Guide to Unlocking the Bootloader

zipxavier

Jun 27, 2009
I just got my razer phone today and set off on trying to unlock the bootloader. There's no documentation on the process but it wasn't too hard to figure out.

1) - To unlock the razer phone bootloader do the following

2) - Install ADB + Fastboot and google usb drivers

3) - Enable developer mode by going to settings, about phone and hitting build number a bunch of times. then go back to settings > developer options and check USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.

4) - Open a command prompt on your PC and connect the phone's usb cable to your computer. Accept the prompt on the phone for trusting the computer when plugged in.

5) - type the following in command prompt without quotes "adb reboot bootloader"

6) - You'll be at the download mode screen with the razer logo.

7) - Make sure the driver for ADB Bootloader Interface was installed. If not you'll probably have a device called Android under "Other devices" in device manager. If this is the case, install the google usb driver.

8) - In command prompt type the following without the quotes "fastboot -i 0x1532 devices" and make sure your device comes up and not just a blank response.

9) - If it came up now just type without the quotes "fastboot -i 0x1532 flashing unlock"

10) - This will bring up a prompt on the phone itself to unlock the bootloader, use the volume button to navigate to yes and press the power button to confirm.

11) - The phone will reboot and will show a message stating "Your device is unlocked and cannot be trusted" on each boot to show that it is unlocked.

Last edited:

Quashhh

Nov 18, 2017
I just got my razer phone today and set off on trying to unlock the bootloader. There's no documentation on the process but it wasn't too hard to figure out.

1) - To unlock the razer phone bootloader do the following

2) - Install ADB + Fastboot and google usb drivers

3) - Enable developer mode by going to settings, about phone and hitting build number a bunch of times. then go back to settings > developer options and check USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.

4) - Open a command prompt on your PC and connect the phone's usb cable to your computer. Accept the prompt on the phone for trusting the computer when plugged in.

5) - type the following in command prompt without quotes "adb reboot bootloader"

6) - You'll be at the download mode screen with the razer logo.

7) - Make sure the driver for ADB Bootloader Interface was installed. If not you'll probably have a device called Android under "Other devices" in device manager. If this is the case, install the google usb driver.

8) - In command prompt type the following without the quotes "fastboot -i 0x1532 devices" and make sure your device comes up and not just a blank response.

9) - If it came up now just type without the quotes "fastboot -i 0x1532 flashing unlock"

10) - This will bring up a prompt on the phone itself to unlock the bootloader, use the volume button to navigate to yes and press the power button to confirm.

11) - The phone will reboot and will show a message stating "Your device is unlocked and cannot be trusted" on each boot to show that it is unlocked.

Any idea if the latest TWRP and Magisk work with the phone?

nikitis

Jun 23, 2010
@zipxavier How did you get fastboot to work? ADB Drivers work, but I do not have a driver for fastboot. I've downloaded the latest Google USB Drivers and it still will not detect it or take the new drivers even when pointed to them while the phone is in Download Mode.

zipxavier

Jun 27, 2009
@zipxavier How did you get fastboot to work? ADB Drivers work, but I do not have a driver for fastboot. I've downloaded the latest Google USB Drivers and it still will not detect it or take the new drivers even when pointed to them while the phone is in Download Mode.
I had to manually browse the to the ADB drivers inf and use the "have disk" device manager driver install method to point it to the ADB Bootloader Interface driver.

TheTomppa01

Oct 10, 2014
Glad to see bootloader unlock is easy. Anyone get root yet?
Well now that we know the bootloader can be unlocked we just need to wait for razer to release the factory images or some other way to obtain boot.img and it can be rooted by patching it with magisk and manually flashing it with fastboot.

twelfth

Jan 17, 2011
Portland
The instructions above are a little more complicated than they need to be.

I was able to unlock my bootloader with just "fastboot flashing unlock"

Unfortunately, it seems the 'fastboot boot image.img' command was disabled. So until I get actual system images for the device, I have no way to return the device to stock in the event of a bad TWRP flash as I can't use the boot command to test images.

Buddyjohn

May 15, 2013
Regina
The instructions above are a little more complicated than they need to be.

I was able to unlock my bootloader with just "fastboot flashing unlock"

Unfortunately, it seems the 'fastboot boot image.img' command was disabled. So until I get actual system images for the device, I have no way to return the device to stock in the event of a bad TWRP flash as I can't use the boot command to test images.
did you ,make sure you followed step 3?

dillalade

Sep 28, 2009
Richmond
Hello Razer family

Having come from Sony for many years now, unlocking BL on Sony was always a ball ache with the DRM malarky.

Can I ask is there any such requirement on the Razer as such to protect any DRM keys or TA Partitions as such before unlocking the BL (like that of the Sony)?

I suspect not, however I would like to become accustomed to the ecosystem of the Razer before the day I do eventually unlock BL/Root etc.

(Where on Sony if you hadn't backed up the DRM/TA partition, certain functionalities of the phone would be forever lost.)

Last edited:

tabletalker7

Nov 9, 2015
Hello Razer family

Having come from Sony for many years now, unlocking BL on Sony was always a ball ache with the DRM malarky.

Can I ask is there any such requirement on the Razer as such to protect any DRM keys or TA Partitions as such before unlocking the BL (like that of the Sony)?

I suspect not, however I would like to become accustomed to the ecosystem of the Razer before the day I do eventually unlock BL/Root etc.

(Where on Sony if you hadn't backed up the DRM/TA partition, certain functionalities of the phone would be forever lost.)
Sony is probably the only major name I have never owned a phone from, and I never had to do anything like that before.

zam666

Dec 28, 2017
ADB doesn't recognize the phone

Hi! I need help with ADB, I think. It doesn't recognize Razer phone, but it recognize OnePlus, without any problem at all. And I don't get a prompt on my Razer, when I connect it to PC. I've tried the most I think, but nothing helped. I'm on w10. Thankful for all help.