• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Guide to root motorola g stylus

Search This thread

god_of_wisdom

May 21, 2020
Jersey city
QUICK STEPS TO ROOT MOTOROLA MOTO G STYLUS USING MAGISK

Just Remember*I just want to warn you that, Rooting will void the warranty of your smartphone
Rooting will block the OTA updates

1.First of all, please download and extract the ROM on your computer.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...1&share_fid=3793&share_type=t&link_source=app

2:*Now, connect your moto g stylus with a micro USB cable, and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your Motorola moto g stylus device storage/memory.
3:*Now you need to Launch Magisk Manager.
4:*After that, you will see a popup window that will ask you to install Magisk.
5:*Finally please select INSTALL and choose to install it again.
6:*Now Please press on “Patch Boot Image File
7:*Navigate to internal storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
8:*Wait for a couple of seconds. Magisk will start patching the boot image.
9:*Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
10:*Now you can follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.

Next, you need to enter the following commands step by step:
First of all, you need to Flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Motorola moto g stylus: fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
You can also use the devices with A/B partition system, with the following commands:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
After that, you need to replace [patched_boot.img] with the same boot image file that you have already downloaded with the .img.

Now you will see the flashing process have has started. Now, run fastboot and reboot

HOW TO VERIFY IF YOUR MOTOROLA MOTO G STYLUS HAS A SYSTEMLESS ROOT?

Download and install the Magisk Manager app APK, and launch it.
If you want to verify that you have a systemless root, check the top of the screen and if you see all options with Green Tick which means you have successfully rooted and bypassed SafetyNet.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

himesh82

Jun 10, 2013
surprised to see no comments on this topic. I am thinking of getting this phone but only if there is a root method for it.

dafunk60

Jul 12, 2008
surprised to see no comments on this topic. I am thinking of getting this phone but only if there is a root method for it.

I got root by using magisk to patch the boot image. I purchased the phone directly from Motorola's website. If you get a version where the bootloader can be unlocked (some carrier versions apparently cannot be unlocked) you can root without much trouble.

himesh82

Jun 10, 2013
I got root by using magisk to patch the boot image. I purchased the phone directly from Motorola's website. If you get a version where the bootloader can be unlocked (some carrier versions apparently cannot be unlocked) you can root without much trouble.

I am based in Uk and will order from their website.

How easy it is to use as It has been afew years i tried rooting and will need a super easy guide.

dafunk60

Jul 12, 2008
I am based in Uk and will order from their website.

How easy it is to use as It has been afew years i tried rooting and will need a super easy guide.

I found it to be super easy using magisk, provided you have a PC to flash the patched boot.img to the phone via fastboot. I use the Lenovo Rescue & Smart Assist software on the PC to download the ROM from Motorola. You need to ensure the ROM you're downloading is the same version running on your phone. Using a boot.img from a different version will cause issues.

1. Copy the boot.img to the phone.
2. On the phone, patch the boot.img you just copied over with Magisk Manager.
3. Copy the patched magisk_patched.img back to your PC.
4. Connect to the phone via adb. (There's an adb.exe in the Lenovo Rescue & Smart Assist install directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rescue and Smart Assistant".)
5 . Reboot the phone to the bootloader with the following command on the PC:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Flash the patched boot image with the following command on the PC:
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
7. Reboot the phone with the following command on the PC:
Code:
fastboot reboot

Once rebooted you can use Magisk Manager to hide root, check the SafetyNet status, etc.

himesh82

Jun 10, 2013
Thank you for your help on this. I rooted my moto x4 long time ago and the process has definately changed.
Still confused regarding your points
1 - where can i find the boot.img
2 - how do you patch using magisk

Also do you not need to unlock boot loader and bypass the verification and why do you need to hide root after?

Thank you

I found it to be super easy using magisk, provided you have a PC to flash the patched boot.img to the phone via fastboot. I use the Lenovo Rescue & Smart Assist software on the PC to download the ROM from Motorola. You need to ensure the ROM you're downloading is the same version running on your phone. Using a boot.img from a different version will cause issues.

1. Copy the boot.img to the phone.
2. On the phone, patch the boot.img you just copied over with Magisk Manager.
3. Copy the patched magisk_patched.img back to your PC.
4. Connect to the phone via adb. (There's an adb.exe in the Lenovo Rescue & Smart Assist install directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rescue and Smart Assistant".)
5 . Reboot the phone to the bootloader with the following command on the PC:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Flash the patched boot image with the following command on the PC:
Code:
7. Reboot the phone with the following command on the PC:
Code:
fastboot reboot

Once rebooted you can use Magisk Manager to hide root, check the SafetyNet status, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: thatguyreese86

dafunk60

Jul 12, 2008
Thank you for your help on this. I rooted my moto x4 long time ago and the process has definately changed......
Thank you

You're welcome.

In the Lenovo software you can choose a download location. The default appears to be "C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download". In that directory you'll see a "RomFiles" folder which contains folders for the different ROM versions it has downloaded. SOFIAP_RETAIL_QPR30.80_58_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml or SOFIAP_RETAIL_QPRS30.80_58_3_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml for example. You can find the boot.img file within those folders.

The QPRD30.80_58_3 boot.img file is located in "C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\SOFIAP_RETAIL_QPRS30.80_58_3_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml"
Some people share links to the ROM files but I prefer to get mine from Motorola.

Google's your friend on this topic, https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-use-magisk/

Also do you not need to unlock boot loader and bypass the verification and why do you need to hide root after?
You do need to unlock the bootloader, unless you have the private key Motorola uses to sign images ;). Just follow the instructions on the Motorola website. Unlocking the bootloader & rooting are two separate things. You need to unlock the bootloader to allow the hardware to boot unsigned images, such as a patched boot image. Root provides applications root access to the Android OS.
You typically want to hide root as some apps won't function if they detect root, mostly banking & video streaming services I believe. It's not a requirement however.

himesh82

Jun 10, 2013
Thank you again. I will take a good look at the guide and then decide if it is something that I can attempt

Growking99

Nov 11, 2016
Can someone help me idk what I'm doing wrong but when doing the steps mentioned above boot b is flashed automatically and when my phone reboots I have no service, my screen doesn't work, it hangs for minutes at a time and randomly reboots. Please help

nokia4life2017

Jul 7, 2018
Wait DOES THIS WIPE ALL THE DATA?? I CANT get a clear answer. Supposedly the "official" unlocking through Motorola does but this is the Magisk method and I'm hoping it doesn't wipe the user data or apps.

Also how do you root AFTER you unlock the bootloader?

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

It definitely works for the metro by TMobile version.
Does rooting wipe all the user data and apps?

JimmyJurner

Dec 4, 2016
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wait DOES THIS WIPE ALL THE DATA?? I CANT get a clear answer. Supposedly the "official" unlocking through Motorola does but this is the Magisk method and I'm hoping it doesn't wipe the user data or apps.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I honestly don't know. When I did the steps from op I unlocked the bootloader then rooted. I never booted into system. I can't check now because I'm running havoc os gsi and the op method doesn't work on gsis. I tried and it didn't boot but when I flashed the stock boot.img all my setup was still the same. Hope that helps some.

Can someone help me idk what I'm doing wrong but when doing the steps mentioned above boot b is flashed automatically and when my phone reboots I have no service, my screen doesn't work, it hangs for minutes at a time and randomly reboots. Please help
Do you have a carrier model? You might be flashing the wrong boot.img although I'm not sure if theres anything different between then

Growking99

Nov 11, 2016
No I bought the unlocked model from best buy cuz I know carrier models usually aren't rootable. Can some one post a link to the right boot.img
Here is my build number QPRS30.80-58-3 and my device info is in the pic TIA for any help

dafunk60

Jul 12, 2008

There are instructions on rooting in these forums, even in this thread.

Unlocking the bootloader forces user data to be wiped (aka factory reset).
Rooting with Magisk does not wipe user data.

Unlocking the bootloader and rooting are two separate things. Unlocking the bootloader allows unsigned images, such as a modified boot.img, to be run on the device. Rooting provides applications root level access to the Android OS.

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

It sounds like the boot image you're flashing does not match the version of the ROM on the phone. From your subsequent post, it looks like you're running QPRS30.80-58-3. Where did you get the boot.img file that you patched? You can use the Lenovo Rescue software to download the ROM files right from Motorola. These will contain the entire ROM, including the original boot image. Details are in the posts preceding yours. Flash the original boot.img & see if the phone boots. If it does, patch that image with Magisk & flash to obtain root.

Reactions: rotorline

JimmyJurner

Dec 4, 2016
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro

Try fastboot flash boot boot.img. When i did the stot a and b method i lost touchscreen etc

I bought a second stylus and the root method is different. So I fastboot flash the image (not to slots) and it worked but when the screen goes off the touch screen isn't responding.

Last edited:

Growking99

Nov 11, 2016
I got it to work by using the assistant mentioned above. And using the fastboot flash magisk_patched.img or fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img I can't remember which one at the moment but it automatically flashed both A and B slots with no problems. Also is TWRP available for the G Stylus?

Cdbarron727

May 29, 2014

i just had the same thing happen to me. But i went to the assistant software and tried to rescue my device and it failed. Did you get it to work and how exactly did you get it working?
Edit: I just got it rescued and Im back up and running. Now I just need to figure out how not to repeat whatever mistake I just made and to get my device rooted. Did you ever figure out what you did wrong?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020
Traptown

I am having the same issue while in fastboot, the device reboots bootloader every 20-30 seconds. I had to wait till the screen went off before hitting enter to get OEM Get_unlock_code.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    QUICK STEPS TO ROOT MOTOROLA MOTO G STYLUS USING MAGISK

Just Remember*I just want to warn you that, Rooting will void the warranty of your smartphone
    Rooting will block the OTA updates

1.First of all, please download and extract the ROM on your computer.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...1&share_fid=3793&share_type=t&link_source=app

2:*Now, connect your moto g stylus with a micro USB cable, and copy only the boot.img file from the extracted folder to your Motorola moto g stylus device storage/memory.
    3:*Now you need to Launch Magisk Manager.
    4:*After that, you will see a popup window that will ask you to install Magisk.
    5:*Finally please select INSTALL and choose to install it again.
    6:*Now Please press on “Patch Boot Image File
    7:*Navigate to internal storage and select your phone’s boot image that you transferred earlier.
    8:*Wait for a couple of seconds. Magisk will start patching the boot image.
    9:*Once the boot image has been patched, copy the “patched_boot.img” from the internal storage and replace it in the same extracted ROM folder on your PC.
    10:*Now you can follow the second step to flash the patched boot image file.

Next, you need to enter the following commands step by step:
    First of all, you need to Flash the “patched_boot.img” to install Magisk and root your Motorola moto g stylus: fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    You can also use the devices with A/B partition system, with the following commands:
    fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
    fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
    After that, you need to replace [patched_boot.img] with the same boot image file that you have already downloaded with the .img.

Now you will see the flashing process have has started. Now, run fastboot and reboot

HOW TO VERIFY IF YOUR MOTOROLA MOTO G STYLUS HAS A SYSTEMLESS ROOT?

Download and install the Magisk Manager app APK, and launch it.
    If you want to verify that you have a systemless root, check the top of the screen and if you see all options with Green Tick which means you have successfully rooted and bypassed SafetyNet.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
    It definitely works for the metro by TMobile version.
    Thank you for your help on this. I rooted my moto x4 long time ago and the process has definately changed......
    Thank you

You're welcome.

In the Lenovo software you can choose a download location. The default appears to be "C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download". In that directory you'll see a "RomFiles" folder which contains folders for the different ROM versions it has downloaded. SOFIAP_RETAIL_QPR30.80_58_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml or SOFIAP_RETAIL_QPRS30.80_58_3_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml for example. You can find the boot.img file within those folders.

The QPRD30.80_58_3 boot.img file is located in "C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\SOFIAP_RETAIL_QPRS30.80_58_3_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml"
    Some people share links to the ROM files but I prefer to get mine from Motorola.

Google's your friend on this topic, https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-use-magisk/

You do need to unlock the bootloader, unless you have the private key Motorola uses to sign images ;). Just follow the instructions on the Motorola website. Unlocking the bootloader & rooting are two separate things. You need to unlock the bootloader to allow the hardware to boot unsigned images, such as a patched boot image. Root provides applications root access to the Android OS.
    You typically want to hide root as some apps won't function if they detect root, mostly banking & video streaming services I believe. It's not a requirement however.
    build number is: QPRS30.80-58-5
    software channel: US retail

i installed magisk as well. thank you for dumbing it down. have not rooted anything in like 10 years. what should i do next?

So next we need to get you a copy of the boot.img for this build. You have the same software channel & build number as me so I think this should be the correct download link straight from Motorola.

PATCHING THE BOOT.IMG
    Download that zip, and grab the boot.img file it contains. Copy the boot.img file to your phone.
    Patch the boot.img file with magisk manager using the 1st INSTALL button on 1st screen. Then use "Select and patch a file" option.
    Select the boot.img file you copied to the phone.
    Magisk manager will produce a magisk_patched.img, copy that back to your PC.

Install ADB & FASTBOOT
    Connect your phone to your PC via USB.
    You'll need a working adb.exe & fastboot.exe on your PC. The Lenovo software includes these so download it & install if you haven't already.
    It should install to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rescue and Smart Assistant" open a command prompt (not powershell) and navigate to that directory.
    Now type adb devices. It should show your phone is connected.

Reply when you've gotten to this point & let me know if adb can see your phone or not.

PS - I'm always hesitant to get files from unknown sources and typically use the Lenovo software to get the files. With the 30.80-58-5 the Lenovo software was not offered, managed to figure out the download link the Lenovo software used for other builds & changed the file name. You can see details of how to get the rom files from the Lenovo software in this post.
    thank you for the detailed explanation and all the links. i connected my phone and adb did not show it. then i noticed that usb debugging was turned off for some reason. then it worked. what should i do now?

On your PC, copy the patched boot image (magisk_patched.img) to the folder where fastboot.exe is located. You can use the one in the Lenovo software install folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rescue and Smart Assistant".

Connect to your phone via USB.
    Open a command windows & navigate to the location of adb,exe & fastboot.exe, i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rescue and Smart Assistant".
    Reboot the phone to the bootloader by typing:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Flash the patched boot image to the boot partition with:
    Code:
    Reboot the phone.
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Your phone should now boot to android and you should have root.