Guide to flashing MIUI-based roms through TWRP without hardbrick

Search This thread

Rajdip

Dec 9, 2015
Kolkata
THIS GUIDE IS FOR ALL MIUI BASED ROMS WHETHER IT IS OFFICIAL, UNOFFICIAL(Xiaomi.eu,sphinx) OR MODDED(smiui).This is for the people who unlocked bootloader through the unofficial way.
http://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/unlock-bootloader-waiting-permission-t3349886

People with officially unlocked bootloader can also try just to be on safer side...nothing to lose right?

Many people after unlocking their bootloaders flashed miui recovery/fastboot roms through twrp/miflash and got their device hardbricked with locked bootloader, which is a pretty messed up situtation, (follow this guide if you are a victim

http://en.miui.com/thread-245347-1-1.html

) and the only way to unbrick from that state is test-point method which voids warranty of course. Others who flashed fastboot roms with default recovery using miflash ends up with locked bootloader too, so I'm gonna share steps by which you can flash full recovery/fastboot roms and not get harbricked/locked bootloader:-

1) First let me tell you why it happens, every recovery rom zip file has a firmware-update folder containing a emmc_appsboot.mbn file, that file relocks bootloader everytime a full rom recovery rom is flashed, fastboot roms also have the same emmc_appsboot.mbn file.

2) To flash recovery roms through twrp, delete the emmc_appsboot.mbn file from the firmware_update folder inside the rom zip file, and then flash rom. Winrar works best, open the recovery zip file with winrar and open firmware-update folder and right click on the emmc_appsboot file and select delete, wait for it to complete(takes some time). For fastboot roms extract the download fastboot file and delete the file emmc_appsboot.mbn file from the images folder. Also in order to keep your desired recovery like TWRP intact, delete the recovery.img file. Edit :- Tested it on my Redmi note 3 pro, deleting only the emmc_appsboot.mbn file works, no need of deleting entire firmware-update folder.

3) To update roms, first download OTA through updater app (or download it from pc) and then open the OTA zip file (located inside downloaded roms folder) and delete emmc_appsboot.mbn file inside the firmware-update folder and then flash through twrp. OTA's can relock bootloader and hardbrick(as it happened in Mi4c).Can't flash OTA due to build fingerprint error? Follow this guide

http://en.miui.com/thread-262947-1-1.html

4) After flashing rom through twrp, flash modified boot.img specific for that miui version, or else you will get bootloop. Guide to make modified boot.img http://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/creating-modified-boot-img-enabling-adb-t3359916

Original Boot.img is located inside recovery rom zip.For those who dont want to do it manually, link for downloading modified boot.img

http://miuidroid.com/rn3/boot_images/

(credits to magdag)

It is required to flash modified boot.img even if you updated through OTA.

P.S:- I've tested all this using my Redmi note 3 pro, should work on other devices too. Any suggestions for improving the guide is welcome. :)
If I helped pressing thanks won't cost you a thing.:good:

Last edited:

anshude1

Feb 6, 2014
Can you update or post the modded boot image for latest SD 7.2.3.0 Stable global rom?

Marasd

Jul 10, 2012
I have 7.1.8. global rom with officially unloced botloader and TWRP. If I want to install the update I just download the OTA from the updater app in my phone, then remove the emmc_appsboot.mbn and flash. Do I need to flash a modified boot image after that?

KrzysiekGP

Apr 27, 2011
Warszawa
Rajdip, you wrote to first flashing rom through twrp and after that flash modified boot.img. How can I flash file boot.img through twrp?
Maby can I copy midified boot.img into rom zip file and after flashing rom?

Rajdip

Dec 9, 2015
Kolkata
Rajdip, you wrote to first flashing rom through twrp and after that flash modified boot.img. How can I flash file boot.img through twrp?
img file can flashed via TWRP, when you select install option on TWRP , look for "install image" option on right bottom part of screen, now select the modified img and then select boot and then flash.

Mayoz

Dec 16, 2013
Papua
i've succes flash official rom v stable cn 7.2.3.0...but i 've problem cannot turn on wifi....any idea how to fix it?

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
THIS GUIDE IS FOR ALL MIUI BASED ROMS WHETHER IT IS OFFICIAL, UNOFFICIAL(Xiaomi.eu,sphinx) OR MODDED(smiui).This is for the people who unlocked bootloader through the unofficial way.
http://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/unlock-bootloader-waiting-permission-t3349886

People with officially unlocked bootloader can also try just to be on safer side...nothing to lose right?

Many people after unlocking their bootloaders flashed miui recovery/fastboot roms through twrp/miflash and got their device hardbricked with locked bootloader, which is a pretty messed up situtation, (follow this guide if you are a victim

) and the only way to unbrick from that state is test-point method which voids warranty of course. Others who flashed fastboot roms with default recovery using miflash ends up with locked bootloader too, so I'm gonna share steps by which you can flash full recovery/fastboot roms and not get harbricked/locked bootloader:-

1) First let me tell you why it happens, every recovery rom zip file has a firmware-update folder containing a emmc_appsboot.mbn file, that file relocks bootloader everytime a full rom recovery rom is flashed, fastboot roms also have the same emmc_appsboot.mbn file.

2) To flash recovery roms through twrp, delete the emmc_appsboot.mbn file from the firmware_update folder inside the rom zip file, and then flash rom. Winrar works best, open the recovery zip file with winrar and open firmware-update folder and right click on the emmc_appsboot file and select delete, wait for it to complete(takes some time). For fastboot roms extract the download fastboot file and delete the file emmc_appsboot.mbn file from the images folder. Also in order to keep your desired recovery like TWRP intact, delete the recovery.img file. Edit :- Tested it on my Redmi note 3 pro, deleting only the emmc_appsboot.mbn file works, no need of deleting entire firmware-update folder.

3) To update roms, first download OTA through updater app (or download it from pc) and then open the OTA zip file (located inside downloaded roms folder) and delete emmc_appsboot.mbn file inside the firmware-update folder and then flash through twrp. OTA's can relock bootloader and hardbrick(as it happened in Mi4c).Can't flash OTA due to build fingerprint error? Follow this guide

4) After flashing rom through twrp, flash modified boot.img specific for that miui version, or else you will get bootloop. Guide to make modified boot.img http://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/creating-modified-boot-img-enabling-adb-t3359916

Original Boot.img is located inside recovery rom zip.For those who dont want to do it manually, link for downloading modified boot.img

(credits to magdag)

P.S:- I've tested all this using my Redmi note 3 pro, should work on other devices too. Any suggestions for improving the guide is welcome. :)
Currently I'm on 6.4.14 (CHINA LATEST DEV ROM) ,Can i use 6.4.14 Fastboot ROM in place of 7.1.8 Global stable rom to unlock using unofficial method . After unlocking bootloader , i want to directly upgrade to latest global stable rom 7.2.3.0 with TWRP and root. I have recovry ROM (OTA) of 7.2.3.0 .

What would be the appropriate steps to do that without any problems ?

Please tell me step by step as i will follow exactly that steps and don't want to risk even a bit by using my half knowledge . I know i have to read the guide but i get lost in between , would appreciate if you could tell me exact steps .

Last edited:

Rajdip

Dec 9, 2015
Kolkata
Currently I'm on 6.4.14 (CHINA LATEST DEV ROM) ,Can i use 6.4.14 Fastboot ROM in place of 7.1.8 Global stable rom to unlock using unofficial method . After unlocking bootloader , i want to directly upgrade to latest global stable rom 7.2.3.0 with TWRP and root. I have recovry ROM (OTA) of 7.2.3.0 .

What would be the appropriate steps to do that without any problems ?

Please tell me step by step as i will follow exactly that steps and don't want to risk even a bit by using my half knowledge . I know i have to read the guide but i get lost in between , would appreciate if you could tell me exact steps .
Yeah you can use china dev rom for unlocking bootloader, and after that to upgrade to global 7.2.3.0 you need a full recovery rom, OTA wont work, also WHENEVER YOU DOWNLOAD A OTA/ROM OPEN IT WITH WINRAR, OPEN THE FIRMWARE-UPDATE FOLDER AND DELETE THE emmc_appsboot.mbn file or else you will hardbrick your device and the only wasy from recovering from it is by opening your phone

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
Yeah you can use china dev rom for unlocking bootloader, and after that to upgrade to global 7.2.3.0 you need a full recovery rom, OTA wont work, also WHENEVER YOU DOWNLOAD A OTA/ROM OPEN IT WITH WINRAR, OPEN THE FIRMWARE-UPDATE FOLDER AND DELETE THE emmc_appsboot.mbn file or else you will hardbrick your device and the only wasy from recovering from it is by opening your phone

Hi , can you make sure again that China dev ROM will work in place of stable 7.1.8.0 without any problem ?
Also 7.2.3.0 which I've is full ROM i think it's "miui_HMNote3ProGlobal_V7.2.3.0.LHOMIDA_74136dde89_5.1.zip" and it is 0.99 GB in size.

So after unlocking bootloader , i can normally boot into current china dev ROM and directly upgrade to 7.2.3.0 through updater app with just emmc_appsboot.mbn deleted from it ?
I guess there is no need to delete boot.img as i still haven't flashed the twrp and root yet and will flash both of files after upgrading to 7.2.3.0 .

Plz tell if my steps are correct or not ?

Rajdip

Dec 9, 2015
Kolkata
Hi , can you make sure again that China dev ROM will work in place of stable 7.1.8.0 without any problem ?
Also 7.2.3.0 which I've is full ROM i think it's "miui_HMNote3ProGlobal_V7.2.3.0.LHOMIDA_74136dde89_5.1.zip" and it is 0.99 GB in size.

So after unlocking bootloader , i can normally boot into current china dev ROM and directly upgrade to 7.2.3.0 through updater app with just emmc_appsboot.mbn deleted from it ?
I guess there is no need to delete boot.img as i still haven't flashed the twrp and root yet and will flash both of files after upgrading to 7.2.3.0 .

Plz tell if my steps are correct or not ?
What about you use the miui global 7.2.3.0 directly for unlocking bootloader the unofficial way? after that you can flash TWRP if you want, and you cant update using updater app, you have to update directly from TWRP.

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
What about you use the miui global 7.2.3.0 directly for unlocking bootloader the unofficial way? after that you can flash TWRP if you want, and you cant update using updater app, you have to update directly from TWRP.

Well to do that i have to download again the GB of flashboot rom of miui global 7.2.3.0 and i really have painful slow internet so thought of first unlocking bootloader and then later upgrade through Recovery zip file.

What do you suggest for best way as i just don't want to f**k up my device..
So if updater app can't flash the Official MIUI roms even with unlocked bootloader then what's the point of recovery ROM of different types such as global stable,beta china stable beta if you want to switch ROM's ?

Why in redmi note 3 there are so hurdles to switch /downgrade/upgrade ROM after unlocking bootloader ? I have done all flashing stuff on some other android phones too but there was never a risk for relock of bootloader and overwrite of custom recovery while flashing ROMS ..so why all this hurdles in Redmi Note 3 as it doesn't make sense to unlock bootloader after each and every upgrade /downgrade of ROM's or it is only due to the fact that it has been unlocked through unofficial way ?

Rajdip

Dec 9, 2015
Kolkata
Well to do that i have to download again the GB of flashboot rom of miui global 7.2.3.0 and i really have painful slow internet so thought of first unlocking bootloader and then later upgrade through Recovery zip file.

What do you suggest for best way as i just don't want to f**k up my device..
So if updater app can't flash the Official MIUI roms even with unlocked bootloader then what's the point of recovery ROM of different types such as global stable,beta china stable beta if you want to switch ROM's ?

Why in redmi note 3 there are so hurdles to switch /downgrade/upgrade ROM after unlocking bootloader ? I have done all flashing stuff on some other android phones too but there was never a risk for relock of bootloader and overwrite of custom recovery while flashing ROMS ..so why all this hurdles in Redmi Note 3 as it doesn't make sense to unlock bootloader after each and every upgrade /downgrade of ROM's or it is only due to the fact that it has been unlocked through unofficial way ?
This is what xiaomi made of themselves, every move is f*****g hassle right now. I understand the problem of slow internet. You have unlocked bootloader right? why dont you just leave MIUI and install the AOSP rom. no more hassle no bricks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

(credits to magdag)

img file can flashed via TWRP, when you select install option on TWRP , look for "install image" option on right bottom part of screen, now select the modified img and then select boot and then flash.
    Can you please make a modified boot.img for China Stable?
    will do
    Edit:- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5bSNUUrjm6JQTZscE5YZUhuNlE this for china stable 7.2.2.0
    No I'll always delete the emmc_appsboot file everytime just like you told me before which means your modified emmc_appsboot file is just RED LED fixed version of Magdag and everything is same ?

EDIT- IT WORKED , THANKS MAN . :)
    Hey why are you banned in Miui forums ?
    and can you refer me to a guide the best one for twrp+root ?
    Yeah I was banned. Muz_paray the moderator deleted the thread "guide to flashing OTA without fingerprint error" saying it doesnt work (but it works right?) and he said my threads are garbage and gradually I got angry and insulted his english skills :p he banned me :D
    No needs of guide for TWRP, just download TWRP and rename it to TWRP.img, put that file in your fastboot folder, then use command "fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img" , now download superSU.zip and flash it through TWRP for root.