[GUIDE/TUTORIAL/HOWTO] Google Nexus 7 2013 Stock to Android 12

Search This thread

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Thank you so much for a great HOWTO and enabling a current OS on a great old tablet. Installed lineage-19.1-20220920 (deb).

Only feedback is that it wasn't always clear what I should do from the PC, for example in 5 (FORMAT PARTITIONS) it took me a while to realize that I needed to connect to the Nexus from Windows Explorer and push the sysrepart_1380_20 from Downloads over to the Nexus (Internal Storage)., rather than trying to mount it from the Nexus and pull it down.

Perhaps if the sentence read:
Copy sysrepart_1380_20.zip on Internal Storage with Windows Explorer.
(as it does in step 6)
Tutorial updated thx to your feedback.
Enjoy

HectoMan

Oct 17, 2022
I have an old ASUS Nexus 7 32 GB WiFi and tried to install Andoid 12 according to the instructions. I can get to the step 6 (Flash Androind) but when I try to copy the ROM zip file (lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-flo) to the internal storage by using Windows File Manager (copy-paste), it pops up the transfer window, the progress bar goes to ~1/10 of its total length and then copy just simply stops. When I look into the Nexus 7 Internal Storage I can see the file there but the size is 0 KB (tried several times). I've tried going back to step 5 (Format Partitions) to try step 6 again but the end result is always the same. Must be something simple that I am missing?

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
I have an old ASUS Nexus 7 32 GB WiFi and tried to install Andoid 12 according to the instructions. I can get to the step 6 (Flash Androind) but when I try to copy the ROM zip file (lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-flo) to the internal storage by using Windows File Manager (copy-paste), it pops up the transfer window, the progress bar goes to ~1/10 of its total length and then copy just simply stops. When I look into the Nexus 7 Internal Storage I can see the file there but the size is 0 KB (tried several times). I've tried going back to step 5 (Format Partitions) to try step 6 again but the end result is always the same. Must be something simple that I am missing?
Hi, 2 options:

1. Try from another computer
2. Use ADB sideload from TWRP recovery
Open a Windows Command in my files folder
Paste ROM file in there
Enter command: adb sideload lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-flo.zip
It will flash directly ROM on phone

HectoMan

Oct 17, 2022
Hi, 2 options:

1. Try from another computer
2. Use ADB sideload from TWRP recovery
Open a Windows Command in my files folder
Paste ROM file in there
Enter command: adb sideload lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-flo.zip
It will flash directly ROM on phone
Excellente! Tried on another computer with another USB cable and it worked! Just after wiping everything I copied repartitioning tool and the rest of the zip files to the device, repartitioned, installed the rest and, voila, I have an updated Nexus! Thank you for all you hard work and fine instructions! Kudos! 👏

yashin19

Jan 25, 2007
Hello,

I succeeded to install everything apart for the most important for my Nexus 7 main use, is to instal NETFLIX.

How do install Netflix? I followed all the procedures but none of them worked, any idea why? Thx in advance

Keep the excellent work

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Hello,

I succeeded to install everything apart for the most important for my Nexus 7 main use, is to instal NETFLIX.

How do install Netflix? I followed all the procedures but none of them worked, any idea why? Thx in advance

Keep the excellent work
Hi,

use latest Magisk 25 and find some tutorial to bypass measures.
Don't know how to do it these days.

PesToNicK

Jan 24, 2013
Montreal
Worked like a charm, Thank you!!!

Edit: Unable to run Netflix, but not a problem for me (tried to answer previous question)

Last edited:

pappyN4

Feb 5, 2013
Updated my Nexus 7 from stock to lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-flo today. Guide worked nicely :)

One thing I'll mention is that access to the internal storage via USB was disabled by default for whatever reason on lineage. Worked fine with stock and in TWRP.

After a bit of searching, fix was to enable Developer Options, and go to Settings:System: Developer Options: Default USB Configuration and change it from No Data transfer to File Transfer

Can't remember if I needed to do that for stock as well since its been a while since I set it up.

Reactions: djibe89

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Updated my Nexus 7 from stock to lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-flo today. Guide worked nicely :)

One thing I'll mention is that access to the internal storage via USB was disabled by default for whatever reason on lineage. Worked fine with stock and in TWRP.

After a bit of searching, fix was to enable Developer Options, and go to Settings:System: Developer Options: Default USB Configuration and change it from No Data transfer to File Transfer

Can't remember if I needed to do that for stock as well since its been a while since I set it up.
Hi, In the 10th chapter, I stated this problem.

- Tablet not seen by Windows ?
Activate Developer options.
Go to Settings > System > Developer options > Default USB configuration > File transfer

Thx for sharing

PureVelvet

Dec 5, 2022
Hi, the update process worked fine and I configured it then I shut down the tablet.
Now I can't get it started anymore :-(

Are there any tipps or do may have anyone else this problem?
I have ASUS NEXUS 7 LTE / WIFI.
Or can there anyhting be damaged so that the tablet don't start then anymore?

I updated to:
- lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-deb.zip
- BiTGApps-arm-12.1.0-v1.4_signed.zip
- Magisk

If I have USB connected, there is small lamp on the bottom that is blinking and maybe showing to charge it?
But when I push the POWER-Button for more than 5 Second nothing happs, also short push, no reaction :(

When I connect it to the PC It's still beeping but no start or reaction :/

Thanks for any help of someone to maybe get it started again.

Kind regards
André

Last edited:

PureVelvet

Dec 5, 2022
If I have USB connected, there is small light on the bottom that is blinking and maybe showing to charge it?
But when I push the POWER-Button for more than 5 Second nothing happs, also short push, no reaction :(

Last edited:

PureVelvet

Dec 5, 2022
Hi, the update process worked fine and I configured it then I shut down the tablet.
Now I can't get it started anymore :-(

Are there any tipps or do may have anyone else this problem?
I have ASUS NEXUS 7 LTE / WIFI.
Or can there anyhting be damaged so that the tablet don't start then anymore?

I updated to:
- lineage-19.1-20221012-UNOFFICIAL-deb.zip
- BiTGApps-arm-12.1.0-v1.4_signed.zip
- Magisk

If I have USB connected, there is small lamp on the bottom that is blinking and maybe showing to charge it?

Thanks for any help of someone to maybe get it started again.

Kind regards
André

Me dumbass.... the tablet is working fine, seems the power was too low...

Kind regards
André

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE/TUTORIAL/HOWTO] Google Nexus 7 2013 Stock to Android 12.1
    [GUIDE/TUTORIAL/HOWTO] Google Nexus 7 2013 LTE/deb or Wi-Fi-only/flo to Android 12L / LineageOS 19.1 with Netflix/Disney+ working

This detailed step-by-step guide helps you transform your Google Nexus 7 (4G or wifi) with Android 6 to a fresher one with Android 12L.

### I'll make a few notes using this style: PLEASE READ THEM.

Before going further, make sure you have the correct model.
    Go to Settings > About tablet > Model number: Nexus 7
    And on tablet's back cover: Nexus is written vertically (horizontally on 2012 model)
    ### See here if not clear: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/58273/how-to-distinguish-nexus-7-2012-and-nexus-7-2013
    If you have a SIM card slot on the side, it is a LTE model (codename deb), if not, Wi-Fi only alias flo.

Make sure you have latest official updates.
    Connect tab to Wi-Fi network.
    Go to Settings > About tablet > System updates. Download if update is available.

### WARNING. I'm not sure banking apps will work. Office Lens and Adobe Scan don't work.

See all my tutorials at https://github.com/djibe/Android-tutorials

CHANGELOG

v8. Back to BitGApps
    v7. Hack GApps for Android 12.1/12L (thx to @JamesTanner)
    v6. Android 12.1/LOS 19.1
    v5. Stick to 12/19 (not 12L/19.1) to wait for compatible BitGApps
    v4. Move to Android 12, improve fastboot errors, update Magisk to 24.3 + Netflix access
    v3. Move to BitGApps, TWRP 3.6 by @followmsi, repartition script 1380/20 by @k23m
    v2. Netflix and Disney+ with Magisk 23 + updated pack, improve readability
    v1. Initial release

1) DOWNLOAD

- djibe Nexus 7 2013 pack: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gPo8YGO-5b6mqugCDyi7T3k94uecwbfZ/view?usp=sharing
    (contains USB drivers r13 + fastboot & adb + TWRP recovery 3.6.0_9-1 flo & deb by followmsi + Magisk root + repartition zip sysrepart_1380_20 by @k23m).
    ### Use Incognito web browser mode if needed to download pack.
    Unzip pack on Windows desktop.

For both LTE model/deb & Wi-Fi model re-partitionned/flox
    - ROM LineageOS 19.1 Unofficial: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-flo-deb-unofficial-lineageos-19-0-2022-01-07.3569067/
    Download latest build: See top link in thread above

### You may also want LineageOS 18.1 Official: https://download.lineageos.org/flox (download according BitGApps version)

+ BitGApps ARM 12.1 v1.4+: https://github.com/BiTGApps/BiTGApps-Release/releases/

+ Tablet must be fully charged to 100%.

2) INSTALL WINDOWS DRIVERS AND BACKUP

Go to the folder you unzipped earlier.
    navigate to usb_driver_r13-windows > usb_driver.
    Right click on android_winusb.inf and select Install. Confirm with OK.
    Restart Windows.

Make sure Google/provider account is synchronized.
    Backup photos, documents, contacts before going any further (ex: use the backupyourmobile app).
    Connect tab to PC and retrieve data.

3) UNLOCK BOOTLOADER OF GOOGLE NEXUS 7 2013

In Android, go to Settings > About tablet.
    Tap 7 times on "Build number", a notification confirms Developer menu is unlocked.
    Go to Settings > Developer options and switch USB debugging ON.

Go to my /djibe folder you unziped earlier. In Windows address bar (ie E:\root\Google Nexus 7 2013\djibe\flash), type cmd and hit Enter
    to open a Windows Command.

Connect tablet to PC.

Enter command
    Code:
    adb devices
    Command starts adb and returns
    Code:
    077955f1     unauthorized

ADB (Android Debug Bridge) has started but tab is waiting for authorization.
    On tablet, authorize adb commands from Allow USB debugging dialog: tap on OK.

Then enter command
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Tab restarts and displays a droid, lowest message is: LOCK STATE - locked

Enter command
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Using Volume+, select Yes - Unlock bootloader, confirm by pressing Power.
    Lowest message is now: LOCK STATE - unlocked
    ### Unable to run fastboot commands: < waiting for device > ? Go to Windows Device Manager
    ### While in ADB, driver for Android Device should be named Android Composite ADB Interface. In Fastboot: Android Bootloader Interface
    ### Click on View > Display hidden devices, right click on Nexus 7 > Uninstall. Reinstall drivers. No success ? Try from another computer

Use Volume keys to select Start and Power to confirm.
    Tablet is unlocked.

Configure Android quickly, reactivate Developer options and USB debugging.
    Then restart tablet to bootloader using once again
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

4) FLASH TWRP 3.6 RECOVERY

Tablet displays the droid logo.

From Windows command, enter:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.6.0_9-1-flo_followmsi.img
    ### Or for LTE model:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.6.0_9-1-deb_followmsi.img
    Command returns Finished. Total time: 0.995s

Back to tablet, use Volume keys to select Recovery mode, confirm with Power.

### You may experience lagginess within the Recovery.

Welcome to TWRP recovery.
    Check Never show this screen during boot again and Swip to Allow Modifications.

Go straight to Backup > select Boot, System, Data partitions.
    Swipe to Backup and wait during backup.

Back to home screen > Mount (tablet still connected to PC).
    You can access tablet's storage folders from Windows Explorer if Data partition is checked and bottom right button show Disable MTP (within TWRP Mount menu).

From Windows Explorer, navigate to Nexus 7 > Internal Storage.
    Copy TWRP folder and paste it somewhere safe on PC.
    This is a perfect backup in case of crash.

5) FORMAT PARTITIONS

On tablet, now go to Wipe > Format data.
    Type yes and confirm with bottom right check icon.

Now go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Select Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and Swipe to Wipe.
    We cannot flash on wiped partitions. Go to Reboot > Recovery and Swipe to Reboot.

Back to Mount menu.
    From Windows Explorer, now copy sysrepart_1380_20.zip on Internal Storage.
    Disconnect tab.
    Back to tablet, go to Install > tap on sysrepart_1380_20.zip and Swipe to flash.
    Go to Reboot > Recovery and Swipe to Reboot.

### Repartitioned Wi-Fi model is called flox (instead of flo)

6) FLASH ANDROID + GAPPS (+ MAGISK)

On restart, check Never show this screen during boot again and Swipe to Allow Modifications.

Connect tab to PC.

Back to Mount menu.
    Copy ROM + GAPPS (+ Magisk) to Internal storage with Windows Explorer.

Go to TWRP Home > then Install.
    Select lineage-*.zip,
    (for root, needed for Netflix : and Add More Zips, then Magisk.zip)
    and Swipe to force install.

After flash, go to Reboot > Recovery

After TWRP reboot, go to Install > bitgapps*.zip and Swipe to Install.
    ### If you get Error 70, don't be scared. Tablet doesn't know the System partition was increased.
    ### Go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Resize File System > Swipe to Resize and flash GApps.

(Repeat Reboot to Recovery with Magisk v23 or v25.2 if you need root).

Android 12.1 is installed !
    When done message prompts, tap on Wipe Cache/Dalvik and Swipe to Wipe.
    Disconnect tab from PC.
    Then Reboot System.
    Let the tab start (a few minutes).

7) ROOT WITH MAGISK (OPTIONAL)

### Only if you flashed Magisk via TWRP recovery

Configure Android as you like.
    Magisk root starts with Android.
    You can manage permissions and extra modules with Magisk Manager app.

If Magisk Manager doesn't download apk. Download official apk here: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

10) OTHER APPS

- You can use GPS Status & Toolbox for faster GPS fix.
    - Developer options
    Settings > About tablet.
    Tap 7 times on build number.
    Back to Settings > Developer options
    Select USB Configuration > set MTP
    Set Windows animation scale, Transition animation scale and Animator duration scale to .5x

Tablet not seen by Windows or Can't access tablet from Windows Explorer ?
    Activate Developer options.
    Go to Settings > System > Developer options > Default USB configuration > File transfer

11) NETFLIX AND DISNEY+

You may try both apps without more manipulations.

If they don't work, go back to recovery and flash Magisk.

Open Magisk app (v23+).
    Go to Settings > go to App Rename app to Godmode to hide it.

Connect to your Google account, download from Play Store Netflix and Disney+.

### If you are already connected to Google account.
    Clear cache (Settings > Apps > All apps > Google Play Store > Storage & Cache > Clear storage) and restart tab.
    Relaunch Play Store, Netflix and Disney+ will be available in SD.
    Or use Aurora Store (or FDroid) to install them.

That's it.

Enjoy ;-)

Thanks: @followmsi, @k23m, @nbehary, @DevSwift1, @flex1911, @yattodettaman, @emmett.tsai, TopJohnWu, TWRP team, LineageOS team, BitGApps team

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOOT TO RECOVERY

Hold Power + Volume- until Droid logo appears and release buttons, this is Bootloader.
    Press Volume- twice to show Recovery mode and confirm with Power
    Hi. Thanks for such a detailed guide. Unfortunately, exactly like mookdawg7 encountered, my tablet refuses to flash because the img is for flo and my tablet is now flox.

If I understood the instructions you gave mookdawg7, I wouldn't need to ask, but what exactly does "If you need to force flash one day, you can edit updater-script in ROM archive" mean to a noob like myself?

cheers
    Hi, can you wipe all partitions, format Data.
    Reboot to recovery
    Flash https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...HZThGTnM?resourcekey=0-0BunAmDBWluYPghT0Fs6CA

Tell us
    Hi, been running my Nexus 7 rooted and on custom Android 6 based ROM and kernal for probably the last 6 years. Admittedly used very little, but still runs like a champ, if not a little sluggish. So I just decided to check back in to XDA and so happy to find this and try it out. However, GApps link not working for me. "File requested does not exist" Any possibility to fix link?

Thanks very much to OP!!

Edit: wow, pardon the banner, haven't been on XDA like I said for maybe six years, or more!

Edit 2: I believe I found the same GApps from another link djibe89 posted in LG G3 tutorial for the same process. Here:
    Hi, you can use Bitgapps:
    BiTGApps Package ARM 11: https://github.com/BiTGApps/BiTGApps-Release/releases

Clean Flash ROM > restart recovery > flash Gapps > reboot

I'm updating tutorial
    Fantastic! Everything was going smoothly. But the GApps kept failing on install (Unsupported SDK version, and Install config not found). Thought it might be the version I downloaded, but I came back here and found your reply, so rebooted recovery after Lineage 19 install, installed GApps package, wiped Dalvik/Cache, installed Magisk, wiped dalvik/cache, and rebooted system. Joy! Now appears to be up and running. Seems as though reboot>recovery after ROM flash made the difference. Haven't rooted yet, but I am having a lot of fun. Huge gratitude to you for this tutorial and development work, as well as quick reply. Thank you!

Edit: Ahh, I'm pretty rusty. Realized now Lineage 19 is based off of Android 12, instead of 11. So I installed GApps for 11, not 12. Maybe something to do with it...?
    Well, I updated tuto for 12.
    Choose GApps package accordingly

I'm looking to buy a new one to try 12 :D
    And test flashing errors after repartition