How To Guide Guide to root Galaxy Z Fold 3(B/N/0), unlock bootloader and flash official firmware (noob friendly)

Search This thread
Code:
Your warranty is now void.
If you root your device, Your KNOX status will be tripped.
You can still pass the safety net after you root if you follow the instructions.
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards although it is not really possible
Please do some research if you have any concerns about doing this to your device

How to flash official firmware? (not the root and unlock bootloader part!)

You will need:

A Galaxy Z Fold 3 and common sense

Samsung Odin (the flashing tool of the official firmware)

https://dl2018.sammobile.com/Odin3-v3.14.1.zip

You need to extract the zip file and you are going to use the file Odin3_v3.14.1.exe inside the folder.

Samsung Android USB Driver for Windows

Double-click and install the exe file.

Samsung Official Firmware

Download the platform you want to download to. (Windows)

You need to extract the zip and double click open the file Bifrost.exe inside the folder.

You need to fill in the Model, Region, press the Check for Updates button and the Download button.

How to find the Model: on your phone → Settings → About Phone → The third row says the Model number and you need to remove the part with the part of /xx, for example, SM-F926B/DS and you only need to type SM-F926B

How to find the Region: You can check the Region at this link https://samfrew.com/model/SM-F926B/

You need to find find a three-letter word depending on your carrier and country and type it in Bifrost, for example, EVR

Press the Check for Update button and download it with the Download button.

Put it to a place you can easily find, ie. Desktop.

After downloading it, find the file SM-xxxxx_x_xxxxxxxx_xxx.zip.enc4 on the place you put it and change the document format from .enc4 to .zip. Then, double click and extract the file.

Open Odin3_v3.14.1.exe and turn off your phone. Connect a side of your USB to your PC/Laptop, keep pressing volume up and down together until you go to Download Mode. Put another side of the USB into your phone. When you arrived at Download Mode press volume up. Go back to Odin3_v3.14.1.exe:

-Click on BL and select BL_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

-Click on AP and select AP_xxxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

-Click on CP and select CP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

(If you want to keep your data don't flash CSC).
-Click on CSC and select CSC_OMC_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

-Click on USERDATA and select HOME_CSC_OMC_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

Press Start to flash the firmware, after done, your device will automatically reboot to the system.

How to unlock the bootloader?

Go to your phone → Settings → About Phone → Software information → Press Build number 6 times until you see the notice “You’re now a developer”

Go in Settings → Developer options → enable OEM unlocking

Power off your phone first. Then, connect a side of your USB to your PC/Laptop, keep pressing volume up and down together until you go to Download Mode. Put another side of the USB into your phone.

When you arrived at Download Mode, long press volume up until you see the black screen. Confirm to unlock the bootloader and you will erase your device.

How to root your phone?

After you unlock your bootloader, you set up your phone and make sure you do not sign in google account first. Install Magisk https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v24.1/Magisk-v24.1.apk on your phone. Oh yes, in case you do not know, you need to allow the app to install apps so that you can install the apk.

Transfer AP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5 in the firmware you download from your PC/Laptop to your phone.
Open Magisk on your phone and press the install button in the Magisk column. Select 'Select and Patch a File', 'Let's Go' and find the AP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5 and select it. You can have a cup of coffee if you like when you waiting for the patching of the file.

After finishing the patching, you need to transfer the file magisk_patched-24xxx_xxxxx.tar in the Downloads folder back to your PC/Laptop.

Turn off your phone. Connect a side of your USB to your PC/Laptop, keep pressing volume up and down together until you go to Download Mode. Put another side of the USB into your phone. When you arrived at Download Mode press volume up. Open Odin3_v3.14.1.exe on your PC/Laptop:

Click on BL and select BL_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

-Click on AP and select magisk_patched-24xxx_xxxxx.tar

When it finishes flashing it, it will automatically reboot and you can gain root access.

Optional: If you want to have the safety net passed (most of the banking apps use it), then you need to install the zip
as a Magisk module in Magisk https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/releases
How? Go to Magisk → Modules → install from storage and select the zip you downloaded.

How to update without losing root and data
Open Odin and put the new magisk_patched file in the AP slot, the BL and CP from your new firmware into their respective slots and importantly *HOME_CSC* into the CSC slot.

Press start and let Odin do its stuff.

When flashed, do not wipe.

Press and hold Vol-down and Power
As soon as the screen appears, let go of all buttons.

Within moments, the phone with updates, data and magisk rooted will present in front of you. Hurray!

Last edited:

AnnaNguyen

Feb 19, 2022
Thanks for the post I want to try it but I'm on SM-F926U also I don't want to lose any data will this erase all my data such as apps, pics etc with backup?

nathanalbat

Feb 24, 2022
Hi i tried to root my samsung galaxy z fold 3 model F926B version android 11 i did all steps using magisk version 23.0 but after i flash the patched rom i keep getting stuck on samsung logo and error says this device version is not official is there anyway i can bypass it?

iLind

May 26, 2015
Hi i tried to root my samsung galaxy z fold 3 model F926B version android 11 i did all steps using magisk version 23.0 but after i flash the patched rom i keep getting stuck on samsung logo and error says this device version is not official is there anyway i can bypass it?
Just rooted my new GZF3 SM926B/DS with this method and got to the exact same thing (but using magisk 24.1).

Re-flashed and the same thing again but it was easily fixed.

One more part should be added to the guide.
After you flash the last time with the patched AP-file and get a boot loop to recovery, do a factory reset from (stock) recovery, phone restarts and you have to set it up but magisk is there and you're rooted!

Just go to apps, try to open magisk which will tell you that you need to upgrade to full version, accept, open magisk and accept the "additional part" -> phone reboot one last time and DONE!
You now have a fully functioning and rooted GZF3 😀

nathanalbat

Feb 24, 2022
Just rooted my new GZF3 SM926B/DS with this method and got to the exact same thing (but using magisk 24.1).

After you flash the last time with the patched AP-file and get a boot loop to recovery, do a factory reset from (stock) recovery, phone restarts and you have to set it up but magisk is there and you're rooted!

Just go to apps, try to open magisk which will tell you that you need to upgrade to full version, accept, open magisk and accept the "additional part" -> phone reboot one last time and DONE!
i did same steps as you but i did it with magisk 23 and worked thanks tho

Reactions: S22Ultra and iLind

Ah, thanks for your recommendation. I have make it in the video but I have forgotten to mention it in the guide. Sorry.

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
Thanks for the Guide , Williamtung

I want to share me experience ( SM-F926B ), updating from a rooted VBA9 to the latest BVB3 firmware , without losing root and data !

Steps:
1. Download the latest stock F926BXXS1BVB3 ( at the time writing this post )

2. Patch the stock AP (BVB3) file with magisk and just follow the guide from there... , You will be updated with the latest and rooted , extremely easy !

Transfer AP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5 in the firmware you download from your PC/Laptop to your phone.
Open Magisk on your phone and press the install button in the Magisk column. Select 'Select and Patch a File', 'Let's Go' and find the AP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5 and select it. You can have a cup of coffee if you like when you waiting for the patching of the file.

After finishing the patching, you need to transfer the file magisk_patched-24xxx_xxxxx.tar in the Downloads folder back to your PC/Laptop.

Turn off your phone. Connect a side of your USB to your PC/Laptop, keep pressing volume up and down together until you go to Download Mode. Put another side of the USB into your phone. When you arrived at Download Mode press volume up. Open Odin3_v3.14.1.exe on your PC/Laptop:

When it finishes flashing it, it will automatically reboot and you can gain root access.

Reactions: Williamtung
Thanks for the Guide, Williamtung

I want to share my experience ( SM-F926B ), updating from a rooted VBA9 to the latest BVB3 firmware, without losing root and data!

Steps:
1. Download the latest stock F926BXXS1BVB3 ( at the time writing this post )

2. Patch the stock AP (BVB3) file with magisk and just follow the guide from there..., You will be updated with the latest and rooted, extremely easy!

Thanks for your sharing! I may add this useful information to the guide if you please.

Reactions: pvillasuso

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    Your warranty is now void.
    If you root your device, Your KNOX status will be tripped.
    You can still pass the safety net after you root if you follow the instructions.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards although it is not really possible
    Please do some research if you have any concerns about doing this to your device

How to flash official firmware? (not the root and unlock bootloader part!)

You will need:

A Galaxy Z Fold 3 and common sense

Samsung Odin (the flashing tool of the official firmware)

https://dl2018.sammobile.com/Odin3-v3.14.1.zip

You need to extract the zip file and you are going to use the file Odin3_v3.14.1.exe inside the folder.

Samsung Android USB Driver for Windows

Double-click and install the exe file.

Samsung Official Firmware

Download the platform you want to download to. (Windows)

You need to extract the zip and double click open the file Bifrost.exe inside the folder.

You need to fill in the Model, Region, press the Check for Updates button and the Download button.

How to find the Model: on your phone → Settings → About Phone → The third row says the Model number and you need to remove the part with the part of /xx, for example, SM-F926B/DS and you only need to type SM-F926B

How to find the Region: You can check the Region at this link https://samfrew.com/model/SM-F926B/

You need to find find a three-letter word depending on your carrier and country and type it in Bifrost, for example, EVR

Press the Check for Update button and download it with the Download button.

Put it to a place you can easily find, ie. Desktop.

After downloading it, find the file SM-xxxxx_x_xxxxxxxx_xxx.zip.enc4 on the place you put it and change the document format from .enc4 to .zip. Then, double click and extract the file.

Open Odin3_v3.14.1.exe and turn off your phone. Connect a side of your USB to your PC/Laptop, keep pressing volume up and down together until you go to Download Mode. Put another side of the USB into your phone. When you arrived at Download Mode press volume up. Go back to Odin3_v3.14.1.exe:

-Click on BL and select BL_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

-Click on AP and select AP_xxxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5

Press Start to flash the firmware, after done, your device will automatically reboot to the system.

How to unlock the bootloader?

Go to your phone → Settings → About Phone → Software information → Press Build number 6 times until you see the notice “You’re now a developer”

Go in Settings → Developer options → enable OEM unlocking

Power off your phone first. Then, connect a side of your USB to your PC/Laptop, keep pressing volume up and down together until you go to Download Mode. Put another side of the USB into your phone.

When you arrived at Download Mode, long press volume up until you see the black screen. Confirm to unlock the bootloader and you will erase your device.

How to root your phone?

After you unlock your bootloader, you set up your phone and make sure you do not sign in google account first. Install Magisk https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v24.1/Magisk-v24.1.apk on your phone. Oh yes, in case you do not know, you need to allow the app to install apps so that you can install the apk.

Optional: If you want to have the safety net passed (most of the banking apps use it), then you need to install the zip
    as a Magisk module in Magisk https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/releases
    How? Go to Magisk → Modules → install from storage and select the zip you downloaded.

How to update without losing root and data
    Open Odin and put the new magisk_patched file in the AP slot, the BL and CP from your new firmware into their respective slots and importantly *HOME_CSC* into the CSC slot.

Press start and let Odin do its stuff.

When flashed, do not wipe.

Press and hold Vol-down and Power
    As soon as the screen appears, let go of all buttons.

Within moments, the phone with updates, data and magisk rooted will present in front of you. Hurray!

Updated to CVC5 , from BVB3
    Full root keeping data !

i did same steps as you but i did it with magisk 23 and worked thanks tho
    If these services are reputable please provide links you find?
    These services are approved by User Experience Admin @svetius