick everything], choose sdcard for backup,so u can restore if u want to use stock at some point[even the apps will be there,but if you kept the obb,data in internal,it will be wiped,so better copy android folder to pc]
  13. now click wipe,click advanced wipe,select everything except the microsd [be careful],if u want to keep the internal files,then untick internal storage also
  14. Click the install,choose externalSD, search for those zip,and install CM.zip ,then install Gapps.zip,then supersu.zip,now reboot..
  15. Enjoy the CM12.1 in ZF2
For bugs ,discussion please goto Main Thread: here
BUGS: here

Credits : there are lot of ppl who contributed to have CM12.1 in zf2 than those who i mentioned below,thanks for them also..
@sorg for new unlocked bootloader without root
@shakalaca for old unlocked bootloader with root
@ravian29 for unlocking guide
@TheSSJ for TWRP ,thread is here
@jrior001 , @crpalmer , @hharte for CM12.1

Attachments

• twrpimg.jpg
    twrpimg.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 8,200
  • twrpim2.jpg
    twrpim2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 7,585
Last edited:

texla

Aug 18, 2012
OK, so far I'm unlocked. But, I'm stuck on step 3 - select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"

EDIT:Got it! I had to open the actual folder first with TWRP in it (adb is where I put it) in my C drive then the right click + shift works as you said within the folder - thanks so much for this tutorial!

Last edited:

Ntrasme

Oct 27, 2013
Is it neccessary to be on 2.19.40.22? There wasn't much of a difference between 2.19.40.20 and 2.19.40.22. Would I have to flash the OTA then flash CM? Also, do you recommend wiping cache/dalvik after flashing GAPPS just in case?
PS: Thank you Ansebovi! All your guides are easy to read and follow.

Last edited:

GreatItami

May 18, 2013
OnePlus 8
OK, so far I'm unlocked. But, I'm stuck on step 3 - select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"

EDIT:Got it! I had to open the actual folder first with TWRP in it (adb is where I put it) in my C drive then the right click + shift works as you said within the folder - thanks so much for this tutorial!

I did it by downloading Terminal for Android and putting the image on the internal storage and then opening Terminal and did this
su
dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/by-name/recovery
reboot recovery

cjvzla

Apr 25, 2011
CM12 zip is downloading really slow...i know its only 350mb but is going at barely 45kb/s ..is this normal? i know its not my connection -.-

ansebovi

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3419717&stc=1&d=1437962670
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3419716&stc=1&d=1437962670
both works :)
Is it neccessary to be on 2.19.40.22? There wasn't much of a difference between 2.19.40.20 and 2.19.40.22. Would I have to flash the OTA then flash CM? Also, do you recommend wiping cache/dalvik after flashing GAPPS just in case?
i updated from .20 and i had the mtp bug which others didnt have,..so i think its better to have .22 , try with .20 and look for bugs..only problem,u cant report the bug to them,since they are seeing with .22
CM12 zip is downloading really slow...i know its only 350mb but is going at barely 45kb/s ..is this normal? i know its not my connection -.-
no i downloaded the zip with 700KBps-1MBps ,definitely no problem from their side

Reactions: texla and Ntrasme

Ntrasme

Oct 27, 2013
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3419717&stc=1&d=1437962670
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3419716&stc=1&d=1437962670

i updated from .20 and i had the mtp bug which others didnt have,..so i think its better to have .22 , try with .20 and look for bugs..only problem,u cant report the bug to them,since they are seeing with .22

no i downloaded the zip with 700KBps-1MBps ,definitely no problem from their side

OK, thank you. BTW do you know if TWRP can sideload the ota zips? Is there a conflict if I use ProjectT kernel while sideloading OTA? You are more knowledged than me. :)

ansebovi

...wow this a great rom :)
excuse me for asking but is this already running in 64bit mode?
or it is still 32bit?
they used asus stock .22 latest update as base,so it should be x86 till the asus release x64bit and Cm updated to that firmware ...

OK, thank you. BTW do you know if TWRP can sideload the ota zips? Is there a conflict if I use ProjectT kernel while sideloading OTA? You are more knowledged than me. :)
ota have patch for boot and recovery,..not a gud idea to flash ota with twrp,custom kernel...it may end up in failure

Reactions: Ntrasme

cjvzla

Apr 25, 2011
hi, finished downloading needed files, unlocked bootloader succesfully (white splash screen) , rooted, and installed unthetered twrp just like in the steps, however, when i tried to enter recovery for the first time just showed android on the floor with ERROR and red triangle logo...nothing happens so just rebooted and wating for a tip...thanks.

EDIT: sorry i did not read the same problem being resolved on page 1... got twrp running now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AsusZenFonePls

ansebovi

Bro is there any bugs ? Please post bug list

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62014498&postcount=2
btw dont quote the whole op anywhere in xda please..edit ur post and delete the quote :)

sry i forgot to answer the other qn before...no need to wipe cache after installing gapps as we wiping before the installation of both
and thanks for compliment :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jck_w and Ntrasme

Ntrasme

Oct 27, 2013
btw dont quote the whole op anywhere in xda please..edit ur post and delete the quote :)
sry i forgot to answer the other qn before...no need to wipe cache after installing gapps as we wiping before the installation of both

OK, thanks. Now to go on the long process of resetting everything so I can apply OTA. Restore stock recovery, restore stock kernel, unfreeze apps, uninstall framework, uninstall busybox, unroot.

Gr2p

Apr 25, 2012
Bordeaux
For 500CL ?

I can't wait for this rom for the 500cl Zenfone 2. The original rom is awful, with the huge amount of bloatware any so many bugs ! Any chance to have this rom for the zenfone 2 500cl ? ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys don't use this guide for now, don't use official unlocking method for now..

TO flash the CM12.1 in your Zf2 you must unlock the bootloader [WARNING: it will void the warranty]
    I'm not responsible for bricked phone,try on your own risk
    and official ASUS warning for unlocking bootloader ,its long so read it by clicking show content
    Before you download, install, and use the Unlock Device App you acknowledge and assume complete risk to the quality and performance of this App, including but not limited to the following: once you activate the App you will not be able to recover your ASUS product (“Original Product”) back to original locked conditions; the Original Product with the activated App will not be deemed the Original Product; the Revised Product will no longer be covered under the warranty of the Original Product; the software of Revised Product will no longer be deemed the software of the Original Product and can no longer receive ASUS software updates; your purchased digital content may also be affected.

You also acknowledge ASUS does not guarantee service satisfaction to any Revised Product, including events involving paid service requested by you to be performed to the Revised Product.
    Furthermore, such repaired Revised Product will not be covered under the warranty of the Original Product; the software of the repaired Revised Product will not be deemed the software of the Original Product and will not receive ASUS software updates.
    It is strongly advised that you avoid activating this App unless you fully understand and accept the risks that may arise.
    What this guide giving steps for:[just more like summary]
    1. Files Needed and Required before Steps: - Just basic drivers to activate adb,fastboot system wide
    2. Steps For Flashing CM12.1 : - unlocking bootloader, flashing twrp recovery and then flashing CM12.1,gapps and supersu.zip

Files Needed and Required before Steps:

Steps For Flashing CM12.1 :
    1. unlock bootloader instructions:
      • Update your software image to V2.20.40.59 or latest version
      • download app for ZE551ML[all 2gb,4gb] here and for ZE550Ml here
      • install, and use the Unlock Device App downloaded from above step
    2. Download untethered twrp from here (zooa is for all ze551ml,z008 is for ze550ml),
    3. if the .img you just downloaded doesnt have name as twrp.img [it may have version along it] then please rename that to twrp.img[remove those versions] and turn off ur phone, plug the usb cable in ur phone port,hold the VOL UP[no need to press the power] and connect the other end of cable to PC port,wait for few seconds till the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command or Continue the fastboot process"
    4. select the folder where you are having the twrp.img by pressing Shift + Right Click.. Then select "Open command here"...[in case you are wondering where and how see pics here or here]
    5. Copy and paste the following command in the command prompt window
      Code:
       fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    6. after it finish the flashing[it will take less than 10sec only],u can unplug the phone, boot the phone.
    7. download CM12.1 latest version or nightly from here [NOTE:see the date of the build to know the latest version]
    8. get the gapps from here
    9. get the supersu.zip from here
    10. after downloading all zips,..place all in your micro SDCARD
    11. now power off, Once it is off, hold down the volume up button and hold on to the power button until the phone vibrates. After the vibration stops, release the power button and continue pressing the volume up button until the green Android robot appears. You should see a blue line below saying "Waiting Fastboot command" ,Now here click vol down till you see Recovery mode in top big rectangle box,click power button
    12. it will enter twrp,first take the backup of ur current OS[tick everything], choose sdcard for backup,so u can restore if u want to use stock at some point[even the apps will be there,but if you kept the obb,data in internal,it will be wiped,so better copy android folder to pc]
    13. now click wipe,click advanced wipe,select everything except the microsd [be careful],if u want to keep the internal files,then untick internal storage also
    14. Click the install,choose externalSD, search for those zip,and install CM.zip ,then install Gapps.zip,then supersu.zip,now reboot..
    15. Enjoy the CM12.1 in ZF2
    For bugs ,discussion please goto Main Thread: here
    BUGS: here

Credits : there are lot of ppl who contributed to have CM12.1 in zf2 than those who i mentioned below,thanks for them also..
    @sorg for new unlocked bootloader without root
    @shakalaca for old unlocked bootloader with root
    @ravian29 for unlocking guide
    @TheSSJ for TWRP ,thread is here
    @jrior001 , @crpalmer , @hharte for CM12.1

Bro is there any bugs ? Please post bug list

Added to index, thanks for your work!
    Hi,

I've installed the 10/03 nightly according to this guide. Over at the original development forums I see posts stating that the 10/04 nightly is smooth and has long battery life. How do I go about updating to the 10/4. The CM updater in Settings/About does not detect that there is a new nightly.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
    Have to download whole zip, only official supports ota
    Or Atleast devs should add that support but he didn't for zf2 i think

Ok, so hopefully I have just one more question. I was about to start the procedure tonight but while downloading the pre-rooted system img and recovery (I think that's what they are; from MEGA website) and following the Guide to apply OTA without bootloop in Rooted ZF2 guide (Step #2 under "Guide for Unlocking" in this thread), I see the following note in that thread, for Step #4 under "Files Needed":

My phone has firmware version 2.20.40.97. The closest on the MEGA website is the folder for 2.20.40.90. Can I just download that and continue the steps, or do I need to wait until a version/file are released for my exact firmware version? If I understand the text I quoted correctly, I can download that 2.20.40.90 and it will work. But I just wanted to ask you guys to make sure, and if it is ok to download that version, if I need to do any special steps.

Thanks for any help guys.

Sry, In step 4 yes, download whatever the latest available,u can use cm 12.1 with 2.22.40.90