Guide to Update OOS ROM on rooted phone without loosing TWRP

Search This thread

kapil_dheer

Sep 3, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Hi Friends,

For every incoming update, full ROM gets downloaded & after flashing via TWRP, TWRP recovery gets replaced by stock recovery, of course we loose root.

Only way to get back TWRP is via Fastboot commands, flashing TWRP & Finally Magisk. This might not be a big deal to many but certainly much to those having limited access to PC.

After many hits & misses, I was able to update my 1+5t without needing to reflash TWRP & maintaining ROOT.

Word of Caution:- Before giving it a go, please take a TWRP backup of your current setup & keep it safe......just in case anything goes wrong.

I am not responsible for any bootloops / bricked devices. Proceed at your own risk.

The procedure has been tested by me since last 3 updates & did its intended work well.

Prerequisites:- 1+5t with unlocked bootloader, TWRP already installed & rooted by MAGISK.

You can achieve plenty of & much detailed guides on how to unlock the BL, flash TWRP via Fastboot & root by Magisk.

Tools Used- A file manager capable of handling zip files.......my personal choice X-plore File Manager, free version from playstore.

The fun part begins:-

1. Download the full ROM.zip from whatever source of the OOS ROM you intend to install.

2. Make a copy of the ROM to work upon.

3. Open the zip file in the file explorer.

4. Select boot.img & copy it to some other folder. I selected Magisk Folder.

5. Now open Magisk Manager & Click Install.

6. Press Install again.

7. Out of available options, press Batch Boot Image File.

8. File explorer will open. Navigate to place where you copied boot.img from zip file (magisk folder in my case).

9. The phone will start downloading Magisk zip file.

10. After the download completes, it will start patching your boot.img.

11. Do not reboot & get back to MagiskManager folder.

12. A new file in the name of patched_boot.img gets created.

13. Delete original boot.img file.

14. Rename patched_boot.img to boot.img.

15. Select the boot.img & copy it back to the zip file from where original boot.img was extracted.

16. System will ask for overwrite permissions. Grant it.

17. The file manager will repack the files to form a final flashable zip file.

Your modded Rom.zip is ready to flash via TWRP recovery.

This flash should update your system while keeping your TWRP & Root installation intact.

Please give your feedback for the results achieved.

Any queries are welcome.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,252
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,192
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2,128
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,900
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,854
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,833
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,745
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,704
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1,656
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1,652
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,632
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,583
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,583
Last edited:

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
OOS Rom needs a boot before magisk.
If you flash magisk directly after rom flash, it bootloops.

No? You have always been able to flash Magisk directly after an OOS update. You are installing the full zip, not the incremental correct? If so, flash the full zip from TWRP, then flash Magisk right after, then clear cache/Dalvik, then reboot. Everything works after that.

kapil_dheer

Sep 3, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
No? You have always been able to flash Magisk directly after an OOS update. You are installing the full zip, not the incremental correct? If so, flash the full zip from TWRP, then flash Magisk right after, then clear cache/Dalvik, then reboot. Everything works after that.
You sure? I tried it plenty of times but it bootlooped every time.

I'll try this anyhow in next update again.

Xenon_R

Jan 16, 2018
Hi Friends,

For every incoming update, full ROM gets downloaded & after flashing via TWRP, TWRP recovery gets replaced by stock recovery, of course we loose root.

Only way to get back TWRP is via Fastboot commands, flashing TWRP & Finally Magisk. This might not be a big deal to many but certainly much to those having limited access to PC.

After many hits & misses, I was able to update my 1+5t without needing to reflash TWRP & maintaining ROOT.

Word of Caution:- Before giving it a go, please take a TWRP backup of your current setup & keep it safe......just in case anything goes wrong.

I am not responsible for any bootloops / bricked devices. Proceed at your own risk.

The procedure has been tested by me since last 3 updates & did its intended work well.

Prerequisites:- 1+5t with unlocked bootloader, TWRP already installed & rooted by MAGISK.

You can achieve plenty of & much detailed guides on how to unlock the BL, flash TWRP via Fastboot & root by Magisk.

Tools Used- A file manager capable of handling zip files.......my personal choice X-plore File Manager, free version from playstore.

1. Download the full ROM.zip from whatever source of the OOS ROM you intend to install.

6. Press Install again.

8. File explorer will open. Navigate to place where you copied boot.img from zip file (magisk folder in my case).

15. Select the boot.img & copy it back to the zip file from where original boot.img was extracted.

This flash should update your system while keeping your TWRP & Root installation intact.

Any queries are welcome.
Thank you so much after trying everything and still getting bootloop your method worked.. ?? thanks for such easy solution

Reactions: DrGreem

Baldesarra

Sep 26, 2016

You can flash magisk right after the full ROM. BUT!!!

For an update without bootloop or without loosing TWRP you have to do this:

Go to TWRP
Flash Magisk Uninstaller
Delete Dalvik and Cache
Flash full ROM (Update)
Flash Magisk
Delete Dalvik and Cache
Reboot

The key is to flash magisk Uninstaller before updating. Then you won't get a Bootloop

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro

Go to TWRP
Flash Magisk Uninstaller
Delete Dalvik and Cache
Flash full ROM (Update)
Flash Magisk
Delete Dalvik and Cache
Reboot

The key is to flash magisk Uninstaller before updating. Then you won't get a Bootloop
But doesn't flashing full ROM uninstall magisk? I've updated 9 times without flashing Magisk uninstaller, works fine for me.

Reactions: Alp Sipahi

perama

Sep 8, 2010
I used the procedure of this threat to update to OOS 5.1.2. Everything is OK except the Smart Lock menu. I lost it completely! All Smart Lock options are gone! Any ideas?

jmtjr278

Mar 8, 2012
You would think so but I've also had bootloop issues which required flashing the uninstaller. So now I just make it part of my routine.
Are you also wiping caches when you were getting bootloops? Wiping caches does pretty much nothing. I have never uninstalled magisk or wiped anything. Just make sure to remove substratum theme. I have forgotten that and gotten bootloops.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

BigBrosMo

Jul 10, 2012
Are you also wiping caches when you were getting bootloops? Wiping caches does pretty much nothing. I have never uninstalled magisk or wiped anything. Just make sure to remove substratum theme. I have forgotten that and gotten bootloops.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Wiped caches in between ya. I don't use substratum but I do use xposed though Magisk. I think it has to do with that but am not certain. At any rate, I just use the uninstaller (it's two extra clicks) and don't have any more problems. This was back in January that I had these flash/bootloop problems. Maybe it's not an issue anymore but I just have my routine and it works so... :)

Reactions: jmtjr278

Rajeev

Recognized Contributor
Nov 24, 2012
Chennai , I N D I A
My steps are when i was in 5.1.1 OOS ( I modified some system parts so downloaded full 5.1.2 OOS firmware)

Removed Pattern/Password (For Safety)

Enter TWRP

Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik Cache
Wipe System
Flash 5.1 .2
Install TWRP.img
Flash Magisk
Flash No Verity zip
Reboot

No PC needed. Yea its booted and all apps are there. No data lose..

lyrebird

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
OnePlus 8 Pro
Flashing uninstaller was not successful when I tried to install 5.1.1 and 5.1.2.

Go to TWRP
Flash Magisk Uninstaller
Delete Dalvik and Cache
Flash full ROM (Update)
Flash Magisk
Delete Dalvik and Cache
Reboot

donverse

Sep 8, 2010
Google Pixel 4a
I use the simple method of downloading the full Update ZIP to my phone, rebooting to TWRP, clearing caches, flashing the Update ZIP, flashing Magisk, clearing caches and reboot. That way always worked for me.
No need for such a complicated process based on my experience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Friends,

6. Press Install again.

Any queries are welcome.
    Why not just flash magisk directly after flashing the ROM? In that way recovery stays and you have root.

Go to TWRP
    Flash Magisk Uninstaller
    Delete Dalvik and Cache
    Flash full ROM (Update)
    Flash Magisk
    Delete Dalvik and Cache
    Reboot

OOS Rom needs a boot before magisk.
    If you flash magisk directly after rom flash, it bootloops.